• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The N64 Hori controller

Indefa

Smash Apprentice
So I have had some very bad luck with purchasing hori controllers off of ebay.

My first hori would initially cause me to jump while falling through platforms.
(You will probably see why when you watch the video)
However I took it apart and fiddled with the connection a bit and now every direction is fine expect for upwards which moves a bit slower than every other direction
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA2B06MKHq8&list=UUUfXYTDPhOucrluQPRTJ06A

My second hori seemingly works fine but the stick feels..soft. I've had other people with horis tell me that it seems to have a little less resistance than a normal one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTZ4sBo0l70&list=UUUfXYTDPhOucrluQPRTJ06A

The left one is first hori stick. (serial says 1057A25 Ver.1.0)
The right is the second. (serial says 1057B25 and doesn't have a version number)

So my question is does anyone have a source with more information about the inner workings of the hori sticks? I'd very much like to save myself another $80 :/

Last edited:

T Brett

Smash Journeyman
I ordered one and the stick was f***ed too. Any home remedies to fix it? Maybe resolder or something?

Indefa

Smash Apprentice
I've seen both versions
I like the one on the right better
What is normally the difference between the two in terms of how they feel? I imagine it's not normally the big difference you can visually see in the videos I linked.

I ordered one and the stick was f***ed too. Any home remedies to fix it? Maybe resolder or something?
This would be nice lol

Firehyphen

Can wavedash in Sm4sh.
NNID
Firehyphen
I never had a problem buying hori's. I bought 2 in my lifetime. Sucks yours messed up. Maybe try to resolder

jimmyjoe

Filthy Hori
Premium
I've fixed a hori with a messed up stick before by putting a gamecube stick in it, but it required some modification and failed the same way the original failed. might be an electrical issue with some Horis. Are you going to APEX?

Indefa

Smash Apprentice
I've fixed a hori with a messed up stick before by putting a gamecube stick in it, but it required some modification and failed the same way the original failed. might be an electrical issue with some Horis. Are you going to APEX?
I wish I was going to Apex but I can't spare the money to fly all the way from Aus :/

I also realize that I might not have been super clear in part of the OP so I'll just re type what I meant.

The first stick is now less responsive when pushing up in game but seems to be fine with every other direction.

Windjammer

Smash Rookie
Why don't you try finding a replacement joystick box that will fit in there? It's very likely something is wrong with the potentiometers. I did a Lodgenet controller conversion recently, and the Lodgenets use the exact same joystick box as found in the Hori Pads. During my conversion I dropped in a replacement box that fit quite well in the Lodgenet. I used a Digikey joystick box that was recommended to me (252A103B60NA-ND). It's not a perfect fit, but you can make it work. In the Lodgenet's case, the OEM thumbstick fit much better on the replacement box (the original is kind of loose). I opened up my Hori controller to see if the OEM Hori thumbstick would fit with this replacement too, but it turns out of the Hori's thumbstick is a noticely tighter fit than the Lodgenet's. I could still push it down if I really wanted to, but it's definitely tighter than it needs to be. I'm sure it could be made to work, though. Anyway, I would definitely try to replace the joystick box and see if that resolves your issue. It's a lot cheaper method to try as well.

Indefa

Smash Apprentice
Why don't you try finding a replacement joystick box that will fit in there? It's very likely something is wrong with the potentiometers. I did a Lodgenet controller conversion recently, and the Lodgenets use the exact same joystick box as found in the Hori Pads. During my conversion I dropped in a replacement box that fit quite well in the Lodgenet. I used a Digikey joystick box that was recommended to me (252A103B60NA-ND). It's not a perfect fit, but you can make it work. In the Lodgenet's case, the OEM thumbstick fit much better on the replacement box (the original is kind of loose). I opened up my Hori controller to see if the OEM Hori thumbstick would fit with this replacement too, but it turns out of the Hori's thumbstick is a noticely tighter fit than the Lodgenet's. I could still push it down if I really wanted to, but it's definitely tighter than it needs to be. I'm sure it could be made to work, though. Anyway, I would definitely try to replace the joystick box and see if that resolves your issue. It's a lot cheaper method to try as well.
This sounds like a decent idea except I assume you mean purchase the potentiometer itself and solder to the hori board? I've never soldered anything before :/ although I'm sure it's not incredibly hard with something like this.

Or did you mean purchase a Lodgenet controller and just swap the sticks over? cos they are extremely expensive to shop to Australia for some weird reason...like $40+ just for shipping.

Last edited:

Windjammer

Smash Rookie
This sounds like a decent idea except I assume you mean purchase the potentiometer itself and solder to the hori board? I've never soldered anything before :/ although I'm sure it's not incredibly hard with something like this.

Or did you mean purchase a Lodgenet controller and just swap the sticks over? cos they are extremely expensive to shop to Australia for some weird reason...like $40+ just for shipping.
Yeah, I meant it would be best to find a suitable replacement joystick box. I only referenced the Lodgenet controller because it just so happens to use the same joystick box and even has a Hori chipset. Some basic soldering skills would be required, but it's the most sensible approach, unless you'd rather buy another $60+ controller.

Where do you buy those? I mean, individually? The minumum order is 200 on their site lol. Also, looks like they're discontinuing that particular part soon: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/0/252A103B60NA-ND/303390

edit: spelling
I bought three of those joystick boxes about two months ago. That's too bad they are now being decommissioned, and likely the reason they can't be ordered in smaller quantities from Digikey.

Top Bottom