• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Louisiana Thread: Flarefox Forever - We are alive.

TehPh1r3PwnzJ00

Smash Apprentice
well im sure we'd have time to do a true round robin (where everyone fights everyone)
so that the tourney results will accurately show the best to worst players that attened, instead of (like eet said) tim righting jon, then me and getting last when his skills are much higher than that. or we could do a reg tourney and the crew battles, or erics idea, or even splitting all the players into pools and having the top ppl from the pools advance to more pools, until we have a winner, but idk how long that would take. the real decision is whether or not to do a true round robin, and if not we can decide what other kind of tourney we should do instead (alont with crew battles)

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
A true round robin's fine. I mean, it'd probably take as long as teams last time plus a few. *shrugs*

I don't know. We need another Asian to do the math around here. >_>

Either way, I think people are more inclined not to do a regular tourney just because the people who aren't at y'alls level wont' be able to play as many matches, and it'd be more fun if we play guys of all skill levels anyways.

eet

Smash Ace
Id be interesting to see the lists of best to worse, so Im willing to do that tourny for more accurate results. Its only like 3-5 hours, which is how long we stay in there anyway...well Im threre from like 11 to 10 anyway.

edit:
also having low levels play much better ppl might encourage them to get better.

TehPh1r3PwnzJ00

Smash Apprentice
i agree, and it suks seeing your friends who are new to smash, waste $5 on 2 matches
we can try to do the pool idea but we should split how ever many people show into 4 pools (since we have 4 tvs) and play it out from there. to do that we need to seperate the best players in to different pools, so let's decide on the best 8 players that regularly attend these tourneys. then we can put 2 in each group (1 and 8 in pool 1, 2 and 7 in pool 2, ect.) and randomly split the rest of the players up so that one not-so-great player doesnt get stuck with 5 more experianced guys.
anyone up for making that list?

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Meh, players at the tourneys know who the top 8 are going to be regardless so I'm all up for it. And I'm actually for separating into 4 brackets cause it's be really bad for the guy who lost overall. I mean, it'd just suck balls if I found out I was the worst smasher int he venue. Atleast this way, we could argue that we had a bad pool to play in. *shrugs*

And you should also look into separating people into pools by skill and by the charactesr they play. 3+ marths in one pool would be insanely gay.

>_>

Screw my list.

eet

Smash Ace
Im for a true RR - all vs all for the title of the states greatest smasher! (<-- a sexy title like that can only be given at a true rr)

edit to turn on my sexy sig.

Flarefox

Smash Ace
If we split into two pools, and assuming that 30 people show for RR...

The number of matches evaluates to C(15, 2) x 2 = 210 matches...plus the grand finals, so 211.
Yeah, that's around 12 hours of matches on 4 tvs.

If we split into 5 pools, 75 prematches + 10 finals = 85 matches...I predict a 5 hour RR with 5 pools and one winners pool afterwards. 5 hours isn't too bad, so we might want to consider splitting into 5 initially.

TehPh1r3PwnzJ00

Smash Apprentice
i think this might be a good idea:
4 tvs
a pool of 6 players on each tv ----(6/2)(6-1) = 15 matches per tv
24 players total
top 3 from each tv advance
12 players left
pools of 4 players on 3 different tvs (1 tv for friendlies) ----(4/2)(4-1) = 6 matches per tv
top 2 from each tv advance
last 6 players play each other in perfect rr style ----(6/2)(6-1) = 15 matches split on 2 tvs = about the time of 8 matches (friendlies on the other 2 tvs, or we could start the crew battles here)
so total this style would take 15 + 6 + 8 = 29 total matches which is dangerously close to the usual amount of matches it would take for a tourney.
and we could still have the games best 2/3 and have time for a crew tourney after
everyone would just have to listen to me to help it move faster
and not leave when they have matches coming up >.>

Flarefox

Smash Ace
I'm not hurt Taylor. You can say I sucked in singles at the tourney. I still love the game and I get better everyday. My fox has gotten insanely better against falco lately.

TehPh1r3PwnzJ00

Smash Apprentice
ffox i know ur too pro for me and it was just sleep depravation getting to you.
thats kinda how i was at the DS tournament so i know the feeling
i'll never forget u ****** me at the laf. tourney and i dont ever think of u as a noob
my real list would inculde all the other players minus tim and plus ffox
edit:: dustin would be in top 16
and phil
maybe sars too?
and bermuda?
idk

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Maybe sars.

Rofl. There's now way I've got a shot. I tighten up too easily and freak out. I'd say shyguy's definitely in the top 16. The guy got better since I first friendlied him, no doubt about it.

