• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The North Carolina Melee Power Rankings! (Updated 2/11/10!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TJ Infinat

Smash Ace
raeford or chapel hill depends on the time of year
u are giving me reasons for the "problem," while im saying that the "problem" lends itself to inaccuracy

therefore, there is little reason to take it seriously

if the bottom few are so hard, I would recommend just doing a top 5.

but if the bottom few spur competition, then by all means ...

but im just saying that I dont think they are "legit" anough to be taken seriously and thus should not rationally have any effect on anyone to want to change them, since any changes are ephemeral at best, unless someone were to somehow jump to second or third spot

tl;dr im not disagreeing with you, just adding on to what you are saying based on what I think (which i dont think some people quite understand)
people misunderstanding you is. . . a common occurance

- I heard you were dating cam.
. . . . .
. . . . .
I thought *we* had something.

In other words: Choose NOA. Me or Cam.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
u are giving me reasons for the "problem," while im saying that the "problem" lends itself to inaccuracy

therefore, there is little reason to take it seriously

if the bottom few are so hard, I would recommend just doing a top 5.

but if the bottom few spur competition, then by all means ...

but im just saying that I dont think they are "legit" anough to be taken seriously and thus should not rationally have any effect on anyone to want to change them, since any changes are ephemeral at best, unless someone were to somehow jump to second or third spot

tl;dr im not disagreeing with you, just adding on to what you are saying based on what I think (which i dont think some people quite understand)
So, because we have a competitive 7-10(for discussion let's use that) we shouldn't value the PRs? What if we got the exact same 1-10 every time? That's stupidly boring and reflects a stagnant scene. Because we have an ever-changing PR it shows that we are a developing state and our players are improving.

Do you have a problem with that?

dr.neo

Smash Champion
I'm gonna go ahead and share whats on my mind. I'm over here eating this trail mix. It has chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, and peanut butter chips in it along with nuts and stuff. I reached in and pulled out a handful and put it in my mouth only to realize it was all chocolate/peanut butter chips.

OH HAPPY DAY!!!

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
...idc if you think 7-10 are inconsistent or whatever, if being there would help me not get bracket ****ed, you best believe i'm gunning for it.

i'm tired of it, personally. i know i have a long way to go, but i am tired of being in (what feels like) auto losers bracket, then winning a match, and then losing. but i feel like, until i freakin make the pr's or something, that'll be where i'm at.

concept: if DJ's idea of that "all NC" tournament actually works out, should we just use the results of that for a PR's at one point (like whenever its done)?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
We could probably just use the results of the tournament as we go along, since we do set counts anyway.

Chris, that's how your bracket will go until you are capable of beating more people. It's typically not impossible to beat the next person in line for losers in your position you described unless there was a winners bracket upset.

Basically, it's not any TOs/PRs fault.

null55

Smash Master
lol being PR'd is not the cause of you winning matches... it's a probable effect of you winning.

i suppose you need to be able to beat non-PR'd people before you complain about being bracket ****ed... assuming PRs mean anything. ask Theo. he doesn't care but he thinks they're wrong.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
being seeded high sucks anyway, you don't really get to play as many good people, because they all knock each other out and you're left with one or two at the end

Here's my 2 cents-

I've never lost to anyone who is 7th or lower (unless you count theo, which is stupid because he should be 6th or 7th.. and that always goes to 3 games/last stock[cept 1 game lol])

People from NC I've lost to in tourney or MM (since the last like year)-
$Mike (in semi close 2 game set)
Theo (in 2 sets both 3rd game)
Twitch (at munkaid in last stock high%)
Darksyde (in a 1$ MM in which i squandered[I've also beaten him in MM too, 2 stock 2-0])

All the people on the rankings I've lost to are in close sets.

I'm not saying I should be on the list right now (actually I am), but the reason I'm bringing everything up is to bring everyones attention to the flaw that is NC power rankings. They will never be accurate, unless we do something EXTRA.

IMO Once every 2 months or so, before updating the PR, there should be a NC round robin. It will show who should be placed where a lot more clearly.

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
i forgot about the practicality of using prs for seeding...

but then for full-fledged use, wouldnt u have to somehow rank ALL of nc?

