• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Kirby Video Archive/Kirby Critique thread!

J.Miller

Smash Apprentice
NNID
J.Miller91
Yeah it happens to the best of us. Are the matches going to be uploaded to youtube? I'll like to see them =).
I imagine there SHOULD be matches to watch long as wii's are brought with the correct things on them to save matches. The venue the tourny will be held in is attracting some of eu's best so I'm hoping that will mean I get matches to save and I'll try playing on my own set up as much as possible.

Though I can't gurantee I'll use kirby, kirby is mainly for fox and maybe wolf. Falco I go luigi for. Yeah I know that might not make sense at first but I find it so much easier killing with him than Kirby and the falco I play knows how to avoid getting gimped so the match up is pretty slow paced and falco ends up living for a long time and so do I lol

I'll definitely notify if there are matches to be watched just hope it all runs smoothly.

Darkshadow96

Smash Journeyman
I imagine there SHOULD be matches to watch long as wii's are brought with the correct things on them to save matches. The venue the tourny will be held in is attracting some of eu's best so I'm hoping that will mean I get matches to save and I'll try playing on my own set up as much as possible.

Though I can't gurantee I'll use kirby, kirby is mainly for fox and maybe wolf. Falco I go luigi for. Yeah I know that might not make sense at first but I find it so much easier killing with him than Kirby and the falco I play knows how to avoid getting gimped so the match up is pretty slow paced and falco ends up living for a long time and so do I lol

I'll definitely notify if there are matches to be watched just hope it all runs smoothly.
Nice nice. Is Mr.R from your area and Luigi vs Falco... That's the first time I heard a Luigi liking the MU hahaha.

So did the matches get saved/uploaded?

J.Miller

Smash Apprentice
NNID
J.Miller91
Nice nice. Is Mr.R from your area and Luigi vs Falco... That's the first time I heard a Luigi liking the MU hahaha.

So did the matches get saved/uploaded?
Nah he is in another country to me but both in EU.
haha I get to practice the match up alot with Kasper so although it's hard I actually don't mind it, when I lose it just means I was not good enough in one area or another. It's not MK bad and I can kill falco pretty early IF I get in, getting in/staying in is the hard part of the match.

There are some matches that were saved though not all are tourny, but we played competitively. As it's not often they can travel here and we can travel there.

only issue is uploading... I don't have a capture device :/

Darkshadow96

Smash Journeyman
Nah he is in another country to me but both in EU.
haha I get to practice the match up alot with Kasper so although it's hard I actually don't mind it, when I lose it just means I was not good enough in one area or another. It's not MK bad and I can kill falco pretty early IF I get in, getting in/staying in is the hard part of the match.

There are some matches that were saved though not all are tourny, but we played competitively. As it's not often they can travel here and we can travel there.

only issue is uploading... I don't have a capture device :/
I can probably be of assistance =). Do you have some type of messenger?

MSN, Skype?

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
I wanted to share this little technique, I've seen Chu Dat do at Apex. I never seen other Kirbies do it and nobody's ever mentioned it, well not to my knowledge, but now that I found a video of it I wanted to hear your guys thoughts!

When attempting a Kirbycide, or anything thereof, you have the option of starshot or footstool (character dependent) BUT (given you have your back to the stage) after an inhale break if you DI towards the blast zone while your opponent obviously tries to DI toward the stage you can nail a b-air and potentially stage spike! Awkward explanation, but watch!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySXnS5N9d8s

@ 1:08

Shadocat

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3737-9651-3260
I see how that can work. Good find!!

Edit: DarkShadow has the creepiest ******* avi i have ever seen on smashboards, and ive seen mew2kings!!!

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Oh yeah, MK, I think I've done that once or twice. Footstool is still the best option, but if you're moving while kirbiciding, chances are you won't get the footstool because you'll keep moving while the opponent breaks out of your inhale and stays in the same spot in the air. So, in a sense, that bair is for when you know you ****ed up the kirbicide>footstool.

Kmatt

Smash Journeyman
Doing flying chaingrabs across southeast PA
Hey, I just watched that 1st game (Vs. DDD on Smashville) and couldn't help but notice: You used Inhale a lot more than I would expect for the spit. The thing I noticed was that it worked almost every time. Is there some sort of trick in the spacing of DDD's ground moves that allow you to inhale that often, or is it just something that happened in that specific game?

