• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The MKGD: The rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated

warionumbah2

Smash Master
I'm practicing this braindead combo: Dtilt to Grounded(G) Shuttle Loop(Credit goes to Itol he's the first to use it from what i've seen). My b it was katakiri that found it.

Lightweights like :4pikachu:+:rosalina:get popped off the ground by Dtilt at 100% and G Shuttle Loop kills them with no rage.

Midweights(which is most of the cast) don't pop off from Dtilt until 110%. :4sonic:+:4mario:+:4diddy:+:4lucario: are in this group.

There's no reason to use this on heavy weights since they're easy to shuttle out of DA and forward throw. Only heavy weight that's hard to edgeguard is DK so this kill setup may be useful, especially against Lightweights.

Characters like :4lucario: don't have frame 3 moves so you shouldn't struggle too hard to land it.

Edit: Did it on human players and even if they miraculously tech you can still catch them with shuttle loop.

Last edited:

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
@ warionumbah2 warionumbah2 Bruh. I've been doing that since pre-Wii U.
Down-Tilt puts characters into spinning-knock-back very low to the ground at high percents (about 90% to 130% depending on the character's weight) which puts them in a knock-down-state when they land which is where you can catch them for a killing blow. They can tech the landing if they react fast enough however so it's not guaranteed.

You can land anything you can use out of dash with the set-up and, since this set up only works at high percents, the ideal moves to use are Grounded Shuttle Loop or Dimensional Cape. There's not enough time to stop dashing and Smash Attack nor does MK's walking speed reach them fast enough.

I like Dimensional Cape to be flashy :yeahboi: but using the Shuttle Loop option gives you a sort of hit-confirm where you have enough time to watch for a tech before you have to Up-B. It might sound like Shuttle Loop is always the best option because of that but Shuttle Loop is also one of MK's best damaging moves with D-Throw > Up-B and Dash Attack > Up-B being so potent for damage so the move could be stale and not KO, in which case Dimensional Cape probably will. Just keep that in mind.

And if they tech, we just Nado on-top of them for a free 22%.

So we have combos from throws until like 80+% and kill set-ups off our fastest tilt. Who said we got nerfed? :denzel:
Anyway, I'm gonna get started on making this week's MU thread. :coolmonke:

D

Deleted member

So what's everyone's C-stick set to? Smash attacks or tilts? I just recently switched to tilts to mess around in training and it looks easier to control your character that way, not sure if it's bad to switch to it full-time though.

Last edited by a moderator:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Smash. Its not like i use fade away fair and bair on MK so i don't need tilts, lately i've been using the c-stick to throw out my DA faster at mid range. Apparently it comes out 2 frames sooner?? mainly because if you try DA quickly from standing still you'll end up doing a f-smash but the c-stick negates this problem.

Really useful against Links and situations where you might miss your DA for some reason, the fact that MK lunges and his foot extends to the point where Wario can't chomp you is what makes it so good.

You guys probably knew this already.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Apparently it comes out 2 frames sooner?? mainly because if you try DA quickly from standing still you'll end up doing a f-smash but the c-stick negates this problem.
You can actually do an instant dash attack even without the c-stick by rotating the control stick down after starting a dash then pressing A. Just need 1 frame to start the dash and then you can DA instantly.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
I have the right analog stick set to tilts. Because smash attacks with the right stick takes full control away from the left stick, my air game with Meta Knight is ****ed otherwise. It would be nice if doing a jab or nair with the right stick didn't require it to be so precise. It's about the only instance where I'd find the octagon ridges from the GCN controller analog sticks really useful. I use a Pro Controller, so sometimes I **** up my nairs because finding the exact diagonals aren't easy to get right with how the analog sticks are pulled off. They definitely made this game with the GCN controller in mind. lol

