• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The 'Mains' Advice Thread

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
Fox is close to what you want.

If you're looking for a character who's more based on that playstyle, Meta Knight, Ryu, and Zero Suit are your best options.

However, if you mind weaker characters overall, Donkey Kong, Bowser, and Ike work for bait and punish.

Last edited:

the_muffin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
muffinduck01
Any character that hits like a truck is going to be a good bait and punish character. I play bait and punish primarily, and :4myfriends::4bowser::4mewtwo: and :4ganondorf: are my personal go-tos, but others have success with :4dk: and :4dedede:. Of those :4myfriends: and :4dk: are probably the most viable in tournament settings.

Bait and punish with aggression? The Mario Bros. may suit your needs. In fact, :4mario: has a few of Fox's best tools as well, albeit with a slower movement speed. :4luigi: simply has the best punish in the game (outside of Rest, but Jiggs isn't worth your time atm)

Last edited:

Chalice

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Tenkenjin
Fox is close to what you want.

If you're looking for a character who's more based on that playstyle, Meta Knight, Ryu, and Zero Suit are your best options.

However, if you mind weaker characters overall, Donkey Kong, Bowser, and Ike work for bait and punish.
Fox has been my main for the past several months now. Many times I feel like my punish game ends up too weak, predictable, and out of place so I guess at this point I just need to get more consistent with my kill set ups, reads into those set ups, and my neutral in general. I feel like I have no problem racking up damage most of the time and it's just my consistency in killing people

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
Well that's where ZSS, Ryu, and Meta Knight fill the gap.

They get hitconfirms? You will most likely end up dead, or eat a huge chunk of damage..

Try all three of them out in training mode. See who you like.

Last edited:

TDOB

Smash Rookie
NNID
TDoobie
So, being an avid fighting game player, I picked up Smash 4 at the request of a high-level friend maybe a month and a half ago. This soon, however, I'm having a lot of issues with committing to characters for a few reasons. I prefer heavier zoning characters that aren't input-heavy because of some hand issues I have. I can do timing, but rapid complex "twitch" inputs border on painful.

I learned :4greninja: with him and enjoyed him a lot, but the sheer input intensiveness (stuff like shorthop fastfall nairs, b-reverse shurikens and foostool combos) has made it really hard to learn more stuff with him. In revenge I followed my heart and picked up :4charizard:, who I love and have vehemently tried to play well, but bad matchups are making it really hard to persevere. I know you shouldn't drop a character you love just because of tiers, but it's getting ridiculous. (zard's bair landing lag hurts more than any hand cramps ever could.) I don't know how many R.O.B. matches I can play before throwing everything out and giving up on it all.

I've tested and toyed with other characters like :4littlemac:, :4bowser:, :4myfriends: and :4dedede: but I haven't immediately stuck to them like I have with zard. I guess in a sense I want something similar to him but more versatile so I can keep my morale up and, hopefully, start a proper career with this game.

I might keep trying to work zard, but I'll need a serious surge of hope to push much harder with him.

Last edited:

Chalice

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Tenkenjin
Out of all of them Meta Knight feels more smooth for me. ZSS seems to slide all over the place for me while Ryu feels to clunky. I can do his hit confirms into true Shoryuken but not while I'm under pressure. Meta Knight I just gotta practice his up air combo more. A lot.

I agree, man- :4greninja: should get a frame data fix in this patch. Several of his attacks whiff for strange reasons (smashes, hydro pump, up air) and/or have weird deceptive startup lag (standing grab, nair, fair, substitute). I'd be comfortable double maining him again if those were fixed.

