• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Next Smash Bros: Doomed to meet the same fate as Brawl?

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
PLEASE NOTE: I love Brawl, I am not trying to insult Brawl in any way; I merely saw this, the thought occured to me and I thought I would bring it up.

I think we can all agree that the physics of Brawl got changed when it was unnecessary to do so, that's the "fate" I'm referring to. The game got changed around in places where it was fine already.

Now I read the IGN interview with Sakurai a while ago, but while playing Brawl today, I suddenly remembered one specific aspect of the interview that scared me. I'll post it for you here:

IGN: Have you done everything you can do with the Smash Bros. franchise now? In other words, can Wii owners look forward to a Brawl sequel in the future?

Masahiro Sakurai: Well, the series has already had three iterations so I cannot say with one-hundred percent confidence that there won't be any additional Smash Bros. games ever. But, at the same time I'd really like to note that I feel like with Brawl there are already so many modes and so much to do that it's really hard to exhaust what you can do with this game. I'm really against the idea of merely creating a sequel that would add modes or increase the number of characters in the roster -- all the sort of things that just simply fatten up the game. I'd like to avoid just doing that if a sequel ever came out.
Take note of the final piece of what he said. He said that, basically, he's against just adding onto games, and wants to change it so the game is different. I'm assuming this is the same attitude he took towards Brawl, which would explain his desperate need for Brawl to be different from Melee, taking out things like Wavedashing just for that reason (possibly for others, but he's actually said that reason himself).

When I realized this, I thought; if Sakurai works on the next game, does this mean that everything's going to change...AGAIN?

What do you guys think?

Personally, I think this means that, after 7 years of playing Brawl and (possibly) finally getting used to it, Sakurai's going to completely change everything again, which would be unfortunate, unless he decides to take it back to the way Melee is.

DarkDedede

Smash Journeyman
He could always improve the modes that are neglected. I think the number of modes are fine. It's just that there isn't enough content when it comes to the modes. SSE leaves much to be desired, stage builder makes WWE's CAW look good, and online is poorly designed. Sakurai made a good template for the next game. He, or whoever ends up in charge, can just build from there.

Edit: Plus I seriously doubt many people will be playing this game for 7 years. I got bored with it after two weeks. :ohwell:

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
He could always improve the modes that are neglected. I think the number of modes are fine. It's just that there isn't enough content when it comes to the modes. SSE leaves much to be desired, stage builder makes WWE's CAW look good, and online is poorly designed. Sakurai made a good template for the next game. He, or whoever ends up in charge, can just build from there.

Edit: Plus I seriously doubt many people will be playing this game for 7 years. I got bored with it after two weeks. :ohwell:
Really? wow is it that bad for you? I've been playing it since I got it at midnight on march 9th, It has yet to leave my Wii, while Melee just sits there on my shelf.

DarkDedede

Smash Journeyman
Really? wow is it that bad for you? I've been playing it since I got it at midnight on march 9th, It has yet to leave my Wii, while Melee just sits there on my shelf.
Well you'd have to admit the game's main strength is in it's multiplayer mode, and I don't get that many people over to play the game with. I find playing against the computer kind of boring, and I've played 1 player about as much as I can take. It's just my opinion. If you absolutely love the game with ever fiber of your being, then it that's your right.

joeysmash

Smash Ace
NNID
papakarcher
there is going to have to be some non-item related thing to combact. Other then just slap me a crap load more modes, stages, charcters, better internet, single player, and such and i am all good. (make it a TEENY bit faster though plz)

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974

But that's just "fattening up" the game, isn't it? I agree, if they just did that, added more characters and stages, and a mode or two (Stage Builder + Online cleaned up the most) then that could be a fine sequel, but from Sakurai's comments, it seems unlikely.
I mean honestly, in an attempt to cram everything humanly possible into Brawl, almost everything they added is like a skeleton, there's not any meat to it.

Wow, two weeks is all it took? I don't really have people to play with either, but I've been playing it since release just about every day and I'm still not bored. Granted, it's not all I'm doing, but I still don't see me getting really bored of it soon. I mean, the physics of Melee were different and all, but still, it's the same basic idea. There are more modes to Brawl, despite how bare-bones they are. I played Melee until the release date of Brawl, and I'm still playing it. Not consistently for 7 years, but I would never go for too long without playing it. I can't see myself quitting anytime soon, but I imagine I'll follow the same pattern as Melee with Brawl.