warionumbah2

Smash Master
The %s where Dtilt pops characters off the ground is here. Of course my eyes wondered to the high tiers and I'm very pleased, it means we can end them at approximately that percent.
:4jigglypuff: 91%
:4gaw: 95%
:4kirby: 96%
:rosalina:97% :denzel:
:4metaknight::4fox::4pikachu::4olimar: 98% :denzel:
:4falco: :4littlemac::4zss: 99% :denzel:
:4zelda::4sheik: 101% :denzel:
:4peach:103%
:4palutena::4marth::4lucina: :4duckhunt:104%
:4diddy:105% :denzel:
:4tlink: :4greninja::4ness:106%
:4pit::4darkpit: :4robinm::4wiifit::4pacman::4sonic:107%
:4mario::4luigi::4villager::4drmario:108%
:4lucario: 109%
:4shulk::4megaman: 111%
:4yoshi::4link::4falcon:112%
:4wario2::4myfriends::4rob:113%
:4samus: 114%
:4bowserjr:115%
:4ganondorf: 116%
:4charizard: 118%
:4dedede: 120%
:4dk:122%
:4bowser:125%

I recommend using Dimensional Cape on anyone after Lucario, heavy characters are more resistant to vertical moves especially a stale Shuttle Loop from the ground.

Last edited:

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
Hey! I'm Zethoro. I've been stalking these boards for a bit in my search and confusion for mains. About a month ago I first picked up Meta Knight. I thought he meshed with my style well, but I wanted to make sure.
So...hey! I'll be sticking around.

Superbat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Superbat3
@ Zethoro Zethoro Same situation as you Zethoro but only the difference is that my metaknight sucks (like for glory scrub). I'll also be sticking around here as well.:4metaknight:

Name:Superbat
Talents:For Glory Scrub{/b]
Dislikes:Losing tournament:
Goals:Evolve to a beginner scrub
Other facts: First smash bros game that I'm gonna do competitive in.

Last edited:

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
Oh, that reminds me.

Name: Zethoro
NNID: Zethor
Talents: Singing...and stuff.
Dislikes: Long walks on the Beach.
Goals: To reach a tournament skill level at this game, and to become a music teacher.
Other facts: Long walks on the Beach.

Last edited:
NNID
Shado_Chimera
3DS FC
2019-9854-8378
Oh is that a thing? Might as well fill it out..

Name: Shadó Chimera
Talents: -
Dislikes: Thinking about things I dislike.
Goals: -
Other facts: MK is one of my secondaries.

Archimedes

The Rad Simisear
Switch FC
7772-6031-3529
Name: Arc
NNID: Arc_Skypaw
Talents: Sometimes not being awful at a competitive level and Nintendo Trivia.
Dislikes: Diddy and Sonic (only in smash)
Goals: To be good at a competitive level and to learn many characters
Other facts: I always wanted to play MK because I love him but didn't want to use him in brawl.

There c:

D

Deleted member

So what got you new guys' interested in using Meta Knight? I'm curious. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Archimedes

The Rad Simisear
Switch FC
7772-6031-3529
Well Kirby Super Star was the first Video Game I ever played and I feel I should rep that some how. That and Meta Knight is adorable with his cute appearance, but tough guy voice.

Meta Knight is only my Secondary though :x

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Am i the only MK right now that's using Perfect Pivot? That **** looks hot with F-Smash, D-Smash and U-smash keeps the slide effect so objectively they're the better options. Its also good for faking people out in neutral.

Like guys only 3 characters can cover more distance with PP.

Edit: i can only do it to the left but i can get it right 95% of the time, so its all good.

Last edited:

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
I find perfect pivoting really difficult with my lousy finger joints. I can only achieve perfect pivoting when going to the left and with very inconsistent results. I have a hard enough time doing smashes consistently. I've lost so many games at tournaments and friendlies for accidentally doing a tilt instead of a smash attack. It's infuriating.

D

Deleted member

Am i the only MK right now that's using Perfect Pivot? That **** looks hot with F-Smash, D-Smash and U-smash keeps the slide effect so objectively they're the better options. Its also good for faking people out in neutral.

I've been trying to implement Perfect Pivot into my gameplay, but it's sooo difficult to pull off for me. How do you do it with your C-Stick set to smash though?! I remember you saying you had it set to smash.

