• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Louisiana Thread: Flarefox Forever - We are alive.

iceman48

Smash Journeyman
I think Taylor had one, and I'm pretty sure Diego just said LSU had one. Ask them for some ideas. Did you have a charity in mind?

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I think Taylor had one, and I'm pretty sure Diego just said LSU had one. Ask them for some ideas. Did you have a charity in mind?
I think it would all depend on the timing. Whatever date we set it for, we could look around for any prevelant charities or relief funds: cancer research, holiday charities, disaster felief funds, etc.

@ 'V' 'V' - what kind of crazy events are you thinking of? I think we could get creative with this idea.

Guzzler Guzzler

Melee Elitist
I think it would all depend on the timing. Whatever date we set it for, we could look around for any prevelant charities or relief funds: cancer research, holiday charities, disaster felief funds, etc.

@ 'V' 'V' - what kind of crazy events are you thinking of? I think we could get creative with this idea.
Once the LSU club is actually approved by the university we could rent out the student union fo free =)

'V'

Smash Lord

Just random things like Waseda Doubles, Triple Random Crews, Bowser Challenge, things like that. Even if we only have just Doubles and Singles, I'd be about it.

RuslinJimmies

Smash Journeyman
So my friend totally wants to do something gaming related for his senior project. He suggested a charity tournament. He plays league so he could just say the word and have players for that. In Alexandria, you can rent party rooms and the individual showing rooms in the thester. We had toddled with the idea of hosting tournaments there. It would be awesome because each grand final or random hype event could be streamed. The idea hit us because prior to one showing, some employee left the screen on home and it was just a windows desktop. Also we semi approached the theater and they would be willing to do it if it were large enough. What if Louisiana randomly hosted a huge ass smash, marvel, league, and other fgc titles charity tournament? The venue wouldn't work for all these in one day, so we could do smash one weekend, marvel the next, etc etc. or we could take it to the event center which is literally the perfect venue save food and host it there. My friend has connections. Ramsaur knows keitaro. It's possible. I'm about it if you guys are?

Sudai

Stuff here
I think if it's a charity thing, to get as many people in to it as possible we should try to make a little room for less "tourney" style events like items on low/medium (some banned ect, Brawl already has a banned item list, think melee does too) with more fun stages on the random ect.

VVB

SD Champ
Thoughts?: LA having a charity tournament once a year, and trying to grow it to become one, if not, the biggest charity tournament in the country (assuming some don't already exist).
There is a venue here in Lafayette that would go for something like this. I know that they were interested in running a tourney for us, but we decided against it cause they probably didn't want to do it every month. Ever heard of the LITE Center?

I'm sure I could get some exposure with Trihex about it if we really wanted it to be huge.

Last edited:

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Just random things like Waseda Doubles, Triple Random Crews, Bowser Challenge, things like that. Even if we only have just Doubles and Singles, I'd be about it.
I like it!

@RJ - That would take a lot of coordination. I was thinking if we did it, we'd have to start out somewhat small/ assume we aren't going to get like 300+ people (but 100 would be amazing).

@ VVB VVB - I don't know laffy that well so I'm not familiar with it.

Also, any and all connections would help. Anything to get us some pull for attnedance. It'd be nice if we could get details confirmed at least 6 months ahead of time and promote the hell out of it. I have this same discussion on facebook and quite a number of people think supporting something local would be a good idea. Any suggestions to support that (or other ideas?)

oathkeeper005

Smash Cadet
NNID
Oath_X
UL had a local Charity Brawl Tournament a little less then a year ago. It was apparently a big turnout from what I heard.

I was actually considering toying around with the Idea of a charity tournament myself a while back. As I am a Big fan of Child's Play as a Charity I would definitely support such a tournament.

The Lite Center is the Building with the giant Egg right? Right across from Cajun Field?

Last edited:

VVB

SD Champ
UL had a local Charity Brawl Tournament a little less then a year ago. It was apparently a big turnout from what I heard.

I was actually considering toying around with the Idea of a charity tournament myself a while back as I am a Big fan of Child's Play as a Charity I would definitly support one.

The Lite Center is the Building with the giant Egg right? Right across from Cajun Field?

Yep, that's the one. I work down the road from it.

ChKn

Smash Ace
I ran the brackets and setup organization for that event. We had ~40 for Brawl and 16 for Proj M. I think they made 300 off of the bake sale alone. I'll link the event if I can find it tomorrow.