If he changed it back to the way Melee was...that wouldn't really be different, would it? >_>
It would be different from Brawl.

It was mostly a pipe dream, anyways, I just said it as an "If this happens, then I wouldn't mind it."

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
the next anti-brawl treat: doomed to meat the same fate as this treat?
First of all, I'm going to assume that "treat" is a misspelling of something, most likely "thread". Not to mention you didn't capitalize "the", plus you used the wrong "meet". "Meat" is steak, chicken, etc, "meet" is a verb.

Second of all, assuming the previous statement is true, this isn't anti-Brawl. I love Brawl, I'm not anywhere near bored of it, I am playing it right now (well obviously not as I'm typing, but you get the point) in fact. I love Melee as well; I love both games equally. The point of this thread is to speculate whether Sakurai is going to mess with the physics of the game again with the sequel (if there is one) to Brawl. If you blindly love Brawl and say that there is nothing wrong with it, you're ignorant. Everything is going to have flaws, you have to accept that.

There's no excuse for you to come around trolling when you can't even spell.

S2

Smash Lord
That interview can be interpreted in a number of ways.

Plus, Sakurai's design philosophy changed a lot between Melee and Brawl. Who he was aiming the game at, choices for the physics system, etc. You can tell that Brawl was made be a hardcore gamers game but with a more casual appeal, which has been a major trend (casual gaming and non-games) in Japan for the last few years. That's a trend that most analysists think is going to peak this year or next year and then end.

I'd keep an open mind. We don't even know what he'll be doing when the next Smash comes out (it will, as Nintendo doesn't let cash cows just go... so expect one on the next system). We don't know if Sakurai will direct it or if he'll be busy with his own company (Sora).

And all Smash sequels are going to feel different to a hardcore smasher. Casuals don't really see much difference between Melee and Brawl, but to a Smash fan its like day and night.

There are a lot of little factors that'll influence what the next Smash will probably be like. But were going to have to wait and see what the industry is like in 5-6 years to know.

Darth Alec

Smash Rookie
That's not what he meant.

He doesn't want to change Brawl, that's why he is against a new game.

Brawl is pretty much everything he envisioned. He doesn't want to make a new game just to add more, and he has nothing significant to change.

DarkDedede

Smash Journeyman
But that's just "fattening up" the game, isn't it? I agree, if they just did that, added more characters and stages, and a mode or two (Stage Builder + Online cleaned up the most) then that could be a fine sequel, but from Sakurai's comments, it seems unlikely.
I mean honestly, in an attempt to cram everything humanly possible into Brawl, almost everything they added is like a skeleton, there's not any meat to it.

Wow, two weeks is all it took? I don't really have people to play with either, but I've been playing it since release just about every day and I'm still not bored. Granted, it's not all I'm doing, but I still don't see me getting really bored of it soon. I mean, the physics of Melee were different and all, but still, it's the same basic idea. There are more modes to Brawl, despite how bare-bones they are. I played Melee until the release date of Brawl, and I'm still playing it. Not consistently for 7 years, but I would never go for too long without playing it. I can't see myself quitting anytime soon, but I imagine I'll follow the same pattern as Melee with Brawl.
He didn't think that putting 250+ songs in the game was "fattening it up?" I don't think that we'd think less of him if he added more variety to other aspects of the game.

I guess I just have this bad habit of looking at a game from a design point of view. Sometimes it just ruins a game for me.

I think the worst part was stage builder having 250+ song and only 3 backgrounds, and the certain object only being usable for certain backgrounds. They could have easily made it so, even with three backgrounds you could use any of the themed objects for any stage. I don't know how plausible it would be, but I think they should have just used objects they used for the boards for SSE for the object for stage builder. I personally like Create-Your-Own modes in games, and the one in Brawl is almost an insult to the players intelegence. I'd love to know the reason for why Sakurai made it so limited. I'm sure it I'd find the reason very entertaining.

Another thing is they could have made alot of the battle stages in SSE as playable stages in multiplayer. I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
That's not what he meant.

He doesn't want to change Brawl, that's why he is against a new game.

Brawl is pretty much everything he envisioned. He doesn't want to make a new game just to add more, and he has nothing significant to change.
I was referring to the last part, or in other words, this part:

I'm really against the idea of merely creating a sequel that would add modes or increase the number of characters in the roster -- all the sort of things that just simply fatten up the game. I'd like to avoid just doing that if a sequel ever came out.
He doesn't just want to add onto the game, he wants to do something more, such as changing the physics, etc. At least, that's what I got from it.

