• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The new wavedash?

Ace83

Smash Journeyman
i have my up-joystick set so it does not jump, to make up-tilts easier (prevents accidental jumps when i want to do a fast up-tilt) and at least with snake i can do this technique rather easily.. havent tried others.. point is it can't be the jump that cancels the dash attack (at least in snake's case).

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
Why would you need tap jump on to use up+Z to u-smash unless it's actually the jump that cancels the dash attack and not the u-smash itself?
As far as I can tell, yes. You start with a dash attack which is canceled by the jump, which in turn is canceled by the up smash. Tap jump must be required because you can't cancel the dash with the u-smash.

Edit: and to people who can't do it, try with Snake. Make sure you only tap the analog stick, it doesn't work if your analog stick doesn't go back to the neutral position, it seems.

Monshou_no_Nazo

Smash Journeyman
You can do it without Tap Jump, but it requires different precision, apparently. I've been doing it without tap jump this whole time.

Damax

Smash Lord
Why would you need tap jump on to use up+Z to u-smash unless it's actually the jump that cancels the dash attack and not the u-smash itself?

with snake you can't do it with tap jump on... it works with tap jump off though...

with tap jump on I had to use the C stick. with tap jump off I could use both Stick

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
You can do it without Tap Jump, but it requires different precision, apparently. I've been doing it without tap jump this whole time.
That might be why I can't get it to work with it off then. In that case dash attack canceling, on some characters, can lead to large slides across stages.

The question is, are there any other applications for this?

with snake you can't do it with tap jump on... it works with tap jump off though...

with tap jump on I had to use the C stick. with tap jump off I could use both Stick
Can't do it with Tap Jump on? I was doing it with Snake and had it on. I couldn't get it to work with it off though... just a difference in timing I guess?

Pyronic_Star

Smash Champion
has anyone done this with pit? because it could be useful since his u-air has a lot of priority so getting your opponent in the air is very useful.
also, can someone spell out exactly how to do this, and can it be performed using the wii-mote/nun-chuck, and its correct that i don't need the jump-tap on right?

lricardojamesl

Smash Rookie
has anyone been able to do it with sheik? in the video demonstration it seemed sheik went about almost as far as snake did doing this technique. i'm trying to figure out the timing but i keep end up doing a grab or a dash attack. i'm doing this with the tap jump off as well.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
I was able to get a few good ones out of Sheik. Not quite as good as the video, but close. The timing is a bit different though I think, I couldn't do it consistently at all. And Pit was disappointing. I got about the same distance out of him as I got with Zero Suit Samus.

Pit Dash Attack Cancel

IST2TC

Smash Rookie
In all likely hood the characters that aren't shown in his video are ones that get no more benefit than doing a dashing up smash. But then again I still cant get sheiks down so maybe its just a timing thing for the other characters.

As for the tap jump I've been doing it without it for all the characters in the video other than my failed attempts at sheik, so it doesn't look like you need to have it on.

Catfish_Mike

Smash Cadet
Pretty sure I'm doing it right, I can get a good bit of distance with Sonic, about halfway across the practice stage. And up-jump doesn't need to be on to do it, at least not for me.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
In all likely hood the characters that aren't shown in his video are ones that get no more benefit than doing a dashing up smash. But then again I still cant get sheiks down so maybe its just a timing thing for the other characters.
I agree. I can get good distance with all of the characters in the video (when I can get it right, Shiek's is frustrating), but I have yet to try another character that it actually works well with. Since both of my mains are have very low skid, I'll just stick to dashing into the c-stick.

Vayseth

Smash Master
The video says you can do it with either just the timing is different.

The video also seems to indicate that those are the only characters it seems to work with.

The video says exactly as everyone has been saying here: dash down on c-stick up and throw (I set mine to L). It's stupid easy with snake, and stupid hard with Sheik. I main D3 and Olimar but theirs moves them a negligible amount and it's not even worth doing.

