• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Louisiana Thread: Flarefox Forever - We are alive.

iceman48

Smash Journeyman
No offense, but you guys should be the ones to travel here, not the other way around. Midwest has hosted almost a dozen 100+ entrant tourneys this year, including a 500+ entrant one last weekend. What has the South done outside of Florida and Georgia?
Gawd damn. No love for Texas? I mean, we're a stone's throw away.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
@ Captain Zack Captain Zack - Thanks for the compliments, bro. Thanks for your support of my events! We'll see each other soon enough at tournaments. Going to make it a goal to attend more. You're a cool kid. :D

Nikz0r

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nik615
3DS FC
4468-0969-5023
No Recovery? No threat. L2play Yahoo scrubsies.

Sonic, Sheik, and ZSS scare me WAY more than any Mac I've seen. Pure and simple.

Logz

Smash Cadet
I take back what I previously said about SS3DS. I honestly find it more boring than Brawl the more I play it. Welp, back to melee it is...

'V'

Smash Lord
I haven't found much of a problem with Little Mac either. Then again, whenever I do encounter one, that's always when I've played as Puff, so yeah... lol

I take back what I previously said about SS3DS. I honestly find it more boring than Brawl the more I play it. Welp, back to melee it is...
That was fast. LOL

Logz

Smash Cadet
I haven't found much of a problem with Little Mac either. Then again, whenever I do encounter one, that's always when I've played as Puff, so yeah... lol

That was fast. LOL
Lol you guys were right. Shouldn't have gotten my hopes up. Maybe it's because I can't use a gamecube controller? Idk. I've been trying to have fun with this game but it's sooooo defensive and campy =|... At least the musics good tho.

Brawlman1000

Smash Ace
NNID
Bman1K
3DS FC
2981-7986-9482

That was fast. LOL
I've been playing Little Mac quite a bit, he's so fun! But I did lose to a Jiggs online as Mac, wonder if it was u lol.

Anyways, people add me so we can play! I actually have wifi now so I wanna play all of u guys more than just at tournaments.

'V'

Smash Lord
Is Smash 4 that bad?
It depends on preference, mostly. Some people don't really care for the slow gameplay among other things. I'm kinda in that boat myself, but I'm trying to get as much fun out of it as I possibly can. Maybe things will shape up when Wii U comes out. At least we'll have better controllers. lol

Last edited:

Sudai

Stuff here
From what I've seen, some matches will be slow and campy, but custom moves give some crazy offensive options to some characters. Palutena with Super Speed + Light Weight + Glide Jump gives crazy amount of safe mix-up options and with Light Weight active she has high damage true combos and combos that lead to kill moves at kill percents.

Even without wavedashing, lcanceling, and dash dancing, this game has a lot of movement options from what I've seen. There's bound to be a few more characters that can utilize them well offensively.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
Once people get their hands on a real controller and feel more comfortable with actually doing things, it'll pick up.

Robert Lee

Smash Apprentice
It's good to hear some people enjoying the game instead of bashing on the game's mechanics. From time to time, I always hear people crap talk about Super Smash Bros. Brawl and now Super Smash Bros 3DS. It's not Super Smash Bros Melee mechanics. Yeah, I know players are disappointed in the removal of some techniques in which I wouldn't know much about since I'm not too familiar with the technical terms smash players use, but this is a new Super Smash Bros. Not 64. Not Melee. Not Brawl. Yeah, it's good to hear that the game return some mechanics from both Melee and Brawl, but it seems like players want only Melee game elements instead of Brawl game-play elements. It would be boring seeing melee game-play elements only. It's good to have a mix of game-play elements from all three past series of Super Smash Bros. Plus, the custom moves makes it even more amazing. I wish more players enjoy each smash game. :)

iceman48

Smash Journeyman
I'm having a blast with it. I knew platforms were important, but I didn't realize how important until I started playing every match on ****ing FD. I think I'ma set it to 1 stock and make it more intense.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't read your post until I wrote mine. For the most part, people don't want Melee game elements, they just want movement options and combo opportunities.

Last edited:

Robert Lee

Smash Apprentice
That's true. Didn't think of it that way. I just notice how some people bash on Super Smash Bros 3DS like it's going to be another Super Smash Bros Melee. It's not going to be Super Smash Bros Melee. Hopefully, people will learn to accept Super Smash Bros 3DS for what it is and enjoy it instead of criticizing its game mechanics.

Sudai

Stuff here
Basically the entire melee scene acknowledges that Melee was a beautiful accident. Dunno why they expect Sakurai to make something that lives up to it when he actively despises what it was. :[

Last edited:

'V'

Smash Lord
I was just hoping that the game would've gotten somewhat faster in the gameplay as well as a few more movement options. I knew full well it wouldn't be Melee and I wasn't hoping for it to be, but I wanted it to at least be interesting to me. We'll see whenever the Wii U version comes out, I guess.

Guzzler Guzzler

Melee Elitist
It's good to hear some people enjoying the game instead of bashing on the game's mechanics. From time to time, I always hear people crap talk about Super Smash Bros. Brawl and now Super Smash Bros 3DS. It's not Super Smash Bros Melee mechanics. Yeah, I know players are disappointed in the removal of some techniques in which I wouldn't know much about since I'm not too familiar with the technical terms smash players use, but this is a new Super Smash Bros. Not 64. Not Melee. Not Brawl. Yeah, it's good to hear that the game return some mechanics from both Melee and Brawl, but it seems like players want only Melee game elements instead of Brawl game-play elements. It would be boring seeing melee game-play elements only. It's good to have a mix of game-play elements from all three past series of Super Smash Bros. Plus, the custom moves makes it even more amazing. I wish more players enjoy each smash game. :)
It's not about having melee mechanics return, it's about having more options in different situations. But if you like having a game centered around OP shields and rolls then that's cool. I'll take melee any day though

_D._

Smash Apprentice
In Route

I need a partner. A partner for the new smash 4; specifically the Wii U version. A partner, who has a deep hunger to become one of the best in this game. Someone whose commitment is so tightly rooted, that they don’t even flinch to go to an OOS tournament; given they have the resources. Somebody who preferably lives in Florida, however, I will not hesitate to play Wi-Fi.

Now, aspiring to reach the skill of a Mango, M2k, Armada, DR. PP, Zero, Nairo, Otori, 9B, Nietono, Ally, Anti, DEHF, Gnes, ADHD, Razer, and for my Florida peeps: Esam, Nickriddle, Hungrybox, HRNUT, Red Halberd, Shaky, and Seibrik is in a nutshell, not good enough. We have to be better. However great they are in their respective games, we have to be ten times better. If you think this is too great a task, then fine, I am not speaking to you.

Have you ever wanted anything in life, anything, so bad, so strongly, whether it is a job, women, monetary achievement, or whatever you could imagine; that nothing, I mean nothing, could dissuade you from pursuing that goal? I don’t know about you, but mines is becoming the best at Smash 4. Something like bribing a GameStop employee $500 to get a copy of the game a week early is the level of commitment I’m talking about. I know, I know it’s bad. If you didn’t know GameStop can receive games weeks before release.

Let’s be very clear; I want to use this game as a platform to further my education. If the game turns out to be truly viable at the competitive level; then I will see the game through however long it receives coverage. My goal is to be the best, but it is also to be the best so I can pay my way through school and rid myself of student debt. I’m only a junior so I don’t have much to begin with, but still, I want it gone.

I don’t want this game to consume your life. I don’t want you to be homeless, and be playing Smash 4 as a vagabond. No, homelessness will not be tolerated. In any sport there is practice, and Smash wouldn’t be any different. Somebody who can dedicate roughly 20 to 30 hours a week in intense training would be choice. And, come on guys, we sometimes hammer away entire Friday night’s and Saturdays playing with our best buds, so dedicating time to train in not unrealistic. A Saito to my Kenshin, a Vegeta to Goku, a Kuwabara to Yusuke; a fierce rivalry needs to be born between us. This way we can keep each other in check to make sure we don’t fall behind. Every tournament we go to, we won’t be satisfied with anything, but first place. Gotta’ go to Apex for sure.