TehPh1r3PwnzJ00

Smash Apprentice
there really arent that many good players in our region. 16 players means half of the last mall tourney. im sure most people who post in this topic are better than the other half of players that dont post on swf

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
*shrugs*

It's a nice thought either way :D

And Manko and company wont' be going so i guess my chances are up.

TehPh1r3PwnzJ00

Smash Apprentice
actually compared to other regions, La is pwning the smash scene. gawes's biweekly last week in ATL only had like 10 ppl, but here in little baton rouge, our biweekly had 31
and probably more than half of those ppl l cancel
and 95% of them atleast know what it is.
id say we're doing really well.
sars, ur list included 1 more person than eets, who was it?

TehPh1r3PwnzJ00

Smash Apprentice
but it doesnt matter, gameware tourneys are officially canceled!
;.;
cry the beloved smash scene.

edit:: tourney's possibly still on if we give the store a slice of the pot$
which means entry fees might be going up >.>

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
It's all cool, I guess. Just hope the prices dont' jack up really high though. $5 is great for local tourneys, but if that doubles . . . ewwww . . .

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Well, if the venue's in BR, then I've got no idea since I don't know the place. And in my experience, EB games tends to be really closed in. But I think that Entel said something about an internet Cafe in La Place which is right inbetween New Orleans and Baton Rouge, and it wouldn't be extremely taxing for guys like Flare to drive to it.

I'll have to confirm that later though. Right now, i've got go and rest.

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
Personally, i would just like to see how the top 6-ish fair against each other in a RR. Who is the at-the-moment best player? Which player will prove to be the most difficult against the other top players? That, imo, is a good way of finding out.
Thing is, finding those top 6 is only unarguable so far.
IMO, i think a certain 4 have stood out enough w/ tourney placings(where participated) and could be, at the least, mutually agreed apon by most LA smashers.
John, Taylor, Lee, and Myself(in no particular order)
Not to say someone in....8th Rank couldn't beat one of us, but i think those 4 have performed the best against the majority of other smashers, AND are quite capable of taking each other out w/out good/bad luck being a factor.

But i deffinately think other players shouldn't be overlooked, which is why i think anyone else who can be considered qualified should also be in this so-far pretend RR of mine. Ray, imo, is probably the most eligible candidate...but Flarefox, Eet, RRRussia, Ricky, Blaise, ShyGuy, etc, etc, etc, all have a shot, especially if they improve even more!
Maybe, next big tourney that someone can host could pull this together. It wouldn't be hard to implement, especially in the pool system stated by Taylor.

example...27 people show up.

Pool #1:6
Pool #2:6
Pool #3:5
Pool #4:5
Pool #5:5

Each pool does RR. Top 3 players move on to Round2.

Pool #1:5
Pool #2:5
Pool #3:5

Top 2 players from each pool move on. Leaving 6 Final Players for a Final RR to see whose the best.
This example was made in mid w/ an uneven number of players, and as u can see, it still works perfectly fine. The number of players per pool, and Pools is easily adjusted to fit the criteria, no matter how many smashers show up.

This method is more prone for an accurante top 6 smashers, then single elimination + Loser's bracket, Plus it guarantees even the worst smashers get many more fights, then they would have gotten normally!

EDIT: i think this post is beautiful, and that you all should read.....twice.
FOR NO REASON!!

Peach_Fanatic

Smash Rookie
Pierre Part, Louisiana. Once you find it, you're a
Whoa, whoa, whoa.
1) Taylor, why can't we have the tournaments at GW anymore? Did we anger them in any way? Do they just instantaneously hate us?
2) Even as it stands, I wouldn't have found a way to get to GW, so maybe this is for the better. I dunno.
3) I actually have no preference in the kind of battles, if at all. It doesn't matter to me.

I hope we can figure everything out. I just started going to these; I don't want to stop for anything...

partnerofLuigi

Smash Cadet
I wish I could go, but I'm not a threat to anyone on my current level LOL!!!!! so even if I did attend Sars you could just overlook me or something until I get better! this just gives me an excuse to practice more before the next time I attend a LA tourny, don't let an outsider show you up either :chuckle: *continues practicing new stuff*

Bermuda

Smash Rookie
With regards to Cyphus's pool-play idea:

---------------------------------------
YES, THIS COULD MOVE AT A SMOOTH PACE IF WE HAVE A DECENT SUPPLY OF TVS AND CUBES. Just remember that we need ample space to have such a tournament run smoothly.
---------------------------------------