@ the comment about an ever-changing scene: my point was that it isnt changing as much as the pr's are reflecting

its like grade inflation at unc

edit: i really never meant to spark a big debate. with all of my posts here, ive really just been trying to clarify that first post i made, lol

double edit: i also find it funny that everyone is on a first name basis with me here, and in sova people call me IV, which was my old tag that i hardly ever use, but noone calls me crystalnite. it makes me to chuckle

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Here's my 2 cents-

I've never lost to anyone who is 7th or lower (unless you count theo, which is stupid because he should be 6th or 7th.. and that always goes to 3 games/last stock[cept 1 game lol])

People from NC I've lost to in tourney or MM (since the last like year)-
$Mike (in semi close 2 game set)
Theo (in 2 sets both 3rd game)
Twitch (at munkaid in last stock high%)
Darksyde (in a 1$ MM in which i squandered[I've also beaten him in MM too, 2 stock 2-0])

All the people on the rankings I've lost to are in close sets.

I'm not saying I should be on the list right now (actually I am), but the reason I'm bringing everything up is to bring everyones attention to the flaw that is NC power rankings. They will never be accurate, unless we do something EXTRA.

IMO Once every 2 months or so, before updating the PR, there should be a NC round robin. It will show who should be placed where a lot more clearly.
Close doesn't really count, and having 2-1s vs 2-0s don't REALLY do you a lot of good at times.....

I'm fine with a round robin. You're gonna have to tell me HOW on earth we'd get every potential candidate to one place though lol. I'm not sure if that has ever happened.

Also, PRs being flawed kind of gives incentive for people to do better every period. We only do what we can with the data we have been given. If lots of data are close, then we(as a panel) try our hardest to make the best objective call on who makes the list. Everyone will never be happy, but chances are different ones will be next time the list gets updated.

Also, once every two months is an odd update time. Every 3 tournaments seems fine to me, unless you just like 2 months for some reason?

@Theo: That's just your opinion.

null55

Smash Master
yeah i don't like all this **** of trying to make the PRs more accurate. enough time is invested in ranking people as it is. no matter what, there will be some level of error. yo, i'm a noob, but i advise you not to play this game to increase your satisfaction with some arguable ranking method. i hope you don't play to be PR'd. improve for yourself, not just to gain acknowledgment (sometimes it's not even deserved). i don't think you get too far like that.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
wow guys, way to misinterpret me. *scrolls up* ok thats kind of what i typed i guess.

what i really meant was that i'm working towards being pr'd, and i'm working towards getting better. i'm not saying i should have an easier bracket right now, i'm not blaming anyone for it. i was just frustrated when i wrote that cause the more i feel like i'm getting better, the more i look at my tournament results and see...no change. thats nobody's fault but my own, but it doesn't change that fact that i'm getting better every day (it seems) and my tournament results are stationary.

i mm'd ocean tj (x2) dj (fox) and cams luigi. oh and that couples thing. i probably should/could've done more mm's, but i was frustrated already with my money situation that i didn't need any more.

i'm not trying to bust up in the scene and after 5 months claim close to being the best out there. sometimes i just like to believe i'm a little better than next to last place. if thats wrong, then call me out some more.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
yo chris, it takes so much time to get good unless you're a freak like pp
i mean me and jim have been playing for 3 years and we're like barely above your level lol
just play the game :3

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
@Chris: sorry man, I didn't mean to make it sound like I came down on you for that. You gotta realize though that everyone else is improving too, which makes PRs even updated within the span of 3 tournaments to be inaccurate because players have bursts of improvement over the course of them at times, and some just improve faster than others. It's all relative, but it's all beneficial, and makes it all the more satisfying when someone does make the list.

Edit: I am not a freak.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
@Chris: sorry man, I didn't mean to make it sound like I came down on you for that.
YOUR LANGUAGE ASSUMED IT!!!! :mad:

it's done.

8 am class tomorrow. i'm done peeps. but today, i learned waveshining (and why so many people side b to their death. Good God, how does anybody do that **** consistently?), and scar jumping (...**** is so fun).

yay for not having your memory card, so you cant play your main.

@pee pee- I just said 2 months because then it would be easier to get people who would like to be in the round robin to enter. Every 3rd tournament would work too, but the TO would need to know and adjust to make sure timing is right.

