• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The ~New~ SWF GYM! Newbies and New Years Resolution Peeps Wanted!

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
Running a 12k race tonight at 12:12 A.M. on 12/12/12. This will definately be fun. Hoping to run about 6:30 per mile pace for the whole thing.

Edit: I just got back from this race and ran like garbage. It took me 52:00 even. Last year there was an 11k on 11/11/11, and it took me 43:29 to complete it. 1k is about 0.62 miles, so realistically if I had the same pace per mile as last year I should have ran this race in about a little over 47:00. I've been slacking badly on running since October and it showed tonight. My mental confidence is down as well.

I'm definately not going to wallow in this. Going to finish out the year with simple running and then go into 2013 with a monkey on my back. I've got the same running goals year after year and never accomplish them. I'll state these later on when we all talk about our fitness New Year's Resolutions. Still too early to get into it.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
That's good to hear Shark, use it to motivate you the next K run.

I wish there was some sort of K run nearby me. I'd love to see if I can make it through one.

SnackAttack

Smash Champion
**** guys...

i've been really bad about taking my supplements

i've still been working out and ****, but i don't get nearly enough protein from food alone

theeboredone

Smash Legend
So the creatine effects are starting to take place. Played basketball today...zomg never in my life have I gotten thirsty so quickly and repeatedly. I'm pretty sure a few of the people there thought something was wrong with me lol.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Snack, if I remember correctly, you said you'd only recently begun to exercise seriously (within the past 6 months or so). If my memory serves me well, then the need for supplements should be nil. As you've seen, I'm a dude of some fair dimensions at 210, 6'3". That being said, even at my weight and height, I personally have no need for supplements.

That isn't to say one shouldn't take them, but I wouldn't worry too much about them. Generally though, supplements are not a good idea, simply because the supplement industry is entirely unregulated and most products will have toxic (yes, toxic--renal, hepatic and many other kinds of toxic) filler in them. Muscle Milk, EAS and a few others, for instance, tested positive for cadmium, mercury, arsenic and a few other nasty heavy metals. In fact, Bodybuilding.com was recently fined $7,000,000 for selling steroid-laced supplements back in '09 or so.

Just so no one thinks I'm bull****ting them about not needing supplements, here's a comparison of me two-and-a-half years ago and about five months ago (right and left, respectively).

When I first started off, I naively took supplements for about 3 months, but I don't think anyone in their right mind would argue that three months on a soy supplement while not really even lifting would create results.

So yeah. Hope all that's helpful. It's totally one's choice to do so if it makes them feel better, but hopefully my personal progress is fair evidence that supplements aren't a necessity. I get by on tuna, cottage cheese, oatmeal, milk, eggs and others kind of fish/poultry. I know it sounds nasty, but there're ways to make all of 'em taste amazing. Mix a little fat free mayonnaise into the tuna, put fruit into the cottage cheese and oatmeal and season the meat/eggs as you like. Though, if one were to buy a supplement, they should check all of the ingredients first. Only problem is that the <good> and natural stuff is way more expensive than just getting your protein through normal means. 5lbs for top-of-the-line powder is usually $50-90.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
Actually, I've got a fantastic book for detailing evidence based nutritional guidelines: 'clinical sports nutrition' (can't remember the author).

Anyway, a rct within described 1/10 supplements from the us/eu as having a banned/illegal substance within....

Verm just reminded me lol

:phone:

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
So now that 2012 is coming to a close and 2013 is basically here, does anyone have any New Year's Resolutions for working out?

Mine are to:

1.)Run 2,500 Miles
2.)Bike 1,000 Miles
3.)Swim 100 Miles
4.)Lift weights frequently to get stronger by working various parts on different days of the week.

I feel good about possibly accomplishing the Running and Swimming part of this because I love these two activities. As for the bike, I don't do it often, and it the weather is bad due to elements such as snow, it will be tough.

I know my lifting goal is vague. I really don't know what to expect out of me in terms of lifting weights. I just want to be stronger in strength, but if I look stronger than that's a bonus because I'm scrawny.

Overall, I'm looking forward to 2013.

Thundermistress

BRoomer
BRoomer
Came back from Tasmania after two weeks of not exercising, hit the gym the next day (Thursday), fell super sick that night. Burgh. Hoping I'm in good enough shape to get back to the gym tomorrow, got a lot of catch up to do!

