• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official The Lean Mean Green Machine - Luigi Gameplay Discussion

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
My Custom Set Up will be:

Bounce Ball for better spacing options and edge guarding ability.

Default Missile

Burial Header for Up-B because while the fast fall is potentially a horrible thing off stage, it is really good on stage because there is less time you are vulnerable.

Mach Cyclone for better recovery.

Lanuigi

Smash Cadet
Last things I remembered but you shall find out in a couple of hours:

-Luigi's Forward B doesnt cancel in mid air when charged too long...only on the ground.
-Luigi's recovery is still meh but not the absolute worst as I thought it was before.
-Luigi got ranked by the SHI-G group in Japan (who also hosted that tournament) as an E ranked character. E were the "worst" characters in the game. However, I dont think Luigi is that bad. I've had a good feeling with him over the past couple weeks and you guys shall too soon

Ozyroth

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ozyroth
Last things I remembered but you shall find out in a couple of hours:

-Luigi's Forward B doesnt cancel in mid air when charged too long...only on the ground.
-Luigi's recovery is still meh but not the absolute worst as I thought it was before.
-Luigi got ranked by the SHI-G group in Japan (who also hosted that tournament) as an E ranked character. E were the "worst" characters in the game. However, I dont think Luigi is that bad. I've had a good feeling with him over the past couple weeks and you guys shall too soon
Oh yeah totally agree. Those **** didn't know **** about our man Luigi.

I think we will need to play him different than brawl and adapt the (if not) most drastically changed character in smash. All the aerial mobility and amazing gimp heavy game (at least in brawl); to a more ground base character with aerial combos and set-ups to smash attacks and the Shoryuken. Can't wait to start hitting the lab tomorrow.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Oh yeah totally agree. Those **** didn't know **** about our man Luigi.

I think we will need to play him different than brawl and adapt the (if not) most drastically changed character in smash. All the aerial mobility and amazing gimp heavy game (at least in brawl); to a more ground base character with aerial combos and set-ups to smash attacks and the Shoryuken. Can't wait to start hitting the lab tomorrow.
He didn't really have aerial mobility in Brawl though, 2nd to last...unless I'm reading this wrong. Also, I think with his improved Dair spike, his gimp game should be stronger...but idk.

Anyways, I'll let ya know what I think of Luigi tomorrow when I have the game.

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
If you enjoyed Brawl Luigi, this game will please you. (I've just been rocking the default ruleset)

The recovery game is pretty weak now, you pretty much have to recover high if you plan to use cyclone, otherwise, it looks like he'll have some trouble making clutch recoveries. The combo game is BEAUTIFUL though, and continues to flow smoothly for the boy.

Though firepunch was nerfed, it's still a shnazzy kill move, and who doesn't enjoy the momentum swing of landing one? F-smash is beautiful. The only problem I can see arising is the same one in Brawl, where we had difficulty actually getting in on characters.

I've only played like 3 matches, just getting a feel for the character, but I'd say he's probably, at best, mid tier. I think he'll be, again, what he was like in Brawl: A strong character who can do serious damage and surprise people, but has some seriously exploitable flaws

i.e: I agree with everything else posted

D

Deleted member

Luigi's got some buffs and nerfs it seems.
The biggest one to me is definitely his recovery. Seeing how low-priority the Green Missile has and how you don't nearly gain as much height from the Luigi Cyclone will hurt him. It's also a shame to see the Super Jump Punch get nerfed...

His juggling abilities, however, are improved. The down throw in particular can help him set up some combos.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
Wait for the console. His recovery will get better. I challenge people to use a wii mote nunchuck to rise with cyclone without jump in brawl. A lot harder to do than with a gcc. 3ds cripples luigi's recovery. Also lol this is a inside joke with my crew, but the missile has always had low priority in brawl so the low priority in smash 4 is nothing new.

I hate that now there are less characters to do jab follow ups and the fsmash has been nerfed so much that I only see it as a get out of my face option.

Last edited:

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
Wait for the console. His recovery will get better. I challenge people to use a wii mote nunchuck to rise with cyclone without jump in brawl. A lot harder to do than with a gcc. 3ds cripples luigi's recovery. Also lol this is a inside joke with my crew, but the missile has always had low priority in brawl so the low priority in smash 4 is nothing new.

I hate that now there are less characters to do jab follow ups and the fsmash has been nerfed so much that I only see it as a get out of my face option.

True. But there's also the chance it'll revert back to it's Melee ways. Hell, 64 wasn't that great. Regardless, recovering will be different from Brawl. It doesn't seem as horrendous as people made it out to be, but again, in 2 hours of play, my opinion is little hahaha. Not to mention I haven't played anyone who can decently edgeguard.

