• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The North Carolina Melee Power Rankings! Updated 8/14/14!

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
So, do you think your Sheik will be able to take down PP's Kirby?

According to a Kirby main I know, Sheik is one of Kirby's better matchups. Not as good as Ganon, but still one of the better ones.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
Idgaf about pps kirby.

If I were to play it again, id probably pick ganon though. I don't think id like kirbys weight as sheik. Plus, ganon bair w orks better against kirby, id imagine. That move alone should be able to beat kirby. I just wasn't dedicated enough to actually outspacing him in our last two battles.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
If you have a way of playing PAL games (like a freeloader or a homebrew wii, or a copy of PSO so you can stream an AR to your cube), I suppose I could loan you the disk. Maybe. I've only sold 1 or 2 games my whole life, which is why I still have a box of games from the original Gameboy. And those were games I didn't like. Melee's a game I like.

Chris, I'm looking forward to seeing your Sheik. Are you willing to play my Ganon a bit? I could use some experience in the matchup, since I know it's pretty bad for Ganon.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
Yeah, ill play you when we get a chance.

Expect a lot of crouching. I think its the thing that ^ did that frustrated me the most. I look forward to seeing how you deal with it.

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
Ok Theo, ill be sure to check out sheiks across the pond. Are there any you'd recommend not named amsah/over?

Also, you guys generic sheik tips made me lol.

I forgot about the turn tilt one. I saw the vid and what not, but forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder.
I would not recommend overtriforce actually. I'd check out ice, android, and jadde. I wish amsah played more, but definitely study his vs fox and peach (his set vs armada at beast 2). cant remember any other names off the top of my head. Also, they like to not put character names in the titles sometimes so find channels for specific countries. for example northernsmash for sweden, smashnederland (i think) for holland, smashbrosuk for uk et cetera, though jolteon is the best sheik in the UK that actually goes to tournaments and i wouldnt recommend studying him.

K, how much?
$2

how is sheik nerfed in PAL? weaker move set?..that could be easier grabs in some cases though, so I'm assuming that there's a lot more than that.. someone explain it to me please, mention jab reset percentages and most importantly what it does to her grab game. what's the dair like?
PAL Sheik off the top of my head: D-throw trajectory similar to Bowser's d-throw - awkward outward angle that makes it SO ****ING HARD to kill jiggs/peach, comboing marth is a lot less free. the only comboing u MIGHT get off of it is dash attack at mid percents..risky against FC nair from peach, no chaingrabs obviously, tech chasing falcon is still somewhat free so w/e, IMO techchasing fox/falco is easier because they will always land in front of u -> their safest option is to DI away and tech roll away, but that covers SO much space on stage that they are most likely going to be near an edge afterward, but even so sheik can hard call tech away and grab with time to spare. its also extremely easy to call tech roll behind sheik. @PP: Yes, its a bit easier to react to tech in place because u are already walking forward to their tech, so I like PAL tech chasing. Also, u end up tech chasing way more characters in PAL from d-throw: i was in a tourney match against a mediocre peach and was kinda lost as to how to tack on damage from d-throw and then i realized "LULZ i can tech chase peach," so i did. Ganon is a ***** because he can cg u and u cant cg him back so instead of tacking on a good 30+ percent from a d-throw, d-throw now becomes a situation where if u miss one read ur getting jabbed/tilted/grabbed by ganon...which sucks.

Up-air knockback is nerfed significantly. I up-aired a peach at 130% on yoshi's and it didnt kill -_-" BUT its super good for comboing/starting up combos into fair/more up-air, even against floaties! its like ur main juggle move against sheik/marth/other middle weight characters (marth's weight is slightly different in pal btw)

OH and i forgot to say that b/c d-throw trajectory is so janky, near the edge its often a better option that f-throw because u recover much sooner from the throw AND its weird for the opponent to sweet spot, often leading to a free down smash edgeguard or needle.

Obviously other changes make playing sheik a lot different matchup wise; fox up smash nerfed, falcon's gentleman can be spammed cuz its free, falco's dair often lets u out of combos :D jiggs not nerfed AT ALL, peach not nerfed AT ALL (GAY), and of course, no CG in sheik dittos.

