• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The 'Mains' Advice Thread

Derpnaster

Smash Journeyman
Derpnaster Derpnaster Thanks for the suggestion. Since I already play someone from the Pokemon franchise, I'll probably consider the others first for the sake of variety, but I will keep Greninja in mind. I played a rather reaction-heavy Fox in Melee, and both the precision and punish game of Greninja kind of give me a similar feeling, so it could definitely be interesting!

@vertime Yeah, I know what you mean. I've mained Jiggs since launch, but I actually make a point of not being overly confident about anything, because there's always room for improvement, and playing such a character is already dangerous enough without letting my guard down. I'll work with Ryu for a while, and if I find my Puff seems off, or I can't balance the two effectively, I'll move on. I do believe that Ryu is at least capable of multiple playstyles (I generally feel this way about most characters, but some have more options than others, of course), but time will tell. Thanks for the feedback.
I guess the final takeaway from this (Very fun mind you, this has been one of the best short discussions I've had here in awhile) discussion is really go with whichever character clicks best with you. Honestly the best any of us can do is offer suggestions and ideas but really only a player can determine what is right for them, in my case that is the arguably strange trio of Link, Greninja, and Sheik. I know another guy who uses R.O.B and Mewtwo and he absolutely shreds.

Really go with what feels the most fun and exciting to play.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
So I was going to try and force myself to play Meta Knight again, get good and develop some discipline for myself, etc.

One smash session with friends later and I am two seconds away from maining Shulk.

I think I've lost control of my life.

Niche

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
fueg#0
NNID
0hribbon
I'm trying to find a character I'm told I'm good at shutting down campers and have an amazing aerial game. However I'm also told that I have a luckluster ground game. Not sure if the info is relevant but hey

Last edited:

DJBor

Smash Journeyman
C0rvus C0rvus Main :4shulk: if he is your best character.
Niche Niche You're looking at :4yoshi: or :4mewtwo: - characters that can stay in the air and not come down until they have to. :4metaknight: is good too

Last edited:

Derpnaster

Smash Journeyman
Well who is fun for you?

Picking a character should not be about who is good, if it was we'd all main nothing but Sheik, Cloud and (Insert top tier character here). Instead we all have a wide variety of frankly awesome characters that get played.

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
My :4villager: has been really good recently. Same with my :4megaman:. My :4alph: is picking up again too. Considering :4villager::4alph::4megaman::4fox::4ness::4mewtwo: For my pockets for :4pikachu::4feroy:. Any suggestions? I'll take 2 pockets.

Justinian

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GenoAzelf
My :4villager: has been really good recently. Same with my :4megaman:. My :4alph: is picking up again too. Considering :4villager::4alph::4megaman::4fox::4ness::4mewtwo: For my pockets for :4pikachu::4feroy:. Any suggestions? I'll take 2 pockets.
Mewtwo works pretty well with Pikachu + Roy, so I'd recommend him first. At that point you're all set from a matchup standpoint, so if you want to play any characters beyond that I'd say play whoever's your favorite :]

DJBor

Smash Journeyman
Still think :4fox:, but you could do what I do now since your pocket always fluctuates: keep all of them but at a lesser degree than your mains, and do everything you can to stay within your two mains. And if you need to fall back on something? Pull the pocket with the best matchup, ANTi style.

:4bayonetta2: isn't actually a top tier, right? I put her 14th in high tier (for the record below :4metaknight:), the official list put her in a "secret 11th top tier" position. I'd like to believe myself on this one, but what if other players think I'm trying to abuse tiers? I'm not, and it's noticeable when you see how aggressive my Bayo is. What is to be done?

Last edited:

Derpnaster

Smash Journeyman
Still think :4fox:, but you could do what I do now since your pocket always fluctuates: keep all of them but at a lesser degree than your mains, and do everything you can to stay within your two mains. And if you need to fall back on something? Pull the pocket with the best matchup, ANTi style.

