• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The King of Klones (the Ganon character design thread)

TheTrueCorrectGuy

Smash Apprentice
Holy **** people! Stop trying to deny the blatant, and obvious, glaring, sure as death, clear as day FACT that Ganondorf is represented piss poorly in Smash Bros. There is no point in debating this. We all know that Ganondorf's moveset and behavior is ****ing horrible in smash Bros. We all do. So why are you trying to convince yourselves that it's not true!? Don't reply to me telling me that you seriously and honestly do believe Ganondorf is well represented in Smash Bros. You don't. I know you don't, and so do you. Don't even bother telling me otherwise.

And if you like falcondorf, whatever. Who am I to judge. I also like him, and guess what, he's my ****ing main. However, I'm not going to act like Ganondorf is well represented in Smash Bros. just because I like playing as him. I know and understand that he's poorly represented. I'm not going to deny that. I'm not going to cover my ears and act as if its not true, as if Ganondorf is just like he is in the games because he's not. We ALL know he's not. Even the staunchest supporter of Falcondorf knows this. You may declare with utmost passion that its not true, but deep down, you know it is. Does that mean you can't enjoy falcondorf? Hell no. Does that mean that he's a poor choice for a main? Of course not. But is a good representation of Ganondorf from the Legend of Zelda Series? No, he is not. I know this post will likely do nothing, but I'd just like to have everyone understand. We all agree that his representation is piss poor. Debate is pointless.

Maybe you just don't want him to change. And whatever, I can see where that mindset would come from, but to say he's a goo representation is just wrong. You're kidding yourself people. Just accept the fact. Stop being insecure.

If you respond to this, don't expect me to answer to you. I'm done with this thread. I know that each and every argument for Ganondorf being a good representation is utter garbage, and I know that the people who disagree with me are in denial.

"Horrible argument!" "That's so untrue!" "Why would I lie about this!?" I can already read the replies. No matter how steadfast you seem, you know the truth. We all do. Please, end this thread. It's meaningless.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Holy **** people! Stop trying to deny the blatant, and obvious, glaring, sure as death, clear as day FACT that Ganondorf is represented piss poorly in Smash Bros. There is no point in debating this. We all know that Ganondorf's moveset and behavior is ****ing horrible in smash Bros. We all do. So why are you trying to convince yourselves that it's not true!? Don't reply to me telling me that you seriously and honestly do believe Ganondorf is well represented in Smash Bros. You don't. I know you don't, and so do you. Don't even bother telling me otherwise.

And if you like falcondorf, whatever. Who am I to judge. I also like him, and guess what, he's my ****ing main. However, I'm not going to act like Ganondorf is well represented in Smash Bros. just because I like playing as him. I know and understand that he's poorly represented. I'm not going to deny that. I'm not going to cover my ears and act as if its not true, as if Ganondorf is just like he is in the games because he's not. We ALL know he's not. Even the staunchest supporter of Falcondorf knows this. You may declare with utmost passion that its not true, but deep down, you know it is. Does that mean you can't enjoy falcondorf? Hell no. Does that mean that he's a poor choice for a main? Of course not. But is a good representation of Ganondorf from the Legend of Zelda Series? No, he is not. I know this post will likely do nothing, but I'd just like to have everyone understand. We all agree that his representation is piss poor. Debate is pointless.

Maybe you just don't want him to change. And whatever, I can see where that mindset would come from, but to say he's a goo representation is just wrong. You're kidding yourself people. Just accept the fact. Stop being insecure.

If you respond to this, don't expect me to answer to you. I'm done with this thread. I know that each and every argument for Ganondorf being a good representation is utter garbage, and I know that the people who disagree with me are in denial.

"Horrible argument!" "That's so untrue!" "Why would I lie about this!?" I can already read the replies. No matter how steadfast you seem, you know the truth. We all do. Please, end this thread. It's meaningless.
Wanna vote for a Sword/Trident/more faithful Ganondorf for DLC? If we have BOTH Falcondorf and a REAL Ganondorf in the roster, everyone would be satisfied.