Triple R

Smash Lord
Hey, I just watched that 1st game (Vs. DDD on Smashville) and couldn't help but notice: You used Inhale a lot more than I would expect for the spit. The thing I noticed was that it worked almost every time. Is there some sort of trick in the spacing of DDD's ground moves that allow you to inhale that often, or is it just something that happened in that specific game?
Well I don't really know if there's really a "trick" to it. I just did it when I thought I could get away with it. It's sometimes hard to explain inhale uses. I'll just go through the first game and say what I was thinking every time I inhaled. Maybe that will help out.

0:25 - I thought he was going to be aggressive returning from the ledge since I was landing. I though an inhale would beat whatever he did. I got slightly lucky since he decided to not jump above me. Spacing was good though. I don't think a ledge roll would have made it past me.

0:30 - This was a bad inhale. I was just counting on my opponent on messing up, which he did. He could have just floated away but unwisely decided to come down with a bair with poor spacing. It worked though.

1:01 - He just back threw me. Since he just hit me, I assumed he would try to run after me to keep the pressure on. He did, and he ended up getting swallowed because of it.

1:17 - I just UpBed him back onto the stage. It was my turn to put on the pressure. He was scared and just shielded. I was on to this and beat his shied with inhale.

1:44 - I think he was expecting me to hop back up from the ledge with a bair right away or fall down with a fair on his shield so he could shield grab me. Airdodging right back into him would have been stupid. I took the chance with inhale to beat his shield.

3:22 - Similar thing. I think he was waiting for me to airdodge or attack right into his shield. Inhale beats this.

I hope that helps clear up what I'm thinking when I try to use inhale. I mainly have 3 uses that I can think of:

1) Opponent is hoping to shield grab your attack/airdodge as you land. Inhale beats this.

2) Opponent hits you away and wants to continue pressure. Many times people are so anxious to keep on the pressure they run right into the inhale. Even if they don't get sucked in and hit you instead, it can still slow them down.

3) It wasn't in the first vid, but sometimes opponents are shielding on a platform above you. Sometimes it is unsafe to uair them from below because they have a broken usmash OoS (Olimar). Inhale can work as a nice air grab here, but it is slow. If you miss, you know what happens.

D

Deleted member 189823

Hello, Kirby boards. I am not really a Kirby user myself (I rarely use him) but, I do have a friend who has him as a main, and I'm here on his behalf, since he doesn't know English.

I pity my friend's Kirby, but I know he could improve. I just need to know on what he could improve on. I notice he uses the F-Smash often when he doesn't need to (like most n00b Kirby players). He's not awful though, he's certainly decent among sub-par players.

Here's a video I recorded so you can see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa7NILTmYrI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBWb6xeYQz0&feature=related

Watch either or both of those. I recommend watching both so you can get a general analysis of his flaws so I can tell him what to work on.

Kmatt

Smash Journeyman
Doing flying chaingrabs across southeast PA
Hello, Kirby boards. I am not really a Kirby user myself (I rarely use him) but, I do have a friend who has him as a main, and I'm here on his behalf, since he doesn't know English.

I pity my friend's Kirby, but I know he could improve. I just need to know on what he could improve on. I notice he uses the F-Smash often when he doesn't need to (like most n00b Kirby players). He's not awful though, he's certainly decent among sub-par players.

Here's a video I recorded so you can see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa7NILTmYrI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBWb6xeYQz0&feature=related

Watch either or both of those. I recommend watching both so you can get a general analysis of his flaws so I can tell him what to work on.
Just started watching the first, I'll see what I can see.

Game 1: The thing that stuck out most to me here is how liberally he was just throwing moves around. Not just Fsmash, but hammers, jabs, final cutter, and aerials. So many of his moves just don't connect and don't seem to have a reason why they were used.

The second thing was his use of Kirby's throws, or more specifically, his lack thereof. Especially on large, heavy opponents like Bowser, Kirby should be using low% fthrow combos whenever possible, and using Dthrow quite often. Just the % damage from the use of Dthrow alone justifies it's use, seeing as how Bowser is so easy to grab. The followups work well too, since he's so big and easy to juggle.

