• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Super Awesome Oregon Home Thread!!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

keeper

Smash Champion
NOregon would beat SOregon in a decent set, but if it were comparable to a best of series, it'd be like NOr winning in a best of nine 5-3. In turn, NOr would lost to WA about 5-2 unless they decided to only use Shane, Vish, and Otto for trump cards after ****ing around.

Surreal

Smash Ace
Sorry if I come off as a jerk or something, I just have fun MM people, even for just a dollar.
And im pretty sure when I first came back to the scene you agreed to MM me anyways, it just never happened.
I probably did, but I don't care enough anymore to still desire to do it.

Also sorry for being a complete ***. Mood swings, etc etc

Ratking1234

Smash Ace
Also you use knee too much.
Timmy kinda said it... But that is impossible Can't do it enough

I'm going to go ahead and start the work on the next "Season" for the PR. I'm going to take Ratking's suggestion and go for a 3-month period. This will work out to be:

Q1 = Jan-Feb-March
Q2 = April-May-June
Q3 = July-Aug-Sept
Q4 = Oct-Nov-Dec

What I can do with this is take all four Quarters and produce a year-end ranking for a look at the bigger picture. :)

(just a BTW: Jonny's ranking SCORE is really good. From what I see he's going to be ranked really high even with Gage, Juce, Ratking, etc. appearing in brackets)
Awesome! As for the year end idea, that is cool if you want to do it simply as a novelty; but in terms of an actual PR, i think each period should stand alone in determining the "real" list. As people improve, they don't want their previous endeavors to bring them down. This gives people a chance to continue to advance not shackled by when they were greater noobs.

Also Surreal, why do you care about all the PR stuff, if you don't care about playing the game now? Let us all have fun and enjoy it. You don't need to bring down the people that do care. I don't think it is about an ego stroke at all in the long run. I think it is about giving people something to strive for. If I am lower than someone, and I want to continue to improve at the game, I am going to push it harder so I can surpass them. Not for the sake of my ego, but to show myself I have continued to improve. It is easy to hit a wall playing this game, and the PR gives you something to motivate yourself in order to overcome the wall.

keeper

Smash Champion
Feel free to correct my sentences for me, im sure as hell not gonna do it :)
gl hf
#life

I guess it's your choice to look like a fool for little to no reason and to neglect utilizing skills you should have acquired before the age of 11.

Also Surreal, why do you care about all the PR stuff, if you don't care about playing the game now? Let us all have fun and enjoy it. You don't need to bring down the people that do care. I don't think it is about an ego stroke at all in the long run. I think it is about giving people something to strive for. If I am lower than someone, and I want to continue to improve at the game, I am going to push it harder so I can surpass them. Not for the sake of my ego, but to show myself I have continued to improve. It is easy to hit a wall playing this game, and the PR gives you something to motivate yourself in order to overcome the wall.
It is a bit weird and difficult to assign quantitative values to mostly qualitative data that's ever shifting with multi-faceted variables with no constants.
I do understand the desire humans have to put things in lists as it creates a tangible set to view and that it allows oneself to look onto the set and understand their place.

Ratking1234

Smash Ace
It is a bit weird and difficult to assign quantitative values to mostly qualitative data that's ever shifting with multi-faceted variables with no constants.
I don't really think this is relevant to what I said, or what you quoted. However, if you are referring to the method of arriving at the list that Timmy has put forth, I would have to agree. However in this instance, I feel it is one of the most suitable methods. Actually, I think the idea of that, and having a panel is most ideal, as I stated before. Having the data and a panel doesn't solve the problem that you have pointed out, with the data itself; it allows people to compensate for what they might see as problematic with the data.

Also, it isn't weird to assign quantitative values to qualitative data in general. Take a psychology or sociology class. It happens a lot. Not saying I am down with those disciplines, but they have some academic merit, and it is relatively common practice. I also worked at a market research firm for like 2 years, and we did surveys about peoples trips to this vet hospital. Same deal, quantitative values were assigned to aspects of their experience. How much faith you are willing to sink into that kinda analysis is up to you, but people pay hella money for that ****, so someone thinks it is somehow circumstantially important.

Binx

Smash Master
I think it's pretty easy to see who is playing the best, as long as we have a panel that actually attends tournaments and sees how good people are, and we can back it up by looking at tournament brackets, it should be pretty easy to rank who the best players are in general.

Are there likely to be some mistakes? yeah, but it shouldn't be so bad that it doesnt work, and if someone is placed one or two or 3 people lower than they feel they deserve to then they better bring their A game to tournaments for the next month or two so we can see it from them and adjust accordingly.

Having multiple panelists rank people and averaging rankings should help to minimize bias as to who the panelists have difficult times with and should show who the better players are.

JonnyW

Smash Ace
gl hf
#life
I guess it's your choice to look like a fool for little to no reason and to neglect utilizing skills you should have acquired before the age of 11.
iz diz b2ttur k33phur? c@vse ! c@nn tlk lik3 diz 2 chu bby.
But seriously, this is the internet where most posts are typed in 10 seconds. Im pretty sure most people dont think someone is a fool for typing sentence fragments or having words misspelled. If you think im a fool for typing a sentence fragment then you judge people on dumb things. Also lighten up keeper, you make it hard to breathe.
PS. I like you a lot.

On another note. How are we deciding who gets on the panel?/ Who is deciding who is on the panel when the time comes to actually get players together?