A character that does not require very advanced inputs would be :4ness:. Outside of PK Thunder, he has very little advanced tech required. (though B-Reverse PK Fire cancelling is very useful, coming from a Lucas POV)

Marthmario

Smash Lord
After viewing the latest tier list... it hit a bit too hard for me and my mains. I've been very adamant about maining: :4marth::4lucina::4feroy::4ryu:, but it seems like Ryu is the only viable one. I have a lot of character loyalty towards all four characters, but I feel like if I keep working with these characters, I'll just stunt my growth as a player. So I've basically come to the conclusion that drops may be in order, but I'm still not sure. I've played Marth since Melee, and I'm not dropping him. But what about Roy and Lucina? Should I keep pressing forward with them? Should I only drop one? Should I just stick with Ryu? Please help. :cry:

Chalice

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Tenkenjin
Ask yourself this:

Why play Lucina when Marth exists? Plus, you just mentioned you've been playing Marth since Melee so this is a drop that shouldn't be so hard.

As for Roy, he's more close to Melee than any other character so if you like that feeling then keep Roy.

As for maining a tournament viable character that is a top 10 character, you got Ryu so keep working with him

TLDR: Main Ryu and keep Marth and/or Roy as pocket characters

Last edited:
Roy is underrated. He debuted on most tier lists in A tier. His 2 primary weaknesses are his recovery and lack of projectile. Keep him, but he needs a secondary and Ryu is perfect for that.

Marthmario

Smash Lord
Ask yourself this:

Why play Lucina when Marth exists? Plus, you just mentioned you've been playing Marth since Melee so this is a drop that shouldn't be so hard.

As for Roy, he's more close to Melee than any other character so if you like that feeling then keep Roy.

As for maining a tournament viable character that is a top 10 character, you got Ryu so keep working with him

TLDR: Main Ryu and keep Marth and/or Roy as pocket characters
I really only play Lucina because she's one of my favorite characters, but at least between Marth and Lucina are easy to switch between.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Well, picking from Lucina or Marth IMO is a question of playstyle. Both have potential to get very early kills, but both have the same problems regarding endlag in their moves.
Marth, for me, is if you're confident you can hit the tip always so you're not just playing massively nerfed Lucina. So you need to be smart, space a lot more, play more defensively.
Lucina is if you want to be more free and not have the tip limit your options. Some of Lucina's moves kill far later than Marth's (Marth's fully charged and tippered S-Smash kills Mario mid-stage at mid 40s, Lucina's kills at about 75, Marth's non tippered kills at 100) while there are moves that very surprisingly don't have much difference (Lucina's Shield Breaker kills only 17% later than Marth's at the absolute latest, while Marth's non tippered kills almost 30 pecent later than Lucie's).

I can safely say this is a matter of preference and you should pick either one of them based on preference rather than what people or even stats might tell you. The tip does doodly squat if you don't hit it.

Haven't played :4bayonetta:, but from watching gameplay she's not broken. I placed her 8th on my 1.1.3 tier list.
:4corrin: is great. I'd say he's in the Falcon and Yoshi zone. I'm picking him up as a secondary because he's impressively technical, and a moveset like that deserves representation.

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
After viewing the latest tier list... it hit a bit too hard for me and my mains. I've been very adamant about maining: :4marth::4lucina::4feroy::4ryu:, but it seems like Ryu is the only viable one. I have a lot of character loyalty towards all four characters, but I feel like if I keep working with these characters, I'll just stunt my growth as a player. So I've basically come to the conclusion that drops may be in order, but I'm still not sure. I've played Marth since Melee, and I'm not dropping him. But what about Roy and Lucina? Should I keep pressing forward with them? Should I only drop one? Should I just stick with Ryu? Please help. :cry:
If your goal is to do consistently well in a tournament and competitive setting, then Ryu is your best bet. His very high damage output along with his very strong neutral means that players that put enough time into learning him are rewarded greatly.

That isn't to say that you need to drop all your other characters completely. You can still use them just for fun. Before Ryu was released, I mained Palutena, and even though I will pretty much never use her in a ranked match or a tournament anymore, I still like to occasionally pull her out just for fun when nothing is on the line.

