• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The 'Mains' Advice Thread

:4ness::4lucas:, the ultimate pair. They have really similar movesets, yet somehow they cover each other's weaknesses.
:4mewtwo: is really really fast, just warning you. He's almost considerable as top tier though, and there's a lot of new players.
:4myfriends:... well, it's always good to have a swordfighter in your pocket. Mine is :4corrin:.

So to fit your criteria of unliked but still good, and similar to Ness, it's gotta be :4lucas:. Just make sure you can handle the tether grab.

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
For the record, Cloud is almost certainly better than Mario. However, both are very good and easy to pick up and play.

Everyone should have a pocket Cloud tbh. Unless you cannot afford him; in that case get some Mario practice under your belt.

I also recommend not playing five characters if you want to play in tournament. Most if not all of them will lack polish or will have gaps in your experience.
I want to get 5 for now then pick 2-3 after I practice.

MrRiyku MrRiyku If you're gonna use :4ness: have a partner who is harder to edge guard. :4lucas::4mewtwo: Are good secondaries. You will face people who can edge guard you 24/7 if you're :4ness: so defiantly have another character who they can't. I would recommend :4lucas: as the two play similarly so you get a lot of practice in with that style and they cover each others weaknesses. And against :rosalina: I think :4lucas: does alright but it will be tough.

Now for me I have a question. Is:4darkpit: a good secondary for:4feroy:? I'm looking at :4mario::4ness::4pikachu::rosalina:and:4sonic: as secondaries already and just wonder if I have any need for :4darkpit: or if I should let him go. Like does he provide any great cover for :4feroy: or do the others do it better?

Last edited:

Plesioth

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheBlackWaltzKeo
I'm here(again). This time with secondary advice AND needing personal advice.

So originally I was a Villager main, with Game and Watch as secondary since most of my time with smash 4(a year). I recently (around almost a month now) picked up Ryu as a pocket, to originally make up for the other two sometimes struggling to get the kill(Villager have trouble actually landing the kill onstage, and G&W struggle with getting the kill even more) and giving me a different playstyle besides zoner gimper and rushdown-ish gimper. Someone who can consistently get the kill, and someone with a strong ground game. Being a avid fan of Street Fighter, I picked up Ryu.

As it turn out, my 3 week old Ryu is already almost doing as well as my 1 year old villager and G&W. I have been getting compliments on FOR GLORY OF ALL PLACES on my Ryu play, along with having friends stating that my Ryu is on par or even better than my mains. I honestly do feel my Ryu would probably wind up better than my mains in a month time, considering that my G&W and Villager is becoming increasingly stagnant, and in the case of villager, I pretty much have to force myself to use her at times. I'm still somewhat decent with her, but she seem to be the actual pocket character at times(no pun intended). In the case of game and watch, I pretty much have to consistently outplay my opponent if they have any actual idea of the MU, considering he can't kill well besides gimps, but easy to actually die with. Before Ryu, he was basically my real main, and I picked up villager due to my love of the character, having a playstyle I enjoy, and being effective in high level play.

I think that I'm not using villager as much due to my sheer boredom of the playstyle itself. The only villager player that still entertain me is Ranai's, which is from him making villager a rushdown character and being a robot basically. Villager zoning is effective and can be fun with tree set ups, but outside of that, she bore me playstyle wise. In game and watch case, I'm just tired of lack of real results with him. I've been playing him for a year(technically since Melee, but this is my 1st serious smash game) and I feel like I barely got anywhere on a meaningful skill level. Basically I want to have fun AND get results, which is what attracted me to Ryu, and now other high tiers.

The thing that make me feel a little off is the fact that I considered myself a character loyalist, so to drop my melee main and my most wanted (Villager) for two characters for better results feel a bit, off. On one hand, I like the characters themselves, but on the other hand, I feel that I'm stagnating by sticking to those characters. I haven't felt an outright improvement like I gotten with Ryu with my main or secondary in what felt like months. So I'm picking between favorites or third favorite and a somewhat liked character.

So now I got the background info out the way, I am currently a Ryu main, who is looking for a secondary that is a nice contrast from from Ryu while still being good in their own right. I've been thinking either Mario for (imo too simple) simple rushdown that is easy to pick up, or Pikachu, a flashier, imo funner and better form of rushdown, but take even more technical knowledge than Ryu imo. So I'm picking between simple, effective, and boring or flashy, rare, but hard to master.

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
Wow that was long lol. Maybe try out :4corrin::4corrinf:or:4cloud: and see how you like them with :4ryu:. As for :4pikachu: vs :4mario: pick which ever one you like to play as more. Who is more fun. Sounds like pika is more fun so try him out. And if you don't get results with him then try Mario. But you should never use a character who is boring or just not fun. Always play characters you have fun with.

If you're looking for aggressive/ rush down characters who can consistently kill them you should try :4cloud::4corrin::4mewtwo::4ness::4feroy::4sonic: They all can kill with consisten kill set ups, awesome kill throws, or plain old hard hitting moves. I would say :4sonic: is maybe the least consistent to kill with out of that group but he can kill at like 60% and he will help :4ryu: deal with faster characters. Give these guys a try and see how you like them. Remember to use who is fun for you.

I'd say the main guidelines to picking mains/ secondaries is this;
1. They are fun to use
2. You do good with them
3.you have some kind of connection to the character or the franchise the character is from. For example I main :4feroy:. I have fun with him, do good with him, and I loved him in melee:roymelee: and love fire emblem. Eliwood (Roy's dad) is my second favorite character in the franchise next to Sain! (Hense my profile picture) I love the character and have fun using him. And I still get results. Another example is :4tlink:. My favorite game ever is Wind waker, and I've mained him in every previous smash game :younglinkmelee::toonlink:. I absolutely LOVE Toon/ Young Link. I wish I could be him. If not Sain. But that would be inSAIN! (Forgive the pun) but in smash 4 he just doesn't work for me. He looks amazing, it's still the same old toon link, but he plays so weirdly. It breaks my heart but I just can't use him and get good results. I cant win with him very much. So I had to force myself (after days of crying) to let him go.
Sometimes you have to draw the line and dump your favorite character if they aren't right for you. But you still should use others who you has be fun with. Just remember the three guidelines.
Fun to play
Good with
Have some connection/ reason why you want to play that specific character.

Disclaimer: I did not actually cry. Very much

Last edited:

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman
MrRiyku MrRiyku I'm going to take the opposite approach to this and say only choose :4lucas: if you can absolutely separate the two in your mind every time you play; he plays very differently from :4ness:, and if you make the mistake of accidentally trying to play like one when playing the other, the results can be disastrous, and honestly, it can be somewhat easy to fall victim to that problem just because their styles look similar and we're not always playing at the full 100% of our ability (I never do. LOL). So, just a warning, but if you can handle it, :4lucas: does have much better chances against :rosalina:. Otherwise, I'd say go for :4myfriends: if you like him that much; seems like people are dropping him these days, which is such a shame since he's been seeing buffs almost every patch.

Nice_FZPSC.42 Nice_FZPSC.42 To answer your question, as much as I respect :4darkpit:, the others do it better. Sorry :4darkpit:...

Plesioth Plesioth You may find :4mario: more interesting if you really push yourself to explore possible mix-ups besides the usual tried and true combos everyone knows at this point, but if not, play :4pikachu: if he's more fun for you. I think the fun factor affects how well one plays to some degree. Other possibilities not yet mentioned (and by the way, I wouldn't personally count :4corrin:/:4corrinf: as a predominantly rushdown sort of character since the last patch) are :4fox:and :4diddy:.

Last edited:

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
Ok so now I have :4mario::4ness::4pikachu::rosalina::4feroy::4sonic:. I've decided not to automatically main Roy and look more at my options. I also like :4lucas::4mewtwo::4zss::4corrin:if they help out with those 6 at all. So I'm still looking for advice to help me narrow down.