@ cam- the only reason I care about PRings is because it affects the seeding for tourneys. The higher I'm ranked, thats less chance for me to play PP in 1st round... which would mean I'm fighting my way through losers bracket...
PR seeding is rich get richer and poor get poorer in most cases.

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
i think everyone should pick up fox as their first main

it demands higher than normal tech skill and helps you learn tougher physics first, like with short hopping and wding etc

then learning most other basic techs becomes easier

i learned waveshining within like 3 months of learning adv tecks

i think it really helps

it also helps to recognize fox's limitations while blazingly fast opponents seem unconquerable at first

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
unless you're just better than whoevers on pr's that you end up facing. if i was actually good enough to be on pr's and i just wasn't on them...i don't think i'd mind that much...until i ended up with pp. then thats getting bracket ****ed. and i'd john like a mother ****er.

just like cam said.

null55

Smash Master
i mean, i take it back. you can play to be PR'd... it's relative proof of your accomplishment, boosts confidence, and really opens doors for you with the right attitude. but when it comes down to being silly and trying to make discrepancies work as much in your favor as possible, i feel like you're amorally wasting your time. amoral in the sense that if you're trying to get legitimately good, it's a bad thing to waste your energy with.

i understand the bracket thing Boss Hog, but i think if the last 7-10 are inconsistent, if you've been on that level since the previous update, you should be seeded similarly to those players.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
@pee pee- I just said 2 months because then it would be easier to get people who would like to be in the round robin to enter. Every 3rd tournament would work too, but the TO would need to know and adjust to make sure timing is right.

@ cam- the only reason I care about PRings is because it affects the seeding for tourneys. The higher I'm ranked, thats less chance for me to play PP in 1st round... which would mean I'm fighting my way through losers bracket...
PR seeding is rich get richer and poor get poorer in most cases.
I still don't see how we'd get everyone that would potentially be PR'd to go. So let's say you make attendance optional. What if someone has a good record and doesn't want to play anyone else so they can get ranked? They can find an excuse and get a higher ranking. I don't see why going and MM'ing someone doesn't do the same thing.

@PR seeding $$$ stuff- Is it the fault of TOs that seeds 1 and 2 shouldn't play each other until finals? Should they try to knock each other out early? Until people get better then their seeding will stay the same and they(if lower end) will lose early and then have a shot to see how their losers bracket goes.

In a way, that is a pretty good thing. You get to experience serious matches vs a great player, and then you get to beat a person or two(usually), and then you have a hard match(or matches if you are mid-seedish and keep going). Seems like an overall fulfilling tournament experience and there is no reason to complain about that. Rather, people should USE their experience and figure out WHY they lost to get better instead of get frustrated over them oney they lose because they are improving in a developing state. That can't be helped.

DJRome

Smash Hero
i think 5 tournaments is a much better way to sample. it's like bo3 or bo5. it just lets the better people rise above the spurts. idk why prs update so often tbh. also, i don't like how prs consider the list of the previous pr but not the set counts from the previous prs. it seems strange

null55

Smash Master
i think 5 tournaments is a much better way to sample. it's like bo3 or bo5. it just lets the better people rise above the spurts. idk why prs update so often tbh. also, i don't like how prs consider the list of the previous pr but not the set counts from the previous prs. it seems strange
i kinda like the changes, but i've had this problem with understanding NC PRs as well. it really should take more tournaments.

that also means less *** pain for you PP.

MM people is a good way to show if you're better head to head vs people, but sometimes people don't want to MM.... and if there is nothing on the line then it's considered a friendly... which isn't taken into account at all for PR.

If you want a more accurate ranking (which is what you as a panelist should want) then a big NC round robin would be best. It will also be used to determine seeding for the next set of tournaments.

If a good player who has placed high is past tournaments, of course that will be used 1st in next tournament seeding. He or she doesn't NEED to play in said round robin example, but it shouldn't hurt. Who wouldn't want to play more meaningful matches anyways?

This is also a good idea.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
the only problem with nc round robin is you can't get everyone there. u just can't.

its like how other games use a ranbat system (google it), but they must be a lot more dedicated then we are because we couldn't organize everyone to show up for all the ranbats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom