• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Geno Thread

TDub301

Smash Journeyman
Geno would be a very nice addition to SSB. Mallow, however, is too fruity (was when I was still playing MARIORPG) and the game already has enough little queer characters who can somehow kickass even with their small stature and woosy looks. We need cool, creative characters like Geno.

Yojimbo

Smash Journeyman
I might be spoiling a little of the game, nothing major though.

Geno is just a doll that is a well known super-hero in Mario's universe. (Apparently, I didn't know of him beforehand.) A star spirit thing from the Star Road was sent to the world to help repair it by gathering the star pieces. He needed a host body, so he took the form of Geno the doll. He attempted to stop Bowyer in Rose Town from shooting arrows and freezing everyone in town. He gets in a sticky situation when Mario and Mallow jump in. They defeat Bowyer, and he joins with Mario and Mallow.

His main weapons are gun-like weapons from his body. He has really high attack and special attack, as well as speed. However, his defenses take a loss from this.

Chaps

Smash Apprentice
MewMewKachooTwo said:
I've just started playing SM-RPG. Fun! ^^ I just got the Princess in my party, and now I'm stuck wondering where to go next!

Btw, definately support Geno. He's cool.
Better late than never! Everyone has to get into the game, at least once. If you're stuck, find a guide on GameFAQs or somewheres. It also has great replay value, because you're likely to have missed a ton of secrets and other stuff first time through.

Yojimbo said:
Geno is just a doll that is a well known super-hero in Mario's universe. (Apparently, I didn't know of him beforehand.) A star spirit thing from the Star Road was sent to the world to help repair it by gathering the star pieces. He needed a host body, so he took the form of Geno the doll. He attempted to stop Bowyer in Rose Town from shooting arrows and freezing everyone in town. He gets in a sticky situation when Mario and Mallow jump in. They defeat Bowyer, and he joins with Mario and Mallow.

His main weapons are gun-like weapons from his body. He has really high attack and special attack, as well as speed. However, his defenses take a loss from this.
Nice recap.
I always thought it was pretty funny that Geno's only weak attribute was basically cancelled out by the relative easiness of the game, where a lot of monsters tend to do 0-1 damage to your party.

TDub301

Smash Journeyman
Chaps said:
Nice recap.
I always thought it was pretty funny that Geno's only weak attribute was basically cancelled out by the relative easiness of the game, where a lot of monsters tend to do 0-1 damage to your party.
ya, good point, but I don't remember having him against the last boss, though. That boss killed characters with ease (funny I don't even remember what the boss looked like). I think I used Peach (with the Bowser shell on so she could keep reviving them) and Bowser, along with Mario who if I remember correctly had to be in the party. ****, this brings back good memories. When the Wii comes out I think I'll play through this again.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
Geno manages just fine on defense if you know how to time it right, his defense isn't the worse in the game I don't think.

By the last boss TDub301, do you mean Smithy or Culex? Smithy was easy but it just takes a little while to beat him because he has a lot of hp. For Culex though, it's recommended to have Bowser OR Geno as your 2d/3rd party member while having Peach and Mario.

The game was too short though, I thought it would've been longer especially that Square helped create the game.

TDub301

Smash Journeyman
I honestly don't remember which, I just know it was the last boss character in the game and it was over when I beat him. But ya, I had Peach, Bowser, and Mario in my party, I do remember that. I think it was because of this game that I became a Bowser fan and started using him in whatever game I could (Mario Tennis, Kart, Smash Bros.) They should put Geno in, he'd be great, take him off the bench and put him in the game coach.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
Ok, you were talking about Smithy then. Bowser had personality in that game and I think Nintendo carried his personality from that game into the other Mario games. Mostly the RPGS where he's a funny character.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Marshigio said:
The game was too short though, I thought it would've been longer especially that Square helped create the game.
You really think so? I thought it was long enough.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
Yeah, going through the main story seemed short for me. Then again I loved every minute of that game. The only side quest that was difficult was the Culex battle.

Oh well, since Square isn't really doing anything with Geno, I think it's safe that Nintendo will be able to buy the rights or at least have him appear as a 3rd party character.

