• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The 'Mains' Advice Thread

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
Thank you all but I have ran into a problem. I suck at fox. I cannot get him to work for me even after working with him for a couple hrs. Is there someone who would compliment my roster?
Since you like heavyweights you could use :4dk: is the best there is. Otherwise you don't need another or fox so you can drop him and be fine.

Last edited:

Dream Cancel

It's just good business
NNID
DreamXX
3DS FC
4571-1273-3502
Switch FC
SW-4309-2808-7588
Fox is one of the fastest characters in the game input-wise, and on top of that he can use almost every general tech in the game to his benefit. The speed + variety of options + precision due to small hitboxes = a lot of practice. A lot of practice means more than a few hours lol.

Anyhoo, I think everyone should give this a watch.
Analysis: How to choose your main ---> https://youtu.be/AGHGEttNjyo

Dream Cancel Dream Cancel I understand what you're saying. But with each charatcter thart I'm recommended I play with them for a few hours and if I like how they feel then if I like how they play then I use them. Just my system.
I've seen that video, but I don't discriminate when it come to characters :p

DeKoibs☆

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1006-1131-4463
These are my current mains that I use: Primary: :4kirby:
Secondary::4bowser: :4ness:
Pockets: :4marth:
I can use all these characters pretty well, but lately, I have been losing touch with :4ness: and I now play pretty bad with him. I can't seem to play as good as I did in the past, because I am now constantly losing to my little brother's :4lucas:. So I was wondering what would be a good replacement for :4ness:, since I am now thinking of dropping him. The replacements that I was thinking of are:4falco:,:4metaknight:, or :4darkpit:. If you have a different suggestion in mind, I'll happily take it into consideration. Thanks!

DJBor

Smash Journeyman
:4falco: is not that good, :4darkpit: shares a lot of similarities with your main. Go with :4metaknight: for double the Kirby representation.
Losing to your younger brother isn't always a bad thing, it can help you to adapt. That's how I found my universal counterpick :4villager:.

DeKoibs☆

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1006-1131-4463
:4falco: is not that good, :4darkpit: shares a lot of similarities with your main. Go with :4metaknight: for double the Kirby representation.
Losing to your younger brother isn't always a bad thing, it can help you to adapt. That's how I found my universal counterpick :4villager:.
Oh, I know it's not a bad thing to lose to my little brother, in fact, me and him are almost evenly matched. I just that I used to beat him with:4ness: a lot, but since I picked him less and less over the years, my skills with him decreased dramatically. And I just can't seem to regain those skills. And thanks for the feedback, I'll be using :4darkpit: a lot more now, and I guess I better start learning :4metaknight:'s play style and combos, I did use him a lot in Brawl.

Aetheric

Smash Rookie
I'm looking for a character that has a good offstage game, good recovery, decent speed, Can be played in a defensive manner but mainly offensive.

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman
A Aetheric Let's see if we can help you with that. There are a number to choose from (and probably more I'm missing).
:4pit: and :4darkpit: fit that description pretty well. They may not be super fast on-stage, but still decent, and their hit-boxes stretch out really far, which also helps to compensate for any lack of speed.
:4mewtwo: is a good choice with numerous mobility options that can aid his off-stage game
:4pikachu: is fast, but he can be difficult to control at first and his projectile is laggy if used too close to the opponent, so look out for that. It's also pretty easy to die accidentally trying to use thunder off-stage if not executed correctly, so if you're interested in Pikachu, I'd suggest checking out some of Esam's guides on Youtube to help with that.
:4sheik:... I mean, it's Sheik. Can't play quite as aggressively as she could in the past, but that's honestly not saying much. She's still full of tricks/tools and can work for just about any style you want.
:4gaw: goes a bit unnoticed, but it's hard to contend with his dair, which can safely be used off-stage out of a short hop from the ledge, then using his second jump and up special to recover, which is also difficult for many to deal with (at times even leading to stage spikes for those who try to punish you). Throw his bucket jump AT into the works, and you have yourself a much better horizontal recovery if in a pinch.
:4metaknight: lacks a projectile, but his speed makes up for it. Wonderful off-stage game.
:4villager:/:4villagerf: lacks speed, but can mostly make up for it by walling out opponents with fair, bair, and side special (which, in most cases, you don't want to ride, by the way). The recovery isn't the safest (no hit-box), meaning you should expect to tech if hit, but it covers a tremendous amount of space, basically allowing you to recover from anywhere.