:4bayonetta2: isn't actually a top tier, right? I put her 14th in high tier (for the record below :4metaknight:), the official list put her in a "secret 11th top tier" position. I'd like to believe myself on this one, but what if other players think I'm trying to abuse tiers? I'm not, and it's noticeable when you see how aggressive my Bayo is. What is to be done?
It's up in the air right now. I say yes she's bottom of top but the internet hates unpopular opinion so I tend to keep my list to myself and my knowledge as well unless asked for

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
I say bayo is upper high. She really struggles against :4diddy::4megaman::4pikachu::4sheik::4greninja: and also :4ness::4lucas::4olimar: do good so I don't think she's got good enough MU spread for top tier.

Update. To help narrow down I'll only consider :4fox::4mewtwo::4megaman::4ness:.

Last edited:

Painting

Smash Rookie
I've been pretty much solo maining Fox for around 9 months by now and I feel the rushdown focus might not be my strongest suit. So I'd like to hear some suggestions on characters that can do a good job both offensively and defensively. Doesn't matter if it's a low tier or not, I'm open to all suggestions.

Last edited:

Justinian

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GenoAzelf
I've been pretty much solo maining Fox for around 9 months by now and I feel the rushdown focus might not be my strongest suit. So I'd like to hear some suggestions on characters that can do a good job both offensively and defensively. Doesn't matter if it's a low tier or not, I'm open to all suggestions.
You don't know if rushdown is the style for you? I can definitely relate to that. As a Fox main myself, I've always tried to keep zoning-oriented characters in my pocket because I don't always like to play one way. I've always personally enjoyed Diddy, and I think he may fit what you're looking for; he can play a very effective defensive game, and he's actually got a similar matchup spread to Fox, but has totally different strengths to play towards.

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
I think I'm gonna go with :4fox: as my pocket. His aggression is just to great. So now I've got the hyper offense team of :4feroy::4pikachu::4fox:.

Derpnaster

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to suggest Link or Ike here.

Both are some of the most powerful characters in the game (Link being only slightly weaker but employing Rage better)

Link and Ike are slow ish heavy swordsmen with downright scary kill potential in nearly every move they have in their toolset.
Link has a shorter sword but has the best overall projectile set in the game (All his tools cover for the others and mesh perfectly with his normals) and an ungodly amount of killing power in each one. Link is a character capable of killing at 40% with rage, and reliably at 60%. Like actually has no style, his toolset is just that versatile but because he is slower and has issues getting characters off of him due to frame data, he is often considered a strictly defensive character. Truth be told, don't listen to anyone who says you're playing Link

Niche

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
fueg#0
NNID
0hribbon
I'm looking for a character who accels at pressuring their opponent. I really enjoy constricting my opponent and limiting their options. Also I don't care about tiers do suggest any character even if they are considered garbage

Derpnaster

Smash Journeyman
:4mewtwo::4sonic::4corrin::4tlink::4falcon::4yoshi::4charizard::4feroy: and if you don't mind him being #1 :4cloud:
Also Link, Puff, Doc has some scary pressure, Sheik, Pika, Ike is downright terrifying in that application, Byonetta, Surprisingly Duckk Hunt and Villager as well.

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman
Dear Diary (LOL),

So, after having spent a little time with suggested characters (and continuing to return to some beloved extras because I apparently lack self-control), here are some things I've noticed and/or found to be the case regarding each:

:4ryu: - Great experience playing Ryu. I love his tech, and didn't really find all that much trouble switching between playing him and Jiggs, especially after changing up my use of various controls (same control scheme as Jiggs, just different approach). He really flows with my kind of defensive + bait & punish use of him. However, there were still times when it seemed the game wasn't ready to register my full :GCN: motions for special moves, and sometimes it would cost me a stock, or at least a whopping great deal of damage. Though I'd normally make a comeback, which is good, after a while I started feeling like there isn't quite enough consistency in his control to warrant him as a solid enough choice to rely on if I'm just not able to figure out the game with my main. I know he's really good, but just the fact that the occasional mess-up does happen coupled with it usually being pretty serious is enough to make playing him after Jiggs maybe a bit too stressful for me. There's a certain looseness to his controls that isn't present in actual Street Fighter games that makes me lack confidence in his ability to get me through if I haven't started a set with him instead of my main to begin with. Makes me sad, though; what a fun character.

