• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - NO SPOILERS, USE THE SPOILER THREAD PLEASE

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Skyward Sword only uses the IR sensor for calibration. It sounds like you either have a faulty Motionplus gyro, or (more likely) you are calibrating it incorrectly.

The game doesn't use the IR sensor at all. Hope you can figure out what it is!

D

Deleted member

I am so hyped for this game. Starting tomorrow afternoon, I'll give my thoughts on Skyward Sword on a daily basis (when I have time to game that is).

Boofy!

Smash Champion

it came.. it finally came =) and is currently fetching some high prices on ebay and the like.. heres the kicker, keep sealed and buy another standard edition? or just open and say fudge it? I really don't wanna wait to play it lol

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Whatever you want with it. I'd keep it if it were me.

Man, the way I hold the wii mote is just not suited for the sword swinging .-. I always hold it a bit tilted up, (like a kendo stick), so when I swing horizontal, it sometimes registers as diagonal.

etecoon

Smash Hero
Skyward Sword only uses the IR sensor for calibration. It sounds like you either have a faulty Motionplus gyro, or (more likely) you are calibrating it incorrectly.

The game doesn't use the IR sensor at all. Hope you can figure out what it is!
this is still problematic as it relies on the sensor bar for calibration, particularly if you tend to sit closer to your TV or are in a room that interferes with it. no big deal during most of the grounded play, I can move back a bit real fast to center, but it's a pain in the *** when
flying
because the game attempts to correct it on a consistent basis and it just screws it up more, I had to pause like every minute to center while I was spending more time in the
sky

also unskippable text is terrible for immersion because when it's something repeated and several boxes long it just activates my ADD mode, like if you sit and play the
bamboo game
for a while it just takes me out of the game when he drones on and on after every attempt rather than letting me play. not so much of a problem for most story text since you'll only see it once unless you somehow get a game over, which I doubt most people have seen in a 3D zelda game in the past decade, but for other things where it gets repetitive it would've been nice

the
lumpy pumpkin
harp
chore is a major offender of this too, and it's something most people are going to have to try multiple times because the game literally tells you to do it the wrong way.

repeated forced cutscenes like the
guardians awakening
are also really bad for the pacing at times. I'm all for being cinematic but that should be left for the story portions of the game IMO, I don't like having movies constantly appearing during gameplay

this thread is making me feel like I'm being too negative about this game :/ I really do like it but it just isn't perfect and I have to disagree when people say it doesn't have issues. that being said I don't value something for being flawless alone, I think LTTP is the closest to flawless the series has gotten but it's probably 3-5 on my personal rankings because it doesn't do as many great things as some of the more flawed games also do. SS does more than enough great things to make up for the flaws that it does have, it will probably be top 3 in the series for me in spite of some hiccups it has

kupo15

Smash Hero
So I've ran into a problem that's keeping me from playing this game, and was hoping one of you all might be able to help me. Somehow the sensor for my wii mote is getting messed up in the game, but only in the game. I am able to move left and right just fine, but I cannot move the sensor up at all unless I am pointing the remote towards the ceiling, and floor for down, which will get it to move very slowly. I can hit the menu button during the game and move the cursor around perfectly there, but as soon as I go back to the game it's screwing up again. Despite being recalibrating every time I load the game, the problem persists beginning at the title screen. I've done the recalibration from the game launch, tried just putting it face down during the game, turning off the Wii and everything, but I can't seem to fix it. Like I said it reads the motions fine anytime other than during the actual game. If anyone can help that would be awesome because I really want to keep playing this game and haven't been able to the last few days.
Yea, I had a similar issue too. I left my golden wiimote at home so I bought a WM+ attachment to use for a few days before returning it and it messed up. My bird was going crazy and I couldn't trigger the trials gates. That's motion controls for you. Too much of a hassle. :/

Spire

III
BRoomer
I feel bad for all of you who've experienced controller issues. I played through the whole game with no qualms. Understanding the technology at hand, of course there's gonna be a blip here and there, thus the inclusion of re-centering via the d-pad. I had a blast playing the game and during certain segments (namely the final boss), I found myself on my feet, jumping around the room because of how exciting and responsive the controls were.

Sorry to hear about your flawed experiences, because mine was fantastic.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Yeah I stood up to play all the cool parts and only went to sit down whenever my feet hurt.

I also noticed that when sitting down I had more issues with the motion controls (which were easily fixed with re-centering). Maybe that's a problem you guys have?

LLDL

Smash Hero
*Link takes a dump*.

"Master. By my calculations, the fruitlessness of your efforts shall increase by .07 percent if time is wasted on such inconsequential actions."