He's not saying he's against a new game, in any case, he's saying if another game comes out, this is what he wants to do. He says "I'm really against the idea of merely creating a sequel that..." The "that" lets us know that he's against creating a specific kind of sequel, not a sequel altogether.

He didn't think that putting 250+ songs in the game was "fattening it up?" I don't think that we'd think less of him if he added more variety to other aspects of the game.

I guess I just have this bad habit of looking at a game from a design point of view. Sometimes it just ruins a game for me.

I think the worst part was stage builder having 250+ song and only 3 backgrounds, and the certain object only being usable for certain backgrounds. They could have easily made it so, even with three backgrounds you could use any of the themed objects for any stage. I don't know how plausible it would be, but I think they should have just used objects they used for the boards for SSE for the object for stage builder. I personally like Create-Your-Own modes in games, and the one in Brawl is almost an insult to the players intelegence. I'd love to know the reason for why Sakurai made it so limited. I'm sure it I'd find the reason very entertaining.

Another thing is they could have made alot of the battle stages in SSE as playable stages in multiplayer. I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard.
I thought you were saying that he could fix up the modes and that's it, not he could do that as well. In that case, I totally agree.

I also agree about Stage Builder. The reason it was so lackluster is probably because they didn't have enough time. Although that would be very ironic, considering the fact that we had two delays specifically for that. Most of Brawl actually screams "We didn't have enough time, so the mode isn't as good as it could be." At least, that's what it screams to me.

I agree about stages from SSE as well. If there are stages from other pieces of the game, why not make them playable?

Mr Mattastic

Smash Journeyman
I still feel its too early to start thinking about a new SSB but obviously there are already a few things to add that could make the next game better however I love this game and happy the way it is. I can almost guarentee that there will be a 4th though and maybe even a DS port eventually

Spire

III
BRoomer
In all honesty, Brawl is just a recreation of Melee, as the latter was a recreation of SSB. Each is different, but because the games do not follow a trend of any sort (or a three-part story/saga for that matter), it is basically the same game reiterated to match the generation that it is made in. That being said, I feel that as innovative as the games may seem, they are starting to get repetitive. The addition of new characters is all fine and dandy, but it does not diversify the game much at all -- especially when the game's structure and play style has remained relatively consistent since the very first title in the series. To really add a twist, I think the series needs to head in a different direction altogether.

The title "Super Smash Bros." is such a well-known game title, that by adding it and its basic premise (bringing together tons of Nintendo characters [and as of Brawl - 3rd party characters too] to team up and fight in previously unimaginable ways) to any type of game would be accepted as a Super Smash Bros. game. Imagine a Super Smash Bros. RPG, with a ton of characters (many being secret, optional characters), a party system, upgradeable weapons, armor, skills, etc, etc -- all in a new world of its own for the player to experience at a completely different pace in a completely different fashion than the past three Super Smash Bros. titles. Perhaps even a hybrid RPG with platforming and 3rd-person fighting/adventuring (amongst any other modes of gameplay) depending on the circumstances of what part of the game you are at. Nintendo fans criticized the N64 and Gamecube for a lack of RPG's -- so why not transcribe one of Nintendo's leading franchises into an RPG with both old and many new elements from the Super Smash Bros. world?

Anyways, that was merely an idea. I think that the reason Brawl has sold so well is due to the fact that because it's been seven years since the last entry in the series, such a large audience has been given time to build -- consisting of many veterans, and many newcomers. However, the majority of the audience are not the 75k+ members on these boards, but those that are not into the competitive scene. The games will be made for the majority of the consumer type, in congruence with popular demand. As many have stated before, it's all about money, and as long as money is raining on Nintendo, Smash Bros will stay in business - despite who may be leading it.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Yes. Smash 4 is doomed to the same fate as Brawl: to be utterly awesome in every way.
Erm...I love Brawl through and through, but to say that it's awesome in every single way is a stretch.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Okay, Nintendo's servers suck. Aside from that: Every. Single. Way.
-Tripping
-Many of the 1P modes are bare-bones (Target Test, for example)
-Stage Builder is lackluster
-Online has lack of options
-Many characters were nerfed
-Full of glitches (e.g. Jigglypuff Final Smash)

I could probably list more, but there's no need to. Honest to God, I love Brawl. But to follow it blindly like you are, saying it's nearly flawless...it's naive.