I'm LOVING the new default cyclone though. Still a good mix-up like it was in Brawl but with some flair at the end of it. Of course it removes the classic cyclone off-stage gimping option we used to have, but ehhh, this looks nice.

I'm still pounding through the game, trying to feel it out. I don't think he'll be much better comparatively in Smash 4, but I'm having too much fun to care.

Now to try tauntspiking people > : D

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Let's see what we got here with Luigi...

Like everyone else said, his recovery is definitely worse. But, he can rise to relatively the same height if you get some momentum while jumping [So move forward quickly while trying to get back on stage, don't delay]. His Up B seems to retain the same height from Brawl for recovering, and has an even shorter helpless state than Melee's up B. So that's nice. Although, his recovery turns into one of the best in game with his ridiculously high Down B 2 and straight missile.

Combos pretty good. Down throw is a guaranteed up Smash, nair, uair, whatever. [Slightly worse than Mario's down throw though sorry. Slightly]

His aerials are just as good as Brawl, if not better. I think Luigi's biggest buff is the dair. That beautiful, beautiful, dair. Why? The dair spike. I land that thing so, so much more than Brawl now, I think I can hit if off stage more often than not. Big tool for Luigi's offtstage game, abuse it.

His fireballs were definitely buffed in terms of speed. Definitely. They are somewhat reliable now. They may have gotten a range increase but I'm probably wrong. They are faster though.

I also don't know why people are saying Luigi's F Smash is nerfed in power...it really isn't. Or I don't see it anyways. I can still kill someone like villager around 70-75% in the middle of FD. No problems here. Pretty much as fast too. Actually, that and Up B kill at relatively the same percentages, so I'd stick with F smash over Up B, contrasting what Luigisama said, sorry :p

He dashes faster too. I honestly can't tell if he's faster in the air or not, I'm blind I suppose lol.

Overall, he's more or less Brawl Luigi with a weaker recovery [without customs] and buffed ever so slightly in most other areas. Middle of the mid tier is my opinion, although he'll probably get shoved at the bottom again just because.

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Let's talk customs, which I believe is a huge thing for Luigi.

Bouncing Fireballs:

Really good spacing tools, however I noticed that Luigi can't move as fast after fire one. So he is more open for attacks. I think it comes down to preference really.

Iceball:

A bit slow for my taste, but it isn't bad. The freeze effect really messes with the opponent's rhythm and can catch them off guard for a follow up.

Floaty Missile:

I don't know what to think really.

Quick Missile:

Good recovery, but if you aren't careful you'll kill yourself.

Fiery Jump Punch:

Horrible, absolutely horrible. I couldn't kill Mario with an Up-B sweet spot at 120%. It is so much weaker than the normal Jump Punch I see it being worthless, plus the shorter height.

Burial Header:

Amazing example of a Custom Move. It completely changes the way you use Luigi's Up B. Instead of a Rest, it is more like King Dedede's Up B.

Also, I noticed that you get up way faster after using Burial Header than the Jump Punches. So it is a way safer option. However, you do lack that pure kill move though. This is definitely the better move for those so never sweet spot.

Mach Cyclone:

Strong, but not game breaking. When you use this, 9 out of 10 times you will recover. It is really good for recovery and the windbox helps you escape if you need it.

Clothesline Cyclone:

Not bad, it is a good "get away from me" tool that deals decent horizontal knockback.

Last edited:

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
It's ironic because I thought the easy uppercut would be the BEST custom move originally from videos. A super easy up b sounded too good to be true.

thewarjoe

Smash Rookie
I'm a Luigi fan, since the first SSB came!

I'll give my opinion.

- Up B, true it isnt as strong as it was in Brawl, where you could kill ppl at 25%. But you can kill with it at >70%, plus I dont know how you all feel about it, but its easier for me to hit with it in this game.

-MISSile is a mess, its weaker and you should only use it, when you're too far from the stage and you're desperate, other than that try not to use it.

This makes Luigi's recovery game weaker, playing out of the stage is more limited now, if you're going to do it stay vertical... USE that beautiful Dair Spike and comeback to the stage as fast as you can.... I agree with Yonder... ITS BEAUTIFUL, I confess I could never EVER hit with it while playing Brawl, but its so USEFULL now.

Luigi slips a lot more now, I had to get use to it but is not a big problem.

I think his aerial game is WAY better, he is definitely an air machine. and all of his other attacks I feel they got more priority than in Brawl....

Conclusion, He's better to me now, but they did limited his recovery game.