Last edited:

Chalice

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Tenkenjin
Marth and Roy got massive buffed this patch. Definitely consider putting more time into them because these massive buffs could potentially shoot them up the tier list. Marth has new/more consisntent kill confirms and Roy got end lag reduction on all his aerials meaning he can do more combos quickly and pressure more effectively

That said, I personally still wouldn't go back to maining Roy because I always hated getting projectile camped. But as a former Roy/Marth main these buffs make me so happy for them

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
It's a good day for Marth, Lucina and Roy fans everywhere.
Our mains got a bit more usable, now. It's good.

D

Deleted member

This has been on my mind for a while..

How reliable is:4cloud:as a secondary/co-main? I'm asking because for a good while now I felt like my Wario has been way too inconsistent, and I've been finding far more success with Cloud and feel far more comfortable in a lot of high tier MUs with him than I do Wario, especially with Wario's mediocre reward on hit, trouble KOing without Waft and lack of range biting him in that regard. I still am gonna play Wario, but I don't wanna co-main him anymore. Cloud seems to fit me perfectly, especially with his disjoints and the way he can weave his attacks together.

:4dedede::4wario::4myfriends::4ness::4mewtwo:

This here is my current squad. I don't want to focus on a lot of characters, especially since I'm starting to go to more tournaments. Any advice on that as well?

SamStark

Smash Rookie
NNID
samueldelsolar
I guys, I need wisdom from all of you.
So I just started to play SSB4 about 3 months ago. I only played Smash 64 before so I picked :4falcon:as my main. I have been practicing with him a lot and I became decent with the character, but I have come to learn that he does not completely fit my playstyle. I don't like how he struggles so much against characters with projectiles and good spacing game (:4sheik::rosalina::4diddy::4pikachu::4zss::4megaman: etc). I also don't like how he has little potential for creativity and mix-ups. Basically, everybody I play against knows the match-up or downloads me very quickly after some matches. I also don't like how I can get gimped so easily by so many characters with better recoveries. So I have decided to look elsewhere for a character that I enjoy better.

I feel like I'm more of a rushdown type of player. I thought Falcon was a rushdown character but he is more of a bait and punish type. I like to be the aggressor and apply constant pressure to my opponent.

These are some of the things I'm looking for:
- Playing an aggressive style that has lots of ways to mix up and attack opponents while being able to get out quickly
- At least a decent recovery that doesn't easily get gimped
- Kill potential with many moves (:4falcon: actually has this)
- Good edgeguarding and offstage presence
- Decent grab game (I can never expect a better grab game than :4falcon: but I would hope for something decent)
- Good neutral game

So I more or less narrowed it down to the following options, but I still can't really make up my mind:
:4zss:: I seem to be drawn to fast, agile characters with long reach, so I'm heavily considering her. My only concern is that I keep hearing people saying that her neutral game is awkward and not so good as some of the others. Is this true?
:4fox:: I think he is insanely fast and can be played very aggressively but I don't have any experience with him so I'm not sure if he would fit my criteria
:4sheik:: Pretty much everyone agrees that she is the best character in the game and would probably fit my criteria, but how come I don't see too many shiek players around? Especially good ones. Is she too hard to play?
:4diddy:: I have no experience with him but he looks like a lot of fun. I don't really know if he is a rushdown tbh.
:4bayonetta:: Just came out and she picked my interest but nobody really knows yet what her true potential is.
:4sonic:: My favorite video game character. It would probably please me to have him as my main but I don't really know if he fits the criteria that I'm looking for since I haven't played him too much.
:4pikachu:: Another one of my favorite characters of all time. But just like Shiek, I don't see too many people using him successfully. Is he also too hard to play effectively?

I have already picked :4mario: and :4cloud:as "secondaries" just because they are very fundamental characters that I can just go back to whenever I want to see how much have my fundamentals improved. They were not difficult to pick so I'm happy with them.

If you noticed that all the characters I mentioned happen to be at least high tier, it's because they are. I'm looking to play this game competitively and it just so happens that most of the rushdown characters are at least high tier. I'm not looking to play sword, one trick ponies, or zoning characters. I'm okay with playing lower tiers for fun but I want to give myself a good chance at tournaments so I want a character with lots of potential.

