• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Offical Link on Epona for SSB4 thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
I never really liked the idea of Minda on wolf llink because one; link is way too cool to have some chick riding on him, and two; minda is too amazing to be tied down to a wolf... BUT... Link on epona, thats something completely different!

Link and epona have been in three games now, three. (thats more games than shiek and marth and~ roy combined!) They have tons of room for cool moves, and they look really cool too!

They should be really fast, like as fast a fox, and strong like DK but still be able to pull of good combos because thats how they work in the game, you know?

Also, a useless pictures!

Also~
Move List

A - head butt (epona does a head butt, it comes out very fast with a little bit of lag timee)
forward A - tackle (epona does a stronger head butt, it comes out relitively slow and has decent wind down lag)
down A - waist slash (Link leans to epona's side and does a slash with his master sword this is at about the wait of an opponent.)
up A - sky cut (link swings the sword above his head in an arc, relitively fast but only could realistically hit people above link and epona)
forward smash - Kick (this is a strange one, but Epona rears out and kicks behind her, it very strong and fast but has big wind down.)
Down smash - stomp(epona stomps down in front of herself)
Up smash - Link does his signature up smash but just on epona's back, the frist two attacks pull the enemy in the last has good knock back)

air A - back flip (epona does a back flip. enemy's hit by it won't get too much knock back though)
air F-A sky butt (epona does another head butt, decent speed, laggy recovery though)
air D-A air stomp (epona spomps down with all four hoves, this is a spike)
air B-A back kick (epona kicks behind her, good speed and range)
air U-A stab (link stabs his sword above the pair)

B - bomb arrow, it doesn't go as far as link's normal arrows, but it has more knock back and damage
forward B - Boomerang it is similar to link's normal one, but it causes more stun.
Down B - rapid Dash (epona charges forward hitting opponents in the way multiple times for good damage, in the air this is a meteor smash. The move continue for a few seconds or if you cancel it by hitting B again, Also this is epona's main recovery.)
Up B - Spin attack (Link does a spin attack while on epona. it has good range but can be ducked by most characters, in the air it doesn't bring them very high.

LINK ON EPONA FOR SSB4!!~

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
It's an interesting idea, but I can't imagine it working very well. Controlling Epona while also controlling Link's attacks and Epona's attacks would be very awkward. Plus, how would it work with some of the game's mechanics? For example, swimming, lying on the ground, hanging onto a ledge, double jumping, etc. Not to mention that we already have two Links.

I think that this belongs in the "impossible" character thread.

BerryBomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BerryBomber
If this was some sort of 2nd final smash for link, id go for it. But both of them together having a full moveset just doesent seem possible to me.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Link on Epona, no Wolf Link and Minda!

LINK ON EPONA FOR SSB4!!~

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Link on Epona action!

I'd prefer Epona as an AT.

:phone:

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Shouldn't this idea be on a Legend of Zelda Character Thread?

@Spire I'd LOVE to ride Rambo from DKC more than anything. Riding Epona sounds weird, though.

Vyzor

Smash Journeyman
This would be an extremely big waste of a character space. Not to mention silly. xD

"This games winner is....LINK ON EPONA".

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I'd prefer Epona as an AT.

:phone:
I like this idea too. The person who summons her would get to ride her. It would be similar to Wario's Bike but different.

First Epona can attack and you will be able to make her Kick, stomp, bite and charge enemies similar to how calvary knights would use a horse.

Some of the rider's attacks will be incorporated (for example up attacks and specials) which would give make her different depending on the rider.

You can also dismount her and strike her which will cause her to run which can be used to charge enemies. This also allows people who don't like riding her to get off.

I think the double jump is possible but you won't be able to cliff hang. Instead you will be able to jump off of her in a form of a super jump (Yoshi knows what I'm talking about).

D

Deleted member

If epona is an Assist trophy then Yoshi should be too.
When Epona gets his own spin-off series and great popularity within the main Zelda series, THEN you can compare him to Yoshi.

Oh, and when he becomes more than just a plain horse. Yoshi is a cartoon dinosaur that grabs things with it's long tounge and eats them, lays eggs, and uses said eggs as projectile weapons.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Epona is a girl btw.

I understand that Epona isn't as promident as yoshi, but did you know who marth was before melee? How many copies did Ice Climbers sell? Even going back to the original smash... Samus? The girl who hadn't had a game in ages and was easily one of nintendo's title that could have been over looked for characters that were actually popular. Ness? Jigglypuff?! really?

Smash isn't just about fufiling the norm thats been clear since the begining.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
Epona is a girl btw.

I understand that Epona isn't as promident as yoshi, but did you know who marth was before melee? How many copies did Ice Climbers sell? Even going back to the original smash... Samus? The girl who hadn't had a game in ages and was easily one of nintendo's title that could have been over looked for characters that were actually popular. Ness? Jigglypuff?! really?

1) Marth was the main character of the first game in a series that was well-known in Japan, and a series that Sakurai himself enjoyed very much.

