• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Koopa Prince: Bowser Jr - Come introduce yourself!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Bowser jr has used a machine over the paint brush far more often than not against Mario during the course of the series. He doesn't really use the paint Brush all that much anymore except occasionally in a few spin off games. Even in Sunshine he used a machine twice to battle Mario. The clown car in particularly has been a common mode of battle he's used.

So I suppose in the grand scheme of things, I guess it kinda shouldn't have been that surprising that he uses the Clown Car as his main method of battle in Smash....

Eitherway, I'm cool with both the Koopalings and Jr so I've got no problems with them sharing the same spot together and as other's have said. Jr will most likely get the most spotlight (or at least be the centre and main leader of the group) during most of the promotional material Nintendo may release.

Just my two cents I guess. Will be looking forward to Bowser Jr. :)

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
The cannonball move looks to be his side smash to me. You can see in the leaked footage that Bowser Jr. flashes yellow for a hot second, indicating a smash attack. Apparently he has a projectile smash attack like Mega Man does. Which still leaves some special moves open for business.

My thoughts on his moveset from what we've solely seen in the videos are:

Up+B = Ejection
Neutral B = Clown Tongue (just think of Kirby doing that one with his creepy Koopa "hat")
Down+B = MechaKoopa
Side Smash = Cannonball
Up Tilt = Paintbrush
Jab = Punching Boxing Gloves
Neutral Air = Spinning Boxing Gloves
Down Air = Cannonball Drop

I think that is about all we saw in the leaked footage. Would love to know what the missing moves and Final Smash are!!! :colorful:

EDIT: I also think that my speculation on Bowser Jr.'s Down+B and Neutral B could be switched. Perhaps for Neutral B he lays out the MechaKoopa and it traverses the level injuring/attacking players, sort of like King DeDeDe's Waddle Toss move from Brawl.

Which means I can also see the Down+B being the tongue move as a more defensive maneuver to keep enemies at bay seeing as how most reflect/counter/defense moves sit in the Down+B position for specials.
I got the impression that the tongue was a downtilt. Jr. looks like he crouched before using it.

TeamLaFlare

Smash Cadet
I got the impression that the tongue was a downtilt. Jr. looks like he crouched before using it.
I will agree that it looks to be a downward attack seeing as how Bowser Jr. literally crouches down inside the Clown Car when using it...but I assumed Down+B only because the amount of time that it is in use...I feel like a Down Tilt is a quick action, like his Up Tilt, the paintbrush/wand strike. This tongue manuveur looks like it lasts a lot longer in my estimation as if it was a Down+B but purely because of length of time compared to his other tilt move. But I am definitely starting to see what you mean!

Just my speculation, I couldn't be too sure what it all meant! :)

EDIT: I just keep watching the leaked video over and over speculating about everything lol. He almost gets a move off on Bowser while he is jumping above Bowser, or so it seems, before he gets hit away. Does it look like the Boxing Gloves are coming out for a downward strike? Possible meteor smash?

Last edited:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
It's funny how as soon as I stop visiting this thread, a whole bunch of users start complaining about Bowser Jr and the koopaling alts. :p

Anyway, my two cents...it is a small problem yes. If more then one person wants to play as Bowser Jr, (which could be likely, at least in my group of friends), then they will just have to play as a koopaling...Which yeah that is a tiny bit unfair, but it doesn't bother me too much because I do have backup koopalings...Still, I would like to play as Bowser Jr when I want to and I do understand where people are coming from.

With that said, like @ JamesDNaux JamesDNaux said, we should be grateful Bowser Jr. is in Smash at all. We all thought Rosalina was going to to be our only new Mario rep, but we actually ended up getting him as well. Along with a unique move set.

Thereallucario

Smash Journeyman
You know I just realized that having Bj and duck hunt dog in the same trailer could possibly go for a interesting/hilarious video. Duck's teasing and annoying attitude could play off of bowser jr.'s easy enragement very well, making for an interesting reveal. Also, it reveals two (full) newcomers at once, which would be reason enough fro me to be satisfied for it being last (though I'd personally prefer a trailer that has an odd play by play setup where it gets slowly more cayotic and more battle like as one by one characters are revealed left an right ending in an awesome reveal of a character that everyone wants and a huge charge forward and then freeze, epic pose, smash logo).

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
If more then one person wants to play as Bowser Jr, (which could be likely, at least in my group of friends), then they will just have to play as a koopaling...
This is what confuses me about people complaining.