Kel

Smash Master
A little something:

I don't use R for anything so I tried mapping R to Grab and it made things kind of easier. After a while Z started hurting my finger. It might just be me, but mapping grab to a trigger can make this easier.

Zozefup

Smash Lord
dash
dash attack.
Up+Z

Can someone explain exactly how to do this? Is that right?

tect

Smash Journeyman
at least for chars where they only go as far as a dash, the animation begins during the slide so it comes out faster at your target, and you can charge it

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
I did a little more testing and have some interesting results.

It seems characters in the video are the only ones that can do this, anyone else simply does a dash to up-smash in the same way you would by pressing the c-stick up (aside from the fact you can charge it, but up+A would still be easier).

The evidence is basically that the distances slid by characters who are not in the video, at least the ones I have tried, is the same distance they slide when doing a normal dash to u-smash.

(In other words, the dash does nothing. It's canceled, but it doesn't add anything to the attack)

Another note is that some characters seem to damage opponents when they hit them with the mid-slide. Snake does, at least. This puts him in some good positions for combos, as he can run them over by sliding, release the mortar and hit with, and follow up.

SuPeRCuSsIoN

Smash Journeyman
uhhh can you do this with fox...? still unanswered. i tried it but idk if im doing it right. i want someone that knows how to do it, tell me if its possible.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
Its been known about for some time, evidently. This was posted earlier in the Link boards, and discussed a bit. Its limited to just the characters that are posted. And, the button configuration to do it is as follows:

tap jump on: dash->down on c-stick->Up on analog->Z
W/o tap jump Dash, but hold diagnal up to dash. Down on c-stick, Z. (might be up and Z, can't remember)

Its not 'the new wavedash' b/c I am 98% sure you can only use the U-smash. However, it is good to catch someone off guard every now and then.

Tomanator33

Smash Apprentice
Every character has different timing I noticed. Fox I believe can do it but does not seem to give him a lot of extra distance at best, but I could still not have it down right yet.

ti83pop

Smash Journeyman
Wavesmash anybody? xp

Anyway, wonderful find. Took me a while to get it, but now I get what to do. Trying new controller configurations right now, I'll report back if I find anything particularly beneficial.

EDIT: Ok, I have a solution.

Set a shoulder button to attack (I prefer L). Instead of hitting Z with up, you should hit L. I find it easier myself, because you have to keep up with a lot on the right hand otherwise.

Also, you can leave tap jump off. It has no effect thankfully.
(Sorry if any of this has been covered, didn't read too much of the thread)

Imp

Smash Apprentice
Haha, took me forever to learn, but I got it down. Had to turn tap jump off and set R to grab. Just wish this worked with Diddy as good as it does with snake.

This'll be fun to show off

Kel

Smash Master
Has anyone gotten Sheik's to work? I've never gotten it to work. In the video she goes crazy far and her Usmash is a great killing move, it'll surly be one of the best to learn.

drag0nfeather

Smash Journeyman
Wow, I find this thread extraordinarily dumb. It doesn't need a fancy name. It's simply called CHARGING YOUR UP-SMASH WHILE STILL CARRYING A BIT OF MOMENTUM FROM YOUR DASH. It's possible because you are jumping but turning the jump into an Up-smash. In Melee, this was often combined with grabbing. Jump-cancelled Grab. JC('d) grab. You'd do a standing grab instead of a laggy dashing grab.

This is only good for people with good up-smashes. For example, Pit does this against MK. MK is very short so only one strike that swings out in front then upwards would hit. None of the others would connect (I've tried). By a good up-smash, I'm talking good range, good knockback. If not good range, you'd miss. If not good knockback, they punish you.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
Its been known about for some time, evidently. This was posted earlier in the Link boards, and discussed a bit. Its limited to just the characters that are posted. And, the button configuration to do it is as follows:

tap jump on: dash->down on c-stick->Up on analog->Z
W/o tap jump Dash, but hold diagnal up to dash. Down on c-stick, Z. (might be up and Z, can't remember)

Its not 'the new wavedash' b/c I am 98% sure you can only use the U-smash. However, it is good to catch someone off guard every now and then.
You can use the first configuration with tap jump off.