Ozyroth

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ozyroth
After testing Luigi a lot: (all standard moves)

► The Cyclone (Down-B) lifts you a decent high when mashed B. Not as insanely good as brawl, but not as horrible like Melee. It felt a slightly better than 64. A decent recovery option; not good but definitely not bad. It lost it's ability to gimp people but gained a very good auto-combo with great knockback at the end. I was able to kill vertically when chasing opponents on the air. It's still great ground tool for cross-ups.
► The Fireball is a pretty good option for controlling space in general. Also I noticed it does 6% from all distances which is pretty good for a projectile. The Space Controll with it can be amazing for setups: people will prefer get a couple of fireballs than a fair, upair or nair, which is pretty good considering the damage from the fireball in the long run,
► The Shoryuken (Up-B) is pretty nerfed. The vertical distance is the half as it used to be (or at least is the first impression I got from it), and the power a little bit (or maybe are the HUGE blastzones in this game). Overall looks decent as an attack, I was able to combo it from a two jab combo at 100%~. As a recovery I would use it as my last resort (as in Brawl) but remember, it doesn't go as far as it used to be.
► The Green missile is amazing! First of all, in Brawl had the same priority to projectiles (gets stopped by like everything) so I don't consider a nerf when it's the same. On the other hand, I got a lot of clashing (both attacks get nullified) with a lot of smash attacks. Sounds pretty good to me. Also, maybe is the general speed in this game but I feel like it comes faster and have a great distance (very useful recovery). Talking about coming faster, I was able to combo the green missile a lot as a combo finisher, it doesn't kill nor get a lot od damage, nut it's a good way to end combos when your opponent are getting to far from you... and if you are lucky it can misfire and get you an awesome and early kill.
► His Down-throw is key for victory. Can start combos, can lead to resets (wait then re-grab, jabs, to grab, etc.).
►The dash attack doesn't suck! Well if you get the hit. My friends weren't able to get out of it, tested it online and the same. Great for punishing moves, or landings and have a great damage output. The last hit sends the opponent a good distance to start the space controll with the fireball.
► U-tilt, upair, nair, fair, jabs have great combo potencial.
► Again, maybe are the blast zones, but I think his killing power got nerfed. His Up-smash wasn't killing people at percentajes I would expect, the F-smash the same.

▬ Overall y first impressions of Luigi are pretty good and solid. Fells buffed in a lot of areas and, at the same time, nerfed in others; this is a new Luigi and we should adapt. One mayor p

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
T Ozyreth, all I got to say is that you're the first Luigi to say the missile wasn't nerfed in this game. Glad you're getting some use out of it. Like you, I do want to implement it as a combo finisher somehow. I think it's possible, just tricky.

And on For Glory recently, been finishing a lot of matches with Dair spikes!

Last edited:

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
I think Luigi-Sama is probably right. I think cyclone can still be a good recovery mood. It just requires ConCon-like mashing consistently.

B-air is a WICKED edgeguarding tool and generally good kill move. I've been sending people flying with this and it sets up for good finishers.

I played the ditto online and it seemed weird, but less janky than Brawl Luigi dittos. If anyone wants to wifi, I'm around all night!

rm88

Smash Ace
NNID
Rm88Go
3DS FC
5241-1973-5614
Luigi is probably my favorite character so far, but I'm so, so pissed off at the f-smash nerf :( And the up-B distance nerf too. Why on earth would they nerf Luigi? Do you guys think overall he's worse than in Brawl?

Donyoku

Greed
Luigi is probably my favorite character so far, but I'm so, so pissed off at the f-smash nerf :( And the up-B distance nerf too. Why on earth would they nerf Luigi? Do you guys think overall he's worse than in Brawl?
Not even, the nerfs hurt but he is in no way worse than brawl. If anything he is better imo without a doubt. Love the way he is feeling with his combos and aerials.

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
He's likely going to have the same problems in Smash 4 that he did in Brawl:

Characters outranging him and characters who can camp effectively (i.e with air speed or strong projectile game)

So Luigi's success will probably be dependent on how many characters have these attributes as a core part of their metagame.

It's a game of chance...just like the misfire ;)

Though if his approaching options are better, things could be different!

Bane84

Smash Journeyman
Luigi was the only character I mained in Brawl, and I've noticed some definite nerfs:
  • It is no longer possible to double short hop Bair.
  • The Luigi Cyclone has more ending lag and is more difficult to get more vertical momentum and use it as a third jump.
  • The back throw appears to be nerfed. I noticed this when I brought Mario to 100% and attempted to back throw him off of the edge of Battlefield Omega Stage.
I was finding myself repeatedly unable to reliably kill until I got most characters past 120%.

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Luigi was the only character I mained in Brawl, and I've noticed some definite nerfs:
  • It is no longer possible to double short hop Bair.
  • The Luigi Cyclone has more ending lag and is more difficult to get more vertical momentum and use it as a third jump.
  • The back throw appears to be nerfed. I noticed this when I brought Mario to 100% and attempted to back throw him off of the edge of Battlefield Omega Stage.
I was finding myself repeatedly unable to reliably kill until I got most characters past 120%.
It isn't Luigi, just the blastzones are farther. 120% is the average kill I believe.

ThunderSt0rm

Smash Champion
Mach Cyclone:

Strong, but not game breaking. When you use this, 9 out of 10 times you will recover. It is really good for recovery and the windbox helps you escape if you need it.
This move deserves more credit than you give it. I find it to be an amazing kill move off stage, as well as chasing someone in the air. The strong hitbox for it stays out for quite a while and if you rise with it, gives the hitbox absurd vertical range. Combined with Quick Missle to recover, I have no fear chasing someone that's offstage with a rising Mach Cyclone for an early kill.

Also not to add insult to injury when talking about missle in general, but the odds of getting a misfire are now 1 in 10 according to an in-game tip.

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
The cyclone at least is still one of Luigi's best tools, recovery loss and all. From experience in my For Glory matches online [I haven't lost yet...until I vsed my friend playing Sheik today, who's scary in the air], people don't seem to be able to counter cyclone well at all. Recovering back onto stage? Fast fall into cyclone. Getting juggled? Fast fall cyclone. Approaching? Cyclone. Opponent near the top of the screen? Nair...or cyclone.

Cyclone. Don't let it down and it won't let you down either.

Last edited:

ThunderSt0rm

Smash Champion
The hitboxes and grounded horizontal movement during the bulk of the move are the only things that default cyclone has over Mach Cyclone imo.

Last edited:

J.Miller

Smash Apprentice
NNID
J.Miller91
Question for all of you.
How do you guys feel about Luigi so far?
I'm liking that he has/ jab, grab, *great options in all directions* utilt, a faster fireball and now a dash attack.

Although most other things they got nerfed notably, I'm saying this after putting in a good amount of time so if I'm wrong and you can prove it please correct me but f-smash, u-smash, nair and even up B all seem to be weaker.
On light characters although you can tell the difference it's not as bad but on middleweights and onward having a better string game in exchange for knockback reduction on everything seems to be something in the long run that is gonna hurt him.

Recovery wise, it seems like green missile got a bit of a buff in terms of range and on hit seems to send people back a little bit. Cyclone got a new diagonal angle to travel in and can even kill off the top notably better but the nerf in vertical rising *although at least we can still rise makes it more challenging to get back safely.

Weaknesses we pretty much are unchanged from brawl. Overall it seems like there were some changes to make him somewhat more solid mid-screen, provide better pressure to accumulate damage due to game mechanics...though we lost what was he was amazing with which is threateningly early kill potential.

What are your experiences so far?

Luigisama

Smash Champion
Question for all of you.
I'm liking that he has/ jab, grab, *great options in all directions* utilt, a faster fireball and now a dash attack.

Although most other things they got nerfed notably, I'm saying this after putting in a good amount of time so if I'm wrong and you can prove it please correct me but f-smash, u-smash, nair and even up B all seem to be weaker.
On light characters although you can tell the difference it's not as bad but on middleweights and onward having a better string game in exchange for knockback reduction on everything seems to be something in the long run that is gonna hurt him.

Recovery wise, it seems like green missile got a bit of a buff in terms of range and on hit seems to send people back a little bit. Cyclone got a new diagonal angle to travel in and can even kill off the top notably better but the nerf in vertical rising *although at least we can still rise makes it more challenging to get back safely.

Weaknesses we pretty much are unchanged from brawl. Overall it seems like there were some changes to make him somewhat more solid mid-screen, provide better pressure to accumulate damage due to game mechanics...though we lost what was he was amazing with which is threateningly early kill potential.

I share same feelings. You hit the nail on the head.

Last edited:

L9L

Smash Cadet
NNID
sirshyguy
3DS FC
4596-9684-9176
Question for all of you.

This all seems accurate to me. My question to the community is how does Luigi best score his kills? I often find myself easily getting 100+ percent on my opponents with his new combos, but then struggling to finish them off. Up-smash and side-smash still work fine enough, but I feel his true kill potential is going to come from what seems to be a stronger off-stage gimp game and hard punishes from fire jump punch (nerfed, but still effective).

Thoughts?

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Yeah, nair, smashes, up b, and bair are his best killing options. Dair for spikes, fair for damage racking, nair for...everything lol.

Still trying to find some ways to finish combos with missile. Gotta say, misfires have save my life so many times recently. At least that's still good about the missile....

Luigisama

Smash Champion
Is luigi is better now or in brawl? I'll wait for the wii u version to make my decision. Once I'm playing luigi with a gcc I'll be happy.

Last edited:

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
Is luigi is better now or in brawl? I'll wait for the wii u version to make my decision. Once I'm playing luigi with a gcc I'll be happy.
I think I prefer him in Brawl over this game. There's some buffs that are pretty nice (I love the new b-air potential) but the lack of early FP kill power, its set-up options, and f-smash nerf all make the clutch factor of Luigi almost obsolete.

He's probably the same in terms of rankings, or maybe a little better than Brawl overall. Depends how many characters can exploit his weaknesses, and how effectively they can do it.

Definitely wise to wait for the Wii U version though. This is just the training wheels stage for Smash 4's competitive career.

EDIT: Landed my first tauntspike in smash 4, om nom nom it never gets old. Also I think it has more range this time, if only slight > : )

Last edited:

J.Miller

Smash Apprentice
NNID
J.Miller91
This all seems accurate to me. My question to the community is how does Luigi best score his kills? I often find myself easily getting 100+ percent on my opponents with his new combos, but then struggling to finish them off. Up-smash and side-smash still work fine enough, but I feel his true kill potential is going to come from what seems to be a stronger off-stage gimp game and hard punishes from fire jump punch (nerfed, but still effective).

Thoughts?
I am honestly thinking we need to damage rack as normal, though once we reach certain percentages we need to go for set plays from mid screen. Fireballs although they still are beaten by everything, they provide enough hitstun to be able to confirm smashes. That's just one thing, it seems like this time round they want us to bait and punish but in a slower manner, but it's more of a "guaranteed" situation where damage racking is never really going to be issue. Getting the final kill with no range and threatening approach requires a lot of thinking and attempting to make the opposition do something out of fear or us making them react to something that is not coming.

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
My mind keeps going back and forth thinking if he's better in Brawl or this game. Only reason he wasn't high in Brawl was simply Meta Knight. Marth and Game and Watch were also nasty to Luigi too in Brawl. In this game though, I don't find any match ups so polarizing against Luigi. Sheik is pretty nasty to Luigi once she gets him in the air though. Pretty easy to handle on the ground though aside from needles. Just a note.

I also find Luigi's jabs very useful in this game. Great damage racking. Combine that after a falling nair to dair, they either usually let their shield down by then or it is severely shrunken after the onslaught.

J.Miller

Smash Apprentice
NNID
J.Miller91
My mind keeps going back and forth thinking if he's better in Brawl or this game. Only reason he wasn't high in Brawl was simply Meta Knight. Marth and Game and Watch were also nasty to Luigi too in Brawl. In this game though, I don't find any match ups so polarizing against Luigi. Sheik is pretty nasty to Luigi once she gets him in the air though. Pretty easy to handle on the ground though aside from needles. Just a note.

I also find Luigi's jabs very useful in this game. Great damage racking. Combine that after a falling nair to dair, they either usually let their shield down by then or it is severely shrunken after the onslaught.
I'm not trying to make you feel bad or anything but MK honestly was not our only issue when it came to brawl.
Snake(Immense ground game, stupid heavy, grenades), DDD(Better neutral game, Bair, Grab and Infinite), Ice Climbers(No need to explain do I?) some of the other mid tiers like DK and R.O.B were also not MU's that were simply overcome.

I'm being lenient but Luigi was where he was for good reason other than being able to punish if there opportunity was made or had arisen there was nothing else he excelled in and lack of traction, poor airspeed and having to perfect shield everything in to stay in was mostly a weakness when you had an opponent who knew how to correctly use that to their advantage.

Falling nair seems too much of a gamble, but Oos Nair dair sounds nice if it combos like you are suggesting it's a pretty nice way to rack up damage thank you for that.

Has anyone played much on Battlefield? I've mainly been playing for glory and thing is although it's clear we lost knockback/kill power is might actually not be as severe when rulesets are actually in place because at the moment we are just playing in places that can have pretty ridiculous blastzones.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Fast-fall Cyclone may be the best bet if you find yourself being pressured from below in the air.

His Burying Header (Up B custom 3) may be a good descending option, since it falls VERY fast
for Luigi, can sweetspot edges and recovers faster on landing than default.

thewarjoe

Smash Rookie
I still have hard times with the recovery, I loved to play outside the plataform.... You can't do that too much now... But I'm getting better!

Last edited:
Top Bottom