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
Ok then with :4feroy::4ness::4mario::4pikachu::rosalina::4corrin:what are the best groups of 2-3? I want to use Roy but if it's a lot better not to then I won't.

Last edited:

Antique_Gamer

Smash Apprentice
So, I have found quite a few characters I really enjoy playing. I still can't decide my top few though. My playstyle is random/adapting, as in I am called :133:in smash. My best characters are as follows: :4drmario::4littlemac::4mewtwo::4megaman::rosalina::4feroy::4ryu::4villager::4wiifitm::4morton: and :4miibrawl:.

If that doesn't help you find my playstyle, in other, fan-made games, I play Black Mage and Ichigo (in SSF2) and Klonoa and Krystal/Toad (in SSBC).

My moveset for Brawler is Uppercut, Onslaught, Helicopter Kick, and Feint Jump.

Last edited:

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
So, I have found quite a few characters I really enjoy playing. I still can't decide my top few though. My playstyle is random/adapting, as in I am called :133:in smash. My best characters are as follows: :4drmario::4littlemac::4mewtwo::4megaman::rosalina::4feroy::4ryu::4villager::4wiifitm::4morton: and :4miibrawl:.

If that doesn't help you find my playstyle, in other, fan-made games, I play Black Mage and Ichigo (in SSF2) and Klonoa and Krystal/Toad (in SSBC).

My moveset for Brawler is Uppercut, Onslaught, Helicopter Kick, and Feint Jump.
I've heard two pairs that you could try. One is :4feroy::rosalina:. They cover each other's weaknesses pretty well. Another is :4ryu::4villager: the two do the same. Try them out as a pair for covering match ups. As for "top few" is say it's :4mewtwo::rosalina::4ryu::4villager:. All top tier or very high tier

Last edited:

Antique_Gamer

Smash Apprentice
I've heard two pairs that you could try. One is :4feroy::rosalina:. They cover each other's weaknesses pretty well. Another is :4ryu::4villager: the two do the same. Try them out as a pair for covering match ups. As for "top few" is say it's :4mewtwo::rosalina::4ryu::4villager:. All top tier or very high tier
With gamecube controller (def controls + no tilt jump) my best is Ryu and Mew2. Otherwise, from what you gave me, I'd go villager or R&L.
Thanks!

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
Of course. You maybe have trouble with really fast characters so just get good with catching them with :4mewtwo:

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
Then use those 3. Otherwise sounds like :4ryu::4mewtwo: are good for you. :4miibrawl: Can be a pocket character if you have trouble.

I have a question I'd like to get a lot of feedback from if possible.is it better to use 2 or 3 characters? What does each number have pros/ cons?

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman
Nice_FZPSC.42 Nice_FZPSC.42 The majority will tell you two characters at most, but some players are able to handle more than that (Zero, Nairo, Anti, to name a couple). It really all comes down to what you can personally manage without sacrificing your performance, which takes time and experience to figure out. If you find you're not playing three characters to the best of your ability, then cut it down to two and try that; you can still keep the third character on the back burner as a pocket, but you just wouldn't be playing them very much compared to the other two.

Last edited:

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
Nice_FZPSC.42 Nice_FZPSC.42 The majority will tell you two characters at most, but some players are able to handle more than that (Zero, Nairo, Anti, to name a couple). It really all comes down to what you can personally manage without sacrificing your performance, which takes time and experience to figure out. If you find you're not playing three characters to the best of your ability, then cut it down to two and try that; you can still keep the third character on the back burner as a pocket, but you just wouldn't be playing them very much compared to the other two.
On that note then I need help narrowing it down to 3 out of :4corrin::4mario::4ness::4pikachu::rosalina::4feroy:

The reason I keep posting these is because I'm very indecisive on things and it's a miracle I've gotten the number down to 6 from like 15. I just want to hear opinions and info on match ups and how these characters cover each other. And I wanna know who covers who the best and who really needs coverage. If I can get some people to just pick 3 and tell me why they help each other and stuff. I have fun with all of these characters and I want to play to win. You can probably tell I play aggressively and like confirmed combos and kills/ kill set ups. If a character is really really hard to master I won't like then that much but i don't mind a challenge. Also if I've described another character in the roster please let me know. I wanna find the right character for me.

Last edited:

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman
Nice_FZPSC.42 Nice_FZPSC.42 First of all, I'm going to say keep :4feroy: since you've already made it clear that you love playing him, and he most definitely fits your playstyle, but he does indeed have limits and tends to struggle with the top tiers. His recovery special, though safer than some once activated, doesn't go all that far vertically, so he can be easy to gimp once off-stage against characters who excel out there (Rosalina, Villager, Pikachu, etc.). He's also combo food, similar to Captain Falcon. He's great if you can stay in your opponent's face and take full advantage of the base of his sword, but that of course isn't always possible, nor is it safe for you in certain instances since they'll also be in your face (Mario's extremely dangerous at close range, so you've got to watch yourself).

:rosalina: is probably the best out of your selection to cover as many MUs as possible, but even though she's easy to pick up for some, she is one of the hardest characters to master. She can play aggressively, but there's a constant mix of offense and defense. She's also pretty light, so if you aren't quite careful enough, she can get KO'd pretty early.
Instead of her, I'm going to recommend you work on :4mario:. Lots of confirmed combos, great KO options, barely struggles with anyone in the roster at this point (I said barely, but that's not to say he doesn't still have a tough time with a couple), and to top it all off, he also fits your playstyle! Thanks to his cape and fireballs, it's also much easier for him to move in than it is for :4feroy:.

So there we have it, your two most important characters could be :4feroy: and :4mario:, and as far as a pocket goes, perhaps :4corrin:; he doesn't exactly fit what you seem to be looking for, but I have reasons behind this choice. :4pikachu: has a high skill cap and actually has to work pretty hard for his kills, so I don't think he's all that suited for a pocket. :4ness: is also tricky at a high level of play, can struggle with recovery, and I can't really think of any particular reason why you'd need him with the other two... Corrin will at least provide some more defensive zoning if you need it, his up air poses more of a threat to opponents who are above you a lot of the time, he has a great counter, can edge-guard pretty safely (sometimes not even needing to go off-stage, which is good since his recovery has similar weaknesses to Roy's), and has a moveset that should be familiar to you for the most part. Think of him as your balanced fall-back, I guess.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Antique_Gamer

Smash Apprentice
On that note then I need help narrowing it down to 3 out of :4corrin::4mario::4ness::4pikachu::rosalina::4feroy:

The reason I keep posting these is because I'm very indecisive on things and it's a miracle I've gotten the number down to 6 from like 15. I just want to hear opinions and info on match ups and how these characters cover each other. And I wanna know who covers who the best and who really needs coverage. If I can get some people to just pick 3 and tell me why they help each other and stuff. I have fun with all of these characters and I want to play to win. You can probably tell I play aggressively and like confirmed combos and kills/ kill set ups. If a character is really really hard to master I won't like then that much but i don't mind a challenge. Also if I've described another character in the roster please let me know. I wanna find the right character for me.
Well, I have to ask, how do you generally play? Obstructive offense? Mindgames defence?

(In my personal opinions) Roy and Corrin would be your top two if you like to be more offensive, but keep Mario to switch with Roy if you prefer disruptive offensive. Rosalina and Ness would be good for more of a mindgame style. And Mario and Pikachu would be good if you want quick, combo plenty damage.

Just an FYI, all this I am basing off my own experience with these characters, from playing with and against them as well as videos on each of their "default" playstyles or differing players' playstyles.

One way you might better find who you want to main is sit down and play maybe 10 rounds of ten stock matches with each of your latest runner ups.

Last edited:

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
KniteBlargh KniteBlargh thanks so much that helps a lot.
Antique_Gamer Antique_Gamer you helped a lot too. I am now going to main :4feroy::4mario: and have :4corrin:as a pocket. I will also use a little bit:4pikachu: in case I feel like one of these guys doesn't work out for me. Thank you both it helped me out so much.

I am now a :4feroy:&:4mario: main with :4corrin: as a secondary.

Last edited:

Antique_Gamer

Smash Apprentice
KniteBlargh KniteBlargh thanks so much that helps a lot.
Antique_Gamer Antique_Gamer you helped a lot too. I am now going to main :4feroy::4mario: and have :4corrin:as a pocket. I will also use a little bit:4pikachu: in case I feel like one of these guys doesn't work out for me. Thank you both it helped me out so much.

I am now a :4feroy:&:4mario: main with :4corrin: as a secondary.
Good luck! I hope to meet you on the battlefield someday. Show you some of my mindgame stuff. I'm not one of those players who mained fox in Melee, hated playing as him actually, but my boomerang tech is (yes IS not 'was') almost on point.

Vs::4morton::4villager::4pacman::4miibrawl::4wiremac::4ryu::4megaman::4drmario::4mewtwo:
BTW I don't actually own a WiiU/3DS yet, so don't bother with all that NNID stuff...

Last edited:

MrRiyku

Smash Rookie
Thank you guys for all the insight.

For me, after playing for a few day its come down to :4myfriends: and :4mewtwo:. I'm currently really liking :4mewtwo: but I'm not sure if it's because I naturally play good with him, or the the person I play with isn't use to the MU. And I'm still holding on to :4myfriends: because I have a little more experience with him, and I feel he fits my play style.

For now, I'll just wait and test them playing friendlies at my local tournament coming up.

I'm also open to character suggestions

Antique_Gamer

Smash Apprentice

For me, after playing for a few day its come down to :4myfriends: and :4mewtwo:. I'm currently really liking :4mewtwo: but I'm not sure if it's because I naturally play good with him, or the the person I play with isn't use to the MU. And I'm still holding on to :4myfriends: because I have a little more experience with him, and I feel he fits my play style.

For now, I'll just wait and test them playing friendlies at my local tournament coming up.

Maybe try some of the miis or try playing on random if you are still open to different playstyles.

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14

Have :4ryu: as your main, and :4mewtwo: as a secondary. Then also keep :4myfriends: as a pocket character

Razmord

Smash Rookie
So, I got a training partner that is a lot better than me, which is great, and he totally destroys me if I use :4darkpit: or :4sheik:, but I can give a fight and usually take the first stock and deal a decent amount of % if I play :4marth:, even though I don't train my Marth at all. I don't dislike Marth as a character, but the thing is, I use him in Melee and :marthmelee: is so much better than :4marth:. Even if I do well, I feel really underpowered when I use him, plus I make silly mistakes because I remember :marthmelee: or even :marth: and I go for things :4marth: can't do. So, if I do well with Marth, abusing a lot of SH Fair, BD, and his tilts to space, playing a more patient style, what others characters should I do well with?

PD:I'll repost the characters I "hate" so you don't suggest them for nothing: :4bayonetta::4cloud::4littlemac::4yoshi::4mario:

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
Marth Snip
Okay, lemme get this out of the way right now. If your primary aerial with :4marth: is FAir, YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!
:4marth: Prefers NAir in neutral this game vs. FAir for reasons :4marth: boards will tell you. *Ahem* Anyways....

:4corrin::4corrinf: Lacks Marth's mobility, but more than makes up for it with overall reach, has :marthmelee:'s FAir, and thanks to range can threaten with presence alone.
:4pit::4darkpit: Are another viable alternative. Easy to pick up, use the same fundamentals as Marth, and either one will do.
:4myfriends: Like Marth, Ike thrives off of footsies. Plus, he comes with a solid grab game. Can feel abit slow at times, but Ryo's gameplay shows off how fluidly this character can be.
:4mewtwo: Really good footsies with DTilt and his buffed mobility specs.

Those are the guys off the top of my head.

