• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The North Carolina Melee Power Rankings! Updated 8/14/14!

Yeroc

Theory Coder
BRoomer
This is why I've begun to think that nontechnical bachelor's degrees (sorry if I offend most of you guys) are something of a racket. Not necessarily an intentional one, at least on the part of the universities themselves (they're just trying to make money the same as everyone else), but a professional world barrier to entry that didn't exist 20 years ago and probably doesn't need to now. Things like Engineering are different; you kind of have to understand the very sophisticated details of a lot of stuff to be in those fields, so the long-term commitment and expense is somewhat justified. Those people (the ones that can find jobs anyhow) are fortunate though: their typical starting pay is as much as twice what other Bachelors make.

Just talking about Bachelor's degrees, this is of course excluding professions like Medicine, Law, and Administration. Engineering is actually quickly joining those ranks, though. Being a Master of Science (coolest title ever, btw) in Engineering is becoming almost requisite if you want to do anything with long-term potential. "Oh, you're an Engineer. Do you know much about computers? We have a position open in our IT department."

The whole thing is becoming a crock of ****, unless you're top stuff, if you ask me.

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
The difference with engineering though is that you don't have to have a specified engineering degree to make it your profession... math, physics, chemistry, etc. are fairly acceptable.... which is cool because most engineering positions have little to do with what you learned at school..

I think an engineer could get a job easy like you suggested Corey in that situation but... sounds more targeted to networking to me, like someone with networking / server admin experience. Most engineers are like, field engineer techs and don't have tremendously hard jobs. It's not a prerequisite for the majority of them to be computer savvy... mostly you're just trained with the type of computers/instruments you'll have to read for whatever the heck you're doing, that you've likely never seen before..

so yeah, back to my original point of it not being about what you learned at school... companies basically select applicants from the more mathmatical/objective degrees to train as engineers. There are even specified 2 year degrees that will put you working alongside people with engineers with B.S.'s in many engineering fields... which in itself shows the demand for engineers, and the opportunity to have success with it.

So really... it's all just a racket, imo. but obviously, all degrees aren't equal. the people with non-technical degrees either chose that path because they were uninterested in math/science degrees, or intimidated by the difficulty of attaining one. The uninterested thing has just never flew with me though, because my own personal interests and desires have never been the #1 priority in my degree choice..... have always thought about that in regard to my future, mostly financially.

So really, to someone like me anyway, the choices are:

medicine - Put a **** ton of effort in, go to school for 2x longer, and eventually start making bank but with huge responsibility in many cases.

economics/administration/law... all 3 of these majors have positions that make ****ing bank, yet also have people in positions that don't make bank. The difference in money is dependent on either how well you move money around, or how well....... well, we all know what makes a "good" lawyer lol. additional schooling outside bachelor's is optimum for more $$.

engineering, 4 years of schooling, 45k-110k salary with benefits,,,, and opportunities for more $$ are more reflective of your experience, skills, effort, etc. You are more likely to make more money with additional schooling and a specified engineering degree, but it's certainly not necessary in current times.

Majority of other majors whether interesting or not -- less opportunity, less money, with a few exceptions like networking.

How I see it, anyway.

Juno McGrath

Smash Hero
I hosted a melee tournament in Charlotte and got m2k

Smd

Also I'm officially stealing the herb title for my next tournament since vilt thought it was okay to steal my laptop.

Smd

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
sick livestream read imo:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=318262

also pr update after the next tourney probably
I've been planning to read that so I can have a better stream at the next tournament. I definitely need to be more restrictive about who commentates, since letting people like me on there was a mistake. Also, I'll set it up so people can look at the commentators in between games.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
I agree with it being an awesome idea, but I'd have to buy an external camera in order to do that. Otherwise I'd guarantee having it at the next tournament. I meant to have a commentator cam at NCSU, but I forgot to set it up. Otherwise we would have had one.

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
Yeah college is expensive as ****. The problem is most degrees don't teach you to do anything, which means the degree basically just says you can put but in a starting position one place higher in responsibility than people with just a high school degree (starting) and the same goes for those with/without a high school degree. The same is true with B.S./B.A. versus Masters versus PhD (for the sciences at least).