:4bowser: - I'm more a fan of Bowser's sillier renditions in personality (Paper Mario, Mario Sunshine) as opposed to this very serious representation, but surprisingly, I have also really enjoyed learning more about him. Solid playstyle; there's a patience to it that I find very interesting. Down tilt is rather funny to two-frame with, his grab game, the ridiculous amount of coverage whirling fortress gives when fighting off get-up options, there are just so many things about Bowser that feel rewarding when you find that opening. My most dreaded MUs for Jiggs aren't exactly covered that well by him, but I still feel like he has more hope at least with time and practice for those cases (more on this later).

:4greninja: - Derpnaster Derpnaster I can see why you love your main so much! He's very fun once you get a little more hands-on knowledge of how he works. I did find at first I had a similar problem to DJBor DJBor when it came to accidentally using shadow sneak when trying to recover diagonally, but that seemed to subside with effort; felt like I could overcome that problem with enough practice. I don't think I'll end up going with Greninja as I said before, simply because I'd like to, if possible, choose a non-Pokemon character for my secondary, but I just had so much fun trying out what he has to offer (bonus points for having a pink palette LOL).

:4pacman: - Prepare for a bit of a rant. I've used Pac-Man off and on for a decent amount of time, even having a control scheme dedicated solely to when I play him, so this isn't a character that was suggested, but instead someone I have trouble shaking off (though Nice thought I would like the character a while back, and he guessed right, 'cause I was already a fan). Not exactly ground-based, at times sharing more of an even amount of time between being grounded and airborne, though he's certainly different from Jiggs. He's both happy and technical, two of my greatest loves when it comes to Sm4sh characters. However, since a friend of mine specifically asked me to secondary a more ground-based character (he gets very frustrated by how I maneuver in the air with Jiggs), I'm not sure he fits that quite enough. Also, while I can sometimes slaughter my main MU concerns, they are in fact terrible MUs for Pac-Man and can be extremely frustrating. Finally, there's a similar problem to Ryu here with unpredictability... I have had a weird glitch (?) happen sometimes rather consistently when I put down a hydrant and immediately try to drop off its side to bair and then f-tilt it. Instead, what happens is Pac-Man, upon reaching the edge of the hydrant, does a full hop backwards long before water could be a factor, with tap jump turned off, and without any chance of having accidentally pressed a jump button... It's so weird, and it really messes me up in certain situations putting me into a very unfavourable position instead of successfully edge-guarding, putting out pressure, or some other positive outcome of me successfully sending the hydrant toward my opponent. Granted, it usually works out how I want it to, but that kind of inconsistency is what I'm trying to avoid, so... It seems like I should just play him for fun in the end with all things considered... Very disappointing.

:4metaknight: & :4sonic: - A friend was visiting and told me that out of all of the characters I've been considering, they liked my use of these two best (Note: I didn't use Pac-Man in any matches during the visit.) and thought I should choose one of them. I'm rather torn between the two for various reasons.
Meta Knight: Pros - Slightly prefer his personality over Sonic's (though Sonic is more cheerful I guess), know him pretty well, does well with most of the MUs I have trouble with, good off-stage game. Cons - Has limited options until he finds an opening, poor MU with one character I particularly have trouble against with Jiggs, another ball shaped character (LOL), everyone and their grandmother around here uses a sword-wielding character.
Sonic: Pros - Interesting tech and movement options that I have a lot of fun utilizing, more evenly matched against all my trouble MUs, can greatly change playstyle mid-match, probably a more consistent pick than Meta Knight in general. Cons - Hated and viewed as cheap by many, makes me feel like a criminal for even remotely liking him.

Now finally about the MUs, my biggest struggles with :4jigglypuff: are :4cloud:, :4corrin:, and :4mario:, though I have certainly managed against each. Basically, it's just really unpleasant and stressful, so that's where my secondary would come in when I so choose. Ultimately, most characters will still feel easier to handle these MUs with even if they're not favourable, but just adding the info in case it helps with opinions and such.