'V'

Smash Lord
So apparently Jebailey has some big announcement concerning P:M on Friday night of CEO. I'll be there firsthand, so if it's actually something big, I'll be sure to report it.

'V'

Smash Lord
I'm gonna try. There are a lot of killers registered for this thing, though. I might not even make it out of pools.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
If jebailey is announcing it it's probably not anything about a new version. PMBR always does things like that themselves with some big reveal trailer.
Which means it'll either be something even cooler, like a big tournament line featuring PM; or something super lame, like making the CEO boxing ring stage nobody cares about a permanent part of PM.
Where did you hear that jebailey is making an announcement, though?

Last edited:

'V'

Smash Lord
It's in the article on the home page of smashboards about the boxing ring stage. It's also on the CEO website in the blog section in the big 16-Man Free-for-All entry (apparently 4 of the competitors are P:M devs, though I only know of Strong Bad).

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Thoughts?: LA having a charity tournament once a year, and trying to grow it to become one, if not, the biggest charity tournament in the country (assuming some don't already exist).
This... so much this. I would pull so many strings to go to a charity tournament.

That said, my attendance greatly depends on the type of charity you're supporting (if you want to discuss this, PM me). A really good place to start would be Charity Navigator as you will be able to see which charities do the most for others without lining their own pockets. Bonuses if there are local charities that also get high scores based upon this.

Of course, they're doing good things so I don't mind a little pocket lining... but some charities are way too focused on profits. You might be surprised.

http://www.charitynavigator.org/

10 Top Notch charities: http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=topten.detail&listid=113

10 consistently high rating charities: http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=topten.detail&listid=100

10 Charities who depend on private donations: http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=topten.detail&listid=17

Local 3/4 star charities: http://www.charitynavigator.org/ind...location=2&stid=21&Submit=Submit&overallrtg=3

Local 4/4 star (top) charities: http://www.charitynavigator.org/ind...location=2&stid=21&Submit=Submit&overallrtg=4

Edit: Also worth noting, currently the Humane Society of the US has a "donor advisory" due to some legal issues that look like they were simply trying to be thorough (involves action against a circus alleged of mistreating elephants). I am firmly convinced, based on other reports I've seen, that Humane Society is infinitely better than the ASPCA in any and every way possible.

What ASPCA actually does can be searched, since some of the results you'll get are graphic I don't think I can link them here. It's really sad stuff. So, if you want to do an animal charity, I'd strongly recommend Humane Society (or a local, non-SPCA animal rescue group maybe? There is also Villalobos Rescue Center which I recommend above all animal charities due to being local and not just helping animals, but people too. It's the show Pit Bulls & Parolees.)

tl;dr: Want an animal charity? Give to Villalobos Rescue Center (local) or Humane Society of US. ASPCA is atrocious.

tl;dr 2: There are also "No Kill" shelters (they must say so) that are strongly recommended.

Last edited:

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Thanks. :)

I could go into much more detail, but to keep it readable, I would be the most motivated to go to tournaments that support direct humanitarian aid (food, water, shelter, international aid, disaster relief), animal welfare/rights (see my previous post), environmental protection, non profit education, and community fundraising & development.

Just my personal opinion that these types tend to do the most good, directly, overall.

Oh yes, and another shout out goes to 100,000 homes (http://100khomes.org/). They're amazing at what they do, and give some of the hardest hit people a second chance at life.

Last edited:

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
You are all worthy. :p Helping others is a free ticket to getting my help, be it research, actually entering tournaments, or even setups.

Yes, setups.

Depending on if I can work with the TO of said tourney about choosing a charity, I'd be more than happy to bring a P:M or Melee setup (Wii+disc/sd card only. My TV is too heavy -and- upstairs :( ). By "work with" I really just mean TO says "is this good" and I say Yes/No <reason here>.

Normally I don't bring setups because I'm overprotective about my stuff, but... I'll make an exception if I can help with a charity tourney.

I'd be willing to do other stuff but I'm not a good bracket manager/person who yells at people to move off setups so yeah. If there's something else I could do, I'd be glad to.

ChKn

Smash Ace
We can tell that Nintendo rep that we're doing a charity event. Would be some good exposure at least.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
A Saturday during:

1. Summer

2. Spring break

3. Thanksgiving

Too many people travel for Christmas, and the other holidays are short and/or don't include Sat. Weekdays, people work, and some people go to church or work on Sundays. Though people work on Sat too, I think it's much less.

To compensate for anyone who gets left out could it be able to be done twice a year?

Top Bottom