TDub301

Smash Journeyman
Ya true, come to think of it, they always make him out to be a big ****-up. But hey, I guess he really is, since he keeps getting thwarted by Mario. That's one thing I like doing in Melee, fighting against Mario as Bowser and beating the **** out of him for all those times he dropped that bridge out from under him, threw him into stuff, pelted him with fireballs, and jumped all over his kids.

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
Marshigio said:
Yeah, going through the main story seemed short for me. Then again I loved every minute of that game. The only side quest that was difficult was the Culex battle.

Oh well, since Square isn't really doing anything with Geno, I think it's safe that Nintendo will be able to buy the rights or at least have him appear as a 3rd party character.
He is a first party character since he was created as part of the Mario Universe. Nintendo owns the rights to Geno, even though Square made him. It's just like how Rare made up Diddy Kong, but Nintendo has the rights to him, because he is part of the Donkey Kong Universe.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
They don't own the rights to Geno...not yet at least. Someone sent Nintendo an e-mail asking about that and they said they hadn't done so.

They still might put him in as a 1st party character though because he was created in the Mario Universe like you said. But officially, he is a 3rd party character as of right now.

bluekitsune13

Smash Journeyman
Man, having Geno in Brawl would be a dream come true for me. I love SMRPG LotSS. It was the best of the Mario RPGs that have been made. Anyway I'll throw in my 2 cents for a moveset that could be made for him.

I think Geno should break the mold a little. He should be pretty powerful, however be very light and easy to knock away.

Size: 2.5 (think Ness)
Weight: 1.5 (he's made of wood, what do you expect?)
Speed: 3.5 (above average)
Power: 4 (despite being small, Geno should pack a punch!)
Jump: 3 (again, just average)

Entrance pose: A small star decends from above in a zig zag pattern then materializes into Geno. He looks toward the camera and strikes a cool pose.

Regular Moves
A - A quick right punch
A, A - A quick follow up with his left
A ^ - Geno jumps up and headbutts.
A -> - A swift mid kick that causes Geno to spin around
A v - A very quick, but weak low kick.
Dash A - Geno jumps forward and does a front flip that turns into a drop kick.

Smashes
A ^ - Geno crouches, then jumps up and shoots his arms out above him a little ways, then they return to him.
A -> Geno pauses for a bit, then he shoots both his arms out. They travel a short distance then return to him.
A v - Geno shoots both his arms out as he crouches down low. His arms travel around his body in a circular motion to knock away any close opponents, then return to him.

Air
A - Geno twirls his body around.
UA - Geno does a backflip, and his legs will smack anyone above him away.
FA - Geno sticks both his arms out in front of him.
DA - He pauses for a second then takes both his arms to spike an opponent downwards
BA - A short, but powerful rear kick.

Grabs
Attack - Geno pumps his victim full of star bullets.
U - Geno tosses his opponent up high and blasts star bullets at them.
F - He does a flip, then tosses the opponent into the air.
D - Geno stomps repeadiately on his victim, then kicks them away.
B - Geno tosses the victim over his head and shoots many star bullets at them.

Special Moves
B - Geno Beam - As you hold down the B button Geno will start to glow. As you hold B down, the beam will get more powerful. When Geno has sparks flying from him and starts shaking, the beam will be the most powerful if you release B. However if you wait too long after Geno starts shaking, the beam will misfire and you'll do a little damage to yourself. When the beam is fired, its thickness is dependant on how long you held B. When released a beam of energy will travel straight forward the way you're facing. The beam causes multiple hits on an opponent, but lacks knock out capabilities.
B -> - Geno Whirl - Holding the button down, Geno will charge a disk of energy (think destructo disk DBZ style.) Just like using the Geno Beam, when you see sparks and he shakes, it's the best time to throw it or else he'll damage himself. When released Geno will throw an energy disk. It works like Link's boomerang, and you are able to aim it. However it doesn't come back to you, but instead will keep going in the direction it was fired. When it hits a solid surface or an enemy it will bounce off it. Depending on how long you held B, the disk will be larger. But no matter what it will still disappear after around 2 seconds.
B ^ - Geno Boost - Geno rises sharply upward while spinning around. You can slightly control the horizontal movement. Does rapid, but light damage to enemies.
B v - Geno Blast - Just like Beam and whirl, hold down B to charge power, but don't overcharge. When released Geno will call down multicolored beams from above. How many depends on how long you held B. Just like Pikachu's Thunder, any platforms would block the attack.