If I missed any character that you think might fit my playstyle, please mention it and why.

Thank you guys!!! Any help you can give is greatly appreciated <3

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
Hello and welcome to the Smashboards! Let me dissect your post:
:4zss:: I seem to be drawn to fast, agile characters with long reach, so I'm heavily considering her. My only concern is that I keep hearing people saying that her neutral game is awkward and not so good as some of the others. Is this true?
Yes, that is all kind of true. You also need to be somewhat careful with her, since she has a somewhat tall frame and is light, so she can be hit somewhat easily and KOd early. Also, she has a grapple, which means she has the option to use Z-Air, tether to ledges from afar and her grab is a tether grab. Which means her grab has infinitely more range than all of the other non-tether grabs in the game, but to compensate, the animation is comically long, so if you miss it, you'll get punished hard.

:4fox:: I think he is insanely fast and can be played very aggressively but I don't have any experience with him so I'm not sure if he would fit my criteria
When you said "Strong rushdown character with good grab game that's not Captain Falcon", I instantly thought of Fox. He probably would fit you, you won't know until you try a couple of matches with him. Hell, I didn't know I'd fit :4darkpit:until I tried him.

:4sonic:: My favorite video game character. It would probably please me to have him as my main but I don't really know if he fits the criteria that I'm looking for since I haven't played him too much.
I'd also recommend you to try Sonic out, but, nowadays... yes, Sonic is still Top 10, but his kill power has been nerfed. Hard. Back Throw is a kill throw at somewhat decent percents, Forward Throw is also a kill throw but only at much higher percents and if you're with rage, Side Smash is good, Up Smash is okay, but it's more of an anti-air move than something you'd use against someone in the ground, and Back Air kills very reliably if you get the sweetspot. That's it for single moves, the rest of his methods of killing involve combos, and combos are a different story.

:4sheik:: Pretty much everyone agrees that she is the best character in the game and would probably fit my criteria, but how come I don't see too many shiek players around? Especially good ones. Is she too hard to play?
You mean around where? For Glory? Yes, she is hard to play. Atleast harder than all of the other Top and High Tiers. She is the best character in the game, pretty much, but you should probably only dump the 200-300 hours into learning absolutely everything about her and getting good with her only if you have the time to spare or if you really want to do so well at Smash that you can play at National level.

:4pikachu:: Another one of my favorite characters of all time. But just like Shiek, I don't see too many people using him successfully. Is he also too hard to play effectively?
IMO Pika is hard but you shouldn't take my word for it in this. I mean, I was a solo Mario main for 8 years, of course other characters would feel difficult in comparsion. And... we only have ESAM playing Pika at big tournaments, I think. Pika is a bit underrepresented, sure, he's good, but it makes people doubt if he's Top Tier or not.

I have already picked :4mario: and :4cloud:as "secondaries" just because they are very fundamental characters that I can just go back to whenever I want to see how much have my fundamentals improved. They were not difficult to pick so I'm happy with them.
IMO, Mario is far better as a secondary than Cloud. Cloud, for me, is someone you play as a primary. Mario has an okay matchup with all the Top Tiers (I don't know how his matchup is with Fox, but since Melee, Mario can extremely easily shutdown all of Fox's recoveries if you're confident in your ability to use the cape), and most of his bad matchups are lower tier characters (floatier swordsmen, basically) so you won't run into those often.
Cloud isn't bad as a secondary or anything... but I feel Mario covers matchups in general better than him, which makes him more useful as a secondary.

TL;DR: You should try Fox, maybe Sonic, and if you want a secondary, Mario is cool.

:4sonic: seems like your best choice. He is the fastest character in the game, has two options for combo starters in the two spin dashes, and has some insane aerial KO combos. :4pikachu: is likewise a good pick, and the fact that there's not many other Pika players out there is an added bonus.

Edit to conserve space- Someone who covers Villager's weaknesses? Well, :4megaman: and :4pacman: play very similarly to Villager, but have different matchups, or you could just go all-out aggressive and pick up :4yoshi:.

Last edited:

SkippyJ

Smash Apprentice
I main villager, and i secondary jigglypuff. Jigglypuff is my favorite character so ive kept her as my second since the 3ds version, but in light of her remaining unbuffed, i think its time to (at least partially) part ways.

Im looking for a character that can cover some of villagers weaknesses to disjoints and rush down characters. More specifically, i want a character that plays aggressive. Villager is especially good at keeping pressure on at mid-range, now i want a character that can get up in my opponents face. In the image i tried to attatch, i crossed off some characters that i just DONT want to play (:4sonic::4mario::4darkpit::4pit::4zelda::4charizard::4ganondorf:). Beyond that, im up to anything. I would prefer a character that is at least a tier LOWER than villager (because 1. im afraid the character would start to shift my focus off of villager and tempt me to switch mains and 2. Its nice to help develop the meta) but im willing to consider higher tier characters as well.

Last edited:

Laken64

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-0523-8094
Hello I main :4corrin:and I love him as a technical character. However I have been looking for a co-main in two of the DLC characters, :4cloud2: and :4ryu:. I have been bouncing on who to choose to buy and use.
:4cloud2: looks awesome but the question I have is what kind of playstyle is most fitting (or type of character he is) for him? Also people have been saying that Cloud struggles to kill w/o LB, how true is this?

:4ryu: is another technical character that has awesome moves and potential with inputted moves but how hard is it to learn those inputs on the 3DS? sometimes my circle pad does stuff like D smash when I meant D tilt.

A Secondary I'm looking into (since i'm buying a $10 card) is :4mewtwo: how much better is he after the buffs? Does he still play heavily defensive as he did before?

Anyways thanks for your responses :)

D

Deleted member

Hello I main :4corrin:and I love him as a technical character. However I have been looking for a co-main in two of the DLC characters, :4cloud2: and :4ryu:. I have been bouncing on who to choose to buy and use.
:4cloud2: looks awesome but the question I have is what kind of playstyle is most fitting (or type of character he is) for him? Also people have been saying that Cloud struggles to kill w/o LB, how true is this?

:4ryu: is another technical character that has awesome moves and potential with inputted moves but how hard is it to learn those inputs on the 3DS? sometimes my circle pad does stuff like D smash when I meant D tilt.

A Secondary I'm looking into (since i'm buying a $10 card) is :4mewtwo: how much better is he after the buffs? Does he still play heavily defensive as he did before?

Anyways thanks for your responses :)
I feel like Cloud will be a better secondary for you as opposed to Ryu, mostly due to the conditions you're in. Cloud's a high tier as does very well against most of the cast, so it's nice to have a character like that under your belt. Ryu requires a good amount of precision to play and has inputs for his moves you need to know, which isn't very pleasant to try to pull off on 3DS.

Mewtwo is a good secondary, but requires having good fundamentals and knowledge of defensive play. Mewtwo has a very large frame and is the second-lightest character in the game, so he has high potential be be combo'd and juggled, then killed early as a result. You have to be very careful as this character, despite his high damage output and kill power. He's much better than most people say, and definitely a solid mid-tier.

luky7dayz

Smash Rookie
NNID
luky7dayz
3DS FC
3024-9260-9272
Im thinking its time i drop :4shulk:for any competitive matches, while he's fun, he definitely isn't getting another buff anytime soon. Im thinking of switching to :4corrin:since he has a similar style but better in almost every way, with :4ryu: as a secondary (I've put a lot of time into :4ryu: as of late, he's so fun!)

does anyone ever feel bad dropping their mains for better/newer characters?

SamStark

Smash Rookie
NNID
samueldelsolar
Never feel bad about dropping your main. Part of improving is learning about yourself and adapting accordingly. As your fundamental skills progress, you may find that your strengths lie in areas in which your original main may not be particularly strong at.

You can always use Shulk as your fun character anyway, even if he's not your tournament go-to character.