You don't have to play as a Koopaling, it was perfectly possible for two or more people to use the same palette in previous games, so there's no reason you can't this game. You can have a four way battle with nothing but Jr. if you wanted.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
This is what confuses me about people complaining.

You don't have to play as a Koopaling, it was perfectly possible for two or more people to use the same palette in previous games, so there's no reason you can't this game. You can have a four way battle with nothing but Jr. if you wanted.
Well, how it works is you can only do that online or by team battle.

So, yeah it wouldn't affect me because I would be playing with my internet friends more, but I do see some of the concern.

With that, it isn't as big of a problem as people are making it out to be. With all that said, it would be nice for Sakurai to appeal to everyone with Bowser Jr having 4-8 color pallets in addition to all the koopaling alts. If he doesn't, so be it. I'll live with just having Bowser Jr anyway. :3

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
According to Zipzo, Olimar does have Alph as an alt costume, so for better or for worse, the Koopaling alts are very likely to be legit at this point.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
According to Zipzo, Olimar does have Alph as an alt costume, so for better or for worse, the Koopaling alts are very likely to be legit at this point.
Speaking of which, with the confirmation of Little Mac getting 16 alts, I think we can finally put our worries of multiple people not being able to play as Bowser Jr at the same time behind us. Bowser Jr will surely get recolors now. Maybe the koopalings will get some recolors as well. Happy end. <3

Or Sakurai could still have only Bowser Jr and the Koopalings only, but I rather not think of that possibility at the moment.
:happysheep:

Luminario

Smash Lord
Speaking of which, with the confirmation of Little Mac getting 16 alts, I think we can finally put our worries of multiple people not being able to play as Bowser Jr at the same time behind us. Bowser Jr will surely get recolors now. Maybe the koopalings will get some recolors as well. Happy end. <3

Or Sakurai could still have only Bowser Jr and the Koopalings only, but I rather not think of that possibility at the moment.
:happysheep:
I was literally typing that as you posted. I'm not sure if the Koopalings will get recolours as well since there's 7 of them but you never know~.

Kickback

Smash Cadet
I was literally typing that as you posted. I'm not sure if the Koopalings will get recolours as well since there's 7 of them but you never know~.
Um the Koopalings are individuals and its just as likely that more then one player would want to play as Ludvig, Roy ,Wendy and so on as it is that more then one player wants to play as B.jr

Mr.Seven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
The_FPG
If what the info from the Demo that happened today is any indication, if you picked the Alph costume for Olimar, the announcer and name will change to state "Alph." Going by that logic, it would be safe to assume that should you pick a Koopaling Alt. The character's name and announcer sound will change to match the Koopaling that was picked. So it wouldn't surprise me if we hear the announcer state "Iggy", "Roy", "Ludwig", etc. if we pick said Koopaling costume.

If I had to make a guess, I predict that Jr. will have 4 total palettes (including default) while the other seven won't, as Jr. is the focus character.

Last edited:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
So...I went back and looked at the leak that said Bowser Jr would be in the koopa clown car with the koopalings alt...

And he does in fact say that he has no alt colors and only has the koopalings as the changeable colors...

Well then...That info did come around in june so...Maybe Sakurai decided to add more alt colors since then?

TeamLaFlare

Smash Cadet
So...I went back and looked at the leak that said Bowser Jr would be in the koopa clown car with the koopalings alt...

And he does in fact say that he has no alt colors and only has the koopalings as the changeable colors...

Well then...That info did come around in june so...Maybe Sakurai decided to add more alt colors since then?
I would have to hope so...I can't imagine that Little Mac gets SIXTEEN variations on his appearance and then Bowser Jr. gets shafted with just the Koopalings.

I am a huge fan of the Koopalings as alts., but with this new information of the 16 costumes/skins for Little Mac it would be a shame if Jr. didn't receive some sort of color palette swap besides the Koopa kids.

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
While Jr. is one of my favorite Mario Characters, I never seriously considered him for smash, but after seeing the Leak, I'm genuinely excited for him....

However, if Larry is one of his alts, I am legally obligated to only main Larry, as per code of conduct of Mario Kart 8.

BunnyBoy1337

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3265-5888-7478
Since the leak is real and all, (because Shulk) I'm definitely going to main Junior. Especially if he has Koopaling alts. And he probably will, since Sakurai has confirmed each and every character has 8 total costumes/colors, and the amount of Koopalings + Bowser Jr. fits that number perfectly. All and all, I'm looking forward to unlocking him and playing as Larry and Iggy.

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
As far as Nintendo/Mario characters that I despise, Bowser Jr. is second only to Waluigi.
In Brawl, Sonic vs. Mario was the match I played most, for the sheer epic magnitude. In Smash 3D/U, I'm thinking my most played match may be Mii vs. Bowser Jr.

...That being said, I saw the Clown Car video...and there's nothing about it that I didn't like. As a character, I can't stand him...but as a unique fighter, I'm not opposed to this inclusion.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
If what the info from the Demo that happened today is any indication, if you picked the Alph costume for Olimar, the announcer and name will change to state "Alph." Going by that logic, it would be safe to assume that should you pick a Koopaling Alt. The character's name and announcer sound will change to match the Koopaling that was picked. So it wouldn't surprise me if we hear the announcer state "Iggy", "Roy", "Ludwig", etc. if we pick said Koopaling costume.

If I had to make a guess, I predict that Jr. will have 4 total palettes (including default) while the other seven won't, as Jr. is the focus character.
I was just coming to this thread to post this.

That's really good because I was going to be sad if all the Koopalings were just called Bowser Jr.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Didn't everyone assume that Roy Koopa was in Melee when it leaked (since FE's Roy technically didn't exist yet)

Now it's happening lol

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Can I just say, on the subject of Bowser Jr with Koopalings as alts, that I don't really understand the ire? I appreciate that it may force others to play as the Koopalings against their initial choices, but isn't it nice that Bowser Jr is in the game at all? It would be comparable, for me, to having Wonder Red as a playable character and then getting upset because he has other Wonderful Ones and villains as alternate costumes and I may have to play, say, Wonder Blue if somebody picks Red first instead.

To wit, I don't think it's intended to be cruel or malicious on Sakurai's part. I think it's a nice gesture and something that, while not universally appreciated by all fans, will nevetheless please a lot of potential Bowser Jr players.

Myself included.

Ludwig and Larry for life, yo.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I'm excited that the Koopalings will presumably be treated as their own characters with the Alph information and all, but I think I'll probably just play Bowser Jr. (And Lemmy)

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
"This game's winner is... LUDWIG!"
Oh yeah.

BelowZer0

Smash Apprentice
Are there anymore of those leaked pics like the Alph and deity link one? And does anyone have the leaked gameplay video as I was unable to see it before it was taken down

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Are there anymore of those leaked pics like the Alph and deity link one? And does anyone have the leaked gameplay video as I was unable to see it before it was taken down
Check out the smash 4 gameplay videos thread under Wii U general discussion.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Hey everyone. Back when Rosalina got in I thought that was the end of my favorite Mario character; didn't see much point in still hoping for him, and when you all continued to do so I thought it best to focus on other series. But with this leak being practically true my favorite Mario villain is bound to be in, and I have to hand it to everyone who chose to "keep hope alive". He's in with an original moveset AND he's got his siblings (no matter what they're his siblings to me); I have no complaints and I look forward to playing as him, Ludwig and Iggy.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
From what I've read, you can save multiple profiles for custom movesets with eguipments included. I guess we can make our own clones from the Koopalings if we wish.

Also, I'm still open for doing the Koopaling-icons inspired by the ones for Smash 4-characters. I've done Ludwig and Lemmy (in my sig) so far:

Last edited:

TeamLaFlare

Smash Cadet
From what I've read, you can save multiple profiles for custom movesets with eguipments included. I guess we can make our own clones from the Koopalings if we wish.

Also, I'm still open for doing the Koopaling-icons inspired by the ones for Smash 4-characters. I've done Ludwig and Lemmy (in my sig) so far:

Roy next pleeeeease! :)

Mr.Seven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
The_FPG

Iggy! You gotta do one of Iggy!

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Morton next!!! Thanks yo!!
Morton is gonna be last unfortunately because currently I have very difficult time trying to remove the black borders around him without losing his hair strands. Sorry but I hope you'll stay patient.

Iggy! You gotta do one of Iggy!
Not as difficult as Morton but the glasses keep disappearing. Gimme a sec though...

EDIT: I have Iggy ready! Someone help me avoid double posting...

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Morton is gonna be last unfortunately because currently I have very difficult time trying to remove the black borders around him without losing his hair strands. Sorry but I hope you'll stay patient.

Not as difficult as Morton but the glasses keep disappearing. Gimme a sec though...

EDIT: I have Iggy ready! Someone help me avoid double posting...
Helping!!!1

Top Bottom