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor

Edit: i can only do it to the left but i can get it right 95% of the time, so its all good.
hot with FSmash? DSmash is even better, have you seen that?
I find PP very situational, but I use it from time to time. Can only do it consistently going right though.

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
I've been trying to implement Perfect Pivot into my gameplay, but it's sooo difficult to pull off for me. How do you do it with your C-Stick set to smash though?! I remember you saying you had it set to smash.
Hard to explain, there's like a 2 frame interval where you throw out a smash its very muscle memory heavy. Its not heavily in my gameplay yet, but i use it to punish landings and to fake people out in neutral.

hot with FSmash? DSmash is even better, have you seen that?
I find PP very situational, but I use it from time to time. Can only do it consistently going right though.
D-smash looks fine as hell with PP. Its indeed situational but i like to use it as a movement option at least. I just see amsa use it and then i search up the PP distance and it turns out its the same as Greninja's.

If anyone can PP in both directions frequently they're a god.

D

Deleted member

Hard to explain, there's like a 2 frame interval where you throw out a smash its very muscle memory heavy. Its not heavily in my gameplay yet, but i use it to punish landings and to fake people out in neutral.

D-smash looks fine as hell with PP. Its indeed situational but i like to use it as a movement option at least. I just see amsa use it and then i search up the PP distance and it turns out its the same as Greninja's.

If anyone can PP in both directions frequently they're a god.
Dude... you have to show me how to do it in game some day, lol. It'll be really useful for both of my mains. Do you have a Skype? Was gonna post this on your profile but it won't let me.

Pas

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Antilochos
3DS FC
2277-6656-7895
Beginning player and initially a Yoshi main, I'm finding myself getting torn up by characters who are fast, and also by characters who are very good with dodges, quick grabs, and punishes. Was sad that my Yoshi didn't have a strong grab game, was sad that I was so often confounded in the neutral by other players who could keep me out, bait me and then punish my attempts to get in, or punish me by quickly darting in against me when I make a wrong move.

Started mucking around with other characters to see what I could learn and found MK was fast, could make himself hard to hit, and could dash in there for some grabs which chain into things. Found that I was approaching the neutral game from a new viewpoint, starting to look for punishes, which has never been part of my game before. I looked into him as an alternative pick against these sorts of players and now I'm having so much fun that I'm going to stick with it.

Plus it's actually making me a better Yoshi player, too.

Name: Pas (Happyfeet)
NNID: Antilochos
Talents: I make pretty mean pancakes.
Dislikes: Fox.
Goals: To keep up with the people in my local scene.
Other facts: Pink yoshi.

Last edited:

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
Got tired of maining the same two characters for five games in a row so when Wii U came around I looked for new mains. Clicked with Robin early since I'm a huge FE;A fan (I've beaten it at least 30 times and started speedrunning it.) and I like her playstyle.
Came across MK because I love the Kirby series dearly, MK wasn't as OP, and his playstyle just meshed well with me. Of course, now that I know I like him I have to try him in Brawl now.
So you guys gave me actual work >_>
I have no idea what you're talking about.

Last edited:

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
Yooo ladder is funny. People don't see MK and since I suck horribly they have this preconcieved notion that MK is bad they assume his MU with their character is difficult.
Almost everyone I've run into today has thought the MU is tough for MK. It isn't Diddy or Sanic so it's manageable.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Dude... you have to show me how to do it in game some day, lol. It'll be really useful for both of my mains. Do you have a Skype? Was gonna post this on your profile but it won't let me.
Here's examples of me using PP in potato quality.

The best thing about PP is that it makes it so the 2nd strong hit connects near the ledge, in the last one i caught Tink with d-smash after he rolled, If i went for a normal d-smash it would've missed since he rolled into me.

Its great for punishing landings and bullying people near the ledge. MK has the 5th best roll in the game so he can act out of the roll quickly, which is why i could PP instantly after i back rolled.