I don't really have any goals other than to do 3 chin ups in a row. Small steps. Small steps. Haha c:

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Actually, I've got a fantastic book for detailing evidence based nutritional guidelines: 'clinical sports nutrition' (can't remember the author).

Anyway, a rct within described 1/10 supplements from the us/eu as having a banned/illegal substance within....

Verm just reminded me lol

:phone:
Yeah, I don't remember hearing about 'roids being in many (maybe 5 total), but even things as small as stevia can be a big thing, since stevia can really upset your GI system.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
That's some interesting info on supplements. I don't take supplements of any kind, but it's always simply been a choice for me, a matter of principle--I've never had anything against supplements or people who use them, but I wanted to avoid them myself, wanted to know that I could work toward fitness goals and maintain them through diet and exercise alone, that I wasn't dependent on factory-made industrial-strength stuff to do it. Not to mention how expensive they can run.

However, based on what you guys (Verm and shmot) have said, perhaps it's the right choice for more than just personal reasons.

SnackAttack

Smash Champion
That's some interesting info on supplements. I don't take supplements of any kind, but it's always simply been a choice for me, a matter of principle--I've never had anything against supplements or people who use them, but I wanted to avoid them myself, wanted to know that I could work toward fitness goals and maintain them through diet and exercise alone, that I wasn't dependent on factory-made industrial-strength stuff to do it. Not to mention how expensive they can run.

However, based on what you guys (Verm and shmot) have said, perhaps it's the right choice for more than just personal reasons.
I'm a pretty small guy, even considering the gains I've made. I just happen to swim literally every night and lift like three times a week. I need the supplements because i would say I only get 50-60 grams of protein from food alone. I literally go to the cafeteria and drink nothing but milk and water. I want to try to get off them, but I'm not big enough to eat that much yet. :(

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Snack, if I remember correctly, you said you'd only recently begun to exercise seriously (within the past 6 months or so). If my memory serves me well, then the need for supplements should be nil. As you've seen, I'm a dude of some fair dimensions at 210, 6'3". That being said, even at my weight and height, I personally have no need for supplements.

That isn't to say one shouldn't take them, but I wouldn't worry too much about them. Generally though, supplements are not a good idea, simply because the supplement industry is entirely unregulated and most products will have toxic (yes, toxic--renal, hepatic and many other kinds of toxic) filler in them. Muscle Milk, EAS and a few others, for instance, tested positive for cadmium, mercury, arsenic and a few other nasty heavy metals. In fact, Bodybuilding.com was recently fined $7,000,000 for selling steroid-laced supplements back in '09 or so.

Just so no one thinks I'm bull****ting them about not needing supplements, here's a comparison of me two-and-a-half years ago and about five months ago (right and left, respectively).

When I first started off, I naively took supplements for about 3 months, but I don't think anyone in their right mind would argue that three months on a soy supplement while not really even lifting would create results.

So yeah. Hope all that's helpful. It's totally one's choice to do so if it makes them feel better, but hopefully my personal progress is fair evidence that supplements aren't a necessity. I get by on tuna, cottage cheese, oatmeal, milk, eggs and others kind of fish/poultry. I know it sounds nasty, but there're ways to make all of 'em taste amazing. Mix a little fat free mayonnaise into the tuna, put fruit into the cottage cheese and oatmeal and season the meat/eggs as you like. Though, if one were to buy a supplement, they should check all of the ingredients first. Only problem is that the <good> and natural stuff is way more expensive than just getting your protein through normal means. 5lbs for top-of-the-line powder is usually $50-90.
Verm, you give me hope for my future self. I want to build myself but I read and hear about taking all these sorts of supplements and stuff. Personally, I want to avoid all that.

So now that 2012 is coming to a close and 2013 is basically here, does anyone have any New Year's Resolutions for working out?

Mine are to:

1.)Run 2,500 Miles
2.)Bike 1,000 Miles
3.)Swim 100 Miles
4.)Lift weights frequently to get stronger by working various parts on different days of the week.

I feel good about possibly accomplishing the Running and Swimming part of this because I love these two activities. As for the bike, I don't do it often, and it the weather is bad due to elements such as snow, it will be tough.

I know my lifting goal is vague. I really don't know what to expect out of me in terms of lifting weights. I just want to be stronger in strength, but if I look stronger than that's a bonus because I'm scrawny.