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
I feel bad for all of you who've experienced controller issues. I played through the whole game with no qualms. Understanding the technology at hand, of course there's gonna be a blip here and there, thus the inclusion of re-centering via the d-pad. I had a blast playing the game and during certain segments (namely the final boss), I found myself on my feet, jumping around the room because of how exciting and responsive the controls were.

Sorry to hear about your flawed experiences, because mine was fantastic.
Initially, I was having a LOT of controller issues, but after experimenting with sensor bar placement an distance from TV, I eventually got something that works without much issue. It was much easier to play the game standing up rather than sitting. However, the same can't be expected from the average player. Most people won't be able to intuitively figure out these kinds of things, nor should they be expected to. Nintendo should have some easily accessible guidelines for calibration and sensor bar placement that they encourage people to read.

I played the entire game sitting down since my TV + Wii is under my loft bed, and I barely had any issues. I had to recenter my Wiimote a couple of times, but honestly, it's just a single button push. I didn't get hung over it. There were also times where got the wrong sword commands, but then I realized it wasn't because of the waggle, but because I was actually being imprecise with my own arm movements. Same with empty commands. My waggle spamming moved faster than Link's sword, so it was obvious that the game would either eat some of my commands, or buffer them for later. When doing more pronounced arm movements (aka swinging your entire hand instead of just your wrist), you take longer, which also helped me understand why standing and playing felt so responsive.

For kicks, I pulled the TV forward, moved back, and pushed some furniture away so I could swing my sword like a crazy person during the final boss, and I had no issues at all. It was quite fun actually. :3

TheSaudiMizer

Smash Journeyman
I was having no problems with the controls until recently but yeah I confirmed today that my wiimote is definitely the problem. I don't really understand what happened as I took good care of it for the 3 days I had it, but hopefully Nintendo will send me a new one before the withdrawals kick in.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
The "Koloktos - Pinch" musical theme is pure bliss. Definitely up there in my list of favorite boss themes. It's giving me a bit of a champion-like vibe, like this is something that should be seen through to the end. Simply love it.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
The "Koloktos - Pinch" musical theme is pure bliss. Definitely up there in my list of favorite boss themes. It's giving me a bit of a champion-like vibe, like this is something that should be seen through to the end. Simply love it.
Indeed, he's my favorite boss to fight and the music really makes it more intense.

D

Deleted member

So I finally played through Skyward Sword and I haven't reached the first dungeon, but I do have a lot to say.

I've never really been a huge fan of Zelda. While I do consider it a top tier series for Nintendo with it having some of the best games for the consoles it's on, it never really interested me that much. I was always a person who prefer fighting, racing, and platformers over a RPG (in which I never got into until a few years ago). Even when I had Wind Waker and downloading Ocarina of Time from the Virtual Console, they were good, they just didn't do it for me. So I decided to give Zelda another try, this time with Skyward Sword.

Before this game, I didn't have the motivation to buy Wii Motion Plus. Truth be told, the reason why I haven't been playing my Wii much recently is not due to a lack of games, but rather me just getting back into Gran Turismo 5 and focusing on the Smash 4 community. If not for the latter, I would be playing video games on a frequent basis for both systems, so I enjoy both systems and I regret not being able to spend more time with them. Which makes me even more happy to play Skyward Sword.

After fiddling with my new Wii Remote Plus for half a hour, I finally read up on the instructions and got it to work (thank god I didn't spend it away ) and got it to work. I decided to move it around for a little on the Skyward Sword menu (which contains a lovely menu theme) and it pleased me how accurate it was in comparison to the Wii Remote by itself.

Then I started the game.
In Link's dream, Fi is in there trying to tell you there is a "great destiny" you have to fulfill,
so I was wondering to myself where I was going and what happens. Surprisingly, I end up in
an academy
which seemed somewhat unfitting for a Zelda game. I pretty much expected Link to be in his own cabin of sort
instead of living in an academy, but then again, I guess it's college to become knights?

I explored the entire academy, despite
all rooms being locked except for Gaepora's room
and got some advice from
Pippet
. Also good was that I
helped out the useless Flech
and got some Rupees for it.

I then learned some things about the game
(and helped out to feed Gaepora's dog)
and went straight to where the ceremony was suppose to take place. Zelda was beautiful and wasn't even a princess. Not only that, Link and Zelda had more personality then they did in other Zelda games which indicated a stronger relationship between the two then what was present in other games
especially since they are childhood friends
. Already, some development is forming and I feel that it is only helped by their choice to (almost completely) abstain from voice acting. After
talks about Zelda's worry of Link not winning the race to receive a status, Zelda prompted Link to practice knowing he hasn't done that much, but then realize that Link was about to die, so she called her Loft Bird to save Link and they went back upstair.

