• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Magical Potency of the DB.

Nix-Man

Smash Rookie
NNID
Nix-on-the-Man
3DS FC
3067-6020-6348
In my personal experience, I find this move to be a Swiss army knife. It has the potential to override almost all other characters moves (almost, pay close attention to the hit box of this move. It's not an all encompassing thing, I.E. his head seems to be vulnerable in certain situations), it's amazing for mind games, its animation is long which makes it great for punishing opponents who abuse spot dodging and it's even surprisingly great for OK's in certain situations. But the most important use for his DB is for recovery. If used correctly, it's even better than Mario's cape when recovering form a big hit.

Here's a break down: Doc's DB gains altitude when the B is mashed. Going into training mode and practicing this is highly recommended, cause there is (surprisingly) a rhythm to it, but madly mashing B can still get you decent height. Make sure you also hold UP through the entirety of his animation. This is very important, because the move is not only effected on a x axis, but also the y axis. By holding up, you can maximize the height of this move. This is also great for mix ups when recovering to the ledge. A ledge guarding opponent will more than likely not see this coming and if they try to ledge guard, they'll most likely find themselves sucked up and ripe for punishment.

The strat's to this move runs much, much deeper. So I highly recommend experimenting it. And of course, please post anything on your mind about the DB, or anything else for that matter. Have fun smashing mates!

Dobbston

Smash Apprentice
The only problem with the tornado is the ending lag, but another good trick you can do with it is B-reverse it to reverse your momentum. Tornado is pretty good for eating through moves and edgeguarding but it comes out in 10 frames, which makes it slower than most aerials, and the ending lag is punishable; tornado is a great move but it would be a lot better if it had less lag. Also, perfect tornado is pretty easy to do in this game compared to melee so I'm not sure what most people are having trouble with.

Last edited:

Mirax96

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mirax96
3DS FC
4081-5489-7344
Well said, mate! I find it an incredible move for edgeguarding!
I just jump out of the ledge, do the DB with the right rhythm to stay kinda "on spot", then with the double jump I can come back to the stage no problem...!
1) It covers a big area around the ledge so it's hard to go around it!
2) Since it lasts long, it's pretty hard to be airdodged!
3) The final hit is strong enough to kill since you're closer to the blast zone... If you're lucky enough it can even stage spike!
I find it one of the best edgeguarding moves of the game!

Dobbston

Smash Apprentice
Dthrow to Tornado (14 dmg) combos and can kill some characters at high percents; Dthrow to Tornado (14 dmg) combos on Shulk at 141 percent. I knew Dthrow to Tornado (14 dmg) could combo for a while but I didn't realize that it could work at high percents.

Dobbston

Smash Apprentice
Is it reliable?
Probably as much as any of Dr. Mario's other combos; almost all of Dr. Mario's combos are tough to do and work at different percents on different characters. Dthrow to Tornado (14 dmg) is obviously not that great for damage but it could be useful for killing at high percents if you don't think Bthrow will.

Nix-Man

Smash Rookie
NNID
Nix-on-the-Man
3DS FC
3067-6020-6348
The only problem with the tornado is the ending lag, but another good trick you can do with it is B-reverse it to reverse your momentum. Tornado is pretty good for eating through moves and edgeguarding but it comes out in 10 frames, which makes it slower than most aerials, and the ending lag is punishable; tornado is a great move but it would be a lot better if it had less lag. Also, perfect tornado is pretty easy to do in this game compared to melee so I'm not sure what most people are having trouble with.
This is all very true about his DB, and I'm digging everyone's opinion on it. The end lag definitely leaves much to be desired. Which is a shame, but I would argue that it forces a Doc player to get creative. Play smarter with it and not just spam the move. I would also go as far to say that the move would be a little OP if they didn't gimp it with the end lag.
And perfect tornado is indeed much easier this time around, but I haven't heard of anyone having trouble trying to pull it off. I was make the case that it's in the best interest of the player to practice up in training mode, like you would do with any characters. Get familiar with the vertical height, the length of the animation, hit boxes, and yes, the length of the cool down this move has.

Kisatamura

Prescriber of Manami.
NNID
Kisatamura
3DS FC
1521-4702-6467
Dr. Tornado works well as a read to rolls and spotdodges, but I use it primarily as an edgeguard. It can work as a risky approach if your opponent doesn't try to punish you immediately on Tornado

waterfall6464

Smash Cadet
Just a small note: I found that Tornado works well at edgeguarding Luigi. It trades hits with Luigis Cyclone, so if you meet him off-stage with it from above, Luigi will be sent downward and all his momentum will be gone. Doc on the other hand gets popped up toward the stage for an easy recovery.

Top Bottom