JonnyW

Smash Ace
good! wait.. how did you beat foos!? anyways I couldn't because I didn't have a ride.
I live like 45mins from there.
Im not sure man, its probably cause we play each other a bit, we both dont really care about fighting each other in the bracket or other serious matches.
ORRR it was that Falcon > Sheik hahahahaha :)

JonnyW

Smash Ace
You two switched characters so much in your matches that "falcon > sheik" does not apply at all.
True but when we did play falcon sheik i won. I switched characters a lot cause i didn't care that much about our set. I was just saying falcon > sheik to be funny cause thats so not how it is.
edit:Foos ***** hard.

debaser

Smash Lord
sup environmental statistics.

yeah, I think the ranked by number method isn't that great. australia uses a tier system for their pr which I think is a more accurate way to represent a smash community.

keeper

Smash Champion
yourpostherelol
I just think most people in the community could make a list and come up with it that would be more accurate than any statistical PR could. People are going to have bad days (Jesse) and sometimes people don't show up, but are still really good (Bart).

iz diz b2ttur k33phur? c@vse ! c@nn tlk lik3 diz 2 chu bby.
I'm not proud of it, but I can completely read and write this kind of stuff.

I mostly don't understand why anyone would want to come off looking uneducated when in the regular world I'd say most people try really hard to avoid looking so.

jonny! keeper is a poop head, but I still love him forever even though his head is made of poop.
You are a doodoo head. >=(
Falcon > Sheik
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_5LnKVfS5M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rvxZQ-df88#t=3m32s works too

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
@keeper
While your views on a Power Ranking may be valid it doesn't mean that it's the only view. Just because players want to look at the numbers and see where active players are ranked doesn't mean it's unimportant or unjustified.

For instance, for one it might be a motivation to do well and getting to the top of the PR can be a clear goal. For another, it might help evaluate how well he\she is performing over a number of tournaments.

For the most part I'd see a consensus that a Power Ranking is desired, for whatever reasons it may be.

... if someone is placed one or two or 3 people lower than they feel they deserve to then they better bring their A game to tournaments for the next month or two so we can see it from them and adjust accordingly.

Having multiple panelists rank people and averaging rankings should help to minimize bias as to who the panelists have difficult times with and should show who the better players are.
I would like to take this opportunity to say that with the system I'm using - assuming I didn't make any typos or dumb mistakes - there really shouldn't be any feelings of being 'ranked lower than they deserve'. I'm not saying the system is 'perfect' but rather that it has an objective task and should only be looked at in said objective viewpoint.

In other words, the calculations are simply a break-down of tournament data and result in a summary of performance. If someone is 'ranked too low' then it is because they didn't perform as well in the tournament samples.

For example, a lot of us (myself included) can look at the Summer-2011 rankings and say "Hey, Foos is ranked too low". When we say that we're actually acknowledging that Foos is a really good player, it's just that he didn't take decisive games in the tournaments that were sampled.

Also, it's important to note that everyone should take a look at the extra data I provide in the "Discussion Topic" thread in the PR Group. In it you'll find the WIN% and SCORE values for each player. Compare those numbers with the various competitors and it will paint a much clearer picture of where players are really ranked. (e.g. Foos has a WIN% of 0.571 which is just 0.029 or less away from the people ranked 4 to 7).

I think the ranked by number method isn't that great. australia uses a tier system for their pr which I think is a more accurate way to represent a smash community.
This is actually incorporated into my rankings. You'll notice in the discussion thread (linked above) that I have spaces separating groups of players. You can assume the first grouping (Bird, keeper, and Jonny) are "A" rank, followed by the next group as "B" and so on.

Binx

Smash Master
K i've sent invites to Foos, Gage, Jesse, and Allen for the panel along with myself.

If everyone invited wishes to participate we should have our preliminary list done shortly after this months best bout.

Otherwise we will have to decide who else should be part of the panel who is active in the melee scene.

Ratking1234

Smash Ace
K i've sent invites to Foos, Gage, Jesse, and Allen for the panel along with myself.

If everyone invited wishes to participate we should have our preliminary list done shortly after this months best bout.

Otherwise we will have to decide who else should be part of the panel who is active in the melee scene.
Probably should inform Jesse he is on the panel some other way than through here. He is NEVER going to see this.

EDIT: Also, can I get some kinda roll call to see who is going to be at Best Bout pretty much for sure this month. It seems like WA wants to make the trip, but I want to make sure it is going to be a good turn out. Seems like half the time, it shapes up to be good, they come, and it was actually a total flop, and they are all sad about it. Just trying to make it a real banger.

EDIT: Otto says there are 7+ of them coming, in the Best Bout thread in Pac West tournaments. Please don't blow it, and lets actually all show up?

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I'd love to come to Best Bout this month - and dominate Brawl like last time - but alas, no ride.
Maybe one of these day's I'll actually enter a Melee tournament again. :D

FoosJr

Smash Ace
I'm going and I'll probably bring gary and possibly tyty if he shows interest in going I know he is hella ****in broke right now though.

Dawg

Smash Apprentice
Who are the dudes that play in Corvallis and when/where do they play? I been playing a bit more with my roommates and it'd be fun to play against some others. Reply here or send me a PM, I don't check back here too often but I'll try to remember to so that I can get in contact with some Corvallis peeps.

Ratking1234

Smash Ace
Who are the dudes that play in Corvallis and when/where do they play? I been playing a bit more with my roommates and it'd be fun to play against some others. Reply here or send me a PM, I don't check back here too often but I'll try to remember to so that I can get in contact with some Corvallis peeps.
**** yes, this is what I wanna see haha..

Tyler, if people don't respond, try to get a hold of AlienAllen, he should definitely know what's up.

JonnyW

Smash Ace
I'd love to come to Best Bout this month - and dominate Brawl like last time - but alas, no ride.
Maybe one of these day's I'll actually enter a Melee tournament again. :D
you should enter and go all Kirby. We need more Kirby in the bracket

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/224872027544762/

I was just down in corvallis this weekend smashing it up! If you had posted one day earlier I could have told you beforehand!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom