• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Louisiana Thread: Flarefox Forever - We are alive.

Guzzler Guzzler

Melee Elitist
The only reason PM is 4 stocks is because it was made with melee in mind. PM will never be as fast as melee. Floaties/recoveries got buffed out the ass and there are bigger stages. That's just the truth of it, and if the only reason for PM to stay 4 stocks is because that's what it was in the first place... Well that's just stupid

RuslinJimmies

Smash Journeyman
What DF meant is that when you tether and you have to pass through Randall, the tether just does a normal up b at Randall. It usually doesn't bother me but the one time it does it annoys me.

Also why no love for PM Lylat? It doesn't tilt, platforms are at a good height to follow up attacks but not throws. It's literally battlefield with a lowered middle platform and bigger boundaries. It should remain as a counter pick imo

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Lylat no it has those Melee battlefield edges

The only reason PM is 4 stocks is because it was made with melee in mind. PM will never be as fast as melee. Floaties/recoveries got buffed out the *** and there are bigger stages. That's just the truth of it, and if the only reason for PM to stay 4 stocks is because that's what it was in the first place... Well that's just stupid
it sounds like the only PM gameplay you regularly see is in Louisiana

RuslinJimmies

Smash Journeyman
The only reason PM is 4 stocks is because it was made with melee in mind. PM will never be as fast as melee. Floaties/recoveries got buffed out the *** and there are bigger stages. That's just the truth of it, and if the only reason for PM to stay 4 stocks is because that's what it was in the first place... Well that's just stupid
Oh look someone learned a matchup and combo'd zero to death just like melee. And look only like two edgeguards were dropped
https://m.facebook.com/groups/13303...m_notif&notif_t=group_activity&_ft_&__tn__=*s

Denti and I ran 4 dittos with ivy in under a minute and a half each match. Part of it was that's how the matchup goes, but part of it is realizing a buffed recovery can still be gimped.
Tether Options to Edgeguard:
1. Hang on to edge, punish forced ledge jump.
2. Guess what, besides Olimar, tether recoveries don't have a hitbox. Jump out and ****ing hit them.
3. They hang to avoid the forced jump. You either drop and punish or you do the safer thing and wait out the tether and punish the forced get up.

When I recover against like Taylor or DF tethering gets punished almost every time. So don't use that excuse. Now outside of that, there are some recoveries that are good as hell, but a more reliable solution would be to reduce the stage list and for people to learn the game.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
In a very fraudulent region that's so stuck to melee they don't wanna take time to learn how to edgeguard/finish combos properly matchup by matchup in PM so matches take longer than they should
Instead half of us just play fox/marth/falco/sheik/falcon/occasionally a couple others like they did in melee instead of trying something new and wonder why they don't know how to deal with something new
Plenty of other regions see matches ending briskly at about the same pace as melee, doing close grandfinals sets, 8+ matches, in about half an hour (and often less) counting the extended time it takes to strike stages.

Last edited:

'V'

Smash Lord
<What this thread does.
Zack, you win this thread. I freaking LOVE Dangan Ronpa!! lol

In a very fraudulent region that's so stuck to melee they don't wanna take time to learn how to edgeguard/finish combos properly matchup by matchup in PM so matches take longer than they should
Instead half of us just play fox/marth/falco/sheik/falcon/occasionally a couple others like they did in melee instead of trying something new and wonder why they don't know how to deal with something new
Plenty of other regions see matches ending briskly at about the same pace as melee, doing close grandfinals sets, 8+ matches, in about half an hour (and often less) counting the extended time it takes to strike stages.
DF, there's no reason to bash all of us for wanting to try different things. Even Melee started out with a bunch of different kinds of rulesets. It even started out with items at one point with a bunch of wacky stages. Brawl at this state is also trying 1-stock matches (though I still say they should try 2-stock matches, but at least it's something new). They even tried some items tourneys too.

Yes, we're not as awesome as many other players and many other regions at this game, but you seem to forget that not everyone is as attached to this game as you are. Over half of us are still just learning matchups including myself and I'm considered to be one of the better players in this region. Some of us can't even play this game all of the time. We're old and we have lives, yo.

There's nothing wrong with trying some new things. In fact, I think we should highly encourage trying out some new things with this game that still isn't finished yet. Like with Marvel discovering that it doesn't hurt to switch games from 2/3 to 3/5, maybe switching to 3-stock won't really be that much of a difference for P:M players.

Don't trash us because some success has gone to your head. We know that you're good already.

On a side note, I feel that all of Diego's recent posts have been blatantly passive-aggressive. Do I sense some salt or something?

That being said, I still want to try some new rulesets with 3-stock games as well as one with a limited stage list. We'll see what everyone's feeling for the next Cove Monthly.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
I'm not trashing you guys. I'm including myself In that. I don't place well in TX either.
I know more players In LA are primarily behind Melee and don't play PM enough to get really good at it and that's fine. But these players enter in PM a lot too and are having long games because they haven't practiced PM specific stuff, meanwhile most players in Melee have been playing it for quite awhile. You average Melee player Is better at finishing his punishments just because they've had more time to make that character's moveset a part of themselves, without devoting their life to the game, simply as a result of the game's longevity. PM hasn't really had that chance, and I see a lot of Melee players talking down PM essentially because it's new and hasn't had the chance to develop to the speed of Melee.

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
3.0 norfair originally killed Nana during the pre-game countdown before the player could do anything about it
That stage just resists being good with every fiber of its being

Last edited:

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
This iteration of norfair was rushed, which is why there's problems.

VVB

SD Champ
Being a melee purist who plays P:M a lot (Because Lafayette is a bunch of new P:M players), I'm gonna have to say that I am on the 4 stock match end of things. I think it's a little unfair to nix the stock count just because there are lots of new match ups to learn and that some of those match ups involve floaty characters. Melee can have that type of match length - playing Risk's Samus for years has that effect. If you play a Fox/Falco ditto in P:M, the speed and intensity of the melee game is there. I believe that P:M still has the gimping options that support a 4 stock game. 2 stock deficits can be made up with the same intensity, too.

While us "old guys" don't have the time to dedicate to the game, I don't think we should penalize the "young bloods" because we are the ones mostly TO'ing events and having this "Fine, we'll let you play, too, little bro" attitude. At the same time, I feel like some of the "young bloods" are going around flexing because they beat a old melee player in P:M. This seems silly because they both are willing to agree that Melee and P:M are vastly different games.

With all that said, I'm for the experiment of trying a 3 stock game. Metas are only discovered by experimentation. Be sure to let us know how it goes, @ 'V' 'V' .

'V'

Smash Lord
I never thought I'd ever find someone else who likes Dangan Ronpa in my life. ;-;
Dude, it's one of the best visual novels that I've ever played and the anime does it sooooo much justice. Can't wait to play the next game.

And yeah, I'd be totally about playing only on Pokémon Stadium 2. It's easily the best stage in the game.

Samsora

Smash Apprentice
Change brawl to 4 stocks now so it can live up to it brotherns case closed

Zylo

Smash Journeyman
The only way to make sure tournaments run on time is to change everything to time and/or coin matches.

Edit: I got it, you get to counterpick their game mode.

Last edited:

RuslinJimmies

Smash Journeyman
Can we please never ban lylat?

I need that **** for counterpicking

@ Sudai Sudai if it comes down to it, we ivysaur ditto for the right to keep lylat!

Last edited:

Sudai

Stuff here
If anything we'll do a League 1v1 first to 2 kills, 1st tower, or 150 cs wins. Logic holds no bearing thus the deciding match can't be in the game the rule is for.

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Woah slow down guys at this rate we'll have nothing left but rock papers scissors and 20XX will be upon us as legends foretold
And the sky will rain lasers and the ground will turn to shine

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
No one can stop the avalanche
RockRockRockRockRockRockRockRockRockRockRockRockRockRockRockRockRockRockRockRockRockRockRockRockRockRockRockRockRockRockRockRockRockRockRockRockRockRockRockRockRockRockRockRockRockRockRockRockRockRockRockRockRockRock

'V'

Smash Lord
According to the American Official Rules:

The king can move one square at a time forward or backward.
The king may jump in either direction.
The king may even jump in both directions in one turn (if he makes multiple jumps).

Top Bottom