I dont think jab reset percentages are different. that has more to do with individual characters anyway.

Up smash kill percent is slightly nerfed, though it was hard for me to notice a difference.

Her dair is no different, though it wont combo into uair ftw or up smash sometimes cuz of the nerf, but meh..its the same

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
I hate crouching. It'll be interesting to find a way to deal with that. I'm pretty sure my Kirby is just as good vs. Sheik as my Ganon, but I'd rather use Ganon since I can learn more that way.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
I had seen that. Unfortunately my Kirby's not that good yet. I'd heard Needles were really good with Kirby, so I'm surprised he didn't use them. I've never tried them myself, though.

Don't worry Chris, I'll go all Ganon against you.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Hahaha Theo wow Dthrow for edgeguard setup was definitely the most interesting thing on that list.

Good post! =)

Do you think it changes Sheik's position in the tier list in PAL(relatively or otherwise)?

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
the something weird wasn't in any particular set. it was the culmination of those sets that's weird. especially since i wasn't in a particularly "melee"esque mood. anybody who was at the tournament probably could've told you i wasn't the happiest camper. at least not when i first showed up. luckily jflo is cool, so by the end of the day i guess i felt a little better.

me beating karn, EWB, stingers, robert pan, and KP in sets all in the same day is not a typical walk in the park for me. i consider myself even if not very close to even vs all these guys. so even though i didn't get any outstanding wins (ie, vs twitch), it shows that my ganondorf is still very capable, which is a result i honestly didn't expect to see from this tournament.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
Really? From my experience against them and players their level, I feel confident I can come close to taking, or take 2 stocks off of them, when I'm playing at my best. Especially when I get better at using DI to get out of combos.

Your Ganon's a lot better than mine, so I'd expect you to be able to beat them when you're playing at your best.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
one thing you're going to learn raphael, is that it's not that hard to be as good as i am. what's hard, is getting better than what i am with ganon.

you end up having to play ganon more like a street fighter character than a melee character. i think my one session of trying to learn that game helped me way more than anything directly melee related i've done in the last year.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
Interesting. I might have to download a demo for street fighter so I can see what it's like.

EDIT: I can get demos for II and III for my Xbox. Is there any one you think would be better?

EDIT2: Forget that. I just tried both, and it's clear I'm not going to get anywhere with the game unless someone sits down and explains to me what's going on. All I can do at the moment is button mash, and I hate button mashing. It makes me really frustrated.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
well, i just tried to learn ssf4. their fundamentals are the same, i imagine. unless you can play with other people, i doubt you'd find it very useful.

basically, i got where i was now without thinking particularly about anti-airs, controlling space, and not too much about even looking at my opponent and building a wall at any point on the screen. i'm still pretty bad at looking at my opponent rather than my own techskill things, but i've gotten better about it.

but basically, street fighter feels a lot more situation by situation based rather than melee which feels more...flowy. but once you look at melee as a string of situations, ganon fares much better. the flowy feel suits characters more like falco (visible directly through a playstyle like rontology's) and not focusing to separate situaitons and slowing down can get ganon ***** very quickly.

but yeah, those games feel slower, but once you slow down melee, it can be pretty obvious what people are doing lol.

edit: yeah, it's pretty much useless without some guidance.

$mike

Smash Ace
i seriously can't wait

smash is slowly becoming a substitute to hold me over until we climb

pp hit me up and let's do the thang and get this new list out

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
do u have access to online play?

or youtube? lol

learning the basic mechanics and then watching good players is pivotal to learning any new game

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
good.

cause i don't fit the characteristics of a sheik player. my existence is that of a ganon main.

just like to me, moo's existence is probably most like a doc player. not really a peach player. be that as it may, his peach is awesome to me.

Juno McGrath

Smash Hero
if I had to pick a character for cam to be it would be puff, falco is too srs for him.

If wolf was in melee I could see cam playing him

I dont know what my existence main is, wario I guess but hes not in melee either :/

Guess Ill just have to wait for sora/riku in smash four.

Top Bottom