• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Super Awesome Oregon Home Thread!!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peach Masta

Smash Lord
That's what I was saying though, Yugo. The game is really hard to get into because you get 0-death'd with people who have better knowledge. Yeah it's your fault for not knowing how to block mix ups and approach, but everyone doesn't know how to do that when they first start. I feel it's a lot harder to learn in MvC because even at lower intermediate play the people know how to 0-death. You're not going to get 0-death by a super average smash player. It's hard to learn a game when you can't do anything. Obviously over time you learn how to play more effectively, but I was just saying it's frustrating at first to play the game.

T0MMY

Smash Master
That's good to hear that you'll still be around.
Try out Marvel and see how you like it, but don't overlook Skullgirls; SG is just new enough that getting into the scene is a bit more welcoming than older games.
And maybe I'll play more Project: M with you -- your Lucario was a lot of fun with all the stuff you'd pull out and I'd say ' I didn't know Lucario could do that! ' haha, good times.

Izayah

Smash Journeyman
That's what I was saying though, Yugo. The game is really hard to get into because you get 0-death'd with people who have better knowledge. Yeah it's your fault for not knowing how to block mix ups and approach, but everyone doesn't know how to do that when they first start. I feel it's a lot harder to learn in MvC because even at lower intermediate play the people know how to 0-death. You're not going to get 0-death by a super average smash player. It's hard to learn a game when you can't do anything. Obviously over time you learn how to play more effectively, but I was just saying it's frustrating at first to play the game.
Well, that's assuming you either never ask questions, or just jump into the fray with someone who isn't going to try to teach you. Trust me, if you ask questions about how to avoid whatever mixup or situation that you were in, there are probably 4-6 ways the person would tell you. Also, I already addressed the 0-deaths.

Ratking1234

Smash Ace
Well, that's assuming you either never ask questions, or just jump into the fray with someone who isn't going to try to teach you. Trust me, if you ask questions about how to avoid whatever mixup or situation that you were in, there are probably 4-6 ways the person would tell you. Also, I already addressed the 0-deaths.
Yeah, I kinda am going to have to agree with this. A lot of **** comes down to how much you understand the game, and how much people are willing to share with you. Of course it is going to seem dumb if you don't put the time and energy into actually figuring out what is going on, get frustrated and say "that game sucks because of xxxxxxx". Melee is equally as bad and disheartening when put in the same positions; maybe even worse at times I feel.

At least also with marvel, and maybe because I've been playing a pretty demanding game leading up to it, I feel like in the last week, I have made more progress than I had anticipated, and that makes it seem really fun. Maybe I am totally wrong in my assessment of my progress, but I have definitely surprised myself, and I am stoked on that.

P.S. I am doing this for fun, and something to do to pass the time and remain competitive, but trying to get good doesn't really hurt. You know my thoughts on how good of a game Melee is Gage. I think it's probably the best fighting game, and maybe even the best game I have ever played, period. However despite how good I think it is, it's just not really that fun right now, and if something isn't fun, it's hard to drive yourself to perform. Look at Jesse, most of us know how amazing he is, but when he doesn't have fun, he is like ****ard status on purpose. :bee::bee:

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I've been told by UMvC3 players that it's the most infuriating game they've ever played, even if they win. I inquired further, but they were playing at the time and were so infuriated that they yelled at me and shoved me.

I guess 'fun' is subjective. XD

Izayah

Smash Journeyman
At least also with marvel, and maybe because I've been playing a pretty demanding game leading up to it, I feel like in the last week, I have made more progress than I had anticipated, and that makes it seem really fun. Maybe I am totally wrong in my assessment of my progress, but I have definitely surprised myself, and I am stoked on that.
Speaking of which, when are you free for me to come down and evaluate/train you? And you better not live like 4948390 miles into a mountain down a secret base or something.

Ratking1234

Smash Ace
Speaking of which, when are you free for me to come down and evaluate/train you? And you better not live like 4948390 miles into a mountain down a secret base or something.
I do live like 4948390 miles into a mountain down a secret base. Actually, I live like 5-10 minute driving from BB. Like 80 or so blocks? I walked from around there once and it took about 45 minutes. I live/where we would be playing, is in Sellwood. Not sure where you are coming from, if you're still in Portland or what. If you are, I can pick you up, if coming from outside of Portland, bus into downtown or wherever convenient and I can pick you up.

Gimme like 2 more days. My last day of work is tomorrow, then I have 22 days until I leave for tour. I wanna get some of these Wesker combos down (they seem pretty simple by comparison to what I've been doing with Magneto), and then we will go from there. I still haven't even touched Doom yet, so maybe I will start working on that some with you or something. Definitely super excited to do this.

