• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Louisiana Thread: Flarefox Forever - We are alive.

smash-con

Smash Journeyman
I went to the Baton Rouge Holiday Inn today to check out the space they have. If all works out it looks like we have a new venue. Who in Baton Rouge is offering housing for players and how many is your max? I would like to list this in our thread and fb event.

Tesh

Smash Hero
BSP, some things in life are just for fun. When I go to Whataburger and get a Monterrey Melt with a Large chocolate shake, I don't need to ask myself "how will this better my life?" or "why didn't I make a profit eating this burger?". Likewise, hobbies don't need to advance you or make you money. Its about enjoyment, and thats what you need to look at. If you aren't enjoying the game, community and atmosphere, then it might be time to hang it up and move on.

In my city, no one practices anymore, but we still play often because its a fun thing to do. Maybe we go out to the movies and after that its "lets play doubles" or "fight my lucas". Its about having a good time, not just making measurable progress all the time.

Don't ever let anyone make you feel bad about what you enjoy doing in your spare time, not even your parents.

smash-con

Smash Journeyman

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
BSP, some things in life are just for fun. When I go to Whataburger and get a Monterrey Melt with a Large chocolate shake, I don't need to ask myself "how will this better my life?" or "why didn't I make a profit eating this burger?". Likewise, hobbies don't need to advance you or make you money. Its about enjoyment, and thats what you need to look at. If you aren't enjoying the game, community and atmosphere, then it might be time to hang it up and move on.

In my city, no one practices anymore, but we still play often because its a fun thing to do. Maybe we go out to the movies and after that its "lets play doubles" or "fight my lucas". Its about having a good time, not just making measurable progress all the time.

Don't ever let anyone make you feel bad about what you enjoy doing in your spare time, not even your parents.
This. I don't understand people who quit smash after playing for so long.

D

Deleted member

i can house like 8 relatively comfortably. but it will probably be texas melee that gets the spots

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
You know the weekend after this one is gonna be pretty busy for smash. Apocalypse in TX, Play N Trade in LA, Tha Shrimp in LA, and Collision in TriState.

BSP

Smash Legend
This is just a hobby and just like music, art, or working out which in my opinion are almost complete wastes of time and will not lead anywhere special 90% of the time. You will spend time on your hobby to get better and that is only natural.
Music was an example I used in my post. It can definitely lead somewhere positive. Sure, you probably won't become a rockstar or something unless you're really talented and committed, but I see positive benefits to learning to play something or sing. It has potential to go somewhere.

Art...I see art as "real" or "useful" talent. This is a great example actually since my best friend is an amazing artist, and it's part of the reason he's where he is now. He's studying at Washington University at St. Louis and is, from what I know, doing wonderfully. His passion and talent for art allowed him to be capable of making a portfolio that helped him gain admission to the University. He art was featured at our high school in some spots. It could and did get him somewhere, and even if it didn't, I'm sure more people would admire his talent in art than mine in a video game.

Working out as a waste...? It's good for your health and helps to keep you looking healthy and attractive. It's a great relief from stress too, not sure how you're seeing this one as a waste. Heck, this is one of the main reasons I don't beat myself up too badly for playing DDR as much as I do (but even then, I could go to a gym and....)

Taylor touched on this...

you cant let sociological constructs convince you of what you should and should not be doing.
...but that's just one of the influences on me that I consider important, and I believe that to a degree you need to care about what society cares about.

In the end I respect whatever you decide to do. Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in and wish you luck with everything.

-Erick
Thanks.

but over all i feel very blessed and happy and idk where i would be without competitive gaming.
I'm glad for you, but in my case, I have a very hard time seeing myself as worse off if I wouldn't have ever gotten into competitive brawl, since, as I said, I think I could've used the time in a more productive manner.

you seem like the kind of person that can balance all things and do well in life while enjoying yourself in the mean time. best of luck.
I don't think I did very well. I had a chance to dig up my stats.