Little did they know that
the jerk known as Groose was behind all this among with his two friends Groose and Cawlin (who looks like the elf you saw in the 1964's Rudolph The Red Nose Reindeer's hour TV show). Zelda of course did not like Groose as it showed by Groose failure to attract Zelda to him and even called him out for picking on Link
. This resembles a glorified college rivalry where the jealously gets the best out of people.

Link and Zelda then went to find his Crimson Red Loft Bird. First I practiced with Link with getting a sword from
Eagus's Sparring Room
and learning how to use it, which came in handy when battling in the caves (it was pretty easy with only small enemies in the way). I then foiled Groose's plan by
freeing my bird and using it again
which was actually quite fun to learn and destroy Groose and his friend to get the status.

The ceremony, while quiet, is something that I'll remember for days to come and along with the flying shows the expanded childhood relationship between Link and Zelda. Suddenly, much to my unexpectedness,
Zelda gets sucked down a tornado
I was like "What just happened and what am I doing?"

I returned to my dorm room, unconscious with Gaepora standing by me, wondering what happened to Zelda, but confident she was alive. Then Fi chased me along the room with me begging for an explanation of what was going on and where she was leading me to.
I then realized that the dream was true,
I did have a great destiny
. I was now in awe about what just happened. The story was starting to come together and everything was starting to be explained. The next day, I got up, got ready, and got my shield, ready to rescue Zelda.

The one thing that bothers me now is that the frame isn't really 60 FPS, but more like 30 MPH like my Wii version of Sonic Unleashed. It seems a bit slower then it should be and doesn't really give out that feel that it's a modern game. Galaxy did it, why not Zelda?

But that being said, this game is pretty fun. Being able to ride on a Loft Bird is a lot of fun to do and experimenting with Wii Motion Plus adds a new element of gaming to it that should have been utilized a long time ago and makes motion controls truly a standing point for the first time since well, the Wii series. It is a shame that it won't transfer in full form to the Wii-U as I would have liked to see it expand. So far, it's shaping up to be a solid game and I have not even reached the surface!

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Fourth dungeon boss was amazing. Definitely the coolest one so far in my experience. I even died on it :O. I love that the bosses aren't all so predictable and simplistic patterns like in Twilight Princess (and even Wind Waker, to a lesser extent)

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
I am sooooo happy I didn't spoil anything about this game to myself. <3

Just beat the desert dungeon. That boss fight felt a lot different than most Zelda bosses. The cutscene afterwards was pretty cool, too, though I thought that
Ghirahim's dialouge in it was a bit cheesy.
Really enjoying this game so far.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
(This is a spoiler concerning an aspect of Beedle, and requirements to see this facet.)
Beedle's eloquent loquaciousness when you speak to him at night (There is a bed in Beedle's airship. If you sleep in it for the night, you can converse with him at the remote island in the northeast corner of the map) really threw me for a loop. I honestly did not anticipate this from Beedle, LOL

This was worth the 70 bucks I spent for the game.

M@v

Subarashii!
Playing through this now. Didn't read any of the thread yet because I don't want anything spoiled.

Right now I'm in the desert making my way into the temple of time.

I'll probably repost when im done with the game, which may be a while because i have a massively busy school week coming up T_T

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
how do you people not realize that by putting the part of the game you are at in spoiler tags, it renders the spoiler useless? Nobody knows if it's ok to hover over the spoiler because people are all at different spots in the game. You could be halfway through the game or done with the game and there's no way to tell without hovering over the spoilers.

I can't believe I have to tell people this, let alone three times.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
You've been on SWF since '01.

Should you really be surprised, or is this just disappointment?

Spire

III
BRoomer
So I finally played through Skyward Sword and I haven't reached the first dungeon, but I do have a lot to say.

I've never really been a huge fan of Zelda. While I do consider it a top tier series for Nintendo with it having some of the best games for the consoles it's on, it never really interested me that much. I was always a person who prefer fighting, racing, and platformers over a RPG (in which I never got into until a few years ago). Even when I had Wind Waker and downloading Ocarina of Time from the Virtual Console, they were good, they just didn't do it for me. So I decided to give Zelda another try, this time with Skyward Sword.

Before this game, I didn't have the motivation to buy Wii Motion Plus. Truth be told, the reason why I haven't been playing my Wii much recently is not due to a lack of games, but rather me just getting back into Gran Turismo 5 and focusing on the Smash 4 community. If not for the latter, I would be playing video games on a frequent basis for both systems, so I enjoy both systems and I regret not being able to spend more time with them. Which makes me even more happy to play Skyward Sword.