Mikau et al

Smash Journeyman
I'm not going to go into the many reasons why Brawl is a letdown. Nearly every aspect of the game had much more potential than what it actually became. I'll live with it and still enjoy multiplayer mode as much as I can (I have to lower some standards a little below reasonable expectation, but that's better than not having Brawl at all), but it's just a disappointment. We all knew that not all of the crazy ideas we brought up on these boards would actually be in the game, but so few of our expectations actually made it that I'm sure most people realize that SWF collectively could probably have brainstormed some more creative changes to SSB than what we've got now. I think the major reason that it didn't meet our expectations/predictions/whatever was simply because it wasn't focused on our current expectations. It was created based on our expectations two+ years ago.

Anyway, I don't think we should put too much weight in what Sakurai says. It has been strongly implied (by himself, no less) that he won't be on another SSB even if there is one. Not that he hasn't lied to us or changed his mind before, but I don't think we can take this as absolute fact that in the event another SSB is created that Sakurai will definitely be on it and we will definitely create a few dozen more modes and collectibles that we just didn't ask for while neglecting the important things. I suggest we all just hope that if Sakurai keeps to his word this time, we will have someone completely different heading the project, someone who will stay attuned to the public's desires throughout the development process, not just at the beginning. We'd all be perfectly fine if the next game got delayed a year longer like it did before if we knew that they were updating the game to fit the current mindset instead of adding stupid stickers and crappy stuff like that.

Fletch

Smash Master
As much as I wanted a new game, with the way Brawl actually turned out, I would have preferred he just "fattened up" Melee and released that, at least then it would have held my interest for more than a week.

Mikau et al

Smash Journeyman
Okay, Nintendo's servers suck. Aside from that: Every. Single. Way.
So, is this two-facedness or repentance? I seem to recall you getting a lot of people's hopes up about what the roster would be. Not that it was unreasonable, but how can you be so happy with a game that completely fell beneath your own self-created standards? The roster could have been waayyy better. Even your roster would have been fine, though there were some petty things thrown in like Midna and Geno to quell the stupid masses. Good characters, but hardly representative of their series.

The fact that you think stickers, stage builder, and SSE are awesome the way they are or even like them at all completely ruins any respect I might have had for you as a creative individual. I won't trust your predictions come SSB4.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
here's the problem. we all love brawl, and however, the next game is, we'd still buy it. but what about other, more casual gamers? they may view the smash bros. series as I view Mario Party. you see one, you see them all. the public needs new, interesting, fun twists. not more options. they're sick of the options.

Ørion

Smash Ace
Most tournament players wouldn't appreciate this reason, but i like the differences because it gives people like me who never got into series melee-playing a chance to catch up with the pro-players and a chance to get somewhere at tournys.

Illussionary

Smash Journeyman
It all boils down to 2 things:

1. The game maker doesn't really care how much you play the game once you've bought it, because a sale is a sale.

2. People will keep buying SSB Games as long as they add new characters.

Nuff said

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
This thread is pointless, even though I have wondered what you mentioned. Smash Bros 4 will have some big new feature. I expect a giant emphasis on Stickers (custom character moves e.c.t.) maybe a GOOD single player, GOOD online, e.c.t.

Gameplay wise, I'd see the shields change completely into custom shields that is specific to each character, each having their own blocking prowess. Ofcouse, I'd see a bigger emphasis on combos (which are beyond dead in Brawl).

Hyrus

Smash Journeyman
As a designer, you don't want to just ship out another game with just extra content. You want to push yourself to be creative, create a different feel (at minimum) and add in new features to make the experience different. I mean, look at ANY good series of games - they all do this. It wouldn't be any work or showmanship to just add content and ship it as a new game.

If you want to rant about something, try ranting about how he said that he intentionally put in random events to make everyone lose more, so less skilled players don't feel worse at the score screen. That's screwing over the gameplay to cater to a sore loser.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
It all boils down to 2 things:

1. The game maker doesn't really care how much you play the game once you've bought it, because a sale is a sale.

2. People will keep buying SSB Games as long as they add new characters.

Nuff said
That's true.

Obviously Sakurai doesn't care about catering to fans, or at least if he does, only to a certain extent. The roster reflects that most of all, but there are other pieces that show that as well. I suppose Sonic was fanservice (although I still can't believe he was a last-minute addition, did Sakurai really JUST realize that everyone wanted him in?) but I'm sure the three Kirby characters didn't end up there by chance, considering Sakurai worked on the Kirby games.