Last edited:

Shog

Smash Ace
Just want to say that I played Meta-Knight for like 3 hours online in team battles and in 1vs1 and he is one of the most fun characters I ever tried! Just hate the Pit Matchup though X(

(T)

Smash Rookie
Name: (T)
Talents: Music, Smash, Can solve a rubiks cube in 2 minutes, Efficiently wasting time
Likes: Video Games, Singing/Songwriting, Smash, Non-obnoxious people.
Dislikes: Obnoxious people, unnecessary and excessive volume (goes hand in hand with obnoxious people..), poorly aimed projectile spam.
Goals:To be the best... aro-hound (Nothings ever gonna keep me down!) etc.
Other facts: I have 7 siblings, GameCube was my first console, I play 9 characters (at a competitive level) in melee for some unknown reason, MK is the only character I enjoy playing in Sm4sh.

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
yoo The metaknight alliance is growing. Like six people joined this weekend lol.
Indeed. Fought a fellow MK on ladders today. Got bodied in the ditto but my Kirby held up okay.
People are finally realizing the beauty of MK.

Trunks159

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Trunks159
If you miss a dash attack (shielded, spot dodged) what do you do? Rising shorthop dair works for me every time, so I never get punished.

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Anyone got a rough estimate on MKs pivot grab range? This **** safe as hell when you're retreating. oh and the question above, I use rising dair since unlike bair this can set up combos if the opponent misses a tech.

Or I just roll since MKs roll is stupidly good.

Trunks159

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Trunks159
Anyone got a rough estimate on MKs pivot grab range? This **** safe as hell when you're retreating. oh and the question above, I use rising dair since unlike bair this can set up combos if the opponent misses a tech.

Or I just roll since MKs roll is stupidly good.
Crap, is that a b, meant for it to say dair.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Yooo I'll bite because I'm seeing both potential and personal results with this character.

Name: Pazx
"Talents": Music, I'm in a band which I might plug sometime
Likes: Smash, TF2, cats, pizza, social justice, obscure bands, football (soccer)
Dislikes: General bigotry, arrogance, ignorance
Goals: To one day stop procrastinating, break top 3 in my state's PR, make top X (undecided) at Australian major in July
Other facts: I'm a TO and I currently main Diddy in this game but I've been drawn to MK because not only is he a good character he has (somewhat) organised boards. I cannot tell you coming from a Mii Brawler and Diddy background how refreshing it is to have guides stickied and actual organised matchup threads. I'm also a little bit sick of people assuming my wins come from my character choice alone so by adding MK to my repertoire I hope to do just as if not better than before, especially as he seems to cover some matchups that I struggle with. I'm in love with nair, I enjoy custom moves, I use the purple colour swap, and playing MK makes me feel nostalgia for Brawl (despite being a Falco main).

Shog

Smash Ace
Yo, I feel bad because I betrayed Charizard for the bat, Meta-Knight is such a fun character :/

Name: Shog
"Talents": dedication...and I can learn pretty much anything
Likes: Gaming, reading, learning (University), FAMILY <3, Anime
Dislikes: Socializing, human ignorance and self entitlement
Goals: Have a family on my own(teh conflict above is real)

Other things: I didn't give up on Charizard, but on Samus though! So MK is either my main or secondary.
Prefered color choice: Pink(Kirby) and Grey(color combination gives a royal feeling)

Shog

Smash Ace
What do you struggle with against Pit? Maybe i can help.
It is simple.
I suck. I need to play more :) I struggle against his longer range basically. But since I know that this is a pretty lame excuse, I simply need to play

Trunks159

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Trunks159
Yo, I feel bad because I betrayed Charizard for the bat, Meta-Knight is such a fun character :/
Dislikes: Socializing, human ignorance and self entitlement
So just human ignorance?

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Which MU are we covering @ Katakiri Katakiri ?

Didn't get any input from C.Falcon users(not like it matters) and no Diddy users from the Diddy boards came over to help us out(which is a big hit since Diddy is more common than Falcon competitively and more of a threat).

:4fox::4lucario::rosalina::4pikachu::4rob::4megaman:???

Top Bottom