You should aware that the fans who got what they want will not understand the pain of becoming a target of trolling and meme, right?

Anyway, it is up to the "director" and his team decision now. Especially they have to bring back Lucas and Mewtwo in such a pitiful fashion due to "fans" request. Wooo! it is like the "fans" of Japan and "director" are steadfast enough to hold back their decision. To those "unique franchise, "non-anime series" or "unfavorable randomness", Metroid and Metal Gear are treated not the way they should, especially the Metroid who once pushed Gamecube and Wii skyrocket via the success of Prime series along with Twilight Princess. If any of fans want to be delusional, go ahead and open a new thread or discussion. The discussion should be involve the reason why Ganondorf should represent, not discussing any nip picking or unnecessary detail.

For the last time, I did not say the "director" does not work; however, his decision and "bias" have to stop. If he insisted have more character in melee, why would he uses ANY racer in F-Zero, which can promote the upcoming game in gamecube rather than waste a such valuable opportunity? I once heard that he keeps Falcondorf because he prefers character with "mano y mano" style. Sincerely, I do not give craps to those reasoning. I only care the justice is justified.

"Sight" it seems fans care more about some animeish angel or overly represent pokemon nowadays. The vote may not be valid to a space dragon or Ganondorf because they are the "exceptions", talking about double standard when a puff ball pokemon does not deserve a roster since she IS a joke character like Pichu (in term of relevancy to the series).

Quillion

Smash Hero
"Sight" it seems fans care more about some animeish angel or overly represent pokemon nowadays. The vote may not be valid to a space dragon or Ganondorf because they are the "exceptions", talking about double standard when a puff ball pokemon does not deserve a roster since she IS a joke character like Pichu (in term of relevancy to the series).
Again, we need to drum up support for voting for a Sword or Trident Ganondorf (with magic). Please spread the word!!!!

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43

At this point I just don't care anymore. Sure I'd love to see Ganondorf have Dead Man's Volley instead of Warlock Punch, or otherwise get Classic Ganon as a better representation of Zelda canon, but I'm not losing sleep over Sakurai's canon-bending when I've got a fun and powerful character to play as right now. Captain Falcon himself is a worse representation of canon than Ganondorf is and nobody minds. Jigglypuff isn't canon at all either, but is fun to play as and nobody's throwing a fit. I completely agree that this thread is meaningless, as Ganondorf's not getting a completely new moveset after 3 games and you're just beating a dead horse at this point.

It is really up to "director" at this point. He wants to make clone, then he should uses character with more relevancy in the past. His decision and rational are getting more obvious. "Alienating" players are not some issues. It IS an excuse. This should stop now.

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
....I agree with most of what you say, but....Jigglypuff?

The reason Jigglypuff is in smash is because she's just as popular as Pikachu, at least in Japan (where the game IS made, after all). When she first made her debut in smash 64, pokemon was far from being over-represented. Since then, all of the fighters from there have consistently returned to each other game, so it makes no sense that Jigglypuff shouldn't get the same treatment.

Pokemon IS over-represented nowadays, I won't contest that. I also won't disagree that Jigglypuff is essentially a joke character (though with folks like Rob and DHD, that's not a valid arguement). Saying that she doesn't deserve the spot on the roster is pushing it too far, because of how much she brings to the table. She's unique. She's dynamic. You can't compare her playstyle to anyone else's in smash- even Kirby, who she was once a semi-clone of, is incapable of emulating her.

Again, I agree that pokemon is waaaay too dominant on the roster (though, mario has the same amount of roster spots filled, plus characters from series finding their roots in mario.....nobody complains about them). But if we have too get down to removing somebody from that series, Jigglypuff is the wrong way to go. Personally, my pick is Charizard- his inclusion doesn't add that much to the game, and certainly not as much as the other pokemon reps.