Last edited:

DJBor

Smash Journeyman
In addition to the ones above, here's a few more
:4mario:, king of the shutdown. Recovery isn't the best, but high air-speed makes up for most of it.
:4tlink:, a rising top tier imo. I rank him 13th on my tier list, and for good reason- he has power, defense, speed, range, recovery- everything.
:4fox: is very strong on offense, and also has massive laser damage on defense and a sonic-speed reflector.
:4lucas: puts together a great offense-defense kit, and even if he's not as powerful as Ness, he's the better all-arounder.
:4greninja: is very fast and has a great offstage game and recovery, plus his projectile and Shadow Sneak make great defensive mixups.

Last edited:

Painting

Smash Rookie
:4pacman:
:4cloud::4corrin::4marth::4zss:Are your best bet.
It became :4marth:, I really fell in love with Marth's spacing playstyle recently. I'm also a big Fire Emblem fan so that's a nice + (used to play :4robinf: a year ago but dropped her because I found her too slow in most situations)

:4zss: is also a character I really like to play, although I think she's just a little bit too much leaning on commitment for my liking.

Anyway, thanks for helping me out.

Last edited:

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
It became :4marth:, I really fell in love with Marth's spacing playstyle recently. I'm also a big Fire Emblem fan so that's a nice + (used to play :4robinf: a year ago but dropped her because I found her too slow in most situations)

:4zss: is also a character I really like to play, although I think she's just a little bit too much leaning on commitment for my liking.

Anyway, thanks for helping me out.
No problem I wish you luck!

Aveean

Purple Yoshi Double Dunker
Hi all!

Looking for advice, obviously. I have mained Yoshi since the game hit. I have decent results with him (generally top 8 at weeklies), and he's fun at times, but he's stale for me. I don't generally like the attention he attracts and his playstyle, although appearing somewhat rushdown, is instead very patient and often campy at a higher level.

What I'm looking for is someone who isn't going to stand back and camp all game, and a character I also enjoy. Here are some I have considered:
:4falco: - LOVE the character (I mean, look at my name) and love the games. The moment I touch him I see everyone around me complain about him not being viable and how I just ended my "career"
:4fox: - Love the games, the character is fast/rushdown-ish, but I dislike his voice and find his high level play and attacks to be kind of boring looking. He isn't flashy imo.
:4mewtwo: - Going back to my Pokemon roots (HUGE pokemon fan). He wasn't considered until his jump in the tier list (just being honest), but I like the tilts and I like the pokemon. Not sure if I could get used to his defensive/punish playstyle though.
:4pikachu: - LOOOOOVE him and love Pokemon. But.. I am friends with Captain L and I know people wont shut up about him the moment I pick up Pika.
:4charizard: - Fun grapple-ish playstyle, love Pokemon, love him. Just like falco I had a huuuuuge complaining fit from everyone around me about him being low tier.
:4duckhunt: - Most anticipated character for me. I'm a hunter, I have a dog that looks like him, and I love birds. I really don't know about his playstyle though.

I'm open to more ideas. I like aggressive or fast punish-type play and I like non-humans. Thanks guys!

DJBor

Smash Journeyman
early morning character opinions, from best option to worst in my opinion
:4charizard: true grappler, totally viable, really packs on the offense. just DO IT
:4pikachu: would be a great pick if you were tristate... literally no pikas here
:4yoshi: is not campy- it's called a bad neutral. just make the right read and you have all the offense you could ask for
:4fox: is not flashy, but is very rushdown and 100% top tier
:4mewtwo: can be played offensively, like a tail swordfighter, but not at all like yoshi
:4falco: is campy, and just barely viable, like :4bowserjr:
:4duckhunt: waaaaay too campy for what you want

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
The ones you listed who aren't campy are :4charizard::4fox::4mewtwo::4pikachu::4yoshi:. If you aren't feeling Yoshi anymore then feel free to change. Since you love Pika id say go with him. Though keep a pocket for :4mario:. I hate him... But that's the only bad matchup. He looses to :4ness::4gaw: also but it's 55:45.

Aetheric

Smash Rookie
What characters have great neutral, air game, and offstage game?