----------------------------------------
When the second round comes about, depending on the amount of TVs you have, you can move the tournament to a set amount of TVs and leave all others to play on the other TVs. That is, you can do this if some of the TV owners don't need to leave early, taking their TVs with them.
----------------------------------------

There are some people out there that could probably shock you when they make the top 6, especially if you design the tournament to be this way. At the last tournament, lots of the "top players" went into the losers' bracket quite early as the bracket was unbalanced. You figure that happens to everyone at some point. Eventually, the mall tournament's non-seeding double elimination format becomes inferior to such formats as you've mentioned because:

a.) there is not a reasonable seeding system to separate the players. You kind of get an idea of who the best players are, but sometimes there are really good players that just get really bad matchups. Pool play would be more interesting because you can play against people of all skill levels--the POOL allows for all players to play lots of people amongst a diverse crowd. This would be better for some players that have little or no chance of improving much in tournament play because they play people like Cyphus or Lee in the first round and then they go right into the losers' bracket.

A double elimination tournament can give you a general idea of who the best players are, but I don't think it gives you a feel for which players are on the cusp of becoming very good or even great players--players that are in that top-second/mid-second quartile. The development of Smash could definitely benefit by having players play against a variety of others from through pool play. After playing in the pools (in which the skill level should be evenly distributed initially), players can gauge how they rank with respect to other players in Louisiana.

In a double-elim tournament, some of the talented players may get a bad break or two and they'll be out of the tournament. Here, they have more chances to advance and maybe something will go their way and they'll have a chance to advance. Even if they don't, they'll get a feel of what they need to do the next time to give themselves a better chance to advance to the "next level."

b.) more smashers throughout the area will be able to play against each other in matches that aren't necessarily friendlies. I've noticed that some of the players that go to the tournaments don't seem to play as many friendlies as others. Eventually, with the pool-play idea in place, everyone will have played everyone (or nearly so) after, say, n tournaments.

c.) I believe that people would care more about improving their games if there were more incentive. In this case, the incentive doesn't have to be more money or anything. I think it's a great idea to give people more games for their money. Personally, when I play a game, I like to play it for a while.

d.) The champion will not only be the person who had the best matchups and who caught the most breaks. In this format, players would have to play through 14-16 games to win the championship. Plus, one loss won't hurt you badly. You can rebound from a defeat and play a good game against your next opponent and record a win. Conversely, you can have a good win and suffer a defeat in the next round, and you can rebound from that.

e.) If you play this many games, you'll definitely have to have a DEFINITE strategy going into most games, especially if you want to win. For example, you'll only play each person in your pool once, so you'll have to develop some advanced strategy if you want to advance. Some of the factors that may determine victory may include how well you know you opponent. Try your best to give him a bad matchup. :urg:

All in all, I believe that this format could easily help you determine who the top few players really are. The top players will be those who make the final bracket consistently.

Cyphus, the pool idea is an excellent idea and I support it 100%. I believe I had mentioned it to a few people before but no one really cared to take it into consideration. I'm glad you thought of this, as well. Thanks a bunch.

--Bermuda

Kingcore Koopa

Smash Rookie
This PC Cafe's even further from where me and SirSka live. I guess distance is not the problem as much as where we are going to be holding the tournament. Theres still a chance GW will let us play there but Bermudas right. We need lots of room for this to run effectively. Any other possible locations where we can run our tourneys from now on and cooperate with us?

Bermuda

Smash Rookie
I thought that CyberLAN in Lafayette had just about the right amount of space for a tourney. Maybe if BR has a place about the size of CyberLAN, the tournament could run effectively. You don't necessarily have to run your tournament in a gaming center. Just make sure you have enough furniture to make everyone comfortable. Just make sure you have enough sockets so that you can plug in all the hardware. Oh yeah, you should also make sure it's OK to hold the tournament in that particular place.

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
Top 20 IMO

John
Lee
Cyphus
Taylor
Ray
Eet
Ffox
tim
Blaise
shyg
Ricky
Dude from n.o that plays samus
Dustin
jesse
Bermuda
Phil
sars
entel
tony
vaughn
(Hmm i dunno sumthing like that, theres probly more people that could be on there and the order could be a little different)

I like those 20 over any other state cept like texas cali and ny, so lets go take over america :urg:

RSIA

Smash Cadet
shy guy io dont think vaughn should be way at the bottom .. hes like.. good and stuff also i think taylor is better than john wu.. john wu just camps and plays all gay and ********..

Top Bottom