Now, if you guys can actually work your way through all of my blablabla, I'm definitely not expecting any of you to outright fix my inner struggles, but I'd really love to hear any thoughts in regard to what I've related above. Maybe you think I should just go with a certain character in particular from this list, or perhaps you have someone else in mind with everything in consideration? Let me know! (Not a necessity, but I'd also definitely like to hear from you, C0rvus C0rvus , if you're able, since you're the one who first suggested four of the above characters.)

Grimtixx

Smash Cadet
NNID
bgood4life
Okay so I've been playing :4sonic: and :4cloud: for the past two weeks and I've gradually become a bit sick of the defensive playstyle as my walls would usually get broken easily during tournament. I've also been inconsistent as of late because I would either get gimped even though I tend to mix up my recovery with Cloud or I would repeatedly get punished by using spin dash. I get that it's just natural play, but I'm gradually getting more and more sick of playing these characters and I believe that I've spread myself too thin. I've never tried solo maining anyone, but I would like to try. What I'm looking for is the most consistent character that if I put practice into will help me remain as consistent as I possibly can. Options include :4cloud: and :4sonic: of course, as well as :4mewtwo: and :4bayonetta:. Any other recommendations are also welcome.

Last edited:

Derpnaster

Smash Journeyman
Dear Diary (LOL),

So, after having spent a little time with suggested characters (and continuing to return to some beloved extras because I apparently lack self-control), here are some things I've noticed and/or found to be the case regarding each:

:4ryu: - Great experience playing Ryu. I love his tech, and didn't really find all that much trouble switching between playing him and Jiggs, especially after changing up my use of various controls (same control scheme as Jiggs, just different approach). He really flows with my kind of defensive + bait & punish use of him. However, there were still times when it seemed the game wasn't ready to register my full :GCN: motions for special moves, and sometimes it would cost me a stock, or at least a whopping great deal of damage. Though I'd normally make a comeback, which is good, after a while I started feeling like there isn't quite enough consistency in his control to warrant him as a solid enough choice to rely on if I'm just not able to figure out the game with my main. I know he's really good, but just the fact that the occasional mess-up does happen coupled with it usually being pretty serious is enough to make playing him after Jiggs maybe a bit too stressful for me. There's a certain looseness to his controls that isn't present in actual Street Fighter games that makes me lack confidence in his ability to get me through if I haven't started a set with him instead of my main to begin with. Makes me sad, though; what a fun character.

:4bowser: - I'm more a fan of Bowser's sillier renditions in personality (Paper Mario, Mario Sunshine) as opposed to this very serious representation, but surprisingly, I have also really enjoyed learning more about him. Solid playstyle; there's a patience to it that I find very interesting. Down tilt is rather funny to two-frame with, his grab game, the ridiculous amount of coverage whirling fortress gives when fighting off get-up options, there are just so many things about Bowser that feel rewarding when you find that opening. My most dreaded MUs for Jiggs aren't exactly covered that well by him, but I still feel like he has more hope at least with time and practice for those cases (more on this later).

:4greninja: - Derpnaster Derpnaster I can see why you love your main so much! He's very fun once you get a little more hands-on knowledge of how he works. I did find at first I had a similar problem to DJBor DJBor when it came to accidentally using shadow sneak when trying to recover diagonally, but that seemed to subside with effort; felt like I could overcome that problem with enough practice. I don't think I'll end up going with Greninja as I said before, simply because I'd like to, if possible, choose a non-Pokemon character for my secondary, but I just had so much fun trying out what he has to offer (bonus points for having a pink palette LOL).

