• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The MKGD: The rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated

warionumbah2

Smash Master
If this matters, I'd just invite the characters with active boards. Like:
:4myfriends::4falco::4greninja::4shulk::rosalina::4marth:
There's not alot of Ike mains so i wouldn't go for him so soon imo. Although he's clearly the best FE character.

Why Falco?

Greninja i have no idea about and it seems to be the same on their side since non of them said anything about MK. I say we skip him.

Shulk is the same as Ninja, but they haven't covered our MU.

Top tier and its great to get out on how well MK does against her since she dominates so many characters.

Marth boards just finished the MK MU already.

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
@ warionumbah2 warionumbah2 @ Trunks159 Trunks159

I was focusing on active boards at first but it seemed like people wanted to talk about Falcon and I didn't want the Diddy to go too long without a discussion even if it's only in-house.

I've stated in the past that I would like to get the :rosalina: MU out there and public since I think it's MK's best high-tier MU. Bopping Rosalina is a huge selling point for MK as a secondary consideration since Rosalina invalidates some characters in the same way Dedede did so in Brawl.

I know a LOT about the :4greninja: MU compared to most people due to Kentucky being home to a few and one of the best Frogs period imo: KERO. I mean this was the tourney I was at satuday: http://smashboards.com/rankings/bourbon-state-smash-1.5050/event I play against Greninja frequently enough.

I also know a lot about :4rob: due to my boy Mister Eric, best ROB in the Mid-West.

:4ness: wouldn't be a bad character to discuss either since they're a very active board too. I couild see the MU giving new MKs trouble too since MK wins this match-up with patience more than anything else. Same goes for :4fox:&:4lucario: honestly. They're not bad MUs but they require a lot of patience.

:4yoshi: is a character I think we're at a disadvantage against, but I'm not sure how active the Yoshi board is atm.

It's whatever you guys feel like you want to talk about. I've been busy with mid-terms for the past week which is why I've been a bit MIA so I'm not sure when I'll get the time to chime in but I'll try to have another MU thread ready by tomorrow. I've got a bi-weekly tourney to go to tonight but I'll keep checking back to see what we all want to discuss.

D

Deleted member

My vote goes to Rosalina for this week. Looking forward to reading up on why MK does so well against her if we do end up picking her this week.

Superbat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Superbat3
My man unkn0wn is currently representing metaknight in vgbootcamp's custom stream. Fighting a DK with the Dong Cyclone too but he 's doing very well. He beat the kong. Also check out his recent vgbcbootcamp videos of his match between sonic main sonic and his metaknight. He didn't really do any camping but he still managed to get the winner of that xanadu to a last kill hit takes it all scenario without camping on battlefield platforms. Seagull probably knew the matchup because their last stage was FD. Cant post the the link because I'm still a scrub and don't have ten posts.

Last edited:

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
So many new people! That's great!
I say we cover the Rosalina MU first. It'll be good advertisement for MK, and I believe we have a lot of info on how to KO Luma.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Lol advertisement. "I'll be bigger than Wall-Mart" - Kanye West

But its true if any character can beat a top tier people will flock over and probably wanna use him, it will also pimp slap people that say he's low/mid tier(which is alot in or out of the boards).

I have this feeling MK will be re slept on in the custom meta, look how long it took for people to actually look at his pros instead of the cons. Same thing will happen since people gonna overhype loads of characters and then Mewtwo is coming home.

I won't be using Mew2 outside of training, would rather stick with MK and gain exp on Mew2. Theorycraft wise i think MK beats him, he's going to most likely be a tall and light character.

My vote goes to Rosalina. The Greninja discussion will be dead since Kata is the only MK i know that has experience against good Greninjas then Greninja mains don't know much about MK outside theorycraft, that's why i think we should skip it. I'd rather do Lucario as well, played a good one and he thinks MK goes even with him so long as he plays his mid range game effectively.