2) Sakurai likes to revive random retro (REALLY old) characters to surprise people, and usually chooses from games or characters that he enjoyed. That explains the Ice Climbers, who are also the stars of their series.

3) Samus is, once again, the main character of her series, a franchise which had several titles before her inclusion in Smash 64 and was at least somewhat popular.

4) Ness is from one of Sakurai's personal favorite series (don't have a source, maybe someone else does), so bias warranted his inclusion. Oh and he was also the main character of the most recent game in his series. See a pattern?

5) Jigglypuff is a Pokemon that was vastly popular in Japan apparently, and with the rising popularity of Pokemon, why not include a second character?

Epona is not the main character of any Zelda game, and in fact has only appeared in three. There are far more deserving Zelda characters that have appeared in more games, are more popular, and are more relevant to their respective series, and most of them still don't have a chance. Epona has to compete with them first. Plus, as stated before, Playing as "Epona on Link" would just be awkward and difficult to implement...

As others have stated, she would work better as an Assist Trophy. What's wrong with that?

D

Deleted member

Epona is a girl btw.

No, but the Japanese sure knew who Marth was. (Was in the Top 20 in the pre-Melee poll.)
Ice Climbers were added for a different reason other than "selling"; they were added to be an "NES Representative".
Despite being absent from the N64, Samus was a relatively popular character. Why don't you tell me who was more popular at the time that could've been included that's not from a series already represented. (As in, replace the Metroid series with a different series altogether). You can't, can you?
Mother was a cult classic series, and Mother 2/Earthbound is no exception. (Also, Hal Labs had a bit to do with the series, and guess who the main team that made Smash Bros. is? HAL LABS.)
Jigglypuff was the 2nd most popular Pokemon in Japan at the time of her Smash debut.

Epona doesn't even begin to compare with these characters, as awkward as they are to you. She's just a horse.

Among curveballs, Epona is among the lowest tier.

jigglover

Smash Lord
When Epona gets his own spin-off series and great popularity within the main Zelda series, THEN you can compare him to Yoshi.
Who wouldn't buy More of Epona's tests: How old is your brain? Test 1 would be how many Links can you stampede to death as Epona! Any takers!?

Anyway, I think that this thread will die out soon, since pretty much everything that has needed to be said has been.
Out of interest though, <3, did this thread start out as a good idea you wanted to put up, but then once you saw the bad popularity it was getting you felt like you needed to defend it?

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
No, but the Japanese sure knew who Marth was. (Was in the Top 20 in the pre-Melee poll.)
Ice Climbers were added for a different reason other than "selling"; they were added to be an "NES Representative".
Despite being absent from the N64, Samus was a relatively popular character. Why don't you tell me who was more popular at the time that could've been included that's not from a series already represented. (As in, replace the Metroid series with a different series altogether). You can't, can you?
Mother was a cult classic series, and Mother 2/Earthbound is no exception. (Also, Hal Labs had a bit to do with the series, and guess who the main team that made Smash Bros. is? HAL LABS.)
Jigglypuff was the 2nd most popular Pokemon in Japan at the time of her Smash debut.

Epona doesn't even begin to compare with these characters, as awkward as they are to you. She's just a horse.

Among curveballs, Epona is among the lowest tier.
Woah woah woah... Epona isn't just a horse... Epona was the driving force behind many of the games she was in. In MM epona was the reason you went to termina in the first place.
Similarly in TP she was a big driving force for link.

How can you not remember getting on epona for the first time and just riding around exploring the world? Epona's always been a huge character for me.

@jiggleover
No.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
Woah woah woah... Epona isn't just a horse... Epona was the driving force behind many of the games she was in. In MM epona was the reason you went to termina in the first place.
Similarly in TP she was a big driving force for link.

How can you not remember getting on epona for the first time and just riding around exploring the world? Epona's always been a huge character for me.

@jiggleover
No.
It's seems like your main arguments for this character are driven by your own bias, which is not what grants a character's inclusion (unless the character has vast amounts of fan support, which Epona does not).

Epona is a great character, but she just isn't fit for Smash. Her inclusion would be awkward (especially considering the fact that we will have three Links now, two of which are actually literally the same Link) and it just wouldn't work very well when mixed with other characters' play styles.

Also, you say that she's a "driving force" behind the many games she was in, but there are a few you neglect to realize. First of all, "the many" is actually only three games where she had a real role, the rest being small cameo appearances. Second of all, she isn't quite a "driving force" in these games either, being more of a gameplay element that every so often moves the story along.