Antique_Gamer

Smash Apprentice
So, I got a training partner that is a lot better than me, which is great, and he totally destroys me if I use :4darkpit: or :4sheik:, but I can give a fight and usually take the first stock and deal a decent amount of % if I play :4marth:, even though I don't train my Marth at all. I don't dislike Marth as a character, but the thing is, I use him in Melee and :marthmelee: is so much better than :4marth:. Even if I do well, I feel really underpowered when I use him, plus I make silly mistakes because I remember :marthmelee: or even :marth: and I go for things :4marth: can't do. So, if I do well with Marth, abusing a lot of SH Fair, BD, and his tilts to space, playing a more patient style, what others characters should I do well with?

PD:I'll repost the characters I "hate" so you don't suggest them for nothing: :4bayonetta::4cloud::4littlemac::4yoshi::4mario:
Try some of the other swordsmen. You might like some of the spacing Shulk and Link get. I don't know much about Cloud, and, like you said, you "hate" him. Is that playing AS or AGAINST? Link has pretty good spacing with his projectiles, plus, if you angle it right, you can edge-guard with the boomerang, bombs and sometimes arrows.

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman
Razmord Razmord There's something wrong here... :4darkpit: should be getting you similar results (at the very least) even playing the spacing game unless you're using laggy moves like his side special too frequently. Who does your partner play? If you haven't already, consider saving replays of matches with your partner, then watching them to identify the reason your partner is destroying you.

Razmord

Smash Rookie
Try some of the other swordsmen. You might like some of the spacing Shulk and Link get. I don't know much about Cloud, and, like you said, you "hate" him. Is that playing AS or AGAINST? Link has pretty good spacing with his projectiles, plus, if you angle it right, you can edge-guard with the boomerang, bombs and sometimes arrows.
I have no particular problem facing cloud, I just don't enjoy playing him, and I tried using him for a month when he came out, started hype, got boring. Shulk seems more fitting to me than Link, I'm bad at managing projectiles. I feel he may be too laggy for me though.

Razmord Razmord There's something wrong here... :4darkpit: should be getting you similar results (at the very least) even playing the spacing game unless you're using laggy moves like his side special too frequently. Who does your partner play? If you haven't already, consider saving replays of matches with your partner, then watching them to identify the reason your partner is destroying you.
Yeah, I know is weird, I have invested quite a bit of time on DP but nothing on Marth recently, so I was confused when I randomly picked marth and suddenly he tells me my marth is much better. I don't use side b unless I see something I can either punish or be sure he won't punish me if I fail. Next time I play him I'll record a few games with both. He plays :4feroy: and :4littlemac: btw.

Since LordShade67 has also said :4darkpit: uses the same fundamentals, I think I might have been using him completely wrong. I'll try to se whats wrong, but if I keep struggling with him I may just switch to :4corrinf::4shulk::4myfriends::4mewtwo: if one of them clicks and he doesn't.

Antique_Gamer

Smash Apprentice
I have no particular problem facing cloud, I just don't enjoy playing him, and I tried using him for a month when he came out, started hype, got boring. Shulk seems more fitting to me than Link, I'm bad at managing projectiles. I feel he may be too laggy for me though.

Yeah, I know is weird, I have invested quite a bit of time on DP but nothing on Marth recently, so I was confused when I randomly picked marth and suddenly he tells me my marth is much better. I don't use side b unless I see something I can either punish or be sure he won't punish me if I fail. Next time I play him I'll record a few games with both. He plays :4feroy: and :4littlemac: btw.

Since LordShade67 has also said :4darkpit: uses the same fundamentals, I think I might have been using him completely wrong. I'll try to se whats wrong, but if I keep struggling with him I may just switch to :4corrinf::4shulk::4myfriends::4mewtwo: if one of them clicks and he doesn't.
For now, I suggest playing some 10 stock rounds as different characters against your buddy to try and get a better feel for some characters, probably weeding out some 'bad' characters in the process.
Any way, good luck. Hope you find a main soon. Another tournament should be coming up soon.