:4pacman: - Prepare for a bit of a rant. I've used Pac-Man off and on for a decent amount of time, even having a control scheme dedicated solely to when I play him, so this isn't a character that was suggested, but instead someone I have trouble shaking off (though Nice thought I would like the character a while back, and he guessed right, 'cause I was already a fan). Not exactly ground-based, at times sharing more of an even amount of time between being grounded and airborne, though he's certainly different from Jiggs. He's both happy and technical, two of my greatest loves when it comes to Sm4sh characters. However, since a friend of mine specifically asked me to secondary a more ground-based character (he gets very frustrated by how I maneuver in the air with Jiggs), I'm not sure he fits that quite enough. Also, while I can sometimes slaughter my main MU concerns, they are in fact terrible MUs for Pac-Man and can be extremely frustrating. Finally, there's a similar problem to Ryu here with unpredictability... I have had a weird glitch (?) happen sometimes rather consistently when I put down a hydrant and immediately try to drop off its side to bair and then f-tilt it. Instead, what happens is Pac-Man, upon reaching the edge of the hydrant, does a full hop backwards long before water could be a factor, with tap jump turned off, and without any chance of having accidentally pressed a jump button... It's so weird, and it really messes me up in certain situations putting me into a very unfavourable position instead of successfully edge-guarding, putting out pressure, or some other positive outcome of me successfully sending the hydrant toward my opponent. Granted, it usually works out how I want it to, but that kind of inconsistency is what I'm trying to avoid, so... It seems like I should just play him for fun in the end with all things considered... Very disappointing.

:4metaknight: & :4sonic: - A friend was visiting and told me that out of all of the characters I've been considering, they liked my use of these two best (Note: I didn't use Pac-Man in any matches during the visit.) and thought I should choose one of them. I'm rather torn between the two for various reasons.
Meta Knight: Pros - Slightly prefer his personality over Sonic's (though Sonic is more cheerful I guess), know him pretty well, does well with most of the MUs I have trouble with, good off-stage game. Cons - Has limited options until he finds an opening, poor MU with one character I particularly have trouble against with Jiggs, another ball shaped character (LOL), everyone and their grandmother around here uses a sword-wielding character.
Sonic: Pros - Interesting tech and movement options that I have a lot of fun utilizing, more evenly matched against all my trouble MUs, can greatly change playstyle mid-match, probably a more consistent pick than Meta Knight in general. Cons - Hated and viewed as cheap by many, makes me feel like a criminal for even remotely liking him.

Now finally about the MUs, my biggest struggles with :4jigglypuff: are :4cloud:, :4corrin:, and :4mario:, though I have certainly managed against each. Basically, it's just really unpleasant and stressful, so that's where my secondary would come in when I so choose. Ultimately, most characters will still feel easier to handle these MUs with even if they're not favourable, but just adding the info in case it helps with opinions and such.

Now, if you guys can actually work your way through all of my blablabla, I'm definitely not expecting any of you to outright fix my inner struggles, but I'd really love to hear any thoughts in regard to what I've related above. Maybe you think I should just go with a certain character in particular from this list, or perhaps you have someone else in mind with everything in consideration? Let me know! (Not a necessity, but I'd also definitely like to hear from you, C0rvus C0rvus , if you're able, since you're the one who first suggested four of the above characters.)
How about Lucina or Marth as an option. Or heck even Mii Gunner or Brawler because of the mixup options and the very low representation in play.

I also like Ike as a pocket but he has a lot of good overall coverage

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Dear Diary (LOL),

Whew, I think I got through the meat of your post, and I like these sort of thought dumps. Now, for my thoughts, Sonic and Meta Knight are both quite good, and neither is easy. In terms of matchups it's a tossup, but Sonic handles Mario and Corrin fairly well, but Cloud is kind of a roadblock for him. Meta Knight is even with Cloud and loses to the others slightly. Now, as a Puff main this may not be an issue for you, so take that as you will.

Honestly, in terms of picking a secondary, you want someone you enjoy playing, above all else. Every character can teach you things, but you have to be receptive to them. Sonic might be the one I would pick based on this, but Ryu and Bowser could work, too. Ryu is a little hard for a secondary, while Bowser is dead simple. Both prefer to play grounded, and can teach you to play the game differently from Puff. Bowser does better against those characters than you think imo. I have some Bowser experience under my belt and Cloud and Mario honestly aren't bad, and as a Corrin main I dread Bowser for some reason. I think it's his consistent reward.

But yeah, any of them could theoretically work. Sonic and Bowser are the stronger picks imo, for various reasons. But fun comes first, or you may just lose interest in playing the character before long.

