• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Luigi Social Thread

WIGI

Smash Champion
wait a minute..... i thought i was good at this game?

but the rest about me being bad at disucsions and tauntspiking is abotu right...

kigbariom

Smash Lord
I'm the one who is actually crap at this game. I really can't Brawl for my d*** life.
But I pretend that I know how to play Luigi, and I love the other Luigi mains, which is why I've spent over a year here.

WIGI

Smash Champion
be smarter than her..

other than that, gimp. and do moves that do things that are betetr than her moves. and elarn to smashdi out of things.

yoshq

Smash Master
there is no move of luigi's better than the side b of zss. you can't gimp her, because her bairs after her down b have incredible priority. I'm definitely giving up on this matchup with luigi ._. but thanks ._.

btw, I think we should be discussing characters like zss, fox, donkey kong, instead of wario or marth. those are old news, to me at least.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
You walk towards them as they pin themself on the ledge. Its not like they have a good way of getting past you and back to the middle of the stage. If they like to jump backwards, let them jump backwards, maybe sh forward throwing fireballs still out of their range. Once they're in a position that they can't jump back anymore, keep phantom pressure on until they feel like they have to move. Thats when you hit them.

WIGI

Smash Champion
ye3s i would play this guy. and his tactic might even work on me... for a couple matches. then ill be forced to think creativly and get around it.

and then il taunt spike his ***.

=]

CR4SH

Smash Lord
Of course its not a magic pill, but against anyone you can't get in on because they're moving backwards, you just have to forget doing damage to them in that situation and take stage control instead. Anyone that wants to give you some of the stage is someone you should take the stage from.

Yes you have to work hard to get inside, but unlike most characters that have good long spacing moves, plasma whip takes forever to come out. So if you get one good powershield on a still zss she has no moves fast enough to stop you from coming. Well, she does have jab, but you can jab through anything she tries to do out of it, including the third jab.

Plus a big part of what makes zss good is her crazy uair. Thing about that is, nair beats it badly and puts the juggle shoe on the other foot. And throw the clothes off the stage, keep one for yourself if you really want.

WIGI

Smash Champion
will do.. but not until i get home from the workshop lol, il try to save the replays for you too, if there under 3 min.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
for vsing Zamus's that spam forward b?
Approach using down b, fireballs, and back air.

Or powershield like a level 9 cpu

Viking Ness

Smash Journeyman
Hey gang, got bored of zss and lucas so I'm having fun with Luigi for awhile. Can someone explain to me the purpose of airdodging before landing?

CR4SH

Smash Lord
I realized something at work last night. I think you were probably more talking about the WIFI zero suit matchup. In that case, ignore everything I said, because I have no idea how to deal with that ****. Zss really feels broken online, but then again I hardly ever play wifi. I can't imagine any real reliable way to deal with that ***** in latency.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Hey gang, got bored of zss and lucas so I'm having fun with Luigi for awhile. Can someone explain to me the purpose of airdodging before landing?
you mean aerials, then air dodges aimed down?

it is to make single aerials in the air quicker, its a form of buffer.

Good Luigi's mix SHAD aerials with double aerials. Its more to vary our approach.

yoshq

Smash Master
I realized something at work last night. I think you were probably more talking about the WIFI zero suit matchup. In that case, ignore everything I said, because I have no idea how to deal with that ****. Zss really feels broken online, but then again I hardly ever play wifi. I can't imagine any real reliable way to deal with that ***** in latency.
yeah, maybe that's why i think a lot of these weird matchups are hard, i guess i'll have to play them offline to john about them again.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
you mean aerials, then air dodges aimed down?

it is to make single aerials in the air quicker, its a form of buffer.

Good Luigi's mix SHAD aerials with double aerials. Its more to vary our approach.

let me explain this a little better, when you land you really want to be buffering a jab right?
but if you try to buffer a jab when your in the air you do an aerial instead, so you actually cant buffer a jab in the air.

unless of course you airdodge down to the ground, that way to can buffer your jab during the airdodge without having to worry about aerials coming out.

so basically its to cover your landing and makes for good approaching.

that help?

edit- ahh **** sorry about the double post, I thought I was on 2 different threads

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
Speaking of ZSS, I just played Supermodel from Paris a few days ago.

He/She (lol) said the matchup was 60:40 Luigi, and I was losing most of the time. I never thought of the nairs between uairs, but I still don't think the matchup is 60:40 Luigi.

Btw, does Luigi have a glidetoss?

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
Luigi's glidetoss is really weird. He does not have a regular forward glide toss though if I recall.

And the matchup might be in luigi's favor, though I've only played one ZSS (warpstatus) and that was in one tiny friendly at genesis. So my opinion doesn't really matter here.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Look at Koga's guide, he has i think it's called backwards? or as long as his back is towards the person, then depends on the timing you initate the buttons for glide toss varies on the distance, l usually mess with naners mostly in training mode with luigi's glide toss in my free time.

besides, the armor pieces is only a threat for merely like a stock or maybe seconds lol, but better to abuse it and learn how to control it.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Does anyone think Luigi could possibly rise into the bottom of B tier if we mastered his dair and down taunt spike ALOT more, found more successful ways into the Up B, and we mastered the jumpless cyclone?

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
No lol, things like MK's upair cut through the spike, idk why ppl even bother to think he'd rise if WE mastered the dair spike -_-

so like im ****ing nub and thought i knew matchup for olimar since i thought i mastered it, apparently not since i got 3 stocked by dabuz's olimar and jv2 stocked in game 2 arggggh i even read cr4sh's guide too, well techanically i just didnt remember the matchup >_> but still omfg i thought i got olimar matchup down, LK and cr4sh i so need u lol omgggg

i got the vids recorded, hopefully it'll be posted T.T

got back from tourney got like 33rd out of 53 in singles and 13 out of 20 in mid tier singles so gay i hate wolf/mk >.> well my mario can handle mk, just not wolf **** me

Viking Ness

Smash Journeyman
let me explain this a little better, when you land you really want to be buffering a jab right?
but if you try to buffer a jab when your in the air you do an aerial instead, so you actually cant buffer a jab in the air.

unless of course you airdodge down to the ground, that way to can buffer your jab during the airdodge without having to worry about aerials coming out.

so basically its to cover your landing and makes for good approaching.

that help?

edit- ahh **** sorry about the double post, I thought I was on 2 different threads
Yeah that helps a bit, thanks.

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
so like im ****ing nub and thought i knew matchup for olimar since i thought i mastered it, apparently not since i got 3 stocked by dabuz's olimar and jv2 stocked in game 2 arggggh i even read cr4sh's guide too, well techanically i just didnt remember the matchup >_> but still omfg i thought i got olimar matchup down, LK and cr4sh i so need u lol omgggg
I'll try and get some vids of me and weruop this weekend for ya bro =]

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Speaking of ZSS, I just played Supermodel from Paris a few days ago.

He/She (lol) said the matchup was 60:40 Luigi, and I was losing most of the time. I never thought of the nairs between uairs, but I still don't think the matchup is 60:40 Luigi.

Btw, does Luigi have a glidetoss?
Yeah, a good ZSS is annoyingly hard to approach since her ForwardB and Downsmash are just stupidly safe. You really have to be ready to powershield those.

Luigi does have a good glidetoss length, but only on the backwards roll. In my honest opinion, I don't find it useful against anyone except Diddy, since I just don't feel like he can combo very well out of his glidetoss most of the time. Retreating glidetosses are fundamentally useful though.

Top Bottom