• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Match-up Chart

kys

Smash Ace
You might be a nerd if:

You spend time on an internet forum debating the best way to z-cancel aerial moves in a nintendo fighting game that's 13 years old.

kys

Smash Ace
Of course everyone here is a nerd. I'm a nerd. Nothing wrong with being a nerd. I embrace my nerdiness.

There is no point. I was just, you know, making a post. ***. You're the dude that always asks for the explanation to the joke and RUINS it.

Luv

TANK64

Smash Lord
^^lol

Please discuss his actual meaning, not a technicality.
You must be new here.

you aren't a good tactic
lol

you couldn't DJC nair through Yobolight...

...you know, with his parries and all.
lol

Also spamming is 2good.

Unless you R cancel, then you suck and play Link online and throw out random grabs left and right.

And then you mess up just the same on console and then realize you're just bad.

Poor Link.

#HardKnockLife

The Star King

Smash Hero
oth·er·wise
/əT-Hər-wīz/

Adverb
In circumstances different from those present or considered: "the collection brings visitors who might not come to the college otherwise".

Adjective
In a different state or situation: "if it were otherwise, we would be unable to acquire knowledge".

B Link

Smash Lord
Warning long post ahead :embarrass::

Sequence of discussion:

the star king said:
timing z is the best strat, rapid tapping it is for losers
B Link said:
rapid tapping is for kb players
the star king said:
my post seems to suggest otherwise...
B Link said:
what's 'otherwise'?
the star king said:
oth·er·wise
/əT-Hər-wīz/

Adverb
In circumstances different from those present or considered: "the collection brings visitors who might not come to the college otherwise".

Adjective
In a different state or situation: "if it were otherwise, we would be unable to acquire knowledge".
You can't respond with two different definitions: 'otherwise' as an adverb modifies a verb, 'otherwise' as an adjective modifies a noun.

Your sentence does not really use 'otherwise' in either of these two ways. Ironically, your use of 'otherwise' makes it more like a noun lol.

Your use of '(suggests) otherwise' means something more like: 'X is not correct (i.e. B Link's post), my post argues for Y.'

'suggests otherwise,' the way you use it, is more like an idiom/phrase that means: 'hints at/alludes to something contrary to what you argue for'

It would be similar to:
People think that climate change is solely caused by pollution, but research suggests otherwise (i.e. research hints at/alludes to something contrary to what those people argue for)

This idiom/phrase seems to most commonly come up in newspaper headlines, so it does not really have a dictionary definition yet, from what I can see (lol, oxford press better step up their GAME, or maybe you can e-mail them :p). That said, we can't really expect oxford dictionary to list all of the idioms/phrases in the world, so maybe we should cut them some slack cuz that would be too difficult haha.

Ok, now that 'otherwise' is clarified...

...did you mean:
1) My post argues that 'rapid tapping is NOT for kb players' (i.e. kb players do, in fact, use the 'time z' method)
OR
2) My post argues that 'rapid tapping is for LOSERS, (and since KB players aren't losers...)...rapid tapping can't be for all kb players'

^Since your post was ambiguous (i.e. has multiple, distinct meanings), I was unsure which one of the above two you meant, so I asked: "what's 'otherwise'?" which is to say, "which one of the above meanings did you intend to convey?"

Long post, but necessary I think.

rickyssb said:
I said it before, B Link is stupid.
My post suggests otherwise (jk I am stupid...sigh...)

The Star King

Smash Hero
What in the flying f***? And I thought I randomly take trivial things too far sometimes.

I meant that the fact that I'm a keyboard player (which I assumed you knew), coupled with the fact that my post shows that I prefer timing z, shows that rapid tapping is not "for kb players".

I just Googled "define: otherwise" BTW so don't scrutinize definition I posted so thoroughly, jeez

B Link

Smash Lord
Hey, hey, I didn't mean to criticize you. Just trying to get the story straight.

It's not trivial at all. Sometimes accuracy requires long expositions.

Anyway, looks like you meant #1, and I forgot to add the implied part about you having used a kb (I thought u switched to hori, so I wasn't sure if I should have included it)

If your conclusion is "rapid tapping is not for kb players," then do you mean all kb players or some? I'm guessing some?

If you don't feel like continuing the conversation, you don't need to reply. I really am just curious. Again, sometimes accuracy requires long expositions.

The Star King

Smash Hero
I know you didn't mean to criticize. I just thought it was funny how far you went for something so unimportant. And yes, it is pretty unimportant ;P

I meant some, or usually. Or basically only disagreeing with the implication of usually in your post. I think I'll go with the last one. Whatever.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
What in the flying f***? And I thought I randomly take trivial things too far sometimes.
And yet somehow I'm considered the argumentative one ...

People don't even remember that the whole determinism thing was caused by battlecow playing the "well it doesn't matter what you accomplish because it's all deterministic anyway" card when we were talking about whether people should be proud of their accomplishments. Talk about nitpicking.

The Star King

Smash Hero
You are though :troll: (but seriously)

Continuing is also part of being argumentative, and you never give up so yeah

Battlecow

Play to Win
And yet somehow I'm considered the argumentative one ...

People don't even remember that the whole determinism thing was caused by battlecow playing the "well it doesn't matter what you accomplish because it's all deterministic anyway" card when we were talking about whether people should be proud of their accomplishments. Talk about nitpicking.
I don't think that's a fair summarization of my argument

Yes I want to start this again

B Link

Smash Lord
I know you didn't mean to criticize. I just thought it was funny how far you went for something so unimportant. And yes, it is pretty unimportant ;P
Why do you think it is unimportant? I provided reasons as to why I think it is important (e.g. clarity)

I'm still not convinced that it wasn't important. I can't even think of any reasons why it would be unimportant, well maybe one: unless you think that anyone could have guessed at all the assumptions you were making in your post before you explicitly stated them.

the star king said:
I meant some, or usually.
I just played a bit using the timing z method; I dunno it feels awkward to me. I always remembered rapid tapping because that came most naturally to me, no matter what kb setup I used. Apparently Ricky does this method too?

The fact that you clarified which one shows that we agree with each other. You using the timing z method can definitely imply that some people should use the timing z method.

---

A side note: I'm trying to get to 1000 posts, I might post less frequently after that so enjoy it while you can.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
I don't think that's a fair summarization of my argument

Yes I want to start this again
I admittedly left out the part about how it all started with me saying "it doesn't make sense to be proud of things you didn't accomplish" when you were talking about being proud of your country of origin / innate intelligence / something like that. So I started it. But I don't think my summary of where it went from there is wrong.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
I rapid tap Z as Yoshi
When I use Falcon, I don't

I guess it' for DJC timings.

Ban Keyboard assisting

rpotts

Smash Lord
Why do you think it is unimportant? I provided reasons as to why I think it is important (e.g. clarity)

I'm still not convinced that it wasn't important. I can't even think of any reasons why it would be unimportant, well maybe one: unless you think that anyone could have guessed at all the assumptions you were making in your post before you explicitly stated them.

I just played a bit using the timing z method; I dunno it feels awkward to me. I always remembered rapid tapping because that came most naturally to me, no matter what kb setup I used. Apparently Ricky does this method too?

The fact that you clarified which one shows that we agree with each other. You using the timing z method can definitely imply that some people should use the timing z method.
I knew exactly what he meant without any additional effort. I would venture a guess that you're in the minority camp of "People who misundestood SK's post."

I don't see why you do anything other that time it correctly. Mashing invariably will cause accidental shield-blinking upon landing sometimes, plus it's a bad habit to get in if you also play Melee or PM (not particularly relevant, minor advantage.) Also it's just extra effort and inputs for no apparent reason. Mashing in other situations makes sense if there's something to be gained, such as mashing during a combo trying to have a nair/upb/jump or something come out as soon as you're out of hitstun or as soon as your lag ends or whatever.

rpotts

Smash Lord
Project M has L canceling and pretty much every other Melee tech skill.

Why does purposefully adding in L canceling surprise you?

:phone:

asianaussie

Smash Hero
he's just mad they would add in an unnecessary techskill barrier just to keep true to what they think smash bros games should all have

i sorta agree with him, but at the same time i don't care too much since i have the instinct instilled

Izuhu

Smash Journeyman
lol but why did you guys think that they weren't gonna add melee tech skill in the first place when the primary purpose of Project M was get the mechanics and gameplay to feel as close to Melee as possible.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
here's the condensed version

L-cancelling adds nothing to the game except a barrier of entry and getting rid of it would not harm the game one iota AND make it more accessible

project M, however, is targeted at a very specific subset: people who want a melee-like game and not brawl - melee players who already have the ingrained techskill, which is why i dont think it matters at all in this case and ballin is just raising a ruckus over nothing

asianaussie

Smash Hero
L-cancelling is Z-cancelling

The argument against Z-cancelling is that there are so few reasons not to Z-cancel that you could remove the technique, treat every landed aerial as z-cancelled and any high-level match would look the same. Basically, it just puts an unnecessary button press after every landing that merely offers opportunity for punishment which is neither earnt nor deserved by the opposing player, something that goes against the fundamental basis of fighting (and competitive) games.

It also raises the bar for entry into the competitive scene (of melee), which is obviously detrimental to a game's competitive community growth. You could argue that this shuts out 'casuals' and leaves only dedicated players in the scene, but I think that's elitist and silly - actual competition would weed out casuals regardless and even force them to focus on more than just training mode sequences (gasp).

asianaussie

Smash Hero
you know im on the same side as you, right hun?

casual players can play whatever game they want at their own pace, it's not like people flocked to brawl over melee because they thought it had better mechanics and competitive worth

Battlecow

Play to Win
I mean the real reason they kept it is that the one thing brawl did right was to get rid of it, and they can't untangle that in their minds from all of the ****ty things brawl did.

Top Bottom