My man unkn0wn is currently representing metaknight in vgbootcamp's custom stream. Fighting a DK with the Dong Cyclone too but he 's doing very well. He beat the kong.
@ W.A.C. W.A.C. Low tier yeah. (~.~ )

Last edited:

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
If Rosalina becomes this week's matchup, how to deal with her custom moves should also be part of the discussion because she benefits enormously from custom moves. Greninja might be a better choice for this week largely because I've heard his customs aren't very good.

@ warionumbah2 warionumbah2 While Donkey Kong is considerably better with custom moves, he'll always be combo food for Meta Knight because of his enormous size. A lot of other neglected characters (such as Palutena, ROB, and Dr. Mario) improve vastly with custom moves and can kill at considerably lower percentages, which hurts Meta Knight badly because he's so light and can struggle at killing with any move that isn't up special. I think you're blowing my "low tier" comment out of proportion because my definition of low tier is different from a lot of other people. Characters tend to kill earlier with custom moves and I haven't really seen any examples that show how his customs benefit him in that way. Though if a MK player decided to go with an enormous risk/huge payoff, I could see someone using HSD off a stage to get a kill.

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Dr mario is still bad unlike his plumber self, he cannot punish say for example a drifting MK in tornado cause he's slow af. Then there's other factors but overall MK is fighting a slower,, no disjointed, short range character who gains no significant buffs that counter MK.

Well if MK suddenly gets sent to low tier for not so good reasons I will quote on quote blow it out of proportion. Oh well idc anymore.

I look back a few pages and the player base risen by quite a bit, welcome new members!

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
Dr. Mario was probably not the best example, but holy **** are Palutena and ROB amazing with customs. ROB probably has one of the best recoveries in the game with custom moves and Palutina's air game is insane with lightweight and super speed.

Last edited:

Superbat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Superbat3
The donkey kong put "BOSS" best luigi in ssb4 probably, at losers bracket. Don't be sleeping on customs dong. Don't disagree about him being combo food but he's still a threat. cyclone kills us really easily.

@ warionumbah2 warionumbah2 ***

Last edited:

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
Also be weary of abusing down special around DK as his can send you free fall state away from the stage with his custom up special.

Trunks159

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Trunks159
Dr mario is still bad unlike his plumber self, he cannot punish say for example a drifting MK in tornado cause he's slow af. Then there's other factors but overall MK is fighting a slower,, no disjointed, short range character who gains no significant buffs that counter MK.

Well if MK suddenly gets sent to low tier for not so good reasons I will quote on quote blow it out of proportion. Oh well idc anymore.

I look back a few pages and the player base risen by quite a bit, welcome new members!
Hey, the lower hes ranked, the less people will play him, which means it will be easier for us to win against an unprepared opponent. Picking Diddy though takes some courage since
A. Everyone is prepared to face him
B. You're bound to run into a few Diddy's along the way.

MK shouldn't ever really run into himself, and people will surely be unprepared.
Think like how Salem's Zero Suit won Apex 2013.

Superbat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Superbat3
Guys, how well or bad does MK do against Little Mac? I'm a bit curious.
MK shrekts' little mac really hard. Pretty much any well spaced aerial will destroy him. Make Lil Mac approach you since his approach options are his dash speed pretty much. If he has KO PUNCH roll like crazy since our roll is godlike. I just go for a timed simple fast fall nair. People think Metaknight is Lil Mac's worst matchup.
TL;DR we destroy him

Last edited:

skiboots

Smash Cadet
NNID
skiboots
@ warionumbah2 warionumbah2 @ Trunks159 Trunks159

I was focusing on active boards at first but it seemed like people wanted to talk about Falcon and I didn't want the Diddy to go too long without a discussion even if it's only in-house.

I've stated in the past that I would like to get the :rosalina: MU out there and public since I think it's MK's best high-tier MU. Bopping Rosalina is a huge selling point for MK as a secondary consideration since Rosalina invalidates some characters in the same way Dedede did so in Brawl.

I know a LOT about the :4greninja: MU compared to most people due to Kentucky being home to a few and one of the best Frogs period imo: KERO. I mean this was the tourney I was at satuday: http://smashboards.com/rankings/bourbon-state-smash-1.5050/event I play against Greninja frequently enough.

