• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The King of Klones (the Ganon character design thread)

Piedro

Smash Apprentice
Well, if they just took the current model, gave it a sword and some animations, they'd save a lot of time.

I mean: look at Lucas. He clearly has had less of a development cycle than Mewtwo did since his model was already similar to Ness and had some similar moves.

I think just giving Ganondorf his infamous sword would be a similar amount of work.

I'm still voting for it.
Yup. I will vote for that too. How did you vote? I mean what did you typed in the character field? Toon Ganondorf? Proper Ganondorf?

Quillion

Smash Hero
Yup. I will vote for that too. How did you vote? I mean what did you typed in the character field? Toon Ganondorf? Proper Ganondorf?
I regularly vote "Sword Ganondorf". Though I will sometimes say "Sword Ganondorf with Magic" or "Trident Ganondorf". Either works for me.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Also, why not just propose different customs like Palutena?
For me, because while I want Ganondorf to have a more fitting moveset, I also don't want any character to get the bias-seeping special treatment Palutena got. That, and I can't use those customs in For Glory.

Also, I'm more for the magic-based moveset Ganondorf could have over a sword-based one.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
For me, because while I want Ganondorf to have a more fitting moveset, I also don't want any character to get the bias-seeping special treatment Palutena got. That, and I can't use those customs in For Glory.

Also, I'm more for the magic-based moveset Ganondorf could have over a sword-based one.
I'm just going to say: Customs should be reflecting on different moves for every character, not just replications of another move. For example, Ness gets Lucas' PSI Magnet style, which is somewhat biased, right?

But I see your point. (But I still like Falcondorf)

Quillion

Smash Hero

I've been thinking about a mage Ganondorf in addition to sword (though I still prefer sword/trident).

Would you say he'd be like a heavier Mewtwo? I say that the way I think of Greninja as being Sheik with water weapons.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
So? Redeads maintain the original brainpower… kinda

Also, why not just propose different customs like Palutena?
Why not propose that for every character. Plus it doesn't fix the problem. Since standard attacks are what is used the most.

Piedro

Smash Apprentice
Why not propose that for every character. Plus it doesn't fix the problem. Since standard attacks are what is used the most.
Erhmm... Spammy links and Zero skill Spamuses would disagree.
On a serous note i was kinda downed when i learned that Palutena's customs are unique and not just variations. She is not special (a goddes, pfft).

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Erhmm... Spammy links and Zero skill Spamuses would disagree.
On a serous note i was kinda downed when i learned that Palutena's customs are unique and not just variations. She is not special (a goddes, pfft).
Yet those spam attacks still fit the character. And palutena got sakurai bias. Despite still being weak anyway.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Would everyone be okay with making another thread in this subforum where we vote for a Sword Ganondorf?

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Guys why don't we just have Black Shadow take Falcondorf's old moveset, excluding front tilt, Flame Choke, and FAir, and then give Ganondorf an awesome moveset. But then again I'd want Goroh in before Shadow but still.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Guys why don't we just have Black Shadow take Falcondorf's old moveset, excluding front tilt, Flame Choke, and FAir, and then give Ganondorf an awesome moveset. But then again I'd want Goroh in before Shadow but still.
Deathborn

Quillion

Smash Hero
How about we just get another Ganondorf but with a sword?

Literally the same model we have now, but with a sword? As a separate character?

I'm conflicted on whether I want to make a separate thread for that or not...

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Can you envision his move set?
Yeah I just start playing Hyrule Warriors and there it is. It even has a Warlock Punch that throws down a huge energy ball and gets punched and shatters into smaller energy balls. Much like how Ganondorf in OoT createsd a huge energy blast that split into magic missiles.

And HW Dorf is best Dorf. Especially since they somehow made Ganondorf in Smash look worse here then in Brawl. I mean honestly you look at the model and Brawl comes out the winner.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Yeah I just start playing Hyrule Warriors and there it is. It even has a Warlock Punch that throws down a huge energy ball and gets punched and shatters into smaller energy balls. Much like how Ganondorf in OoT createsd a huge energy blast that split into magic missiles.

And HW Dorf is best Dorf. Especially since they somehow made Ganondorf in Smash look worse here then in Brawl. I mean honestly you look at the model and Brawl comes out the winner.
HW Ganon is awesome, but Smash's Ganondorf needs to be a canon Ganon [dodges tomato], not a spinoff Ganon.

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
Despite loving Falcondorf, I agree with the OP. That's not a faithful represention anywhere, and why he has a Sword in a taunt if he won't use it?! I know he has a Custom move, but it's just a reskin of Warlock Punch. I would be okay with his Hyrule Warriors Version; If Black Shadow, the "villain" of F-Zero, borrowed it instead, it would make more sense.

Spootondorf

Smash Apprentice
And HW Dorf is best Dorf. Especially since they somehow mde Ganondorf in Smash look worse here then in Brawl. I mean honestly you look at the model and Brawl comes out the winner.
Yup. Not only does the toonish shading in the Wii U version not fit him very well (though it's not horrible by any stretch), but those mouth lines and grimace.... Seriously!? The 3DS version looks better most of the time, just because the screen is smaller. That said, you can still see it.

Via Smash Wiki: "Ganondorf's mouth does not open all the way, leaving small marks at the sides of his mouth that remain still."

Last edited:

Pyrofruit

Smash Rookie
I think this Ganon should stay the Sam, but they add a toon Ganon who's faithful to the canon ganondorf.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team

The best idea in this thread is a separate Gannon release. But Ganondorf should be as he is. Besides which his brawl iteration was different enough.

Quillion

Smash Hero

The best idea in this thread is a separate Gannon release. But Ganondorf should be as he is. Besides which his brawl iteration was different enough.
GANNON BANNED!

Also, that's just half the problem. The other half is that Ganondorf's canon abilities are disproportionately represented.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I mean should they stop insisting on giving Ganondorf swords and magic and just focus on using his pure strength? You're right that it does fit in his character, but the fact is that he does so very rarely.

If the Zelda developers actually adopted this, that would make him a more unique character instead of the more cliche sword-using overlord that they insist Ganondorf has to be now.

And it would shut up all the annoying whiners (like myself) who say that Ganondorf still isn't faithful to his canon depiction.

Last edited:

Rialdospaldacht

Smash Journeyman
Jesus, no. They shouldn't bend over to make his Smash portrayal make sense. Smash should conform to Zelda for him, not the other way around. If using swords is a problem (which I'm personally not a fan of), turn him back to the demon sorcerer he was before WW started this trend.

jmanup85

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jmanup85
3DS FC
1633-4569-8126
Can we stop with these moveset topics and what he does in the games already? It's seriously annoying

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Why? Did you have something against the final boss fights of Wind Waker and Twilight Princess or something?

Triggerpig

Smash Cadet
NNID
Triggerpigking
No, Ganondorfs always fought in a variety of different ways anyway, I would'nt mind seeing a phase where he fights hand to hand but changing his character to only do that would just be silly imo.

Jotari

Smash Journeyman
It's true he uses Swords but every time he has done so he's used them in a different way. So, I wouldn't mind if he went hand to hand for a bit (and in fact, he kind of does in the Oracle Games, not really using punches since it's a GBA game but he does swap between using a weapon and attacking with magic/pounding attacks), but I don't want it to be a permanent change to his character since Ganondorf's fighting style = whatever is appropriate for the games ending.

Would love if they gave us his smash fighting style in Hyrule Warriors though. That'd great. He already uses Warlock Punch for one attack. I'd love to charge through the field with Wizard's foot. Of course Hyrule Warriors could stand to give use his Twilight Princess and The Wind Waker fighting styles too.

Last edited:

The Shadow Emperor

Smash Apprentice
I love how versatile Ganon is. He can fight with a sword, with his fists and feet, or with magic, but he's a force to be reckoned with in every case. It would be fantastic if he used all three equally, but in the end, does it really matter how you lose to the King of Darkness?:4ganondorf:

Top Bottom