As a designer, you don't want to just ship out another game with just extra content. You want to push yourself to be creative, create a different feel (at minimum) and add in new features to make the experience different. I mean, look at ANY good series of games - they all do this. It wouldn't be any work or showmanship to just add content and ship it as a new game.

If you want to rant about something, try ranting about how he said that he intentionally put in random events to make everyone lose more, so less skilled players don't feel worse at the score screen. That's screwing over the gameplay to cater to a sore loser.
I realize that, but I wasn't saying he shouldn't change the gameplay at all, I was just trying to open a discussion of "Will the physics get changed again?" That's what I was talking about, I wasn't saying that if anything changes then I'll flip out. Obviously, if you just have upgraded/new stuff, it's not going to be very exciting. My only concern was the fact that, since Melee's physics were changed so much when moving to Brawl, will the same thing happen to Brawl, only worse, since Brawl's physics are already weird? Clearly, no one thought this to be as interesting a discussion as I thought it could be, but those were my thoughts.

I have seen a thread just like that. As such, I wouldn't create a new thread to rant about it. I do think that's idiotic though. Why the heck does he feel the need to cater to noobs? As I've said just a million times now, the whole new attitude Nintendo has with attracting new players is hurting the hardcore gamers. Thanks to said attitude, 90% of the games on the Wii are about having fun with Motion-Sensor capabilities.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Sorry for the double post.

Jimbo_G

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0920-1016-4491
Yeah, from the sound of Sakurai's interview, the man isn't looking for consistency. He wants every game he makes, even if its the sequel to a previous game, to be different and new in many more ways than just superficial or minor. That means he WILL change moves, he WILL cut characters, he WILL add new characters, and he WILL change the physics and other aspects of control to such a degree that it takes getting used to in comparison to the previous installment. That's his whole goal. He blatantly states that he does not want to make beefy versions of existing games. He wants to take the fundamentals of that game and change it into something different, while still following the original intent of the series. That way it is NOT the same game, but something new that will require people to explore and experiment to fully understand, while at the same time removing aspects that may have gotten too familiar in the previous games.

To someone who thoroughly enjoyed a game like Melee and had to transfer to Brawl, it can be frustrating since it really isn't the same game when you really look into it. But in my opinion, I kind of like having the game change drastically from one installment to the next. It really gives you something to look forward to, and ensures that you're not gonna know the entire game before you even play it. For someone who isn't completely obsessed with consistent competitive play (i.e. the majority of gamers), what fun would it be if every addition to a game series was the same **** thing with a tweak or two changed, or only new modes or graphics?

Super Drybones

Smash Ace
-Tripping

I could probably list more, but there's no need to. Honest to God, I love Brawl. But to follow it blindly like you are, saying it's nearly flawless...it's naive.
Every game has glitches and Brawl has very few game breaking one's as opposed to some other games on the market.

PensFan101

Smash Rookie
Oh noez! What a senseless tragedy it would be to have ANOTHER Smash Brothers Game!!!111 I think these forums might explode with gloom and doom posts and trolls!!!!111!!!

Geez people, Melee wasn't perfect by any means either. Like c'mon, Wavedashing, that's not exactly realistic, is it? Brawl's physics are much more realistic, and with graphics aside, it is a much more realistic idea of how all these characters would fight if they met in a non-Brawl video game, no?

Sakurai should be applauded for making so many changes with Brawl, especially with regards to the physics. So many sequels are just re-hashes of their predecessor and its more there to get your 60 bucks than be anything different. Brawl is a breath of fresh air, and of course some people won't like it, but I've always thought that the only thing keeping this game from reaching a cult-like status is the expectations put on it by others. This game (save the online, and the SSE IMO) is polished and nearly perfect in every way.

If and when there is a new smash game somewhere down the line, people should applaud Sakurai if he again makes it different, although I think his team nailed the physics in this game.

Sure, Brawl is slower now, and probably will be in 7 years (for the sake of comparison), but it is a different style than Melee. For me personally, I find Brawl to be a very defensive game. Sure, it takes a ton of effort to get a combo off, and Melee like Combos are almost non-existent in Brawl, but a player that can make the most of the defensive options in this game and play a smart counter style can really go far. For once, safer, more conservative players have a chance.

But that's besides the point. What's really wrong with another Smash game? It would be just as awesome, and assuming the development team learned from the online, it would be better.