November the 21st is D-Day, or earlier if you can land it. Be prepared, because there will be loss on this journey, but every fall will make us want it that much more. We’re going to be the first ones at the venue and the last ones to leave. Smash will test us at every turn to see if we are deemed fit enough to see the top, but if you see what I see, if you feel as I feel, and if you would seek as I seek, then I implore you to stand beside me. I know I am not a quitter, and I know you aren’t either. If you’re interested DM me.

iceman48

Smash Journeyman
TFerg left before the tourney started. I left right after my second loss. I don't think I've ever left a tourney right after losing since I'm there to hang out and I don't really care about winning or losing. Sakurai has successfully done it. He's made this game as non-competitive as possible. Someone said it best (might have been TFerg or Trey), there's no reason to approach. This game awards doing nothing.

_D._

Smash Apprentice
i was thinking of jason mraz "I wont give up". He sends a ton of letters to woman he's in love with even though she ignores him. Definitely not meant to be taken as an excuse to act creepy or stalkingly. It can replaced with the word man if you want. I was relating it to a strong love for someone; marrying your soul mate so to speak would make one extremely happy. I was just trying to invoke the same sense in my desire to win.

Sudai

Stuff here
I didn't read it all, but good luck. Even if you 'make it big' in smash, the money's not that good. Basically enough to get to the next national tourney and live a moderate life where you mooch off other smashers in between tournies.

'V'

Smash Lord
Zack broke The Kick combo, so back to Serena avi. lol

The Cove 3.10 Results

1. Hyro :4jigglypuff: / :4tlink:
2. V :4drmario:
3. TC :4yoshi:
4. Jonathan :4luigi:
5. Iceman :4wiifit:
5. Blaine :4samus:
7. MastaStef :4greninja:
7. BayouBengal :4kirby:

TFerg left before the tourney started. I left right after my second loss. I don't think I've ever left a tourney right after losing since I'm there to hang out and I don't really care about winning or losing. Sakurai has successfully done it. He's made this game as non-competitive as possible. Someone said it best (might have been TFerg or Trey), there's no reason to approach. This game awards doing nothing.
Yeah, this was pretty much the first tourney where I've felt that people just weren't enjoying themselves. I feel really bad that you all came out and pretty much wasted your time and money. At least we got to see each other and hang out for a bit. I had some fun, though it seems that most people didn't. (But yeah, I TOLD Y'ALL!!) lol

Winning is not worth selling your soul.

Turazrok

Smash Master
Don't forget guys, if you don't like sm4sh you're an old melee playing hater that hasn't given it enough of a chance. No matter what.

'V'

Smash Lord
Don't forget guys, if you don't like sm4sh you're an old melee playing hater that hasn't given it enough of a chance. No matter what.
I've literally put in 60+ hours into the game so far along with getting over half of ALL of the custom moves for the characters as well as played over 100 online matches as well as friendlies and even tournament matches with other people now. Let's not count all of the watching I've done on ZeRo's and M2K's streams as well and VGBC.

No one has the right to tell me anything. LOL

iceman48

Smash Journeyman
I mean, it wasn't a bust. I know having it at the Cove didn't help attendance (maybe), but I'm glad I was at a bar and got to drink with people playing smash. That's the highlight of the night. I'll still play with people if they want to play online or whatever but I probably won't be entering tournies. Another highlight, this might be the highest placement WFT will get.