I also know a lot about :4rob: due to my boy Mister Eric, best ROB in the Mid-West.

:4ness: wouldn't be a bad character to discuss either since they're a very active board too. I couild see the MU giving new MKs trouble too since MK wins this match-up with patience more than anything else. Same goes for :4fox:&:4lucario: honestly. They're not bad MUs but they require a lot of patience.

:4yoshi: is a character I think we're at a disadvantage against, but I'm not sure how active the Yoshi board is atm.

It's whatever you guys feel like you want to talk about. I've been busy with mid-terms for the past week which is why I've been a bit MIA so I'm not sure when I'll get the time to chime in but I'll try to have another MU thread ready by tomorrow. I've got a bi-weekly tourney to go to tonight but I'll keep checking back to see what we all want to discuss.
I heard that Skiboots guy has best Pika Midwest.

I heard that Skiboots guy has best Pika SDs Midwest.

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
I heard that Skiboots guy has best Pika Midwest.

I heard that Skiboots guy has best Pika SDs Midwest.
Last I heard, Skiboots has the best award-winning combos in all of E-Sports.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Guys, i think we need to use Ftilt 1 and 2 against characters with short range and no disjoints or against speedy characters that love to dash at us.

Pivot Ftilt 1 and 2 + Walk Ftilt 1 and 2 = Stuff approaches and its safe on shield

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
You are vengeance. You are the night. You are Meta Knight!

Hello, Meta Knights, the Falco boards started their Meta Knight matchup discussion and would love to learn more about how the dynamic duo fights each other. Link to thread: http://smashboards.com/threads/ssb4...sion-19-meta-knight-batpuff-breadwing.395735/.

Edit: Forgot the mention the discussion is ongoing, so drop in whenever you feel like it and whenever you feel like something new works with the MU.

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Guys, i think we need to use Ftilt 1 and 2 against characters with short range and no disjoints or against speedy characters that love to dash at us.

Pivot Ftilt 1 and 2 + Walk Ftilt 1 and 2 = Stuff approaches and its safe on shield
Dtilt is WAY better for that.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Dtilt whiffs some characters , I've been whiffing this move lately

:4diddy:whiffs his smashes, especially his forward and up smash
:rosalina:she floats above the ground
:4pit::4darkpit:up smash

dtilt cannot sponge approaches from say falcon for exqmple, it comes out and ends too fast and the range is poor. Ftilt 1and 2 stays out longer and the 2nd hit actually has good range, it can also beat characters aerials due to this range unlike dtilt thats always close to the ground.

Dtilt is good against characters that lack 3 frame moves and to set up your kill moves.

LostinpinK

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ailkah
I'd also like to add that you can't dtilt :4diddy: when he's going for a dashgrab because he has this tiny jump before he grabs...

We're lucky enough to have very few :4diddy: in France, so I haven't experienced the MU since I main MK but... It's horrible. The guy I was playing was a really bad, basic DDK, but I still felt helpless. I'm gonna stick with :4dedede:for now if I face :4diddy:, it's 40-60 but it feels way better than MK's MU.
Do some of you keep :4metaknight: for this MU? I have a lot of room for improvements with him, but I feel like I won't ever win without ridiculous reads, like up B when he recovers high or between his Uairs.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
I stick with MK, he does a hell lot better than D3 in that MU. Try watching one of S2H's videos he beat a Diddy in a tournament.

At first we thought Sonic required a secondary but then we find ways to beat him, i think the same will happen with Diddy. Especially in customs.

Edit: I do think MU threads across the whole board should focus on tactics against whatever character they're doing instead of the ratio, just something i noticed after seeing other MU threads especially ones with little to no discussions.

Last edited:

LostinpinK

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ailkah
I agree for the tactics. MK is a fairly hard character to master, and some MU like Lucario can seem tough if we play it super aggro but are actually alright if we play super campy / patient.

Superbat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Superbat3
I stick with MK, he does a hell lot better than D3 in that MU. Try watching one of S2H's videos he beat a Diddy in a tournament.