Overall, I'm looking forward to 2013.
Personally for me, I am better at running that I was before (my calfs are like steel) so I'm now set for setting a vague goal of lifting/fixing my upper body and gaining a phyisque like Verm.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
I'm a pretty small guy, even considering the gains I've made. I just happen to swim literally every night and lift like three times a week. I need the supplements because i would say I only get 50-60 grams of protein from food alone. I literally go to the cafeteria and drink nothing but milk and water.
I can totally relate. I'm not a big guy either, and I've always had trouble gaining weight/muscle mass. However, over the past year or so, I've really upped my calorie intake, and I'm actually seriously gaining weight for the first time in a long time. This last sentence of your post really stuck out to me:
I want to try to get off them, but I'm not big enough to eat that much yet.
I think you're looking at it the wrong way. You think that to eat a lot (or at least, to eat more than you're eating now) you need to be big, but that you can't get bigger without eating a lot, or without taking supplements. But it's a nonexistent Catch-22; you can eat a lot. It really is that simple. More calories=more weight (hopefully in the form of muscle mass). You don't increase your capacity for food by increasing your size; it's the other way around: increase size by eating more food. Start eating more. Eat when you're not hungry. Eat more meals, and eat between meals, and increase portion sizes. It might feel like you can't, but you can.

A year ago I'd have said that I would never gain weight, because I was eating a lot and having lots of eggs and milk and chicken, etc. and still not seeing a big difference. So I forced myself to eat even more (despite the fact that I thought my stomach couldn't handle it), and bit by bit, my stomach's capacity began to grow.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Don't be fooled into thinking you have to eat a ton though, guys. If you're seeing slow gains, 9/10 times it's a matter of time rather than diet (though they can both be an issue). To start seeing visible results at ANY body type, it takes a minimum of a year--maybe more. Of course, for weight loss, it can be as little as a week, but for muscle increase, it's probably the closest bodily function to inertia.

@Snack: I know I'm stating the obvious, but really try not to take supplements. It's better to not have enough protein than to get the protein through a net of potentially harmful filler. Things like cottage cheese, milk, tuna and oatmeal (w/milk) have a ton of protein for a proportionally small space occupation.

@Grey: First of all, thank you, sir. I'm flattered that you think I look alright. Secondly, yes: don't get discouraged into thinking that any lack of ostensible progress is due to not taking supplements. It's ultimately healthier and cheaper to build up with a normal diet. The only trade-off is convenience. It's far easier to scoop powder into a glass of water than it is to cook chicken, oatmeal or prepare cottage cheese.

Jane

Smash Hero
i started seeing real, serious results 3 months in. but i suppose its different for everyone. still though, saying you wont see results for a year seems a bit much for anyone.

anyways, back to my original reason for this post -- the supplements. reading all the supplement talk these past couple of days ive been sitting here nodding my head in agreement with verm and goldshadow's post about eating. but it didnt hit me until verm's latest post that what i take (protein powder) is a supplement, haha. i was thinking you guys were talking about creatine and beyond.

in defense of protein supplements however, they are time convenient and they do speed up gains. are they a risk? certainly, but like all the other things in life which have a risk factor (like, say, lifting), all it takes is research and some thinking skills to make good decisions. now, unfortunately a lot of people dont really care, so theyll just buy the cheapest/most convincingly advertised protein they find. but i believe that protein supplements can be a part of anyones diet without negatively affecting their longterm health.

like i said though, protein is as far as i'll go because a) dont care to do research on further supplements b) why?

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
i started seeing real, serious results 3 months in. but i suppose its different for everyone. still though, saying you wont see results for a year seems a bit much for anyone.

anyways, back to my original reason for this post -- the supplements. reading all the supplement talk these past couple of days ive been sitting here nodding my head in agreement with verm and goldshadow's post about eating. but it didnt hit me until verm's latest post that what i take (protein powder) is a supplement, haha. i was thinking you guys were talking about creatine and beyond.

in defense of protein supplements however, they are time convenient and they do speed up gains. are they a risk? certainly, but like all the other things in life which have a risk factor (like, say, lifting), all it takes is research and some thinking skills to make good decisions. now, unfortunately a lot of people dont really care, so theyll just buy the cheapest/most convincingly advertised protein they find. but i believe that protein supplements can be a part of anyones diet without negatively affecting their longterm health.

like i said though, protein is as far as i'll go because a) dont care to do research on further supplements b) why?
The only things that truly speed up gains are steroids. I'll have to find the article where I read the study, but the difference in gains between a person who used whey for one year, then went without the next, only saw a difference of like 4%. I definitely agree that protein powder can be worked into people's diets, but the issue is that most protein supplements have mostly filler. There's another study I can't cite unfortunately, but hopefully you guys'll take my word on it, that a supplement was made for $1.25 a bottle, and sold for $25 due there being a roughly 90:10 ratio of sugar, flour and filler vs. actual protein isolates.