Oh noez! What a senseless tragedy it would be to have ANOTHER Smash Brothers Game!!!111 I think these forums might explode with gloom and doom posts and trolls!!!!111!!!
If only to completely isolate a group of players intentionally, then yes, another smash would be tragic. Brawl at a competitive level is practically unwanted because of it's limited technical aspects and it's narrow skill gap. The game is extremely lenient towards people who are either uncoordinated or non gamers.

Geez people, Melee wasn't perfect by any means either. Like c'mon, Wavedashing, that's not exactly realistic, is it? Brawl's physics are much more realistic, and with graphics aside, it is a much more realistic idea of how all these characters would fight if they met in a non-Brawl video game, no?

"So you can double jump IRL rite?"

Is being hit by a sword and not succumbing to massive blood loss realistic? Is being able to fall from heights uncharted and manage to not break your limbs when you hit the ground realistic? Is not getting incinerated by lava realistic. Honestly, name me one realistic aspect about this game beyond being able to walk and run normally?

And if you knew better, the wavedash didn't make melee an excellent game. It was the fact that there was a skill gap and near limitless skill advancing. The skill between two players was shown prominently through technical ability, mindgames, spacing, and general knowledge in match ups. Things such as L-cancel and Wavedash made things such much better because it gave all characters a variety of approaches and spacing options. Melee was a game that rewarded the better player.

Put Brawl in comparison. How many approach options do you have? Very few, which are all character dependant. Can you use attacks in a consecutive manner? No. All attacks go in a small series of variable hits rather than a combo; a series of inescapable hits. Do you have complete control over your character? No. The fact that there is a random variable present at all times makes approaching the opponent an extreme risk.

Enough of the no's, what does Brawl have? Hit, Run and Camp. The excitement.

Sakurai should be applauded for making so many changes with Brawl, especially with regards to the physics. So many sequels are just re-hashes of their predecessor and its more there to get your 60 bucks than be anything different. Brawl is a breath of fresh air, and of course some people won't like it, but I've always thought that the only thing keeping this game from reaching a cult-like status is the expectations put on it by others. This game (save the online, and the SSE IMO) is polished and nearly perfect in every way.

If and when there is a new smash game somewhere down the line, people should applaud Sakurai if he again makes it different, although I think his team nailed the physics in this game.
Why should we applaud for a man who single handedly and intentionally, destroyed a community because his philosophies got in the way of logic and universal progression? Shouldn't the better player be rewarded the win because he worked hard at it? It makes sense.

Ok, I can admit that the physics are well done, but the intentionally dumbed down mechanics are seriously heart rendering. L-cancel is gone (An element that was in the two previous games. Removed for the sake of "balance"), the absence of Inertia, Multiple air dodges (Opponent can't be punished at all), very little hit stun (No combos, no punishment, no fun) and tripping (Need I say more). There are more things, but I just can't name them off the top of my head right now.

The sad part about the whole situation is that the E For All demo had L-cancel, Wavelanding, Dash dancing, JC Grabs,Prominent hit stun, and tripping rarely ever occurred, if at all. (0.1% probability). It was like a polished less technical version of Melee. But, they went out of there way to delay the game and make it worse!! Should I be applauding for that?

Sure, Brawl is slower now, and probably will be in 7 years (for the sake of comparison), but it is a different style than Melee. For me personally, I find Brawl to be a very defensive game. Sure, it takes a ton of effort to get a combo off, and Melee like Combos are almost non-existent in Brawl, but a player that can make the most of the defensive options in this game and play a smart counter style can really go far. For once, safer, more conservative players have a chance.
Conservative players are the only players that stand a chance.

Characters with projectiles are god because this game limits approach, while at the same time caters to the defensive players. Shield pressure and punishment was a crucial risk for a defensive player; you had to attack sometime. This games is so limited that you can't stop the opponents projectiles because there is no fast or safe way to avoid them. Your only option is to camp back.

Sure, I love this game to death. But with all things considered, it's an extreme disappointment. I want to be rewarded for being experienced, not segregated for being experienced.

But that's besides the point. What's really wrong with another Smash game? It would be just as awesome, and assuming the development team learned from the online, it would be better.
Just release again Melee with newer aesthetics.

That's the only way you can make this game better. Nothing good can come from a sequel to "Brawl".

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Yeah, from the sound of Sakurai's interview, the man isn't looking for consistency. He wants every game he makes, even if its the sequel to a previous game, to be different and new in many more ways than just superficial or minor. That means he WILL change moves, he WILL cut characters, he WILL add new characters, and he WILL change the physics and other aspects of control to such a degree that it takes getting used to in comparison to the previous installment. That's his whole goal. He blatantly states that he does not want to make beefy versions of existing games. He wants to take the fundamentals of that game and change it into something different, while still following the original intent of the series. That way it is NOT the same game, but something new that will require people to explore and experiment to fully understand, while at the same time removing aspects that may have gotten too familiar in the previous games.