I almost messaged you on FB, but was leaving the house; something happened like 2 days ago, and **** just clicked. Not sure if it will transfer to the other characters I need to work on, but suddenly the timing and **** of all the stuff I was confused on, just made sense; Fly loops went from being super frustrating and 50/50 to super easy and like 80/20. Also figured out the RoM loop for the most part, purely on accident, just by having a better understanding. I need to actually look at some transcripts to optimize the damage though. I can get my fly loops to a corner with wesker OTG and level 3 hyper for usually a 0-death on wolverine now. SO EXCITED! ZOMG!

Izayah

Smash Journeyman
I do live like 4948390 miles into a mountain down a secret base. Actually, I live like 5-10 minute driving from BB. Like 80 or so blocks? I walked from around there once and it took about 45 minutes. I live/where we would be playing, is in Sellwood. Not sure where you are coming from, if you're still in Portland or what. If you are, I can pick you up, if coming from outside of Portland, bus into downtown or wherever convenient and I can pick you up.
I'm in Portland and amazingly close to BB. I'll address all those other things you said later.
Also, if it takes you 3 levels to 0-death Wolverine I think you might be doing something wrong.

Ratking1234

Smash Ace
It's without going into a real good combo or hyper grav or anything "real" after wesker. I know I can get something better. I was just stoked to finally see a fully depleted health bar.n

:phone:

ChinesePanda777

Smash Apprentice
I totally get and agree that most things bad that happen in Marvel are the player's own damn fault; a lot of people seem unable to block or wanna push buttons, especially those that come from SF4. I just really dislike how often happy birthdays, X-factor comebacks, and similarly annoying things happen in TOP level matches. Double snapbacks in Marvel 2 seemed a lot rarer and resulted in the loss of just 1 character. And that's not really assuming, that's based on my observations which could easily be limited.

I don't mean to **** on your game though. As you pointed out and as I was writing that earlier post, I thought it was like what people always do for melee which is the last thing I wanted.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
So my brother got SC5, it's pretty much the opposite of most fighters: Amazing graphics, but most of the combos feel really clunky and fractured. I'm kinda enjoying it though. I doubt it's the most competitively fit, but it is kinda fun to wail on people, and although the VAing is hit-or-miss, I kind of like having a more 3-dimensional system, and how there are some stage dynamics. Probably the same reason why I liked my first couple of times in Mortal Kombat 9 at a friend's house. I'm not sure if I'm ready to pick up on MvC, I might try it a couple times now that Kevin has it.

FoosJr

Smash Ace
Best bouts are now on friday and they start at 7.
Also just found out that best bout is closed tonight due to NWM so who wants to play?

:phone:

FoosJr

Smash Ace
I would but someone would have to be willing to house like 4 people cause i'm not going to corvallis then back up then back down to eugene.

T0MMY

Smash Master
I know Portland and Corvallis just came down to Eugene for Batcave, so how likely is it that Melee players would show up for a BCG on the 23rd?
Just need to know if I should put more focus on Brawl/Skullgirls/SSBVC/KI:U with the scheduling.

FoosJr

Smash Ace
not likely for me. I went to the hospital sunday for my leg they now have me on 2 different pain killers and I'm not allowed to drive until this gets fixed. Which according to the dr could take 2 months. Also is anyone planning on going to best bout both friday and saturday? Kinda want to get a head count.

Jackie

Smash Journeyman
Hello, I'm an AZ melee player moving to Portland at the end of July. I don't really play video games, but I'd like to assimilate into the Oregon crew if you guys are melee-active. I'll also be in Portland the first week of July to visit, so I'd be down to smash a little and do other weird things like go to the market and cook up a feast. Here's my FB in case you want to lurk and judge me, feel free to add me. Also feel free to probe me with any questions to get to know me.

Infinitora

Smash Journeyman
Looks like Eugene is gonna have to step it up and be the regular hosts around Oregon for the time being. Gah, I need to practice ;p

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Okay, we'll go to Shane's basement and hang out with his awesome friend Anthony.

Infinitora

Smash Journeyman
To be fair, after brawl came out, portland melee wasn't very strong. Corvallis held the most bustling scene until last summer.
This is true. Also, top players quitting have a snowball effect. And to be clear that's not directed at anyone, we had a few quit and it went from there, but I feel that the new guys that moved here will help us out a lot with activity considering I know at least one of them is better than us. Well, they are probably both better than me but you know what I mean. Anyway, smashfest at my place today in Eugene, 207 s 40th st, Springfield 97478. 4 of us are confirmed so far. If more come you may want to bring another setup.

FoosJr

Smash Ace
wish i could drive i'd be down to smash but naw my leg gotta be all ****ed up still hopefully it'll heal up soon so i can go to i.e smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom