• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The new Roy Strategem discussion

Clouder_

Smash Cadet
i wanna avoid bragging but i just got to tell yall about this.

So my brother and i were playing some doubles on netplay, using Roy and Ness. As we were searching for someone to play against we met two guys who wanted to play against us. We said yes and started playing. At first my brother and i used PikaDorf and they beat us solidly. They used Fox and Falco. We played a few other games and they beat us solidly. We decided to play Roy and Ness. After awhile these guys got a little cocky. The last game we played they used Falcon and Falco and we used Ness and Roy. Their Falcon had one stock left. My brother decided to grab him under the platform on PS. He did a fthrow and threw him right into my upsmash, spiking him down to the shadow realm. POPOFFS

Last edited:

MurphyPrime

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if this has been addressed since I don't check through the Roy forums extensively, but does anyone use the sour spot hitbox of the downsmash to KO people? I've tried using it and the knock back it very horizontal, so you could gimp a fast faller.

Clouder_

Smash Cadet
I don't know if this has been addressed since I don't check through the Roy forums extensively, but does anyone use the sour spot hitbox of the downsmash to KO people? I've tried using it and the knock back it very horizontal, so you could gimp a fast faller.
i havent done it on purpose but yes, it is a sort of viable technique. Not sure tho.

MurphyPrime

Smash Journeyman
It would be cool to figure out a way to set up into it, I'm not sure how you could. It seems super unreliable but if you could figure out a sequence of moves that leads into it then it may be useful.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
D

Deleted member

Lol my games vs Thoraxe are super derpy, I just kind of play super mediocre. I wouldn't recommend watching those. My games vs. Didact and Arc are pretty good though, I'm surprised that I took a game from him

I think Roys usmash is actually really good, imo usmash is roys best followup after dtilt vs characters from like 0-20% since nair doesn't send very far and fair is negative on hit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Clouder_

Smash Cadet
Lol my games vs Thoraxe are super derpy, I just kind of play super mediocre. I wouldn't recommend watching those. My games vs. Didact and Arc are pretty good though, I'm surprised that I took a game from him

I think Roys usmash is actually really good, imo usmash is roys best followup after dtilt vs characters from like 0-20% since nair doesn't send very far and fair is negative on hit.
Random question, doesn't have anything with Roy, just out of curiosity, will you focus on melee now that pm doesn't get any updates and that the scene M I G H T start dying? Or will you continue with pm?

Btw you guys got twitter?

Last edited:

Clouder_

Smash Cadet
@Lunchables ... you're making UpSmash look so good lol.

The Uair combo into Upsmash on Arc's Marth was the sickest thing I've seen from a Roy in years.

Guys look at this guy go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oWqeMH0tE8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iywLpxuhlOs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLw0eligFZA

Very nice downtilt and upthrow mixups that I've literally never seen before. Maybe Amsah is actually right about Roy being extremely unexplored :) I need to get back to the lab.
About 3:03 uh... What. Fair 2 strong....?

D

Deleted member

Random question, doesn't have anything with Roy, just out of curiosity, will you focus on melee now that pm doesn't get any updates and that the scene M I G H T start dying? Or will you continue with pm?

Btw you guys got twitter?
Yeah I'm going to play more melee, I knew about the announcement a little while ago which is why I entered Melee this monday.

Also, which video are you referring to?

Clouder_

Smash Cadet
Yeah I'm going to play more melee, I knew about the announcement a little while ago which is why I entered Melee this monday.

Also, which video are you referring to?
http://youtu.be/8oWqeMH0tE8

Where you meet that fox player Didact at abou 3:02 where you fair him at 150%. In pal, he would have survived that lol. Ooooorrr, I just suck at sweetspotting Roy fair lol. I'm not very skilled xD

Last edited:

Clouder_

Smash Cadet
ayy! Really dont want to be that guy... but if ya guys would maybe look up 0luddekudde0 on twitch and give him a follow...? Its my older brother, and we stream a lot. So i would really appreicate it if anyone would just swing by once and give me some feedback and help me out. Sorry for advertising ;_;

Just really freaking desperate to get my Roy to da next level. To make my foes phear teh phir3. Got a tournament in January wich is why i want as much help as possible! Appreciate it!

Last edited:

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Gave him a follow, hope to see your Roy soon.

I'm going to try to go all Roy today at KTAR. Good chance I'll need DK for dumb matchups like Puff, Samus, and Falcon on FD.

Really want to use Roy vs this ICs player :3 I swear Roy wins this MU.

Clouder_

Smash Cadet

I'm going to try to go all Roy today at KTAR. Good chance I'll need DK for dumb matchups like Puff, Samus, and Falcon on FD.

Good luck and thx :]

MurphyPrime

Smash Journeyman
I fight my bro (who is an ICs main) with Roy sometimes and I agree, its not really that bad.

Kawaii-Kun

Smash Apprentice

I dunno about the ICs match-up, I win it more often than I do against Peaches, but once they get desyncs set up they're a pain in the arse.

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
Usmash is really good. On spacies/falcon, bad DI will make it combo into itself again or fsmash. I personally like to just repeatedly dtilt them though. I find it to be a little more consistent because of the janky spike hitbox in usmash sometimes sending people into a tech chase instead of the air.

Also the the spike hitbox is unreliable because upsmash has multiple hitboxes (5 i think). I think the spiking hitbox is the 3rd hitbox and all the others angle upwards.

Also @Lunchables, I really appreciated your Roy. It's got so much potential. You use moves that only the good Roy players use and don't just use the basic dtilt/DED stuff. How's the transition from PM to Melee?

D

Deleted member

Usmash is really good. On spacies/falcon, bad DI will make it combo into itself again or fsmash. I personally like to just repeatedly dtilt them though. I find it to be a little more consistent because of the janky spike hitbox in usmash sometimes sending people into a tech chase instead of the air.

Also the the spike hitbox is unreliable because upsmash has multiple hitboxes (5 i think). I think the spiking hitbox is the 3rd hitbox and all the others angle upwards.

Also @Lunchables, I really appreciated your Roy. It's got so much potential. You use moves that only the good Roy players use and don't just use the basic dtilt/DED stuff. How's the transition from PM to Melee?
The transition is weird. He has the same movement and conversions (Dtilt, Side B, grab), but nearly everything else is different. His punishment game revolves around calling out DI and landings instead of getting guaranteed combos, and his low KB moves mean I have to focus more on Grab and Side B since the Melee risk/reward on Dtilt is way worse for reward.

When it comes to punish game, I have to ask myself questions like:
  • Are they respecting my moves on hit or are they mashing out if they know they have frame advantage?
  • Can I counter their landing if they ARE mashing out?
  • Is the counter even worth it if I could just finish the combo early and get good positioning over a 50/50 to cover their landing?
  • Or could I possibly ASDI down their landing aerial due being at low %s and respond with a grab/smash attack/etc?
Things like these are really interesting because it demonstrates how much character specific knowledge you have to have with Roy. Although he's considered a very fundamentally solid character, it's really hard to just pick him up and play since you have to be incredibly precise and experienced with his low KB moves for them to work well. I feel like all of Roy's moves in Melee are bad on the surface, but they have their own specific purpose and deserve more credit than they're given. This differs a ton from PM Roy where everything kind of just... works.

There are also some other things in my gameplay that I still need to clean out due to playing PM such as using Dair OOS, challenging stuff with Up B when recovering, using Dtilt as a crutch instead of using Grab or Side B, pretending DED xxxV actually works, etc. I plan on attending MNM (my TX melee weekly) for a little while and seeing how well I do with Roy, I'm having a lot of fun with him atm and still feel like I have room to improve.

ty for the compliments <3

Clouder_

Smash Cadet

I think the spike hitbox is much more viable then most people think. Im pretty sure its out all the time except for the last hitbox, i might be wrong tho. I have found up air juggles to be effective to do on fox cpus into upsmash, sometimes spike. Sh up air, up air, if the fox dis away, you can basically sh up air him across the whole stage into any follow up. I dont remember what percentage you can do it.