As for your question. I find that :4cloud: is more similar to Shulk than anybody else. A lot of his moves are the same but with better frame data.

SkippyJ

Smash Apprentice
Since nobody responded im going to try and reiterate my question.

Im looking for an aggressive, in your face kind of rush down character, preferably around mid teir. Furthermore, i would like him/her to at least somewhat deal with my weakness against disjoints and other rushdown characters. I currently have it narrowed down to zss, fox, metanight, yoshi, greninja, roy, wii fit, and marth. I dont want a character that i have to memorize any very specific character dependent percentages in order to play effectivly, as this is going to be a seconday, so maybe that rules out some of the ones listed above, tho i would be willing to put in some extra work with Greninja and metaknight if they best fit what i want (that is, they are especially clutch and in your face).

Note: i dont mind input technicality so long as its not super percent based. And i main villager who does poorly against sheild w/ his terrible grab and all, so a nice vs sheild game would be awesome!

Last edited:
It's gonna be a long one here.
SkippyJ SkippyJ - It was in an edit on one of my posts, so I'll move it down here. :4megaman: and :4pacman: play very similarly to Villager, but have different matchups, or you could just go all-out aggressive and pick up :4yoshi:, who I believe to be one of the most underrated rushdown characters.

Bad News Bad News - :4ryu: is in the top tier on my current tier list and is the first one below it on the official one. Put more work into his strategical combos and you'll win, no doubt. Pick up a swordsman as a double main. I suggest... well, :4marth:. His buffs are amazing, and people can finally play him competitively as they did with several other characters in the last patch.

I should make a list of the last two patches' fixed characters for future reference, for those looking for a new and underrepresented main-
:4mewtwo::4kirby::4lucas::4link::4robinm::4shulk::4ganondorf::4bowser::4lucario::4charizard::4greninja:1.1.3 ||||||||||| 1.1.4 :4marth::4lucina::4feroy::4littlemac::4tlink::4falco::4bowserjr::4myfriends:

Never feel bad about dropping your main. Part of improving is learning about yourself and adapting accordingly. As your fundamental skills progress, you may find that your strengths lie in areas in which your original main may not be particularly strong at.
I dropped :4greninja:, who I mained for half a year. I've been there. If you want tournament results, "main" the character you can play the best, second some runner-ups, and pocket the fun characters. And if you can't decide, experiment. Go to a low-rate local, try your current roster, and if you find something works better than something else, go with it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Do I main too many characters?
My current squad is :4cloud::4corrinf::4link::4marth::4ness: and :4feroy:.
I play several characters besides those 6 but I'm the best with these characters and have the most fun with them.
I don't plan on being in tournaments soon since I think I'm nowhere near good to be in one, and when people ask me who I main, I just tell them it's those 6 characters mentioned above. I don't know, many people have pointed out that I main too many and that I should stick to 1 or 2, 3 at most. So how can I figure out my 'main'? I hate choosing, especially between these characters.

SkippyJ

Smash Apprentice
I play several characters besides those 6 but I'm the best with these characters and have the most fun with them.
I don't plan on being in tournaments soon since I think I'm nowhere near good to be in one, and when people ask me who I main, I just tell them it's those 6 characters mentioned above. I don't know, many people have pointed out that I main too many and that I should stick to 1 or 2, 3 at most. So how can I figure out my 'main'? I hate choosing, especially between these characters.
I used to "main" a ton of characters too, but as I started playing more competatively i realized that its near impossible to play THAT many characters optimally, there is just too much to keep track of. Its like wanting to be the best football player, and also the best in the world at golf and tennis too. Its just not realistic.

Ask yourself, do I want to be the BEST at what I do? Or do i just want to play the game and have fun, without the stress of trying to play perfectly? If you can honestly answer that you just want to have fun playing and you dont care about winning, then thats AWESOME, but if you get the most joy out of being the best then you should probably cut down your roster a bit.