Last edited:

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman
Derpnaster Derpnaster C0rvus C0rvus DJBor DJBor
Thanks a lot, all (again); going to think about everything you said carefully and weigh this out some more. Wish I weren't so obsessive about it.
I think I'll start working on rating the amount of fun I have with each.

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
Who is :4villager: worst matchups? Same with :4gaw:. They both give me the most trouble with:4feroy::4pikachu:. I've thought of :4fox: as a pocket for them but not sure yet.

Linkip

Smash Cadet
I have been playing :4mario: and :4pikachu: for a while. But a few weeks ago i started to get kinda bored of Pika. So then i decided to just go solo Mario, but i have gotten very bored with Mario also. A ton of people told me to play the character i like the most which would be :4mewtwo:, :4link: or :4ganondorf: but i am not sure if their play styles fit me. I think if i play another character that i enjoy but don't really like the characters noises and model i am afraid i will have another Mario on my hands. I think i am leaning towards Mewtwo but i'm just not sure if i wanna spend so much time for a character i'm not sure even fits me.

Derpnaster

Smash Journeyman
I have been playing :4mario: and :4pikachu: for a while. But a few weeks ago i started to get kinda bored of Pika. So then i decided to just go solo Mario, but i have gotten very bored with Mario also. A ton of people told me to play the character i like the most which would be :4mewtwo:, :4link: or :4ganondorf: but i am not sure if their play styles fit me. I think if i play another character that i enjoy but don't really like the characters noises and model i am afraid i will have another Mario on my hands. I think i am leaning towards Mewtwo but i'm just not sure if i wanna spend so much time for a character i'm not sure even fits me.
Coming from experience with Link, I would look less at what is perceived as the character's style and more at what you can do with the tools they have. Link in particular can work in many philosophies if battle be it rusdown bait and punish or whatever lies in between.
If you find it fun and are willing to put in the effort you will surprise both yourself and others

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
If you don't like who you're playing as a character or aesthetically, or you don't think very highly of them, etc. you will have a hard time sticking with them. If you can find someone you think is cool or interesting or suits your personality, and you have fun with them, you're set. That is a pretty tall order, though haha.

Aetheric

Smash Rookie
What character are all about the neutral. I do amazing in the neutral and highly prefer to stay in it. I'm okay out of neutral but I normally just go for one combo and get out

Derpnaster

Smash Journeyman
What character are all about the neutral. I do amazing in the neutral and highly prefer to stay in it. I'm okay out of neutral but I normally just go for one combo and get out
Pretty much anymore will work. I've taken Link to some insane levels of neutral play. However no character is all neutral. Pressing advantage is a key part of battle you should work on alongside neutral play

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
If you prefer to stay in neutral, you probably want a character with a good disadvantaged state. That means they can reset to neutral pretty easily after they lose it. You also want a strong neutral to flex your abilities with. Characters that fall under this distinction would be Sheik, Diddy... Marth? Wii Fit Trainer and Pac Man kinda? It's kind of a tall order. You could focus on one or the other I suppose.

Bayonetta has mediocre neutral for a top tier, but has likely the nest disadvantaged state in the game. Cloud has incredibly good neutral but lacks a top tier disadvantage. You could easily make it work. Really you could pick any character, unless you want something more specific.

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
Well the character with the best neutral are :4diddy::4mario::4ness::4pikachu::4sheik: so one of them. I wish I could help more.

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
Been playing :4falco: for fun but have actually found results with him. Looks like he's gonna replace :4fox: as my pocket for :4feroy::4pikachu:

Linkip

Smash Cadet
So after trying :4mewtwo: and pretty good results with him i have decided to main him. But i cannot for the life of me beat Sonic or Fox at all. Is there a character with a similar play style to mewtwo with good match ups vs Sonic and Fox? I'm not sure if such a character exists but please let me know if their is.