Final note on Game 1 was his kills. He appeared to just sling around Fsmash hoping for a big KO. I can tell you from experience, that only works on Wifi. He should be more open to using offstage aerials to deny recovery as opposed to just trying to knock such a heavy character offscreen.

Now to watch Game 2.

Again, he seemed to just be constantly DI-ing toward you while slinging attacks around. He should play more patiently and wait for a good setup before moving in, especially in ground battles vs Yoshi, who punishes with grabs easily.

I also saw him use Bair just once that whole game. Kirby's Bair is a great spacing tool and overall attack. It shouldn't be his only move, but against Yoshi and Bowser of all characters, what his playstyle needs is more cowbell back air.

And once again, no throws. Maybe not so much vs Yoshi, but overall Kirby can really benefit from throwing an enemy into the air, where he can set up Utilts and short-hop aerials.

My recommendation: Work on spacing and movement, don't use an attack unless you can convince yourself that it will connect. Kirby was punished way too many times from missed opportunities. Feel free to use throws more often when your opponent just runs right in, the payoff is well worth it. And lastly, go for more subtle gimps to kill characters with bad recovery, Fsmash should not be your go-to kill move.

Hope that helps, and have a nice day.

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
*takes deep breath*
K, guys, please critique me. I'm trying to get better (and I have!) so if any of my greater fellow Kirbies can give me improvement tips, I would be reeeally grateful.

Mi]{e]{irbY :kirby: vs. Jtails :diddy:/:metaknight:

I know the match-ups, (and I see the obvious mistakes) I just got outplayed. Spot my habits or anything of that sort. Thanks!
:embarrass:

Wumbo105

Smash Ace
*takes deep breath*
K, guys, please critique me. I'm trying to get better (and I have!) so if any of my greater fellow Kirbies can give me improvement tips, I would be reeeally grateful.

Mi]{e]{irbY :kirby: vs. Jtails :diddy:/:metaknight:

I know the match-ups, (and I see the obvious mistakes) I just got outplayed. Spot my habits or anything of that sort. Thanks!
:embarrass:
I'm suffering from lack of sleep, so bear with me.

As far as habits go, I noticed that you tend to jump around their general area, and then do a falling b-air into them as you land. This, as I'm sure you figured out, isn't safe against neither Diddy nor MK. General spacing errors like that can cost games. I guess just learn the ins and outs of b-air, its exact range, and its speed/ending lag, and spacing will become innately easier.

Another thing (and i might be interpreting this wrong) is that your gameplay comes across to me as assertive and offensive. While this works for some matchups, I'm a firm believer in the idea that Kirby is a reactive fighter, not proactive. Once in a while, try to take a moment, and wait for the opponent to act and make a mistake and/or commit to something, and then capitalize. Kirby is just designed to counterattack really well, most notably with his retardedly huge grab range.
This way, you'll get caught in less sticky situations and you'll rack up more safe damage.

Just my $0.02

Kappy

Smash Ace
NNID
SwagTrain
3DS FC
2964-9085-1107
MikeKirby, please tell me how to do Kirby's "glide toss". PLEASE! That looked so stylish and fancy, and the use of Hup Canceling... finally, someone else who hups! LOL. I gotta use Hup Canceling to grab items on the ground more often.

For game 1:

You do have a really stylish playstyle, and I think part of it is it's 'too' stylish. Incorporate more basic maneuvers when you can, because playing too stylish results in missed stuff. Just watch yourself again and see where you could be too fancy.

Also, you use Fair a lot, and you don't retreat with it. Try moving forward with Fair and move backwards as it's ending. You'll prevent shield grabs and attacks. I saw you Fair'd and grabbed a ton because you would keep moving forward while Fair was ending.

Otherwise, I thought you played pretty well. There were a couple moments (like when you got spiked) where some better tech skill concerning SDI and teching would've been handy, but habits-wise I thought you played pretty well. Just try to hold back on the Fair and be a little less fancy.

