• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Modernization of Smash?

Vertiboy

Smash Cadet
I can't help but notice that a lot of the stages from Brawl are from fairly recent games. Just take a look at the list.

Delphino Plaza - Super Mario Sunshine (2002)/ Latest 3D Mario platformer released

Bridge of Eldin - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (2006)/ Latest Zelda game released

Rumble Falls - Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat (2005)

Castle Stages - Allegedly from Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (2005)

Out of all of the characters we know about, a lot of them have newer looks compared to older looks that could have been used.

Wario - Wario Ware, Inc.: Mega Micro Games (2003)

Zero Suit Samus - Metroid Zero Mission (2004)

Link and Zelda - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (2006)

Samus - Metroid Prime (2002)

Maybe I am looking into this too much, or maybe Brawl will have a more modern feel than its prodecessors. It makes me wonder what other kinds of modern stages, costumes, and characters will appear on this game. We have a Ridley fight song. Perhaps the Artifact Site from Metroid Prime, where Samus fights Meta Ridely, will make an appearance. Of course, Wario will probably have a Wario Ware, Inc. stage. Anyone else have any modern ideas for Brawl? Do you think that I am crazy for noticing all of the recent stages and costumes that are in Brawl? I'll let you guys decide.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Well why wouldn't it? It'll attract newer gamers that have only played those games that way.

I'm sure there'll be many stages from classic games as well. They just can't leave out the classic Mushroom Kingdom stages!

Wii4Mii 99

Smash Lord
Super Mario Sunshine isn't the latest Mario platformer. Super Mario Galaxy is.

Of course everything from Brawl will be from recent games.

Until wii meet again,
Wii4Mii 99

joepinion

Smash Apprentice
Well, I wouldn't exactly call Pit modern.

It is interesting though that whenever they have an option, they're going with newer stuff.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Super Mario Sunshine isn't the latest Mario platformer. Super Mario Galaxy is.

Of course everything from Brawl will be from recent games.

Until wii meet again,
Wii4Mii 99
Notice how the topic creator said most recent Mario Platformer released?

Wii4Mii 99

Smash Lord
I didn't know Super Mario Galaxy wasn't released yet. I gotta get out more...

Until wii meet again,
Wii4Mii 99

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Actually, it's more common belief that the castle is actually from Fire Emblem 3.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Zelda look the same excep with brown hair
Actually she looks a lot like her TP version, just without the sword. It's more then her hair, she just looks "darker" in general.

Card

Smash Lord
I can't help but notice that a lot of the stages from Brawl are from fairly recent games. Just take a look at the list.

Delphino Plaza - Super Mario Sunshine (2002)/ Latest 3D Mario platformer released

Bridge of Eldin - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (2006)/ Latest Zelda game released

Rumble Falls - Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat (2005)

Castle Stages - Allegedly from Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (2005)

Out of all of the characters we know about, a lot of them have newer looks compared to older looks that could have been used.

Wario - Wario Ware, Inc.: Mega Micro Games (2003)

Zero Suit Samus - Metroid Zero Mission (2004)

Link and Zelda - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (2006)

Samus - Metroid Prime (2002)

Pit - Kid Icarus (1987)

Hmmmmm....

Vertiboy

Smash Cadet
Well, as Joepinion said, whenever they have a choice they go with something modern. Obviously, with Pit, who hasn't been in a new game since 1991 (Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters), it would be hard to find a modern stage.

I also agree with Andrew14j that older themed stages will probably appear. It wouldn't be a Smash Bros. game without an 8-bit Mushroom Kingdom stage.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
Mario's moveset is largely from Super Mario 64 (1996) and Super Mario World (1991?). Just for example.

Tabris-

Smash Apprentice
Actually she looks a lot like her TP version, just without the sword. It's more then her hair, she just looks "darker" in general.
I thought it was a given that Zelda in Brawl was the TP incarnation.