Despite the fact that most people don't even expect a newcomer to the Zelda series, she still has some competition. Think about Impa, a regular in the series and also a well-known, every-so-often requested character (more than Epona). Think about Tingle, a character that, while hated by many, has still spawned his very own spin-off series and has appeared in multiple Zelda titles as well. Think about Toon Zelda, who would serve as an easy "throw-in" character to buff up the roster if Sakurai wanted to. Think about Ghirahim, one of the more recently popular characters who may be a one-shot, but is also somewhat popular. Think about Vaati, who is an older recurring villain that was once very popular and is still requested from time to time. Think about Masked Link, Fierce Deity Link, all the other popular yet unlikely forms of Link. And lastly, think about the Skull Kid. Now he is a true "driving force" in Majora's Mask, far more than Epona.

All of these characters have or had at one point popularity to rival other Smash competitors, as well as truly being "driving forces" in their respective games, all unlike Epona, who is neither a very popular character (much less with Link on her back), nor a very prominent character in the series compared to others.

Certainly, Epona does deserve some sort of recognition, however. What is wrong with a "mountable Assist Trophy" as some have suggested? Perhaps she could make some sort of interesting stage appearance. These would be fine, but she just has too much against her inclusion as a playable character.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Until very recently (In spirit tracks) Zelda was just a... how did you put it "a gameplay element that every so often moves the story along." In the vast majority of the games she is in she is seen breifly and then captured or sleeps or something.

I'm not saying anything is wrong with a mountable assist trophy. I am saying Epona shouldn't be it. You guys say impossible this, unrealistic that. How realistic is bowser riding around on epona? Charizard? You can't have it both ways people.

EDIT:
Also who says toon link will make it back in the game anyway? Take him out put link on epona in.)

Vyzor

Smash Journeyman
Link on Epona. How about we throw in Link on a Boat as a character too? Also, Link on a Loftwing. Link in a train.

It's just Link...on Epona. That would be such a massive character space waste. Not to mention lazy and just stupid.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Maybe we could have some of the other ones as skins... it'd be hard to animate the attacks so that they remain consistent between one another.

EDIT:
Oh wiait... was that sarcasm? How is this a lazy idea?

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
Until very recently (In spirit tracks) Zelda was just a... how did you put it "a gameplay element that every so often moves the story along." In the vast majority of the games she is in she is seen breifly and then captured or sleeps or something.

I'm not saying anything is wrong with a mountable assist trophy. I am saying Epona shouldn't be it. You guys say impossible this, unrealistic that. How realistic is bowser riding around on epona? Charizard? You can't have it both ways people.

EDIT:
Also who says toon link will make it back in the game anyway? Take him out put link on epona in.)
You're forgetting that Zelda is... y'know... the namesake of the entire franchise. My reasoning for Toon Zelda is that she'd be a much easier (and important/popular... she sin't even that popular!) character to implement if Sakurai was looking to beef up the roster with simple throw-in characters. He did it before in Melee...

Then how about just no Epona? There are other ways. What if each character has a new special move, or multiple final smashes? Perhaps Link could just mount Epona as an extra final smash or a new special move.

First of all, Toon Link has quite a few more games then "Link on Epona." Second of all, Toon Link is actually the main character of his games. Third, Toon Link is a veteran with his own play style, and people would not take kindly to cutting a veteran for another character when that other character is "Link on Epona". You might like it, but do you know how many people that would upset? The answer is A LOT. Lastly, Sakurai has said himself that he feels it is important to have a child version of Link in the game along with regular adult Link (I don't have a source, but I'm sure most people here could back me up on this or find me a source). Don't argue with the guy who is developing the game.

You also failed to respond to all the other characters who beat out Epona's chances in every single way. Seriously, don't get your hopes up for Link on Epona....

D

Deleted member

This sounds almost like the guy that wanted Mickey Mouse in Smash, and despite what Sakurai said about 3rd Parties having to debut in a video game, he wouldn't listen to what anyone said because he "heard he had a chance".

D

Deleted member

Mickey supposedly has a chance because Epic Mickey isn't the same as regular Mickey. :troll:
In which case, we should have Maui Mallard/Cold Shadow instead as a Retro rep, as that game was cool, unlike Epic Mickey. :troll::troll:

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
I hope they bring Pichu back... I wouldn't mind Link on Epona not making it if Pichu made it...

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
Now THAT is something that actually might be possible, but in the form of a costume change rather than a separate character.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Now THAT is something that actually might be possible, but in the form of a costume change rather than a separate character.
I lolled! I assume he means either Pichu as playable or Epona as playable, though preferabley both. He's putting all his eggs in one basket and it's about to get thrown off the table :awesome:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I remember this exact thread and moveset in the pre-Brawl days.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yes.

The quote 'fast like Fox, and strong like DK but still able to pull off combos, cause that's how they work in the game, you know' made me remember it. IIRC it's exactly copy pasted as well. But, made by the same poster.

Ah well, there's still plenty of other threads around. :rolleyes:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well, that kinda explains the whole "I never liked Link on Midna" thing since that character isn't very popular anymore

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
I've been found out... Twas only a matter of time. I've never really been serious... however I am thinking of making T-shirts (the t stands for troll) if there is interest for the "link on epona for brawl" or LoEfB.

Keep beasting kiddo! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom