• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The name of the game is 3 stock.

Xanderous

Smash Lord
After playing for a while on four-stock, it's just way too long. It takes a good 6 minutes on average, sometimes upward of 8. With the improved DI and recoveries, characters aren't going to die as quickly.

I propose we change the "rules" to 3-stock, because it's a much more manageable amount of time (around 4 to 5 minutes) and will eventually make tournaments move along faster.

If you don't play in tournaments, this doesn't apply to you, so please don't reply.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Most of the vids I've seen have been 3 stocks.

Tonb3rry

Smash Ace
The only negative thing about it, is that SDs is more painful, as you got one stock less.
But I see your point =/

I.T.P

Smash Ace
I'd actually thought of going as far down as 2 stock, I've seen 3 stock matches go 6-7 minutes. it's that crazy.

but I think we'll end up going for 3 stock, at least in our community in israel

Joshua368

Smash Apprentice
I've always done 3 stock, so yay for me!

But what about the eight minute time limit? Is it still safe to assume no one will reach that without stalling techniques?

darkNES386

Smash Lord
3 stock, 7 minutes is good

is that tournament rules now? or just our rules?
Any tournament rules have not been made yet. Most players are still too busy trying to get into their new shoes with this game. I'm sure by the time it comes out in North America, there will be some strong opinions with support about any "official" rulesets.

EDIT: yes, double post... not intentional

darkNES386

Smash Lord
The new game design is such that spamming/repeating the same group of moves in a short period of time are less effective. This may sound like old news, but not only is percent weaker with each similar attack... but KNOCKBACK. What does this mean? Players that utilize as many moves as they can with a given character will be able to knock out an opponent faster than someone who depends on a single group of moves. Using a smash attack too soon could possibly be a major concern now.

Yes... characters can live longer now, but I bet you'd be surprised at how some players will be able to utilize the above information to their advantage.

For more information check out this:

Source: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=141977

Robble

Smash Cadet
The only negative thing about it, is that SDs is more painful, as you got one stock less.
But I see your point =/
From what I've seen, as long as you aren't being particularly greedy in your edge-guarding it's significantly harder to SD in this game. I've seen things like Metaknight players accidentally loop their glide under the stage and die, but then... the game has been out for like 6 days. Since accidental air dodges off the edge of the stage won't interfere with your recovery SD's are going to be more likely a serious mistake of judgement rather than an accidental mis-press of buttons. That means you probably deserved to die.

Vegeta214

Smash Apprentice
My crew (Team DeathSpike) and I agree that 4 stock matches take too long in Brawl. 3 Stock seems best. We've been using 8 minutes stock match time limit. Time will tell if 8 minutes are appropriate.

Also SDs are definitely less common. My only concern are characters like Fox (or the new Bowser) who can gimp.

DragonBlade

Smash Journeyman
According to the real Latin lyrics in the opening theme:

"tres mendo fratri!" (1:32 - 1:39)

("I surrender my three lives to my brothers!")

would suggest in Brawl you should give your 3 lives to you the person on your team. This would imply that you would need 4 stocks and be playing 2v2. This is obviously the ideal setting for Brawl. Of course there will be times when there aren't 4 people, so 4 stocks in 1v1 will be the next best thing.

Also, I think people will die faster as people actually learn to play their characters.

Rang Flash

Smash Journeyman
But I see your point =/
But SD's now are way less common due to everyone's insane recovery, and now that you can't kill yourself by airdodging off the edge.

Ike_Freak

Smash Rookie
I like 3.

As darkNES386 said before, spamming attacks lessens knockback and damge. Once its in NA for a while
people, will start getting good. (less spamming) Which means shorter matchs. 3 For now is good but maybe 4 later on in the year.

Kruton

Smash Ace
But I see your point =/
Seriously, if you manage to SD in this game, omg you deserve the disadvantage (exception with Snake, because he can blow himself up three different ways).

Yeah, I think that's how we are going to roll things at TGP (three stocks). Four stock matches at this point are tedious...

Night Avenger

Smash Journeyman
I've always fought and I believe will fight too with 5 stock. It just makes for long, cool battles. XD I like them like that.

Night Avenger

Smash Journeyman
Wait, we're talking about tournaments? Oh then I should stick to your rules... But with friends and my brothers, that's my ideal match.

Card

Smash Lord
Woa there... hold on. You guys are jumping to conclusions WAY too quickly.