To someone who thoroughly enjoyed a game like Melee and had to transfer to Brawl, it can be frustrating since it really isn't the same game when you really look into it. But in my opinion, I kind of like having the game change drastically from one installment to the next. It really gives you something to look forward to, and ensures that you're not gonna know the entire game before you even play it. For someone who isn't completely obsessed with consistent competitive play (i.e. the majority of gamers), what fun would it be if every addition to a game series was the same **** thing with a tweak or two changed, or only new modes or graphics?
I can see your point there. Come to think of it, if the physics of Brawl were exactly the same, then the game would already be half figured out. The change in style may change the entire game, but on the other hand, it gives us a whole new game to discover. If everything remained the same, the replay value would be reduced to only a small portion, since many people would get bored of it quickly.

On the other hand, though, the specific change from Melee to Brawl, the way it was changed, I'm not a huge fan of it. A lot of it, Sakurai changed merely for the newbies, so they could pick it up easily. The mere principle of that annoys me to no end. Nintendo is my favorite company, and it would have to screw up pretty badly to be worse than Sony/Microsoft, but they're hardly catering to the hardcore gamers anymore; their goal is to attract new players. The people who have been with them for decades, they're saying that they don't care about us anymore because they have fancy motion-sensor and can get new people to play their games now.
/rant about user-friendly Nintendo

Link please.
It's from the interview with Nintendo Power, I'll quote it:

NP: This is one that a lot of hardcore Smash Bros. fans have long wondered about. Was the ability to "Wavedash" in Melee intentional or a glitch?

Sakurai: Of course, we noticed that you could do that during the development period. With Super Smash Bros Brawl, it wasn't a matter of, "OK, do we leave it in or take it out?" We really just wanted this game, again, to appeal to and be played by gamers of all different levels. We felt that there was a growing gap between beginners and advanced players, and taking that out helps to level the playing field. It wasn't a real big priority or anything, but when we were building the game around the idea of making it fair for everybody, it just made sense to take it out. And it also goes back to wanting to make something different from Melee and giving the players the opportunity to find new things to enjoy.
The important part is bolded, the rest is there just for context.

Every game has glitches and Brawl has very few game breaking one's as opposed to some other games on the market.
True, but there are a lot of glitches that seem like they should've been found in development. For some reason, I can only think of the Jigglypuff Final Smash on Bridge of Eldin/Pirate Ship glitch and "air tripping" (there's a thread on that here, look it up if you're interested) but I know there's more that I'm not picking up.
They aren't game-breaking, but they're there. Then again, I enjoy non-game-breaking glitches a lot, I always enjoy old games for that reason. But it just...looks bad, you know what I mean?

I never said I didn't want another Smash Bros game. In fact, I would be rather upset if we didn't get another. I agree that change to a certain extent is good. What I'm worried about is the physics getting screwed up. I'm not saying Melee was perfect, no game is, but the way it was, where skill was rewarded rather than punished by tripping, camping, and other such things.

True, wavedashing isn't realistic, but neither is walking and jumping like you're in space, when you're not. Brawl is very floaty. I didn't notice it so much until I played Melee again, but it's really much floatier. Brawl isn't unbearable, it's physics aren't either, but Melee had a good system, where you could easily get better. And maybe I'm just forgetting Melee here, but it also seems like there are many more spammable attacks in Brawl, which is not only annoying, but is helpful to noobs. OK, so the damage is reduced if you spam an attack, but I tested this in Melee, and the same thing happens there.

I can see your point there. Come to think of it, if the physics of Brawl were exactly the same, then the game would already be half figured out. The change in style may change the entire game, but on the other hand, it gives us a whole new game to discover. If everything remained the same, the replay value would be reduced to only a small portion, since many people would get bored of it quickly.

On the other hand, though, the specific change from Melee to Brawl, the way it was changed, I'm not a huge fan of it. A lot of it, Sakurai changed merely for the newbies, so they could pick it up easily. The mere principle of that annoys me to no end. Nintendo is my favorite company, and it would have to screw up pretty badly to be worse than Sony/Microsoft, but they're hardly catering to the hardcore gamers anymore; their goal is to attract new players. The people who have been with them for decades, they're saying that they don't care about us anymore because they have fancy motion-sensor and can get new people to play their games now.
/rant about user-friendly Nintendo

Link please.
It's from the interview with Nintendo Power, I'll quote it:

NP: This is one that a lot of hardcore Smash Bros. fans have long wondered about. Was the ability to "Wavedash" in Melee intentional or a glitch?