Last edited:

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
Keep playing:4marth:. If you really want to switch use other swordsmen like :4shulk::4robinm: and stuff.

I came up with a plan to help a lot of people pick mains if they're looking for top tiers. I want to get people to talk about the strengths and weaknesses about these top15 characters in the game. I'll start. (This is not in order)
:4mario:Amazingly well rounded, combo's forever, great matchups, just a beast upclose. He doesn't have very good range so he can get out-ranged. Also he doesn't like swords. Ally does a great job displaying Mario's potential.
:rosalina:Amazing defense, great tag team combos and can be really hard to play against. But if Luma is gone she is very vulnerable. But still has amazing matchups and is a contender for being #1. Dabuz shows just how good she is.
:4diddy:Hoo-Hah! Great combo game, kill set ups, and great projectiles make this little monkey a great rushdown character. Recovery is great but easily gimpable. Great matchups but not the best. ZeRo shows off the best of Diddy.
:4sheik:Nerf :(... BUT THAT FRAME DATA THOUGH! Despite the nerf Sheik is still very good, virtualy the same with just less camping ability and less consistency/ constant set ups at high %. ZeRo, VoiD, and MR. R all show off how good this ninja lady still is.
:4zss:Let's face it the nerf moved ZSS down maybe 1 spot on the tier list. Still amazing combos and set ups as well as still maintaining the greatest punish game. Looses to shield and small characters can be annoying. Nairo and Marss display her deadliness.
:4fox:Great combos, great speed, great recovery, overall really good aggresive character. Doesn't have the greatest matchups against some of the top tiers but still has good matchups all around. Larry Lurr is a great example of a beastly Fox
:4pikachu:In my opinion one of the most underratted characters in the game, this electric mouse hits you with great combos, great kill set ups, and one of the best recovery in the game! He also hits with electricity to he cause more hit stun. ESAM really shows off Pika's goodies when he wins.
:4ness:Greatest throws in the game. Best kill throw, great combo throw, good projectiles. Ness is a very easy character to use but gets harder at top level play. He has amazing tools and is one of the best killers in the game. He lacks in a recovery. It has a short range and can be gimped if the opponent is fast or prepared, but if they slip up it's their doom.
:4villager:This creepy little f***. With really cool things he can do with his set ups and projectiles, Villager is a great character. No one in the cast really beats up on him besides Rosalina, but he doesn't have the greatest matchup. Good, not great. Ranai from Japan dominates with Villager.
:4sonic:Gotta go fast! He's really fast, has a great recovery, good combos, and great up-throw to up-b to -up air kills at 60%-70%! And a jab lock at 90%-110%! He's just a really good charater. If only he had a projectile... Komorikiri from Japan shows off Sonic very well.
:4mewtwo:This is a suprise I know. With his speed and weight buff aswell as up-smash and Nair buffs, Mewtwo can really show off his glass cannon powers, and he's a little harder to kill which is nice. He is very good a racking up damage and have great kill power. Abadango does a great job with Mewtwo.
:4ryu:The Street Fighter can beat you up with crazy combos and hard hitting moves. Great recovery too. The only thing is he isn't very fast, has a bad grab game, and is dificult to play if you aren't familiar with the old Street fighter games. Even with that he has a high skill cap. Regardless he is a very good character. 9B from Japan does great with him.
:4cloud:Despite the lack of a good grab game, Cloud have great combos, kill potential, and hits hard and racks up damage fast. He has great range and speed. Also has his crazy limit break kill abilities. But his recover (not limit break) is really bad and easy to beat. Komorikiri plays Cloud very well.
:4corrin:Best range in the game and has a tipper. He's got great range and approach/ mix-ups with his side-b and neutral-b. He isn't the most mobile character and his recovery could be better, but his combos, counter, and crazy range make him a force to be reconded with. ESAM shows off Corrin pretty well.
:4bayonetta:Terrible neutral. Bad grounded approach. BUT her combos. Her crazy 0-death combos. And don't get me started on witch time. Ugh she's stupid. (I dont think she needs to be banned though) She's good. You all know about her. Komorikiri and 9B do really good with her.