I just don't believe it's a good idea to put things into one's body that they aren't positive about the function of. For example, one of the more common supplements, Body Fortress, uses acesulfame potassium and sucralose as sweeteners (which cause digestive health issues), and several other chemicals like valine and taurine. They're amino acids, but whey is a very complete protein, which makes the addition of other amino acids suspect--not to mention taurine in particular has been documented to have serious side-effects like lithium retention. Beyond this, supplement makers aren't obligated to include filler on the ingredients list, so you don't know what else is in there without a label without a USDA certification. So again, I do agree protein can be a healthy part of a person's diet, but not unless it's a certifiably clean supplement, which one can't get for under 50$. Whey's not cheap to make, and anything selling for cheap is just screaming that it's full of junk. The price discrepancy between a $56 1.5lbs pouch of organic whey and a 5lbs tub of common whey for $30 isn't just the organic company's greed.

As for seeing results, let me rephrase: when a person just begins, they'll see results almost immediately as a result of neuromuscular adaptation to the recent stress on the muscles--"newbie gains" as some like to call them. But after this short period of gains (mostly in strength; not size), one's progress slows to a crawl and gets progressively slower. As to <how> slow, there's a study (which I can actually cite!) that stated for people new to bodybuilding, the range of gains in a full year were 8-20lbs, working out 7 hours a week on at least 5 different days with strict nutrition.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/expectations/

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
First 2013 Log:

1/1/2013 - 1/6/2013

Run 54.70 Miles: (2,445.30 Miles from Year End Goal)
Swim: 0.50 Miles: (99.5 Miles from Year End Goal)
Bike: 3.90 Miles: (996.10 Miles from Year End Goal)

Lift: Two Days, various arm and leg workouts, pushups, situps, and pullups.

I wish I had biked and swam at least one more day during this 6 day stretch. The biking is a bit tough to do with the snow and ice on the ground. The biking will be slow at first, but will definitely pick up by summer. The running is going great so far.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
If that's been going on for a whole month, you might want to try seeing if something else is going on in your life.

I just happen to hit the gym yesterday, and even when I was warming up my legs prior to working out, I just didn't have any energy, lift, or even coordination with them. It felt like I had just finished running for hours or something. I just skipped the squats, but managed to at least get the smaller exercises in.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I haven't gained any weight for 6 months now, but I've made gains though. For the first three months I was doing high weight, low reps, and now I've switched to medium reps, lower weight for the last three months. I keep making gains on a week to two basis, but my weight hasn't changed. I think I'm eating enough, but playing basketball is sort of making any weight gain stall.

So what's going on? I'm gonna have to put on weight at some point, right? Or can I keep following this formula?

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
Weekly Summary #2 for 2013

1/7/2013 - 1/13/2013

Running: 48.3 Miles in 6:32:02 2013 Total: 103 Miles in 15:51:25 (2,397 Miles from 2013 Goal)

Biking: 0 Miles 2013 Total: 3.90 Miles (996.10 Miles from 2013 Goal)
Swimming: 0 Miles 2013 Total: 0.50 Miles (99.5 Miles from 2013 Goal)

Lifting: Did not Lift.

Yeah, it's lame that I only ran this week. All the snow and ice has melted with 40 degree and above temperatures. I should have biked a little bit. I also should have put in some kind of minimal lifting. That's pathetic.

I will do all 4 activities this week as oppose to 1.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
I haven't gained any weight for 6 months now, but I've made gains though. For the first three months I was doing high weight, low reps, and now I've switched to medium reps, lower weight for the last three months. I keep making gains on a week to two basis, but my weight hasn't changed. I think I'm eating enough, but playing basketball is sort of making any weight gain stall.