Joshua368

Smash Apprentice
Hey, Super Smash Bros. Melee characters had modernized looks at well. Just back then it was all on the N64.

XenoGuard

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, you gotta remember, SSBM was made before the gamecube era even started, all it's aspects relyed on all the games that were released before it. So it's a welcome that most of what brawl will have, besides new places that we know, are the addition of gamecube and DS games and what not

Firebird_TA

Smash Rookie
I'm quite sure they will also include classis stages, items, and probably even costumes for the characters in the game. They did that in Melee as well, and as people said before me, that game used a lot of the stages and character looks from the games that were recent at that time (the N64 ones.) Nintendo wouldn't leave out their long-term supporters, it's nothing like them to do that ;)

TheSpindoctor

Smash Journeyman
I guess you are right, but why complain about it?
The characters are matching the newest game that they are in. Whats wrong with that?

I much MUCH prefer this link then the 64 link, i mean, he looks fricken sweet!

So does zelda and DK, they all look better.

So yes, this game is getting "modernized" but only for the better i think.

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
I think they are mixing it up. Pit HAD to be modernized since he can't be running around in 8bit right?

Mario has to have his classic stages since they were the pinnacle of his gaming time.

Though the newer games have to have some new stages so it is recognized. And show that the developing team is trying new things and making this the best game they have made to date.

Limey

Smash Fan
BRoomer
Of coruse it's modern, it dosn't make sense to use older character models. Obviously there's gonna be stages from retro and older games, and there'll almost certainly be items from Nintendo's past (as well a character or two), but again, what's the point of using an old character design?

A stupid example i can think of is if you had a recent family photo, you're all gonna look as you did when the photo was taken. You wouldn't want to look 6 years old, would you? Same with Brawl. All the characters are looking like they do now, from their most recent games.

XenoGuard

Smash Journeyman
Just to let you know that Galaxy launches before Brawl does, so at release, Delfino plaza will be from a past game

:p
If thats true we woln't know till Dec 3rd that it will be implimented EVEN though galaxy comes out before brawl

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
Did anyone noticed how in the first trailer we got, Link's appearance DRASTICALLY changes?

He goes from bright and cartoony to pale and realistic.
I laughed so hard when I watched it. His face looks to small and to "real" . But when you're not looking at him that close up, he looks alright.

Now ON TOPIC...
Well, they're obviously going to modernize everything if it's a new game. But like in Melee, they'll still have past stages, because everyone likes a casual game with some friends on a past stage.

Primetime84

Smash Cadet
Well as the Smash games go on, we see probably less and less from older games. Nintendo knows hardcore fans would freak if we got a Duck Hunt Stage, old Kirby Boards, Sonic Boards, or nethin else from past GEN's, but newer fans don't buy the game for nostaglia. That's why the game is being made now, so we can fight wid new characters!!!!! If they wanted 2 make a game like this for SNES it wouldn't have worked, they needed more characters and more established franchises. I'm not a hardcore fan, so I don't know any of the Zelda stuff going on, the Samus stuff added, and ofcourse didn't know any of the Fire Emblem stuff. But G&W was a welcome addition b/c of nastalgic purposes. Pit doesn't look like he did on NES nor did Ice Climbers that's why in Ice Climber's case apparently not alot of ppl liked em. (IMO opinion Ice Climbers were an awesome addition even if I didn't now about them before) But I myself go for nostaglia that's why i guess I still want to see IC back, Earthworm Jim, old Super Mario Bros. boards, and defffff G&W back!!!!!

MzNetta

Oh no she betta don't
NNID
ParisNicholson
3DS FC
4940-5470-2081
Sequels need to seem 'modern' compared to their precessors, otherwise they might as well not make a sequal at all.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
This does pose some interesting possibilities for our dear princess, Peach. Since SPP is her newest starring role, let alone her first, it seems logical that her moveset would get a touch-up to reflect her new abilities and partners, namely Parry (replacing Toad!). =)

Top Bottom