Game 2:

To be honest, I thought you were playing really well. Just stop being so fancy. LOL. You Double Hup Canceled on the Forest Part and got punished because for those few frames you were committed to the Hup. You got read really hard the first two stocks, by the way. Try to bait those obvious MK gimps and punish them with Uair (or Hammer/Inhale if you're feeling bold). The third stock you should've had that tech. LOL.

By the way, I noticed that you don't really use Dtilt. Use it more - I'm sure you know how good it is. LOL.

And seriously...teach me how to do that "glide toss"! :colorful:

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
That's not a Glide Toss. Semantics aside:

1) Run/Dash
2) Cancel Run with Jump
3) Cancel Jump within 4 frames with an Item Toss (any direction).

Kappy

Smash Ace
NNID
SwagTrain
3DS FC
2964-9085-1107
There's a reason I put the " " around the word glide toss. LOL. I knew it wasn't a literal one, but I didn't know what it was called.

Anyway, thanks for telling me! I have to practice that. LOL.

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
Thanks guys, I'll take it all in stride. That's the first time I got called fancy, haha! Although, should try being a bit more simple! I did miss quite a bit of punishes. I have to stop hitting shields with my b-air's, too. By watching, I noticed Jtails likes to air dodge through my aerial pressure. I gotta capitalize on this next time! Good stuff, good stuff, thanks!

Kappy: I think it's called an Item Boost Toss? Iunno but hey it's a lot of fun to do! T!mzz got it!

:phone:

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Last I heard I think it was called a 'Jump-Canceled Item Toss' or 'JC Item Toss' because you cancel your jump with the toss. I don't keep track of the highfalutin terms, just the practical ones.

Kawaii Poyo

Smash Champion
I haven't uploaded a video of my Kirby in FOREVER so I figured now would be the time to share vids of my Kirby from last weekend. I only have 3 videos of my Kirby unfortunately (I went mostly MK, which is why), but I do want to main Kirby again, so I figured I'd ask for critique on my Kirby! :D

Poyo (:metaknight::kirby2:) vs Deez (:diddy:): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iby7BQWNdw
Poyo (:kirby2:) vs K9 (:snake:) $2 Set 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiTeDkg-1mU
Poyo (:kirby2:) vs K9 (:snake:) $2 Set 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD8IDtyGBvE&feature=relmfu

The first one is from tournament, I go Kirby game 2 (starts at 5:10) and the next 2 are money matches.

I feel I played solidly in the money matches, but I was rolling a lot when I didn't know what to do, so if someone could point out a better option for me when I was rolling that'd be great.

As for me vs Deez... I have NO IDEA how to approach Diddy with Kirby, so if a Kirby whose experienced vs Diddy could tell me what I should've been doing in that game, that'd be great!

Hopefully I'll be able to record/upload more videos of my Kirby at the next tourney I'm at. :D

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
You got a good Kirby Labernash. I'd say to try to lay of using specials too much. You got punished a bit by throwing out stones. When trying to land, usually the better option is to go around your opponent rather than trying to go through them offensively. Also it's a good thing to keep in mind that hammer and stone give you RCO lag which is one reason to be careful upon using them. I only saw the ditto match so that's what I'm basing my simple critique on. :ohwell:

Kawaii, against Diddy try to air camp a bit more. Diddy has a great ground game and you can avoid most of his shinaningans by staying airborn. Air camp until you can pick and chose when to land and/or approach. Just don't put yourself in a position where you can't respond to an airial assault if he so chooses. Also, try learning how to grab the bananas when landing so you don't slip on them. If Diddy has a banana, shielding in front of him is a bad idea. He can hit your shield with the banana and punish your shield stun with a grab. Hope these few tips help!

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
You don't actually grab bananas when you land, but just prior to landing. Just Air Dodge into the Banana and you'll pick it up before landing. I suppose you can pick them up with the Throw button (Z-button) as well, but then you wouldn't be able to instant-toss them if you wanted to.

The best advice for the Diddy match-up is simply to learn the 'banana game'. (go to Training Mode and learn as many item-based techniques as you can).