Last edited:

PJB

Smash Cadet
Hi everyone,

I'm a villager main who's looking to pick up a secondary. The two matchups that I struggle the most in are Cloud and Rosalina (and also weirdly palutena but I think this could just be a personal problem). The only character that I know does reasonably well vs both of these characters is sheik, but I'd like to avoid using her if possible since I am a sheik main in melee. Can anyone recommend a different good secondary to cover these two matchups?

(If they also beat up palutena that would be nice but not essential lol)

DJBor

Smash Journeyman
Cloud isn't that bad of a matchup, just take your time to explore options.
Rosalina is pretty awful though. Try someone with no projectiles, but a good disjoint. Probably :4myfriends: is your best choice practically- big sword, high damage, movement options, counter- you should be good.
Another option is :4bayonetta:, despite her Bullet Arts, a lot of her moves are easy to move in protected and deal some damage, and if you get shielded, you have options to escape OR punish the punish with Witch Time (which by the way eats Cloud for breakfast)

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
Hi everyone,

I'm a villager main who's looking to pick up a secondary. The two matchups that I struggle the most in are Cloud and Rosalina (and also weirdly palutena but I think this could just be a personal problem). The only character that I know does reasonably well vs both of these characters is sheik, but I'd like to avoid using her if possible since I am a sheik main in melee. Can anyone recommend a different good secondary to cover these two matchups?

(If they also beat up palutena that would be nice but not essential lol)
:4bayonetta::4corrin::4metaknight::4mewtwo::4pikachu: And maybe :4diddy: (idk his rosa matchup very well)

Sorry about the double post

Last edited:

PJB

Smash Cadet
Thanks a lot! Bayo and MK were the two I had been thinking of myself actually, so that's good to hear. Bayo seems like a very interesting character to me in general so I guess it's time to shell out 5.99 lol

Green Zelda

Smash Journeyman
Which characters have the highest learning curves?
also happy fourth of july11!!1

Last edited:

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
Which characters have the highest learning curves?
also happy fourth of july11!!1
:4bowserjr::4duckhunt::4greninja::4littlemac::4megaman::4olimar::4pacman::4peach::rosalina::4ryu::4shulk::4villager::4wiifit::4miigun:. :4sheik::4yoshi::4robinm: have fairly high ones too but not as much.

I wanna find out who the best counterpicks for my region would be. The most commonly used characters are :4falcon::4mario::4sonic: and the Top 10 in my region are Andoo:4cloud::4wario2:, JFK:4yoshi::4wiifit:, Sunnysunny:4lucario:, X:4sonic:, Ghey:4sonic::4luigi:, Jesus:4mario:, Detta:4rob::4pikachu:, SSB100:4olimar:, Nero:4falcon::4bayonetta:, and Fabian:4tlink::4link:. I'm looking to find 2-3 characters who beat all of these characters. Input please.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I wanna find out who the best counterpicks for my region would be. The most commonly used characters are :4falcon::4mario::4sonic: and the Top 10 in my region are Andoo:4cloud::4wario2:, JFK:4yoshi::4wiifit:, Sunnysunny:4lucario:, X:4sonic:, Ghey:4sonic::4luigi:, Jesus:4mario:, Detta:4rob::4pikachu:, SSB100:4olimar:, Nero:4falcon::4bayonetta:, and Fabian:4tlink::4link:. I'm looking to find 2-3 characters who beat all of these characters. Input please.
:4sheik::4mewtwo::4fox::4diddy::4cloud::4mario: all do pretty well or even against those characters. In my opinion, you should learn the matchup with your current mains instead.

Last edited by a moderator:

DJBor

Smash Journeyman
You want to be braindead, try :4corrin::4mario:. At least requires some thinking though, but pretty easy copy-paste stuff. If you REALLY need a third, add :4ness:
Remember, you have all the time until your next tournament to decide what you're going to do. (which could either help or hurt you)