Wow, I find this thread extraordinarily dumb. It doesn't need a fancy name. It's simply called CHARGING YOUR UP-SMASH WHILE STILL CARRYING A BIT OF MOMENTUM FROM YOUR DASH. It's possible because you are jumping but turning the jump into an Up-smash. In Melee, this was often combined with grabbing. Jump-cancelled Grab. JC('d) grab. You'd do a standing grab instead of a laggy dashing grab.

This is only good for people with good up-smashes. For example, Pit does this against MK. MK is very short so only one strike that swings out in front then upwards would hit. None of the others would connect (I've tried). By a good up-smash, I'm talking good range, good knockback. If not good range, you'd miss. If not good knockback, they punish you.
Please read and try before you post your erroneous comments. This is NOT jump canceling. This is more comparable to Melee's grab-canceling dash attacks, only the distance covered is much greater and it's an upsmash.

Depressed Man

Smash Apprentice
Another note is that some characters seem to damage opponents when they hit them with the mid-slide. Snake does, at least. This puts him in some good positions for combos, as he can run them over by sliding, release the mortar and hit with, and follow up.
I believe for Snake, the reason why it hits the opponent is that Snake's up smash is a two hit combo. The first hits when he throws the mortar launcher down, the second comes from when the mortar hits. So when Snake is sliding on the ground the first hit animation is extended?

Ace83

Smash Journeyman
I believe for Snake, the reason why it hits the opponent is that Snake's up smash is a two hit combo. The first hits when he throws the mortar launcher down, the second comes from when the mortar hits. So when Snake is sliding on the ground the first hit animation is extended?
this is true.

shadydentist

Smash Lord
Wow, I find this thread extraordinarily dumb. It doesn't need a fancy name. It's simply called CHARGING YOUR UP-SMASH WHILE STILL CARRYING A BIT OF MOMENTUM FROM YOUR DASH.
This is slightly different. Its cancelling a dash attack animation into an upsmash, which apparently gives you much more range.

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
probably the most interesting find thus far, though it remains to see if this will change the game, considering the only thing you can do is a upsmash. The wavedash was unique because it allowed you to move both forward and back, and use ANY move.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
It must, and on top of that it's really easy to run them over.

Anyway, I believe I posted this before but only the characters in the video can truly do this. For those who don't know, ^Z is the same as an ^A u-smash. So basically dashing and hitting up-A for a smash will do just as much good as this technique for any character not in the video.

Honestly, with some characters who can't do it you get more distance by just using C-up during a dash or up+A just because it's easier to do.

3GOD

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure you can do this with tap-jump on or off, though I haven't tried with tap-jump off - I've been able to do it with everyone in the video with tap jump on just fine.

I don't think it's the "Jump" action that interrupts the dash attack, but the Usmash itself. Otherwise we would be able to simply jump out of the dash attack right?

Also, this can be done with A instead of Z if you "claw" the controller like I do. For some reason, it seems easier for me to use A.

Anyone have any idea why this only works with C-down for the dash attack? If you use A for the dash attack, I haven't been able to get Z or C-up to perform the Usmash.

I suspect it has something to do with the C-stick effects on momentum in this game (a similar effect to what is seen in B-sticking). There may be a lot of other strange tricks that show up because of this C-stick property.

EDIT: we should probably not call this the "new wavedash" since it's not really related to the old WD in anyway. I propose the name "Sliding Usmash" or "Dash Attack Canceled Usmash" or "DACUsmash" for short since these are more descriptive titles.

will388

Smash Cadet
i cant do it with sheik.. and the video was taken down so i dont even know what it looks like
did it with snake pretty easily though, this is sweet (tap jump off.. i dash by diagonally holding up)

Ceruvik

Smash Cadet
Sounds and looks pretty sweet. Even the kaching in the beginning is epic...

Top Bottom