I think a good rule of thumb for a person just starting out in the competative scene is, have ONE character that you play where your goal is ALWAYS PERFECTION. This is your one SERIOUS character. This is the character you should be saving all your replays for and analyzing them, taking notes on what you could do better in each scenario. You should almost always take your play with this character very seriously. This is your tournament main. Dont get me wrong I LOVE playing my villager, but the enjoyment i get out of playing my villager is more along the lines of the enjoyment i get when i ace a test, or outsmart my Critical Thinking proffesor. Its a feeling of accomplishment.

Then you should have a couple other characters you can go to when you a feeling stressed playing your main, or you just want to relax and have some fun. Its fine to look up some combos and stuff for them, cuz that might be part of what makes them fun for you, but your goal should never be PERFECTION like it is with your main. Your goal should be fun first and foremost. You shouldnt be busting out these characters in tournament unless you are giving up, nor should you be spending hours labbing with them. Why? You should keep work and play seperate. Both are rewarding, but they serve different purposes. If you constantly are trying to "have fun" and style with your main, you wont win, so the work you did to main him/her wont be as rewarding. If you are trying to play perfectly or beating yourself up over a loss with your "for fun" characters then THAT experience wont be as rewarding.

With your main, you SHOULD be going to tournaments, as much as possible. Losing will help you get better. When you are done, ask your opponent what you couldve done differently. Get as much practice as you can with the people who are better then you, you'll be suprised how quickly you improve.

Once you hit a seriouse wall or you feel that your main is reaching a level of perfection, when you look back at a video of yourself and you dont see what you couldve done differently, THAT is when you should consider adding a second SERIOUS character.

Tl:dr
Have one main at first, and a couple for fun characters to just relax with. Keep work and play seperate. Strive for nothing less than perction. Take notes on your play.

SkippyJ

Smash Apprentice
As far as which of those to make your main, that really all depends on how you like to play. Do you like to get in your opponents face and overwhelm them or put up a wall and make them feel helpless? Do you want a character that is very fundamental based and excels in the neutral? Or a character that has high damage combos? Do you want to get your kills with throws? With heavy hitting attacks? Or with gimping them off stage?

A good test is to picture yourself as the best [insert character name] in the world. Picture dominating your opponents with said character. Picture how people will view you as the best main of that character. Picture your worst matchups: would you rather have to deal with a rosa steeling your recovery as ness, a sheik rushing in and not allowing you to set up your projectiles as link, or a character projectile camping your roy so you cant get in? Which sounds the most tollerable? Now ask yourself which of those ideas sound the most appealing. The best marth? Link? Ness? Cloud?
Chose the one that sounds the best to you :)

Thats how i eventually chose villy: i asked myself, what situation do i enjoy the most in this game? I found that the answer was, i love the feeling I get when i see my opponent lose hope, lose the will to fight. When i have all of their options covered all the time, somthing that villager does best. Other people get the most joy when they are getting boddied, but then they dash attack at 15% and win in a major upset, so they play metaknight. Other people just love the spacing game, when they go robot and space those tippers pixel perfect every time and they feel like a god, so they play marth.

Find that situation that you LOVE SO MUCH, that you are willing to put in the work to make that situation happen every time. That is how you find a main.

Last edited:

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
Having more than a main and 2 secondaries is impossible, for me. Look at me, I main :4mario:, and my secondaries are :4darkpit: and :4sheik:. That's far more than enough, Mario and Sheik already cover the entire roster of characters with no exception, and Dark Pit is for those matchups I'd rather not use Mario. I can't see anybody specializing in more than 3 characters.

D

Deleted member

I used to "main" a ton of characters too, but as I started playing more competatively i realized that its near impossible to play THAT many characters optimally, there is just too much to keep track of. Its like wanting to be the best football player, and also the best in the world at golf and tennis too. Its just not realistic.