If anyone is wondering who the next 5 would be to make top 20 I'd say its (not in order)
[:4darkpit:/:4pit:]:4lucas::4lucario::4rob::4greninja:. maybe:4yoshi::4tlink::4falcon::4metaknight::4peach:

Last edited:
Well, you nailed the "top tier". Nice work. But next time, put it under a spoiler to conserve space. I assume you're pretty new to gaming forums in general. (then again, I'm sort of a newb myself, what am I to say)

I'll build on this.

If you like having your metagame established and cut out for you (an easy way to win, btw) pick one of those 15. (by any chance did you copy-paste my list from earlier? I listed those exact 15 sans Corrin)
If you don't like to be mainstream, a good place to start is the "high tiers" like :4falcon::4rob::4greninja: and them.
If you like to pick an original character that still has a developing metagame, go with a "mid tier" like :4shulk::4wiifit::4olimar:.
And if you've got something to prove, do what I did and play a recently buffed character. I recommend :4zelda::4charizard::4samus:

Last edited:

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
I agree with your list. Also if you're someone who wants to prove something then pick up :4yoshi:. He's great potential just waiting for someone to make a name for him. Same goes for :4peach:

Sometime later today is be open to fighting people who want one on one experience and feed back on their mains. I have good knowledge on the top tiers and most of the high tiers as well as a lot of lower ranked characters. I know a lot about most of the cast. I'd also love to get feed back on my characters. Just message me if you want to

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Is :4dk: worth picking up?

After dropping :4dedede: I've been craving for a superheavy fix, and I don't like :4bowser: or :4charizard:.

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman
@Feelicks That would probably depend on what makes a character worth it to you, but DK's great in this game. :) See Hikaru's gameplay for some examples; he recently made it into grand finals against Komorikiri in one tourney. He did end up losing to Komorikiri's Sonic, but still, worth noting. Other more known players are, of course, Average Joe and DK Will.
Some would seem to debate that Bowser is better than DK now, but both characters see so little action, there really isn't enough concrete evidence yet to say either way, seems to me.

Maybe try :4bowserjr:. Believe it or not, he (or she if it's :4wendy:) is a heavyweight, and has a projectile game close to Dedede's. Many people aren't sure if he's horrible or if he's secretly awesome, because he's very rarely used, and the player that was finally getting those results (Tweek) has joined the :4cloud: army.

DK is a grappler more than a heavyweight, but still packs a punch with every hit, and has five meteors. He and :4myfriends: are the most popular heavies right now. There's plenty more than just the four you mentioned.

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
@Feelicks all of the "heavy" characters in the game would be :4bowser::4bowserjr::4charizard::4dedede::4dk::4ganondorf::4myfriends::4link:. Are you looking for slow but hard hitters? What do you mean by superheavy fix?

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
By superheavy I mean :4bowser::4ganondorf::4charizard::4dk::4dedede:. I already play :4myfriends:.
Then :4dk: is very good in this game. Also :4charizard: got incredibly buffed and is a lot better. :4bowser::4dedede: Both are pretty good too. Not as good as DK and charizard. As for :4ganondorf: just play:4falcon: instead. And :4link: is pretty heavy you should give him a shot. He's pretty good. Between DK and Bowser. Around charizard tier ranking wise. But right now your best bet is :4dk:.

Right now you will loose heavily to :4cloud::4corrin:. If I were you I'd pick up a pocket character who can handle them.

Last edited:

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
He still a heavy character even if he's the lightest of them. Anyways @Feelicks idcsay since you already use :4myfriends: then try :4dk:and:4link:. :4dk: Is just flat out good and :4link: will help you with match ups due to having great projectiles.
You could even use all 3.

This is off topic but can we get sakuri to bring back :icsmelee::popo: please? Even if just for wii u people would be fine with it. They were so fun and so good.

Last edited:
Top Bottom