Last edited:

Clouder_

Smash Cadet
Just went to my first weekly Melee hangout in my region! They where alot older than me and really good, but it was super fun! I beat all of the players (that i met) at least once! I even 4-stocked a Falco player! May not seem like a accomplishment, but they where so nice to me too. I thougt they would wreck me super hard, but it was suprisingly tight.

Now im super hype for my first melee tournament with price pool in January 3-6! I probably wont place even top 50, but hey, gotta try at least. Also leveling up my Yoshi so that i can use him against my worse mathcups. Especially Falco, Ganon and Marth(?). Tips againt Falco and Ganon very appreciated. Luckily for me, my brother plays Ganon, but i still suck against him lmao.

Last edited:

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Guys Lunchables has new vids, look up MNM 59 Melee. Watching him beat up Thoraxe's Luigi was pretty funny.

Clouder_ Clouder_ For Falco I don't think switching to Yoshi will help much / Roy does better. It's not favorable but I think it's semi doable. The Roy player needs really slick movement OOS and can never mess up punishing off dtilts and CGs. Note that Roy can do the Marth-ish stuff vs lasers. You can Jab, dash dance, and DED in between lasers; exploiting the low hitstun. Powershield is always a plus and not to hard with Roy. Vs Ganon, you have to play lame and dash dance camp. Roy can tech chase Ganon with forward throws for basically a full stock. Pretty much play like a 20GX Falcon. The matchup is pretty lame since he hits hard and can grab combo you no problem. For Marth, Yoshi is definitely better.

@Lunchables , did you go Marth, Roy, or both in Forte 3? I'm assuming you were DQ'd since you focused on PM?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Guys Lunchables has new vids, look up MNM 59 Melee. Watching him beat up Thoraxe's Luigi was pretty funny.

@Lunchables , did you go Marth, Roy, or both in Forte 3? I'm assuming you were DQ'd since you focused on PM?
1. lol he kept landing with aerials so I'd just counter them. I didn't think I was playing amazing that day, my Roy was mediocre that day

2. I went marth and roy, kind of did a mix between the two since everyone in TX/Dallas hates when I play roy lol. I played Twin with Roy and he just looked at me with confusion since he couldn't speak english, it was pretty funny.

You're right to assume I DQ'd to focus on PM, they had me running from different parts of the venue back and forth to play melee and pm so I just dropped

ᴠanilla

Smash Rookie
@Lunchables Hey, I was just wondering how often people actually tech the up-smash in your low percent d-tilt -> up-smash combo. Sometimes it sends people to the ground and I love no tech situations as Roy.

D

Deleted member

If there isn't a platform in the way, I can usually hit or grab them before the land. If there is a platform however, it just becomes any regular tech chase scenario where I waveland onto the platform and then go from there

No one really knows about Roy in my region so I get a lot of free ****, one of those being Fsmash vs. no techs lol

Clouder_

Smash Cadet
Dang. I'm so disappointed in my self. My first melee tourney went garbage. I did expect to drown in pool, but that was just.... Wow. I promise I can play better than that. I'm not good but the guys I can 4-stock on our weeklies destroyed me. Might link the matches to you guys later. Ugh. Oh well I got a lot of encouraging words so that was nice. And they were all nice to me. Hopefully I'm gonna wreck em next year. Ggs everyone! Was a lot of fun anyway :D

Btw. I need helt getting those dtilits. When i do i have no problem doing follow-ups, it's just the dtilits that's so hard to get. Any tips?

Last edited:

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
His nair actually is a useful move after bouncing your opponent up with dtilt

itsbme

Game on!
Slippi.gg
BME#828
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_Y0IDRcKqk

So I just started maining Roy. It's weird because I've only used Marth and Falcon seriously. Roy feels weird to use, but it's fun trying to get good. I've been on a long hiatus too so a lot I have to pick up again.

Also in the end of that match I misinputed so instead of counter, well, THAT happened. Hahha. I hope you all enjoy my terrible Roy. Hopefully it gets better soon.

(Yes, I'm serious about Roy. Fear)

Last edited:
Top Bottom