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
You want to be braindead, try :4corrin::4mario:. At least requires some thinking though, but pretty easy copy-paste stuff. If you REALLY need a third, add :4ness:
Remember, you have all the time until your next tournament to decide what you're going to do. (which could either help or hurt you)
I like that. The thing is after watching countless videos by omni, Esam, and tournaments, I know that if I want results I have to use characters who'll get me them. Omni said you should play characters who are on the same level as you smartness wise. Ex Dabuz is 2-3 in the world so using :rosalina:is t a big issue for him since he knows the game amazingly well while random pumpkinsmasher123 who is now starting out in smash won't be able to handle the mechanics of the game and a very technical character. That's where I stand. I can handle a little bit of tech like :4pikachu: quick attack but :4ryu: is way over my head for now. Characters in top tier (or just good characters) id say are good for me rn are :4cloud::4corrin::4diddy::4fox::4mario::4mewtwo::4ness::4pikachu::4sheik::4sonic::4tlink::4yoshi::4zss::4tlink::4dk::4feroy::4marth::4falcon:I could also go with :4peach: since I used her a lot in melee so her stuff isn't too new to me. I wanna hear a lot on counter picks for my region. So far I've heard :4mario::4corrin:, :4mario::4cloud:, :4diddy::4mewtwo:, I know :4mario::4diddy: is a great team as well as :4pikachu::4corrin: or :4pikachu::4cloud:. Thank you guys for your input but I need more to makeup my mind then just 1 person suggestion one thing.

Last edited:

Justinian

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GenoAzelf
I like that. The thing is after watching countless videos by omni, Esam, and tournaments, I know that if I want results I have to use characters who'll get me them. Omni said you should play characters who are on the same level as you smartness wise. Ex Dabuz is 2-3 in the world so using :rosalina:is t a big issue for him since he knows the game amazingly well while random pumpkinsmasher123 who is now starting out in smash won't be able to handle the mechanics of the game and a very technical character. That's where I stand. I can handle a little bit of tech like :4pikachu: quick attack but :4ryu: is way over my head for now. Characters in top tier (or just good characters) id say are good for me rn are :4cloud::4corrin::4diddy::4fox::4mario::4mewtwo::4ness::4pikachu::4sheik::4sonic::4tlink::4yoshi::4zss::4tlink::4dk::4feroy::4marth::4falcon:I could also go with :4peach: since I used her a lot in melee so her stuff isn't too new to me. I wanna hear a lot on counter picks for my region. So far I've heard :4mario::4corrin:, :4mario::4cloud:, :4diddy::4mewtwo:, I know :4mario::4diddy: is a great team as well as :4pikachu::4corrin: or :4pikachu::4cloud:. Thank you guys for your input but I need more to makeup my mind then just 1 person suggestion one thing.
If you're looking for characters that are relatively easy to play and also have good matchup spreads vs your region, the best dual main you could ask for would be :4cloud:/:4mario:. :4cloud:/:4fox: could also work, but Fox is a bit more technical than Mario, so he may not totally fit your bill.

Also, I'd like to point out that you don't have to pick a (or multiple) top tier(s) in order to get results. Enjoyment of a character is just as strong at most levels of play as a matchup spread. Just my two cents though.

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
If you're looking for characters that are relatively easy to play and also have good matchup spreads vs your region, the best dual main you could ask for would be :4cloud:/:4mario:. :4cloud:/:4fox: could also work, but Fox is a bit more technical than Mario, so he may not totally fit your bill.

Also, I'd like to point out that you don't have to pick a (or multiple) top tier(s) in order to get results. Enjoyment of a character is just as strong at most levels of play as a matchup spread. Just my two cents though.
I'm looking for three. They all don't have to be top tiers just 1 or 2.

I'm so annoyed that I can't stick to a character. I had just got :4pikachu::4feroy::4tlink: as a tri main but I start feeling the need to look for different characters since I want results. I don't know what I want. The characters I like and am good with are :4cloud::4corrin::4diddy::4fox::4link::4mario::4mewtwo::4peach::4pikachu::4feroy::4sheik::4tlink::4yoshi:. I love :4feroy::4tlink: but will they get me results paired within top tier? If so then which one is best?

Last edited:

Toxic0118

Smash Rookie
NNID
Touchme0118
Hey I haven't chosen a main for this game yet but I was wondering if there was a character that was mostly based around combos that I haven't Mained in other games so I don't mess up my other mains. My mains in other games are marth fox/Falco kirby and wolf

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman
Toxic0118 Toxic0118 Sure. I guess the biggest ones that come to mind are :4sheik:, :4greninja:, :4mario: and :4pikachu:. If you have access to DLC, :4bayonetta: and :4ryu: may also interest you. There are of course other options, but I'll leave you with those for now. :)

Top Bottom