You really gotta look at expected values and know (at least) what you don't want to do for the rest of your life before you commit to paying anywhere from 20k-50k a year. Basically, if you aren't in engineering or get a luck starting job you will probs be making 20-30k per year after graduation. It would be hard to spend less than 20k per year to live (including everything). If you are 80k in dept (you pay for your entire degree at an instate school), you will be paying around $800 a month = 9.6k per year. So yeah, if you make 30k you will pay that dept off in 10 years and have no spending money or savings. This is worst case.

Of course, you can make more than that and will surely get raises, so this will get better over the ten years. Plus after five years most people will move jobs, which means about a 10k increase in salary due to the experience. Also, even doing a whatever job will eventually lead to a manager position which can pay between 50-90k +++ depending on your experience. So if you work hard you don't have this glass ceiling holding you down, with a degree you have the ability to rise in your company through various roles. Without the piece of paper, it is a lot harder to do this because people won't trust you with responsibility ( I would have to get into company promotion pathways to really explain why you are so heavily judged by your incoming position versus your merit at work, but that would take longer).

The point is a degree can do a lot for you if you are willing to take certain jobs you may not like. But, at the same time they are a huge waste of money if you view them as goal in themselves. What do you expect to do getting an English degree? Do English??? Write books, know about books? You either can go into editing, go on to grad school to become a prof, or do something completely unrelated. Only by doing something different can most people find financial success. They are called liberal arts schools/degrees not because they teach you to do art (you have a better getting into Harvard law than becoming a professional artist), but because they teach you to think critically and require upper level problem solving skills to accomplish (usually). There are of course many other reasons to go to college (like beer and *****es) that I won't get into, but that is why LA colleges exist.

So yeah, you gotta have the right goal going in and be able to think 20 years down the line for when that diploma will really pay off, and it can, but you have to be ready for low income first 10 years after graduation until that debt is payed off. But wait. WTF am I even talking about. Who am I talking too? Is lightside the opposite of darkside? Was there character development??? Why am I not on the PR? PP...**** you ****!
Why has no one adequately reflected on this piece of art?

Mahone

Smash Champion
this college/real life talk is making me sick... u go to school for 16-24 years, then get a job for ~40, then retire when ur too old to really do anything, then slowly ur mind and body rot away to the point where u are senile, then u die... im not sure why people are so ok with this...

anyway, when is the next tourney? i feel like actually doing well, which is rare, which means i'll be practicing puff and getting 2nd

bossa nova ♪

Smash Champion
lmaooooo @ david using this site for bimonthly walls of text... i'm also pretty sure he records himself talking and then transcribes it

mahone you can't gain anything that is beyond what you imagine for yourself

trust me, i've been talking to kage

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
this college/real life talk is making me sick... u go to school for 16-24 years, then get a job for ~40, then retire when ur too old to really do anything, then slowly ur mind and body rot away to the point where u are senile, then u die... im not sure why people are so ok with this...

anyway, when is the next tourney? i feel like actually doing well, which is rare, which means i'll be practicing puff and getting 2nd
is that worse than working for ~60 years at a likely ****tier job and then dying?

edit: thank you, cam, for your reflection; at least somebody here had the guts

I give it a C-

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

anyway yeah mahone is gonna **** you guys plz train plz

or clear your throats day before the tournament

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
we don't even have a tournament planned for him to **** us at.

why would he get motivated the day after our biggest tournament in a year.

things i don't care about.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
it'll be next month sometime does it really matter exactly when? <.<

everyone got motivated after apex I'm not sure why it matters when mahone gets motivated so long as he does.....

things I care about.

Mahone

Smash Champion
is that worse than working for ~60 years at a likely ****tier job and then dying?

edit: thank you, cam, for your reflection; at least somebody here had the guts

I give it a C-
naw i wasn't saying that, i agree with what THO said about thinking 20 years ahead etc. etc., but honestly...

if u don't LOVE... NOT LIKE, BUT LOVE, what u do, then ur life is gonna be mediocre no matter what, sure u'll make money and get through it... but thats it. You'll "get through" life by having fun and drinking on the weekends so you can forget about the difficult work-week and then dread every monday like u were born to be miserable...

everyone says do what u love, but then no one really does it cuz its usually not very practical financially... but u might as well die trying rather than living a life of mediocrity, thats my opinion.

anyway, no tourney for a month... lame

Mahone

Smash Champion
anyone wanna go to a nova tournament on the 25th... last week there was one and it had 60 entrants, not sure why, but nova got hype about smash again, so this should have a ****load of people

Top Bottom