Power Count was 2753

Power Time was 3829:00; I know this can be inflated by just leaving the wii on with the game running, but the only time I would ever do that was at tournament. That's at least 159.5 days I was doing something smash related, and it's probably an underestimate since it doesn't include tourney driving time, tourneys I didn't have my wii on, time on Smashboards, time on AllisBrawl, etc. That's almost 5.5 months worth devoted to a game, almost half a year. Where did it help get me?

Play time in Offline matches was 2307:03, which is around 96 days; this could be inflated too, but it's probably not too far off.

I had 26,987 Online matches with 931:12 Online Play time with Friends, and 403:25 with Anyone, and the last two are only in match time. That's 55 days of time in online matches, which doesn't include the setup times and the times I was just looking for matches.

I'm sure these aren't the biggest times ever and it's over a course of five years but I know I could've done something better with all of that time, and that's what bothers me and leads me to think I should quit.

What he is saying from my misunderstanding is his ranking from WHOBO made him realize he isn't gonna get the big money.A flashback happens when his mom asks "Where will this get you in life?"
I don't care about the money, I knew competitive smash wasn't a great financial investment from the get-go. I do see it as time not well spent though.

The magnitude of whatever you're doing is the important part. I'm not so concerned with advancing myself in EVERYTHING to the point that I forget have fun here and there, but I think there's a line between having fun playing a video game and competing in one, and I put too much time into the latter. I should've grabbed my friend's stats while I was at it so we could compare casual to competitive. The magnitude of my time with Smash is the problem. I, unfortunately, still like the game and the community (the LA community at least), but I still see the whole thing as bad for me in the long run.

Somebody explain to me,what's so good about the BBR.
The BBR is worthless outside of the tier list. I was in it for a little bit. Here are my issues with it:

Not Restrictive Enough: Evidence being that I got in. I can't even make it out of pools at national, yet I made it into the group of the elites? I wasn't a huge TO either. All I did was host some locals. I'm not that good with my characters either. No one really knows me and look at my Whobo performance (not forgetting about you Brawlman, but I'm always going to see the 4th place finish as primarily my fault).

If you remember the top 5 for each character thread: From when it was last updated,

2/5 top MKs were in the BBR
0/5 Diddy Kongs
1/5 Snakes
1/5 Falcos
1/5 Pikachus
2/5 Warios
1/5 ZSS
1/5 Lucario
2/5 D3

Some of the characters had decent rep, but you can see where I'm going with this. It was...questionable, to say the least.

Lack of Respect: Since people like me could get in, that leads to people saying there are "randoms" in the BBR, which leads to a lot of people not listening and/or caring. The URC was was independent of the BBR at some point, but the first name of it was BBR-URC, so it did stem from it. That flopped, badly. The only people with "real" power in the community are the MAJOR TOs like Alex Strife, Keitaro, Xyro, etc., and that's mainly because of the ruleset since most regions will have their rulesets mirror whatever the next national is going to be. None of the three TOs I just mentioned are in the BBR for various reasons, but that just shows how unnecessary it is outside of the tier list. The FGC is huge compared to smash and I don't think they have some organized "head" group.

You don't need to be in the BBR to reallly do anything. The tier list is nice, but that's it.

I don't think playing an instrument will help me in the long run,uou could form a band and that's it.You spend money fixing the parts on it or you start wanting more of it.

Maybe (big maybe) that's true for you, but let me go back for me:

Let's use my Brawl Power time. That's around half a year I was doing something Smash related.

Instead of playing Brawl competitively, let's say I picked up the trumpet in around 09 when I started going to tourneys (I think...)

It took me one quarter of middle school (around 4 months of actual class time I think) to pick up the basics of trombone at 12 years old. It really wouldn't/shouldn't take me too long to pick up trumpet since trombone isn't that far from it and I'm older and smarter in general. The hardest adjustment would be reading treble clef.

Now, put that 1/2 year's worth of time of Brawl into trumpet. I probably would've gotten pretty good.

If I would've actually liked my instrument, I could've done the Baton Rouge Youth Orchestra, or go out for All Parish and All State Band.