Last edited:

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
I really like Ganondorf's moveset, and here's why:
Captain falcon was given a moveset perfect for the cocky, proud, and epic person he is. So since ganon has a similar moveset, but with twice as much power, and ten times more disrespect, and a hundred times more satisfaction when you get that amazing read, making Ganon's moveset the absolute best moveset for the evil, dark, disrespectful, and disgusting person he is.
I must admit that I have never played a Zelda game, so maybe I wouldn't value representation as much as an avid follower of the series, but I know enough about it to know that this moveset perfectly represents Ganondorf's personality, and is a very accurate representation of him. I know that it represents basically none of the actual powers he has, but that doesn't matter, since his personality still persists.
Also, If I wanted to win with a captain falcon style moveset, I would use captain falcon. I use ganon because he is so dang disrespectful, and he is so much more fun to destroy people's hopes and dreams with than falcon. (and that is saying a lot since I love the F-Zero series)

If Ganon's moveset were changed, who would I, or anyone else for that matter, use when you just want to make the most epic reads of all time, use the most amazing meteor smash in the game, or make hilarious compilations on youtube of ganon shenanigans? I hope this moveset never changes! I love it!

Piedro

Smash Apprentice
Captain falcon was given a moveset perfect for the cocky, proud, and epic person he is. So since ganon has a similar moveset, but with twice as much power, and ten times more disrespect, and a hundred times more satisfaction when you get that amazing read, making Ganon's moveset the absolute best moveset for the evil, dark, disrespectful, and disgusting person he is.
I must admit that I have never played a Zelda game, so maybe I wouldn't value representation as much as an avid follower of the series, but I know enough about it to know that this moveset perfectly represents Ganondorf's personality, and is a very accurate representation of him. I know that it represents basically none of the actual powers he has, but that doesn't matter, since his personality still persists.
Also, If I wanted to win with a captain falcon style moveset, I would use captain falcon. I use ganon because he is so dang disrespectful, and he is so much more fun to destroy people's hopes and dreams with than falcon. (and that is saying a lot since I love the F-Zero series)

If Ganon's moveset were changed, who would I, or anyone else for that matter, use when you just want to make the most epic reads of all time, use the most amazing meteor smash in the game, or make hilarious compilations on youtube of ganon shenanigans? I hope this moveset never changes! I love it!
"I have never played a Zelda Game"
Than watch some final boss clips from ocarina of time and twilight princess. "Now that some damn power you've got Ganondorf"
"Disrespectful"
I AM PUKING THAT WORD!

_Ganondorf_

The Demon King
NNID
GanonFist

I think all of us like the "style" and gameplay he has however; proven by the various PM mods I posted here even with more ranged magic or a sword the reading/disrespect playstyle remains completely intact but it's just a more canon move set. I think Flame Choke, Dair, Ftilt are all great and even if he gets new more canon moves those should stay. But the likes of WP, his smashes, Uptilt, wiz kick should all be gone imho and for an evil swordsman/warlock those are just so unfitting.

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
I think all of us like the "style" and gameplay he has however; proven by the various PM mods I posted here even with more ranged magic or a sword the reading/disrespect playstyle remains completely intact but it's just a more canon move set. I think Flame Choke, Dair, Ftilt are all great and even if he gets new more canon moves those should stay. But the likes of WP, his smashes, Uptilt, wiz kick should all be gone imho and for an evil swordsman/warlock those are just so unfitting.
Yeah, I know you guys are definitely right, this moveset is not canonical at all. Like, I kinda wish this moveset belonged to someone else, like if black shadow from F-zero were to be introduced into the game (probably not going to happen anytime soon though), I would immediately give him Ganondorf's current moveset, and give Ganon something more fitting, but I will not stand for this moveset being removed from the game! I hate to say it, but I don't use ganon because I like the character, I use him because I love his moveset.

Quillion

Smash Hero
You guys really wanna know the reason why we want a Ganondorf with sword use?

Now do you realize why we want this awesomeness?

Also, I don't really get the "Captain Falcon's moveset is completely original so it can go to every single character" argument as being a defense for Falcondorf. If anything Falcon's moveset being completely original should be used against Falcondorf.