After fiddling with my new Wii Remote Plus for half a hour, I finally read up on the instructions and got it to work (thank god I didn't spend it away ) and got it to work. I decided to move it around for a little on the Skyward Sword menu (which contains a lovely menu theme) and it pleased me how accurate it was in comparison to the Wii Remote by itself.

Then I started the game.
In Link's dream, Fi is in there trying to tell you there is a "great destiny" you have to fulfill,
so I was wondering to myself where I was going and what happens. Surprisingly, I end up in
an academy
which seemed somewhat unfitting for a Zelda game. I pretty much expected Link to be in his own cabin of sort
instead of living in an academy, but then again, I guess it's college to become knights?

I explored the entire academy, despite
all rooms being locked except for Gaepora's room
and got some advice from
Pippet
. Also good was that I
helped out the useless Flech
and got some Rupees for it.

I then learned some things about the game
(and helped out to feed Gaepora's dog)
and went straight to where the ceremony was suppose to take place. Zelda was beautiful and wasn't even a princess. Not only that, Link and Zelda had more personality then they did in other Zelda games which indicated a stronger relationship between the two then what was present in other games
especially since they are childhood friends
. Already, some development is forming and I feel that it is only helped by their choice to (almost completely) abstain from voice acting. After
talks about Zelda's worry of Link not winning the race to receive a status, Zelda prompted Link to practice knowing he hasn't done that much, but then realize that Link was about to die, so she called her Loft Bird to save Link and they went back upstair.

Little did they know that
the jerk known as Groose was behind all this among with his two friends Groose and Cawlin (who looks like the elf you saw in the 1964's Rudolph The Red Nose Reindeer's hour TV show). Zelda of course did not like Groose as it showed by Groose failure to attract Zelda to him and even called him out for picking on Link
. This resembles a glorified college rivalry where the jealously gets the best out of people.

Link and Zelda then went to find his Crimson Red Loft Bird. First I practiced with Link with getting a sword from
Eagus's Sparring Room
and learning how to use it, which came in handy when battling in the caves (it was pretty easy with only small enemies in the way). I then foiled Groose's plan by
freeing my bird and using it again
which was actually quite fun to learn and destroy Groose and his friend to get the status.

The ceremony, while quiet, is something that I'll remember for days to come and along with the flying shows the expanded childhood relationship between Link and Zelda. Suddenly, much to my unexpectedness,
Zelda gets sucked down a tornado
I was like "What just happened and what am I doing?"

I returned to my dorm room, unconscious with Gaepora standing by me, wondering what happened to Zelda, but confident she was alive. Then Fi chased me along the room with me begging for an explanation of what was going on and where she was leading me to.
I then realized that the dream was true,
I did have a great destiny
. I was now in awe about what just happened. The story was starting to come together and everything was starting to be explained. The next day, I got up, got ready, and got my shield, ready to rescue Zelda.

The one thing that bothers me now is that the frame isn't really 60 FPS, but more like 30 MPH like my Wii version of Sonic Unleashed. It seems a bit slower then it should be and doesn't really give out that feel that it's a modern game. Galaxy did it, why not Zelda?

But that being said, this game is pretty fun. Being able to ride on a Loft Bird is a lot of fun to do and experimenting with Wii Motion Plus adds a new element of gaming to it that should have been utilized a long time ago and makes motion controls truly a standing point for the first time since well, the Wii series. It is a shame that it won't transfer in full form to the Wii-U as I would have liked to see it expand. So far, it's shaping up to be a solid game and I have not even reached the surface!
I enjoyed reading this post a lot. Thanks for sharing!
(This is a spoiler concerning an aspect of Beedle, and requirements to see this facet.)
Beedle's eloquent loquaciousness when you speak to him at night (There is a bed in Beedle's airship. If you sleep in it for the night, you can converse with him at the remote island in the northeast corner of the map) really threw me for a loop. I honestly did not anticipate this from Beedle, LOL

This was worth the 70 bucks I spent for the game.
Dude, totally. That was my favorite "secret" of the game. What a dude.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
how do you people not realize that by putting the part of the game you are at in spoiler tags, it renders the spoiler useless? Nobody knows if it's ok to hover over the spoiler because people are all at different spots in the game. You could be halfway through the game or done with the game and there's no way to tell without hovering over the spoilers.

I can't believe I have to tell people this, let alone three times.
Because there are people in this world who would throw **** to the fan if you even mentioned words like "desert" or "forest."