Labernash

Smash Lord
You got a good Kirby Labernash. I'd say to try to lay of using specials too much. You got punished a bit by throwing out stones. When trying to land, usually the better option is to go around your opponent rather than trying to go through them offensively. Also it's a good thing to keep in mind that hammer and stone give you RCO lag which is one reason to be careful upon using them. I only saw the ditto match so that's what I'm basing my simple critique on. :ohwell:

Kawaii, against Diddy try to air camp a bit more. Diddy has a great ground game and you can avoid most of his shinaningans by staying airborn. Air camp until you can pick and chose when to land and/or approach. Just don't put yourself in a position where you can't respond to an airial assault if he so chooses. Also, try learning how to grab the bananas when landing so you don't slip on them. If Diddy has a banana, shielding in front of him is a bad idea. He can hit your shield with the banana and punish your shield stun with a grab. Hope these few tips help!

Awesme, thanks man! I'll keep this in mind!

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
I saw the first set and I gotta say that is not a Pikachu that you should be losing to. Anyway, you already pointed out your rolling habit. Try just jumping out of the situation rather than rolling. I'm not saying rolling is bad but something like rolling into your opponent is quite often is. Alright, so I noticed you're quite impatient; trying to match your opponent hit for hit. Try to avoid unnecessary damage by jumping away. Play a little patient and let them whiff a move to punish. Kirby's special moves (like stone) have quite a bit of start-up and/or cooldown. Use them when you know they can hit rather than hoping they hit. Use more tilts than smashes. I saw only like 3 tilts in the whole set. Kirby's tilts are quick and can set up to other moves. Plus, you keep you smashes fresh for when it's time to net a KO. You could also SDI a little better, you shouldn't be getting hit by all the hitboxes that Pikachu's D-smash and F-air produce. Work on that and rep us good! :kirby:

-----------------------------------

Ok, so here is a match from me.

Mi]{e]{irbY :kirby: Vs. Chibo :rob: Match 2

Regardless of the outcome, I feel like I played too aggressive. I'm working on it though. Anyway, any critique would be helpful. Thanks guys.

Kawaii Poyo

Smash Champion
I feel you actually played really solidly that game. Like that second f-smash you got... I'm surprised it worked, but it was cool as heck. XD

At the end though, yeah you were getting too aggresive, but it's hard to know what to do against Chibo's plank stuff in the Japanese ruleset timer, so I don't blame you. If you remember at the end when you grabbed the ledge fast enough, you were able to uair him when he was previously being offstage and still getting away with recovering safely. I'd say do that more in the match-up and wait for R.O.B.s to go on the ledge marker and uair them more like you did that one time instead of trying to bair when they are offstage. Remember, R.O.B. can't airdodge during his Up-B, so it's safer to try to wait and attack him when he's in a position where he HAS to try to get back onstage rather than go offstage, cause you can miss then let him get him get back on for free. I mean, don't overdue it because then the R.O.B. will probably start recovering high, but when you go out offstage, don't actually throw out the bair unless you KNOW it'll it, you can still just make him think you're gonna bair and wait for him to fly above you, THEN uair. I dunno... It's been a long time since I played the R.O.B. match-up. ^^;

Really glad to see a fellow Kirby beat Chibo though (I lost to him at Pound 4 two years ago ;_; ). :D

Wumbo105

Smash Ace
Very good stuff Mike, I like the way you play. Reminds me a lot of my playstyle. And I don't think you played too aggressive...and if you did, Chibo didn't react to it anyway.

It's refreshing to see a Kirby player that really knows how his character works. Keep it up.

Kappy

Smash Ace
NNID
SwagTrain
3DS FC
2964-9085-1107
There were, like, two times where you ran in and got punished, but otherwise you played really well, Mike. LOL. Remember when I said you played too fancy against Jtails? I think you've really improved on the fancy part of your play style - you looked way more solid and way less flashy, so good stuff!

Also... I need to come to New York to meet you! You're the only other Kirby I know who actually HUPS mid-match! LOL.

Kappy

Smash Ace
NNID
SwagTrain
3DS FC
2964-9085-1107
I need to see a video!! The more Kirbies who HUP on YouTube, the better! LOL.

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
It always awesome to meet other Kirbies! I'd look forward to that Kappy. :)

It seems I gotta improve on bait and punishes. Will do! HUP!

Edit: I see why you wanted a video Kawaii. :laugh:

Top Bottom