Sorry, I was kind of exaggerated. Anyway, my point was that jigglepuff is a "copy and paste" of kirby in the 64 due to the time restraints and budgets. However, if Sakurai can manage to give Jigglepuff a mostly unique moveset on Jigglepuff on the first try AND without "alienating" the fans. Why not Ganondorf? Also, if I can recall, Jigglepuff is one of Sakurai's favorite, so giving some excuse why he can capture the character so well. But, Ganondorf could have a unique moveset rather than an ambiguously similar moveset with Capt. Falcon.

Seriously though, "fit personality" is same spamming level as "Ridley is too big". These two counters arguments are weak enough that the contradictions are blatantly obvious to an extent to become junk mails. I would say the "personality" fits characters who do not have fighting animation. But Ganondorf has various fighting move to pull from even as a beast Ganon in other games. In conclusion, the "personality" is a gambol just how Sakurai could make Greninja a UNIQUE character due to Pokemon XY release. Ganondorf's moveset should be and always be unique, not a subject to director's bias. If any of fans want to use "not famous enough", "too big", "not canon", "(insulting comments) characters", "personality", or "Sakurai said so", then go ahead to use them. Those "evidences are weak and digressed the whole topic. I hope people could forgive my rants previously due to my frustrations. Still, I hope anyone could read my post.

_Ganondorf_

The Demon King
NNID
GanonFist
Both characters made/re-made by modders for PM with limited resources (unlike the actual game makers) and besides for testers are made almost solely by themselves. And they did a heck of a job! Way better than Sakurai and his team ever did or even try to do. And although both these modders are extremely talented, Sakurai & the other developers should be ashamed that fans did a better job than they ever did...

Ganondorf:
v3.1 -
- sword & magic + duel wielding moveset
v4.1 -
- magic based moveset with 1 sword move (sword stance is yet to be added)
Just putting this here again for people who didn't see it.

Video 1 = Ganondorf with sword & magic - with same read/punish/disrespectful style.

Video 2 = Ganondorf with magic & fists (only 1 sword move) - again same style even closer to Falcondorf due to no sword (duh).

Both videos prove without a shadow of a doubt that Ganondorf can have a unique move set without losing anything that made him fun to play as Falcondorf (second Video/version more so obviously...)

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
I don't have much to say that hasn't been said. But here's my view on the matter:

Ganondorf's playstyle is a perfect representation of Ganondorf. He comes up with complex schemes and advanced reads and then crushes you with pure power.

His animations are much much more debatable. I personally love Fisticuffdorf, and would equally love Ganon with a sword, provided the playstyle remained.

_Ganondorf_

The Demon King
NNID
GanonFist
I don't have much to say that hasn't been said. But here's my view on the matter:

Ganondorf's playstyle is a perfect representation of Ganondorf. He comes up with complex schemes and advanced reads and then crushes you with pure power.

His animations are much much more debatable. I personally love Fisticuffdorf, and would equally love Ganon with a sword, provided the playstyle remained.
Yeah it can remain just like in the video I posted above ;)

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
The only reason why Ganondorf doesn't use his sword or magic is because no one is worthy of fighting him at his fullest. Not even the Hero.

Piedro

Smash Apprentice
The only reason why Ganondorf doesn't use his sword or magic is because no one is worthy of fighting him at his fullest. Not even the Hero.
Or maybe he's purposely holding back so he can stay alive for longer periods of time. We know from Subspace Emissary that being turned into a trophy form at the end of the match- equals death for Smashers. If Dorf would've used his full potential the matches would be too short. He would be a trophy for the majority of his existence. He's just playing smart.

Last edited:

TheTrueCorrectGuy

Smash Apprentice
Or maybe he's is purposely holding back so he can stay alive for longer periods of time. We know from Subspace Emissary that being turned into a trophy form at the end of the match- equals death for Smashers. If Dorf would've used his full potential the matches would be too short. He would be a trophy for the majority of his existence. He's just playing smart.
Dude, just stop. You're kidding yourself here. I have a better theory too. The developers ran out of time and put Ganondorf's model of Captain Falcon's and were either too lazy or too low on time to change it in later installments.