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
So I played smash 3DS for the first time last Saturday. And I'm very confused on how aerial landing works in this game. Now granted I only played 4 matches and those 4 matches are the only matches I've ever played lol. But It was really weird. I couldn't decide whether the game wanted me to auto cancel or just to land them. I tried to auto cancel Wario's Nair but there was some good lag at the end. But when I just fast felled it, the landing lag was almost as if I just pulled of an L cancel! And I am so not down with the new ledge mechanic where people can just take the ledge from you whenever they want. I love to take the ledge from fools. Punish them for not recovering properly ya know? And that whole part of the ledge play is just thrown out the window with this new "Oh im just gonna snatch the ledge from you even though I have no jumps and I'm helpless." mechanic, it really seems to dumb down one of the key mechanics that makes smash different from traditional fighters which is ledge play. Yeah there's still edge guarding but all I've really seen is people just YOLOing off the stage to try to hit their opponent. I'll just have to see when the Wii U version comes out.

'V'

Smash Lord
Honestly (at this point) I don't see the Wii U version really changing anything as far as mechanics go. Sakurai seems to really have intended for us to play with the stuff that's been put into the game. We'll have a better controller and bigger screens to play on, but that's about it. It'll slightly change our experience, but not the game itself.

That's all my opinion, anyway. I'm aware that something COULD change, but I'm highly doubtful.

Guzzler Guzzler

Melee Elitist
In Route

I need a partner. A partner for the new smash 4; specifically the Wii U version. A partner, who has a deep hunger to become one of the best in this game. Someone whose commitment is so tightly rooted, that they don’t even flinch to go to an OOS tournament; given they have the resources. Somebody who preferably lives in Florida, however, I will not hesitate to play Wi-Fi.

Now, aspiring to reach the skill of a Mango, M2k, Armada, DR. PP, Zero, Nairo, Otori, 9B, Nietono, Ally, Anti, DEHF, Gnes, ADHD, Razer, and for my Florida peeps: Esam, Nickriddle, Hungrybox, HRNUT, Red Halberd, Shaky, and Seibrik is in a nutshell, not good enough. We have to be better. However great they are in their respective games, we have to be ten times better. If you think this is too great a task, then fine, I am not speaking to you.

Have you ever wanted anything in life, anything, so bad, so strongly, whether it is a job, women, monetary achievement, or whatever you could imagine; that nothing, I mean nothing, could dissuade you from pursuing that goal? I don’t know about you, but mines is becoming the best at Smash 4. Something like bribing a GameStop employee $500 to get a copy of the game a week early is the level of commitment I’m talking about. I know, I know it’s bad. If you didn’t know GameStop can receive games weeks before release.

Let’s be very clear; I want to use this game as a platform to further my education. If the game turns out to be truly viable at the competitive level; then I will see the game through however long it receives coverage. My goal is to be the best, but it is also to be the best so I can pay my way through school and rid myself of student debt. I’m only a junior so I don’t have much to begin with, but still, I want it gone.

I don’t want this game to consume your life. I don’t want you to be homeless, and be playing Smash 4 as a vagabond. No, homelessness will not be tolerated. In any sport there is practice, and Smash wouldn’t be any different. Somebody who can dedicate roughly 20 to 30 hours a week in intense training would be choice. And, come on guys, we sometimes hammer away entire Friday night’s and Saturdays playing with our best buds, so dedicating time to train in not unrealistic. A Saito to my Kenshin, a Vegeta to Goku, a Kuwabara to Yusuke; a fierce rivalry needs to be born between us. This way we can keep each other in check to make sure we don’t fall behind. Every tournament we go to, we won’t be satisfied with anything, but first place. Gotta’ go to Apex for sure.

November the 21st is D-Day, or earlier if you can land it. Be prepared, because there will be loss on this journey, but every fall will make us want it that much more. We’re going to be the first ones at the venue and the last ones to leave. Smash will test us at every turn to see if we are deemed fit enough to see the top, but if you see what I see, if you feel as I feel, and if you would seek as I seek, then I implore you to stand beside me. I know I am not a quitter, and I know you aren’t either. If you’re interested DM me.
why dont you just play melee

iceman48

Smash Journeyman
He has a point. If someone were to play a Smash game for potential (however small) fame and fortune, then becoming the best in Melee is better long and short term. If one wants to excel in the newest game , however, then more power to them

Edit: My suggestion would be to get a job.

Last edited:
Top Bottom