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
There is a lot of dialogue, but it doesn't really bug me.

On a side note:

<3 Groose

Pre-fourth temple spoiler-ish thing:

Hyrule will forever be called Grooseland

kupo15

Smash Hero
I played the entire game sitting down since my TV + Wii is under my loft bed, and I barely had any issues. I had to recenter my Wiimote a couple of times, but honestly, it's just a single button push. I didn't get hung over it. There were also times where got the wrong sword commands, but then I realized it wasn't because of the waggle, but because I was actually being imprecise with my own arm movements. Same with empty commands. My waggle spamming moved faster than Link's sword, so it was obvious that the game would either eat some of my commands, or buffer them for later. When doing more pronounced arm movements (aka swinging your entire hand instead of just your wrist), you take longer, which also helped me understand why standing and playing felt so responsive.
The reason why you have to recenter all the time is because the item selection is programmed terribly. See, when you select an item, that moment is when the game centers your aiming and since your wiimote is twisted at an odd angle to even select the item, the centering constantly gets messed up. While the Item wheel is a good concept, it doesn't work very well in the game. The game is littered with these programming mistakes, this is what stands out to me and gets me frustrated the most

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
The item wheel works fine.

I never had an issue with item selection centering either.

Seriously the only issues people have with this game are personal gripes : (

kupo15

Smash Hero
I can't believe you aren't noticing these little quirks in how the game is programmed. Every time I've selected any item (its most noticeable with the ones on the left or right) the centering is off. Try this for fun. Select any item with an exaggerated wiimote position, so if its the item on the left, have the wiimote tilt further left than what is necessary to select it. Then you will see how off the centering is when you try to use the item. This is what I am talking about but to a lesser degree obviously.

And I think this even happens when you activate the item already ready to use. If you have say the slingshot ready, point the controller to the right, press B, point the controller at the screen and see how off the centering is. I don't know why they programmed the item selection this way but its stupid.

-QuesoKirby-

Banned via Warnings
I’m 30 hours in and I just landed at the third area, with all side-quests, upgrades and whatnot completed up to this point. It’s hard to put the game down when I get going, haha. Who said that’s a bad thing, though?

etecoon

Smash Hero
I never died on any of the bosses but
the imprisoned
second fight gave me a few game overs, I hate protection missions :( at least I beat it the first time in
boss rush to get the shield
, but it's a really annoying fight

kupo15

Smash Hero
I’ve had no problems with anything control-related in Skyward Sword, so it really does appear that all the issues people seem to be having are on a micro and personal scale. This sucks because even though they’re a minority, they’re the LOUDEST, which gives off a bad impression of this game. People are free to have their opinions, that’s fine, but when someone literally goes out of their way to complain about EVERY LITTLE THING they find, it gets on my nerves. Really shows what kind of pessimistic person they are. So ignore him, Brosuke, there are just some people you can’t reason with. And Kupo, we know you have problems with the game. We get it. This may be news to you, but NO ONE wants to hear you complain for 8462469 pages straight. Get over yourself.

Aaaanyway, just had to get that off my chest. I’m happy to say I’m loving the game so far! I’m 30 hours in and I just landed at the third area, with all side-quests, upgrades and whatnot completed up to this point. It’s hard to put the game down when I get going haha. Who said that’s a bad thing, though? :)
The majority isn't always right. And whats even more annoying than I guess people like me who know whats actually going on in the game are people who think they do but don't. Its more annoying to sit and watch people say the game is perfect and is everything is what was promised when it clearly isn't. It gives the impression that the game is better than it is. There are a lot of things I like about this game...but the execution of those ideas pales in comparison to what came before it or how it SHOULD have been programmed. So its actually people like you who can't be reasoned with since no one from your side have acknowledged or can even understand what the flaws of the game are or know why they are flaws. I don't care if you guys are enjoying the game and saying its great...if you like it then good for you.

I don't go out of my way to make the game a bad experience for you. I was responding to someone else or telling you why you are wrong the same way how people can tell me why my opinions or wrong.
What I'm saying is that it's far from an issue to me.
Thats fine if its not an issue to you or anyone, but not acknowledging it as a flaw is what is annoying. There are flaws in games that I love. They don't bother me but I still recognize them as flaws.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Hey kupo15, could you stop complaining now? The past x amount of pages have consisted of your control complaints. I wish you could have a better experience with the game as we have, but you're practically polluting this thread with gripes now. Take it to Nintendo's customer support.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
It's not a flaw if people prefer it that way.

They did it intentional. They had a reason for it. They stated that playtesters played 400-600 hours each on the game. 400-600

and they even played the game when it was done too.

Top Bottom