At first we thought Sonic required a secondary but then we find ways to beat him, i think the same will happen with Diddy. Especially in customs.

Edit: I do think MU threads across the whole board should focus on tactics against whatever character they're doing instead of the ratio, just something i noticed after seeing other MU threads especially ones with little to no discussions.
Lol man I feel like you change your profile pic like every week

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Not as potent as drill rush when it comes to stage spiking, but it can happen. I think MK beats Brawler convincingly but that's for another topic at a later point.

Edit: I had to google what KND meant lol, no i don't its just a coincidence.

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
@ warionumbah2 warionumbah2 I guess I just need to regain confidence on Ftilt. I don't use it as much because lolnerf

Speaking of numbah's, do you happen to like KND?

Last edited:

AlanHaTe

Smash Ace
Hi fellow MKs!! I come from the far away Brawl era where MK was(is) my main, I keep maining him in this game!! ;D

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Hey Alan, how's it going?
Good to see more people still stick to the bat even now he's not as powerful

AlanHaTe

Smash Ace
I think it's still pretty good, besides I like the character since I was a kid, and there's some people who are still a little bit affected by his Brawl Kingdom and I like that xD
My biggest flaw with this is game is not having it, so I can't practice, so I just try to imitate the few things I see here, which I just learned a couple more and better options than the ones I use when I have the oportunity to play.
Right now I have to somehow prepare for the tournament this weekend from a little league that was hold here in my city, I only lost against three people because of some stupid random stuff I did or happened ;(. Need to learn MUs and things many characters can do to me besides the infamous hoo-hahs, which is like the only thing I'm really aware of Dx... for that I can just platform or air camp on BF or something and use some Brawlish strats like "don't get grabbed"(it somewhat worked when I tried it the last time I played against a friend's Diddy)

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
You know, I think meta knight has a lot of potential in doubles. Tornado is an incredibly good move in doubles, as not only does it deal an incredible amount of damage, but its long duration as well, allowing your partner to follow up after it with another powerful move or long duration damage builder. Besides that, he has many other favorable traits as well; he can KO early, has edge guarding tools, and can't get gimped easily. It will be very interesting to see how Meta Knight will fare in doubles.

Something interesting I found is that meta Knight's Up throw can kill extremely early if the oppenent is air born and caught by Meta Knight's Hitbox when he's falling down. May be useful in doubles as well.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Problem with doubles is that MK will be taking more damage due to team combos and such, his teammate must not hit MK because its really gonna take a toll on him later in the match. He can tank stocks very well by taking advantage of his jumps but his teammate will be on their own getting bodied.

Another thing I notice is that your teammate will constantly need to fend for himself since MKs combos take long to finish so they can't always wait for MK to pick up their slack.

MK has some really slick stuff In doubles since everyone in smash is balanced around free for all, his mach tornado can be used to scoop up both opponents and literally hand them over to your partner who will hopefully land a good follow up. The hits on tornado last a long time when he gets 2 characters giving your partner more than enough time to follow up, tornado is also good at catching people in hitstun.

MK is the king of follow ups and setting up kill moves for himself and his partner. If your partner picks a good character and is good in 1v1, MK can synergies with them very well.

The best team imo is :4metaknight: and :4metaknight: shuttle loop ladder is a thing people.

-------

MKs foxtrot is so silly, the amount of frames you can input A for a dash attack is flipping dumb. Foxtrot and then MK stays in his dash until his cape comes back, so your opponent must respect his options for that amount od time since dash grab/attack lunges MK forward like Usian Bolt when he starts his 100m sprint. And walking Ftilt shuts down the Mario bros aerial approaches, not only does he have a better mid range game than Mario but he has the ability to stuff his approaches with disjoints.

And people say MKs range is bad smh.

Last edited:

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
The next MU thread is coming soon, guys. I've had mid-terms and papers all week on top of work so I'm more than a little swamped. Today's the last day of mid-terms at least. :dizzy:
Unless there's any objections,:4ness: is up next.

Top Bottom