Taunt: Crosses his arms, turns his body to the side, and looks to the camera.

Super Smash Attack: Geno turns into a cannon, and energy starts to charge up. While this is happening you can control the angle of the cannon and which way the shot is fired. When done charging a ball of light will pop out, and if you press a button an explosion will occur. Its radius is small, but it does a lot of damage to those in the way. Doesn't KO however.

Phew! I'm done.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
For his entrance, have him do that thing when he crosses his arms and nods like he did in SMRPG. Give him a 4 for speed, he was the fastest character in SMRPG you know.

Other than that, I think that's a good moveset.

bluekitsune13

Smash Journeyman
While I'm at it, why not a stage too? It would be the Forest Maze from SMRPG.

The battlefield would be medium sized, like Green Greens in melee. It's realatively flat, but there are a few stumps that come out of the ground. Also there are also a few floating platforms above the ground, which are actually the branches of trees in the background (like in Onett). Every once and awhile you'd see a pair of eyes coming out from a hole in the stumps. Shortly after a Wiggler will pop out. If you're on the ground and hit by it you'll take damage. However if you just jump on his back your character will bounce. If you attack him enough, he'll turn red and start to move very fast all over the ground of the stage. If he hits you you'll take damage and fly away. The music would be remixed from the Forest Stage's theme plus a bit of the boss battle theme.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
You have some really good ideas, that was such a catchy song too! You should post that in one of those Stage threads.

Chaps

Smash Apprentice
I hardly ever used Peach at all in SMRPG, even though she's basically a party "cleric." I always thought it was easier to overflow your inventory with Pick Me Ups (such a cheap item, revival to full health). And once you got the Lazy Shell armor (for Mario), you're practically invincible. I just used the offensive heavy hitters Mario, Geno, and Bowser.

Anyway, the forest maze would be an awesome stage (I'd like to see that song orchestrated, evolving from a midi). Bowyer arrows flying down as hazards would just plain rock.

Super Smash Master said:
He is a first party character since he was created as part of the Mario Universe. Nintendo owns the rights to Geno, even though Square made him. It's just like how Rare made up Diddy Kong, but Nintendo has the rights to him, because he is part of the Donkey Kong Universe.
Yeah, like Marsh said, Nintendo doesn't own Geno (yet). Mic Fox confirmed it, it's on the first post of this thread.

D_B_S

Smash Lord
OMG IS GENO IN SSBB YET.........?

Because I keep listening to the SMRPG on vgmusic.com

lmao

I love that game

GENO FOR PRESIDENT

<_<

>_<

>_>

bbb

Smash Champion
McFox said:
Please, anyone familiar with Mario RPG, help me out:

I'm looking to pull the sound effects from Geno's various weapons and attacks so that I can do a Flash movie. Problem is, I'd have to use a recorder, and I don't want the background music with the sound effects (for obvious reasons). So, can anybody remember any fights in the game that for whatever reason didn't have any background music?
Well, when you fight that Red/Blue samurai guy on the chandeleres where you previously fought Bowser, I recall it being a silent fight...

Or maybe the clone fights in the final stretch...