Ask yourself, do I want to be the BEST at what I do? Or do i just want to play the game and have fun, without the stress of trying to play perfectly? If you can honestly answer that you just want to have fun playing and you dont care about winning, then thats AWESOME, but if you get the most joy out of being the best then you should probably cut down your roster a bit.
That's the thing. I want to be the best and win but at the same time I just want to play for fun. I say to myself 'winning doesn't matter' but whenever I lose help I can't help but to feel the slightest bit of discouragement.

As far as which of those to make your main, that really all depends on how you like to play. Do you like to get in your opponents face and overwhelm them or put up a wall and make them feel helpless? Do you want a character that is very fundamental based and excels in the neutral? Or a character that has high damage combos? Do you want to get your kills with throws? With heavy hitting attacks? Or with gimping them off stage?
That's a good question. I sometimes like getting up close and personal but at the same time I like attacking from a distance. Also I like doing a lot of combos (although I have a hard time pulling them off).

There's just so many things I like about these 6 characters that it's hard for me to narrow down my choices.

Last edited by a moderator:
Five of them are swordfighters, so pick your favorite sword attribute and stick with it.
:4marth: has the tipper, and very strong aerial pressure.
:4feroy: is super fast and has immense KO power.
:4corrin: is difficult, technical, and oriented around ground combos.
:4cloud: is well-rounded and has a unique power in Limit Break.
:4link: is slow, but very strong, and has a wide variety of projectile pressure.

Then, since he's not a swordfighter, use Ness as your secondary.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Five of them are swordfighters, so pick your favorite sword attribute and stick with it.
:4marth: has the tipper, and very strong aerial pressure.
:4feroy: is super fast and has immense KO power.
:4corrin: is difficult, technical, and oriented around ground combos.
:4cloud: is well-rounded and has a unique power in Limit Break.
:4link: is slow, but very strong, and has a wide variety of projectile pressure.

Then, since he's not a swordfighter, use Ness as your secondary.
I did several matches with a friend earlier and found that I'm not too great with Ness and Roy like I thought I was, so I think I'm going to cross those two off my list and make them secondaries.
Now I'm trying to decide between the other four.

SkippyJ

Smash Apprentice
That's the thing. I want to be the best and win but at the same time I just want to play for fun. I say to myself 'winning doesn't matter' but whenever I lose help I can't help but to feel the slightest bit of discouragement.
I can totally relate. Like i said, a good solution to this is having ONE character that is PURELY serious (no secondary until you perfect you main), and then 2 or three other characters that are PURELY for fun. You'll notice that when the pros play casuals they almost never play their main. You should follow their example. When you are playing your main a flip should switch and say "okay, its time to be seriouse." that switch should never flip when you are playing your for fun characters. It shouldn't even matter if you are good with them, they are just for goofing around.

Last edited:

SkippyJ

Smash Apprentice
That's a good question. I sometimes like getting up close and personal but at the same time I like attacking from a distance. Also I like doing a lot of combos (although I have a hard time pulling them off).

There's just so many things I like about these 6 characters that it's hard for me to narrow down my choices.
Then i think maybe you should ask yourself the other question, what is your favorite situation? What single moment or position makes you just wanna jump up and get hype more than any other?

I personally enjoy marth, but given the things that youve said, I would say go Cloud. He is scary in your face because of limit break, a great jab, a quick get off me grab and a moveset that is all around just scary to be in range of. He also has a decent projectile, and your limit charge forces your opponent to approach, not to mention how long his sword is, so cloud has no problems from a distance either. And you might not think it but he as great combos too, from falling up air and late hit down air, his down air even comboing into a killing move (finishing touch) to kill at rediculously low percents. Also, he has a VERY good fox trot and dash dance, maybe the best and easiest in the game. Also, many people condider him the best swordsman, and you have good pro representation from komorikiri and m2k.

That being said, honestly just choose one randomly if you cant decide, but make sure you STICK WITH YOUR DECISION. Youve already expressed your intrest in each of those four, so you really cant go wrong. And hey, you wanna win, right? So no matter which you chose, you'll be happy you chose them once you start getting them W's ;) (which will happen a lot more often once youdecide to focus on one character)

Last edited:
Top Bottom