Sakurai: Of course, we noticed that you could do that during the development period. With Super Smash Bros Brawl, it wasn't a matter of, "OK, do we leave it in or take it out?" We really just wanted this game, again, to appeal to and be played by gamers of all different levels. We felt that there was a growing gap between beginners and advanced players, and taking that out helps to level the playing field. It wasn't a real big priority or anything, but when we were building the game around the idea of making it fair for everybody, it just made sense to take it out. And it also goes back to wanting to make something different from Melee and giving the players the opportunity to find new things to enjoy.
The important part is bolded, the rest is there just for context.

True, but there are a lot of glitches that seem like they should've been found in development. For some reason, I can only think of the Jigglypuff Final Smash on Bridge of Eldin/Pirate Ship glitch and "air tripping" (there's a thread on that here, look it up if you're interested) but I know there's more that I'm not picking up.
They aren't game-breaking, but they're there. Then again, I enjoy non-game-breaking glitches a lot, I always enjoy old games for that reason. But it just...looks bad, you know what I mean?

El HP

Smash Ace
Brawl is the result of Nintendo's new philosophy which is to cater to the casual gamer so the dumbed down gameplay was to be expected that's the sad truth so as long as nintendo keeps this philosophy the next smash game will lack depth just like brawl.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
-Tripping
Tripping is awesome and hilarious. Yes, I went there.

Subspace, Classic, Target Test, Training, Homerun Contest, Event Matches, and All Star Mode. Show me any figting game with as such a robust selection single player modes.

Lies. Lies and slander. Browse SWF's stage finder or IGN's SmashBrosWorld website and see all the crazy, awesome creations people have come up with, ready for the download. The fact that you can build and share stages is a miracle.

Online has exactly the right number of options for my tastes. Nintendo just needs to servers that will, you know, work.

Not mine. :p :mario2: :dk2:

Herisy! Gigalypuff = greatest thing evar!!!!!111!

Maybe I am a blind fanboy when it comes to Brawl. But the game is just so fantatic that I can live with that.

So, is this two-facedness or repentance? I seem to recall you getting a lot of people's hopes up about what the roster would be. Not that it was unreasonable, but how can you be so happy with a game that completely fell beneath your own self-created standards? The roster could have been waayyy better. Even your roster would have been fine, though there were some petty things thrown in like Midna and Geno to quell the stupid masses. Good characters, but hardly representative of their series.
I'm touched someone remembers that thread.

My Character Predictions were just meant for fun speculation to pass the time. It was all just guesses. But for a thirty five character roster (which is clearly all Sora had time to include) Brawl's roster does a great job of balancing the wants of all Smashers.

For me persoanlly, the only character I really, really wanted Olimar. And since he got in, I'm perfectly content. Midna and Geno can bite me.

The fact that you think stickers, stage builder, and SSE are awesome the way they are or even like them at all completely ruins any respect I might have had for you as a creative individual. I won't trust your predictions come SSB4.
Your words.... they pierce like daggers.... :(

No, actually I don't care.

Stage builder is most defintitely awesome the way it is. SSE is a fine and enjoyable way of unlocking the roster (its more fun in co-op) and the cutscenes are pure win. Stickers are pretty stupid and pointless, but who cares? They don't force people to use them.

My SSB4 predictions? I'm glad you asked:

-45 character roster (including: Ridley, Megaman and Dr. Kawasaki from Brain Age.)

-More options for Stage Builder (making it even more awesome, if that's possible.)

-Monthly downloadable stages, music and characters.

-Gameplay nearly identical to Brawl's (ie: perfect.)

I'm think that about covers it.

SiegKnight

Smash Journeyman
The sad part about the whole situation is that the E For All demo had L-cancel, Wavelanding, Dash dancing, JC Grabs,Prominent hit stun, and tripping rarely ever occurred, if at all. (0.1% probability). It was like a polished less technical version of Melee. But, they went out of there way to delay the game and make it worse!! Should I be applauding for that?

oh my god you're not serious are you? did it really have all that? Please don't fuucking tell me it had that crap and then took it out? That changes my stance entirely

Top Bottom