So what's going on? I'm gonna have to put on weight at some point, right? Or can I keep following this formula?
It can take up to a solid year to start seeing appreciable results. Not to mention, measuring exact muscle gain requires some frame of reference like a skin fold test and weighing at a certain time of day (such as waking up, since you're dehydrated then).

Not to mention, cardio doesn't stuff gains, so I wouldn't worry about that. One can't burn muscle during an activity unless they haven't eaten anything in several days and is at a very low body fat %.

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord
I saw Body Fortress and puked in my mouth a little.

http://proteinfactory.com/shop/home.php

You can get 97% pure why isolate here or get it unlfavored and unsweetend and it's nigh 100. No clumps, no sick stomach, no lactose problems, only as much filler as you want it to have. You can even have it just be protein with no flavor, sweetener, anything..but it costs more than $12 for 2.5lbs.

Like Vernubis said it's not a game changer as far as diet goes and if you're not eating enough quality whole foods it won't help at all. But it's an effective way to tell your body to stop breaking **** down after a hard workout. That's really about all it's for.

BoredOne if you're making gains who cares what you weigh? lol weight will come in time. Are the weights getting easier, are you getting stronger on average? Best ways to tell imo but more carbs and protein in your post workout meals so that you're in a caloric surplus will help you gain weight. Just be careful which kind of weight you gain.

How's everybody been I'm poor so I don't have a computer lol and haven't checked in in a while.
About a month when I get a little closer down to the weight I'm aiming for I'll post some progress pics vs when I was here before if I can find them lol.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
It's not that I'm really worried. I'll take making gains while not gaining weight any day. But more or less, sort of against the "norm", given how people tend to break down working out + diet. You're either lifting + bulking, or lifting + cutting. So generally weight fluctuates in one direction or another.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Well, bulking/cutting are specific to bodybuilding. Are you a bodybuilder?

I don't do any bulking/cutting either, because I have no interest in bodybuilding.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
No, I'm not a bodybuilder, but when I want to put on pounds or shed body fat, I would assume it is best to adapt one of those mentalities.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
You actually don't need to bulk while lifting to gain muscle. Bulking is essentially just another way of saying "stuff your face to ensure protein needs are met and getting fat in the process," versus just having a strict diet.

Just thought I'd say. :p

daballa100

Smash Cadet
Yeah, bulking isn't a good idea imo. I've tried doing a traditional bodybuilding bulk in the past, and my bodyfat % was not looking too good. Bulking and then cutting isn't really a good idea imo, because if you care about how your body looks, bulking won't be for you.

Just stick to putting on a couple pounds a month while getting your lifts up and you should be fine. Slow and steady will get you places too. If you still put on too much fat with just a couple pounds a month, then you can always diet after a little bit after a few months.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
Weekly Summary #3 for 2013

1/14/2013 - 1/20/2013

Running: 19.40 Miles in 3:04:30. 2013 Total: 122.40 Miles in 18:55:55 (2,377.60 Miles from 2013 Goal)

Biking: 0 Miles 2013 Total: 3.90 Miles (996.10 Miles from 2013 Goal)
Swimming: 0 Miles 2013 Total: 0.50 Miles (99.5 Miles from 2013 Goal)

Lifting: Did not Lift.

I didn't do any better this week from last week and that irks me. The good news is now I realize the daily routine I need to have in order to succeed in these goals, and that is to run and lift ultra early in the morning each day before I can possibly get busy. On Sunday morning I ran at 5:34 A.M, and on MLK day ran at 3:32 A.M, then lifted afterward around 5:30 A.M. I prefer to workout early in the day as oppose to any other time anyways.

SnackAttack

Smash Champion
Running... at 3:30 AM?!

My god. I could never. I wanted to kill myself the one time I had to get up at 5:30 for swim practice. Lololol

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Any benefit to doing two different exercises together? For example, when I'm doing a tricep pull, I immediately go to the mat after it so I can do some medicine ball crunches. Rest a lil bit, repeat.

MASAHIROx

Smash Lord
Just checking in with you guys

been gaining weight finally!!!

I'm up to 187lbs
Was around 170/175 for like three years but I've startd to eat more ever snice I cut back on smoking. The christmas season finally caught up with me.

I look kinda chubby but I'm going for that powerlifter look so I don't mind at all if I grow a little beer belly. No big deal.

Bench - 155 lbs
squat - 225 lbs
deadlift - 185 lbs

I want to post before and after pics!

Top Bottom