At college, Yale's got a jazz band and a symphony orchestra. Maybe I would've been good enough to go out for those? Nobody knows, but what I do know is that since I used the time somewhere else, I'm sitting here, not knowing. Other hobbies can go somewhere.

-Se7en-

Banned via Warnings
You have the title of best Luigi and Mario in the state,you got complimenting by Florida dude.I don't think playing an instrument will help me in the long run,uou could form a band and that's it.You spend money fixing the parts on it or you start wanting more of it.

Smash is similar to an instrument,pretty much like the music community : You have your relaxed guys,and quite a lot of d***s.If enough time was invested you could be a popular musician or in our case a top player.You could go where Boss never went.

You have the potential to take out JNIG,or throw yourself in our top 3 PR.

You can do whatever,but it's gonna be disappointing for me to not see your sick Mario and insane Luigi.

D

Deleted member

P:M teams will be the side event. tournament starts at noon. get here at 11 to get set up and registered. it would be amazing if this actually started on time. i would love it if everyone showed up before noon, even if you don't want to play P:M. get everyone here, play friendlies, have everything run smoothly. if anyone wants any entree fees raised, let me know. i like to keep the numbers low though

http://smashboards.com/threads/tha-shrimp-003-november-16th-2013-baton-rouge-la.342013/

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
You have the title of best Luigi and Mario in the state,you got complimenting by Florida dude.I don't think playing an instrument will help me in the long run,uou could form a band and that's it.You spend money fixing the parts on it or you start wanting more of it.

Smash is similar to an instrument,pretty much like the music community : You have your relaxed guys,and quite a lot of d***s.If enough time was invested you could be a popular musician or in our case a top player.You could go where Boss never went.

You have the potential to take out JNIG,or throw yourself in our top 3 PR.

You can do whatever,but it's gonna be disappointing for me to not see your sick Mario and insane Luigi.
I guess I was before your time... My Luigi went placed BSP never even dreamed.

GOL | 482 | JSalt

The Folse Deity
NNID
JSalty
I've never posted so much in so many different threads in one day in my entire life, wut

Curlz, you going to Open World? I wanna see if this "Apex training" is doing you any good.

D

Deleted member

also i need set ups. for real. i currently have 5 crts, 2 melee set ups and 1 p:m set ups. so bring a wii with pm and melee preferably and if you can fit it, a crt. i have space for about 7 tvs. so if i get 2 more tvs it will be perfect. and as many melee/pm set ups as possible please. ty

D

Deleted member

also there are a decent number of new/newer players coming. im committing now to playing friendlies with you. call me out of this because i usually am gay about it, but i want to expand the community.

in melee that is. sudai will play as much pm as you want.

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
So I took down supposedly the best Smasher at this dorm at my college yesterday, and I will never grow tired of the reactions I see when someone gets shut down. They talk trash, get trashed, and then start hating on whoever trashed them. I three stock this guy with Marth (who isn't even an A tier main for me) and he walk away and starts talking about me trying to play it cool that he totally didn't just get destroyed, saying that I don't play the game for fun and I'm a trihard and stuff. Happens every time and it never ceases to make me laugh. Please tell me I'm not the only one who experiences this.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
Best kid in a specific dorm? That's great. That's better than the neighborhood melee king.

Sudai

Stuff here
The first time I took down the LATech campus 'big shot' in Brawl was a 3 stock at a random campus tourney. for the finals and everyone was awestruck. Only reactions were a few people asking me to teach them, the dude I beat just kind of sat there in silence for like 20min staring at the results screen. Felt kinda bad.

GOL | 482 | JSalt

The Folse Deity
NNID
JSalty
The biggest and most recent one for me was Open World, as I chronicled to yall. Iceman and I bodied Sam Montgomery, who played for LSU football at the time and is now in the NFL. I've had specific requests to take down certain big shots from friends of mine. Some people were in awe and silenced, some dropped the game that moment, some asked for advice and such, and the rest got mad.

Top Bottom