Last edited:

Derpnaster

Smash Journeyman
So after trying :4mewtwo: and pretty good results with him i have decided to main him. But i cannot for the life of me beat Sonic or Fox at all. Is there a character with a similar play style to mewtwo with good match ups vs Sonic and Fox? I'm not sure if such a character exists but please let me know if their is.
Put more effort into the matchup, just because you can't get it in the first week does not warrant a character change. A good example on my part is that my current record with Link who is my primary character for competitive play against Cloud, a matchup said to be 60:40 in favor of Cloud, is 2-0-0. That is to say every time Cloud has come up I have won. That is because I have put close to a weeks worth of work in play time, and it is going up, of constant labbing and observation of Cloud and how Link can use his toolset to exploit Cloud's moveset.

Basically Smash 4 is not like Melee or Brawl where you have a definitive set of characters that are the best, and then everyone else is either amusing at best or not even viable. In fact the game is so well balanced that Litterally any character can be solo mained and you will with time effort, and a great deal of frustration, actually be able to produce results with anyone.

The takeaway is play on my friend, if you find your current character fun keep at it, learn the character and get creative.

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman
Linkip Linkip Going along with Derpnaster's comment, I fully believe you capable of overcoming these two specific MUs with continued practice/experience and a lot of patience. Mewtwo is kind of his own thing, and he has a lot of tools at his disposal. Analyze your options.

Sonic's approach options are limited by weak shadow balls, generally forcing him to either shield, commit to a spin dash, hop over the projectile, or approach from the air (if the player knows their tech). If they approach, keep in mind you have several moves that cover a variety of options (nair, retreating SH fair and up tilt being a couple I can think of currently). It can be difficult for even a campy Sonic to keep the % lead if you play the match patiently.

As for Fox, focus on moves that have good range and get your combos started; he gets combo'd pretty hard by the likes of Mewtwo. Down tilt is a great combo starter since he likes to approach on foot, and remember that his grab game isn't all that hot, so shielding is decent since you have good OoS options in grab, nair and up smash (be wary of up smash at lower %s since it can be easier for Fox to fall out of it with great DI, and it's generally a move you want to save for the kill anyway). Don't freak out when it comes to his up air; figure out what you can do to trade with it, because it's only the second hit that's deadly (for Jiggs, dair and nair trade rather easily with Fox's up air, but I'm not positive in Mewtwo's case).

Anyway, pretty general and limited advice, but the point is, we think you can get a grip on these two MUs, and you'll wind up being an even stronger player for it in the end. :)

If, after getting a good understanding of the MUs, you just find that they're not enjoyable for you, THEN you may want to consider picking up a pocket to keep from hating the game. LOL :4marth:/:4lucina: can be interesting in this case, and while I wouldn't exactly call him Mewtwo, :4lucario: does have a similar feel to his floatiness to some degree, and he's fully capable of handling any MU in my opinion, but he requires even more patience, and I still feel Mewtwo has better chances with a tiny bit less effort, especially since he's already your main.

Last edited:

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
:4lucario::4pikachu::rosalina: Are the ones I think of first. :4cloud: Could also work

Linkip

Smash Cadet
Derpnaster Derpnaster I should mention i have always had a small amount of trouble with these characters but i find them harder with Mewtwo. Thank you for your advise, it is pretty cool how often your Link can beat Cloud. :D

KniteBlargh KniteBlargh Thanks for the advise! I will definitely try to put this stuff into play. :D

Nice_FZPSC.42 Nice_FZPSC.42 Thanks for the suggestions. If i really can't get the MUs down after a year or so i might have to secondary 1 of these characters.

CasMat

Smash Cadet
Hi, I enjoy playing, :4pikachu::4rob::4falco::4zelda::4olimar::4littlemac:

Strong in my local meta is :4mario::4cloud::4fox::4corrinf::4sonic::4mewtwo::4metaknight::4yoshi::4ness::rosalina::4pit::4luigi: among others.

I am focusing on maining Pikachu, but I'm not sure which of the others I should focus on keeping a strong secondary. I know ROB and Oli are the other two overall strongest in that list, but I don't know if they cover my local meta OR the national meta well. I am willing to look at any character to try messing with. Is there a character I should be looking at trying given my local meta and any national meta problems I have given the characters I like to play?

Top Bottom