We have BARELY cracked the surface of this game. Already with the discovery of the Diminishing Returns on attacks (http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=141977). People have had the game for a little over a week, there is no way you can decide already how many stocks are going to be used in Tournaments. You also CANNOT decide this early that 4 stock matches last too long.

Did you ever stop to wonder that maybe it's taking so long for you to kill someone because of the Diminishing Returns on your K.O moves? Ever since hearing about the Diminishing Returns on attacks, I have been playing more intelligently and saving my K.O moves til near the 100% mark, and I am getting K.O's at around the same percentages as in Melee.

Another thing worth noting, exactly WHAT is wrong with matches lasting 6-8 minutes long? Am I not mistaken that we give our current Melee matches an 8-minute time limit. 8-minute matches should be enough to complete an entire tournament within a day.

The more this game is played, the more will be discovered. 7 days after release is way too soon to be calling how many stocks are proper.

Arteen

Smash Lord
I agree with Card, not to mention that fact that only a very small minority of players (tournament-goers or otherwise) actually have the game. I suggest that you stop trying to decide how to play the game before you learn how to play the game, in a manner of speaking.

Kruton

Smash Ace
Woa there... hold on.
Another thing worth noting, exactly WHAT is wrong with matches lasting 6-8 minutes long? Am I not mistaken that we give our current Melee matches an 8-minute time limit. 8-minute matches should be enough to complete an entire tournament within a day.
I'll tell you what's wrong with 6-8 minute Brawl matches. Starting a tournament at 6PM, and having to leave at 11:00 before the loser's bracket has hardly started, and the winner's bracket still has two matchups to go.

And I'm not jumping to conclusions. I'm just saying that with the overall metagame with Brawl RIGHT NOW, four stock matches are taking too long. Two weeks from now? A month from now? Well, maybe we will be better at the game by then, but RIGHT NOW, tournaments with four stocks are too long, too much of a hassle, not fun for everyone, and too long (need I say it more).

Once it's noticeable that 3 stock matches are taking two minutes, then yeah, bump up the stockage. But right now, a lot of people want to play the game, and to have 1v1 matches hogging 6-8 minutes at a time, it isn't fair.

DeadtoSin

Smash Apprentice
After watching a lot of the videos and seeing these guys play, my concern isn't really for myself or most people on these forums. A lot of players don't play with quite that much speed, so Brawl is really going to turn into a...erm.. brawl for them. For some reason a lot of my friends like to play 10 stock with no time limit. I didn't understand it in Melee, and I certainly hope my friends tone it down a bit with Brawl.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
After watching a lot of the videos and seeing these guys play, my concern isn't really for myself or most people on these forums. A lot of players don't play with quite that much speed, so Brawl is really going to turn into a...erm.. brawl for them. For some reason a lot of my friends like to play 10 stock with no time limit. I didn't understand it in Melee, and I certainly hope my friends tone it down a bit with Brawl.
10 stocks? O.O

I like fighting and all, but even in Melee that's a little much. Or it would be for a one on one at least. I played with 3 stocks in Melee anyway.

nviv

Smash Cadet
I have to agree that three stock is a good idea with the game the way it is now. Hopefully as the game evolves it can be extended but I have seen some three stock matches last more than eight minutes Which with a good camper in a tourney four stock matches would go to the time limit nearly every time. I think three stock with a 7 or 8 minute time limit is the best option.

DeadtoSin

Smash Apprentice
Well, it gets worse. They played 4 player (most of the time as Falco and Link), Hyrule Temple, 10 stock, no time limit, items on very high.

I still whooped them...but lets just say my friends are complete item whores. I can't wait for Brawl so I can actually meet up with some of you guys and get decent so I can compete in tournaments. I'll probably be watching a lot of videos on Brawl too.

Anyway, 3 stock looked pretty nice in Brawl from what I saw. In fact on Final Destination the videos were just long enough to look like an epic battle, without losing any of my non-gamer friend's interests.

Kruton

Smash Ace
I have to agree that three stock is a good idea with the game the way it is now. Hopefully as the game evolves it can be extended but I have seen some three stock matches last more than eight minutes Which with a good camper in a tourney four stock matches would go to the time limit nearly every time. I think three stock with a 7 or 8 minute time limit is the best option.

Three stock, 8 min. = win.

Top Bottom