• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Tier List

D

Deleted member

Darth Rancorous doesn't approach so Sheer can't parry what never happens

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Most characters have atleast one approach which is very hard to parry. Like drills.

I can make Samus approach. I just go stand a couple feet infront of them and they're like wtf is this idiot doing and they try to dair or bair me.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Unless you are significantly smarter than your opponent and can force them into way where you can get hits or combos in, Samus just can't hold her own. Isai's Link is a good example of how much work you have to put into playing well with low tiers, and how much better than the opponent you have to be to beat them.

D

Deleted member

Not really

"crappy" links can do wonders by sheer amounts of camping and never approaching (Samus can sometimes do the same)

it's sometimes not a matter of skill but sometimes whoever uses the better, yet gayer strategy

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Samus approaching = instaloss.

Most of her match-ups consist of pivot fsmashes, retreating fairs, spamming charged shot, and dash dance -> dash attack. >.>

And looking intently for an opportunity to swoop in with dair of course. ^.^

Tambor

Smash Journeyman
Most characters have atleast one approach which is very hard to parry. Like drills.

I can make Samus approach. I just go stand a couple feet infront of them and they're like wtf is this idiot doing and they try to dair or bair me.
If it's you it wouldn't be "wtf is he doing" but "oh great, he will try parrying me again". I think parrying an uair should be kind of hard. Especially if you shieldjump, which is what you usually do.

kabal

Smash Apprentice
Samus definitely belongs on the bottom of the tier list, but that doesn't mean Samus can't hold her own or win matches against competent higher tier opponents. Samus isn't quite as bad as a lot of people here may think.

Though I'm still not sure exactly what skill level the tier list is describing.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Samus' Up-air? How are you supposed reliably hit a Yoshi on the ground with that, unless they are on higher ground/a platform?

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Samus is pretty good against characters who can't outcamp her. For this reason, I believe Fox, Mario and Link are her toughest match-ups (followed closely or even surpassed by Pikachu, of course). Pikachu's main weakness is that he dies early from bairs (similarly to Kirby). He pays more dearly for a whiffed utilt than Kirby.

Luigi (for his bad projectile and high shorthop), Jiggs (for her poor range, recovery, and lightness), and Ness (for his range, campability, and punishable recovery) are definitely possible for Samus, if you camp hard enough.

DK is just hard to kill (despite being a big target who has trouble dealing with camping). His grab combos hurt a lot though. Dying from a cargo -> punch combo that starts around 40 isn't fun.

Yoshi is heavy and hard to gimp. Not an impossible match-up though.

Falcon can go either way, and it depends immensely on the skill of the other player.

D

Deleted member

Samus vs Link isn't that bad

Some people think it's Samus's 2nd-3rd worst matchup if you have no idea on how to approach

if you know how to approach with Samus then it's simply Link > Samus rather than Link >> Samus

Samus can apporach u just need some decent mindgames and spacing

or you can lamely camp and wait for your opponent and up-b if you are in the slightest amount of danger

up-b is useful because it ruins the opponent's stick if they want to DI out and they might not DI on purpose for the sake of their stick

Darth Rancorous

Smash Ace
s2j, just cuz i wouldnt go to the middle part of hyrule when u were fox spamming shdl's doesnt mean i wasnt approaching. u used other characters in our matches and i changed my gameplan accordingly.

upb is a very useful technique; it breaks alot of the opponent's combos, and if the opponent isnt "good enough" to follow up, then samus will survive.

honestly, as a samus mainer, the characters i have the most trouble with are captain falcon, and fox. pikachu can be annoying, but definitely doesnt stress me out.

one good example was a recent tournament i was at. tigerbombz brought some of his homies with him. they were good, prolly around my level. i managed to beat one of them who was using pikachu. if he wouldve been fox or falcon, i dont think i wouldve been able to beat him.

and sheer, if ur yoshi is anywhere near as good as tigerbombz's, then u prolly wouldve beaten me.