Bahamut-Prime

Smash Cadet
Geno Would be pretty awesome Legend of The Seven Stars was one of the best RPGs ever and im sure few people would want to play as mallow as he was sufficiently lame but Geno would definetly make a great addition

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Bahamut-Prime said:
Geno Would be pretty awesome Legend of The Seven Stars was one of the best RPGs ever and im sure few people would want to play as mallow as he was sufficiently lame but Geno would definetly make a great addition
I liked Mallow but I liked Geno more, put in Geno first and Mallow later as a downloadable character

Bahamut-Prime

Smash Cadet
The possibilitie for characters a near endless but mallow was more of a healer anyways he wouldnt be much for attack moves but if nintendo tries to add to many characters they get into danger of repeating themselves but giving people the oppurtunity to play as the favourite characters most wont care anyways I certainly hope nintendo adds downloadable characters and levels later on anyways

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Geno is one of my favorite characters of all time. If anyone... Geno deserves to be in SSBB of course they would have to add Mallow too if he does make it in (I don't really care for Mallow though). With the addition of Geno they could also add a SMRPG stage. Rose Town could be the stage (where the geno doll was pocessed by the star).

bbb

Smash Champion
Bowser85 said:
No that wasn't silent at all. And for the record: His name is Boomer.
That's right. Oh well, I for some reason recall it as a silent fight.

Mario RPG it has been TOO long.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Uncle Kenny said:
Geno is one of my favorite characters of all time. If anyone... Geno deserves to be in SSBB of course they would have to add Mallow too if he does make it in (I don't really care for Mallow though). With the addition of Geno they could also add a SMRPG stage. Rose Town could be the stage (where the geno doll was pocessed by the star).
why would they fill the 2 3rd party spots with Geno and Mallow they should just put sonic in now and get the rights for mallow as a downloadable character later

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Yeah but Sonic will probbably be in no matter what, I mean everyone wanted him in Melee and Nintendo and Sega are partners. I don't really care for Sonic but I would be surprised if he wasn't in there. As for Geno... I wouldn't get my hopes up. He isn't a very known character and he didn't play a lead role, plus if Nintendo didn't buy the rights from Square than he probbably won't make it in. Don't take me wrong, if I could decide which new character I wanted in the game it would be Geno hands down. Im just saying don't get your hopes up. Or you will be real dissapointed.

TDub301

Smash Journeyman
Well, it's not like all the Melee characters are well-known. Particularly the older, "classic" characters like Mr. Game and Watch and Ice Climbers. At the time, I don't think many people had played Fire Emblem like that, so Marth and Roy probably weren't well-known, either. I don't think F-Zero was as popular as most of the other games, so by comparison, Caption Falcon probably wasn't that popular either (except from the previous Smash Bros.). It all boils down to strategy. Nintendo will probaby put in characters from games they want to make to promote those games (ala Fire Emblem) or remakes of old games. So if Geno does get in, don't be surprised if we get a new Mario RPG, which I would also love to have, personally.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
You might have something there, rumors have been going around about a possible remake of Mario RPG. But Geno getting in is still like a 50/50 chance kind of thing.

Destruction_King

Smash Ace
Uncle Kenny said:
You might have something there, rumors have been going around about a possible remake of Mario RPG. But Geno getting in is still like a 50/50 chance kind of thing.

I do believe however, if Square Enix is to send a 3rd party representitive into SSBB, Geno's pretty close to the top of the list. It'd make more sense for Square to put him in rather than, oh let's say... Cloud and Sephiroth.

TDub301

Smash Journeyman
Well, ya, since Cloud and Sephiroth, despite their popularity, have never been in any Nintendo console made game. Although, I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually released FFVII for DS somehow (since they're starting to rerelease the older FF games on DS and they may end up rereleasing all the old games and might take it a step farther than they did with all the PS1 rereleases and keep going with VII). Which would open up a whole other can of worms. I still wouldn't be upset if they made it into the game, even though there's no chance they will. Of course, after saying that, Nintendo, in it's attempts to be unpredictable, may go ahead and do that anyway. Now back to our topic, Geno should be in Brawl.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Wishful thinking but the 3rd party position will probabbly be filled by Sonic. I want Geno more than Sonic but his popularity will probably draw more to the game than Geno. If Nintendo did buy the rights of Geno as rumored, we just might have a shot then.

TDub301

Smash Journeyman
Ya, I'd actually rather have Sonic. I spent many hours playing through those old Sonic games and I would like to see Sonic and Mario duke it out, finally.

Top Bottom