D

Deleted member

s2j, just cuz i wouldnt go to the middle part of hyrule when u were fox spamming shdl's doesnt mean i wasnt approaching. u used other characters in our matches and i changed my gameplan accordingly.

upb is a very useful technique; it breaks alot of the opponent's combos, and if the opponent isnt "good enough" to follow up, then samus will survive.

honestly, as a samus mainer, the characters i have the most trouble with are captain falcon, and fox. pikachu can be annoying, but definitely doesnt stress me out.

one good example was a recent tournament i was at. tigerbombz brought some of his homies with him. they were good, prolly around my level. i managed to beat one of them who was using pikachu. if he wouldve been fox or falcon, i dont think i wouldve been able to beat him.

and sheer, if ur yoshi is anywhere near as good as tigerbombz's, then u prolly wouldve beaten me.
i'm not saying camping is a bad thing

although u did when i used link, yoshi, and fox

i don't care how anybody plays unless maybe it's not tournament

and my fox doesn't spam SHDL's, i can only do it like 30% of the time when i try really hard

Darth Rancorous

Smash Ace
All I'm sayin is that I don't feel like I was campin all that much, it really depended on the situation.

And u gotta give urself more credit, u can shdl more often than that

U and lovage comin up to sfsu on the 6th for that tourney? there's a lot of people that wanna play u guys.

Stormcrow2

Smash Apprentice
I would play Ness somewhere right around the middle of the tier, but that's just me...

I understand that Ness's recovery is extremely predictable and slow, but this is the really only bad thing about ness IMO. Someone on here said ness is very predictable, I would disagree with that. Ness is a harder character to learn, noob ness's are predictable. And someone was also saying that his projectiles are basically useless, I wouldn't agree with that either, but that's just me. Ness should be played with lots of A button attacks, and projectiles when you are almost positive you'll hit - otherwise of course you leave yourself open. It's all about being unpredictable. I do tons of short hop pk fires off the ledge to get people when they are jumping up.. and yes I don't only get noobs with that move. And I often get double pk-thunders within combos, so they're not completely useless... not to mention that you can fake PK'ing yourself into them and move it around more.
Just my opinion :D
-Storm

DMoogle

A$
Ness is hard to learn at mid to high level play, but at lower level play he isn't too difficult to learn and he's a total beast (top tier for sure).

Lower level play isn't really for this thread though.

D

Deleted member

I know this sounds like a dumb question but why isn't this stickied? I'm afraid that people may have trouble finding this in the future or whatever.

D

Deleted member

Wtf? This forum doesn't have a mod? A lot of other threads are stickied. What happened to the mods who stickied them? :S

asianaussie

Smash Hero
A mod stickied my new smash index not long ago. It was surprisingly efficient.

And the tier list takes up like...a quarter of my smash index.

Ellimist1221

Smash Rookie
Not even close!

I must respectfully disagree with this tier listing. There is no way that Samus could end up being last. I honestly think that she is the strongest character in the game.

Ellimist1221

Smash Rookie
Seriously, in the right hands Samus is the most dangerous character in the game. Yea, this may only be my second post on the boards, but I've been playing Super Smash Bros. on the 64 for well over a decade and all I'm saying is that in my experience Samus is the best character there is.

Ellimist1221

Smash Rookie
There are moves like her "down a" that renders any character helpless either falling to the ground or bouncing up into the air and unable to move for just long enough to do her back kick in the air which will send the opponent flying off the stage almost regardless of how much damage they already have. There's the charge shot which is effective at launching opponents off the stage as well as doing up to 26% damage. Now using that charge shot is kind of scary when fighting against a fox or ness, but Samus is still able to maneuver around enough that it doesn't make that big of a difference. When Samus is sent flying off the stage she is able to float back from the brink of death almost effortlessly. Really for me it's more of a personal prefrence though, I've always fought with Samus and I know how to fight so that I come out on top.

Top Bottom