Piedro

Smash Apprentice
Dude, just stop. You're kidding yourself here. I have a better theory too. The developers ran out of time and put Ganondorf's model of Captain Falcon's and were either too lazy or too low on time to change it in later installments.
I know and I still hold full support to Your thread. I want to suggest changes via the bullot. I just wanted to show my theory from the point of Smash lore.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357

Couldn't have said this better myself. 100% agreed. The playstyle, raw display of power and darkness is very much fitting with Ganondorf. Some of his few non-clone moves are a perfect match of Ganondorf, especially the Flame Choke and Final Smash.

As a matter of fact, Jigglypuff is comparable to Ganondorf, given she was a semi-clone of Kirby (clones of character from different franchises due to technicalities) and even now she retains some similar animations and attributes to Kirby (multiple jumps, some similar animations such as forward Smash, back throw and down aerial).

So, I think the best solution would be giving Ganondorf the same treatment Jigglypuff got by altering some moves, but still retaining some remnants of his Falcon clone moveset and the overall play style.

I'm okay with him as is, though. I think he feels enough like Ganondorf to me. I state this by having played all Zelda games except two (A Link to the Past and The Minish Cap).

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Just putting this here again for people who didn't see it.

Video 1 = Ganondorf with sword & magic - with same read/punish/disrespectful style.

Video 2 = Ganondorf with magic & fists (only 1 sword move) - again same style even closer to Falcondorf due to no sword (duh).

Both videos prove without a shadow of a doubt that Ganondorf can have a unique move set without losing anything that made him fun to play as Falcondorf (second Video/version more so obviously...)
Personally, I prefer the second video as I like the idea of Ganondorf focusing on magical and physical power with his own unique moveset more than the using sword and magic (don't really hate it, just prefer the former). Also, I think changing the animation of his down air to a downward punch that resembles the one he did here whilst still keeping the exact same functions as before.

If they ever do make a new moveset, this has to be his down smash https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=jVR03bMe0TA#t=132
I feel similarly

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
Sorry, I was kind of exaggerated. Anyway, my point was that jigglepuff is a "copy and paste" of kirby in the 64 due to the time restraints and budgets. However, if Sakurai can manage to give Jigglepuff a mostly unique moveset on Jigglepuff on the first try AND without "alienating" the fans. Why not Ganondorf? Also, if I can recall, Jigglepuff is one of Sakurai's favorite, so giving some excuse why he can capture the character so well. But, Ganondorf could have a unique moveset rather than an ambiguously similar moveset with Capt. Falcon.
T'is fine, just a rather sore point. Jigglypuff gets a lot of disrespect from people who don't know much about her, so it's annoying when somebody gives her flack for being "bad" or "stupid." That being said, she WAS a semi-clone of kirby in smash 64, and since she got changed while preserving her playstyle there's no real reason why Ganondorf shouldn't.
Couldn't have said this better myself. 100% agreed. The playstyle, raw display of power and darkness is very much fitting with Ganondorf. Some of his few non-clone moves are a perfect match of Ganondorf, especially the Flame Choke and Final Smash.

As a matter of fact, Jigglypuff is comparable to Ganondorf, given she was a semi-clone of Kirby (clones of character from different franchises due to technicalities) and even now she retains some similar animations and attributes to Kirby (multiple jumps, some similar animations such as forward Smash, back throw and down aerial).

So, I think the best solution would be giving Ganondorf the same treatment Jigglypuff got by altering some moves, but still retaining some remnants of his Falcon clone moveset and the overall play style.

I'm okay with him as is, though. I think he feels enough like Ganondorf to me. I state this by having played all Zelda games except two (A Link to the Past and The Minish Cap).
Again, Jigglypuff was indeed a clone in smash 64. However, if you take a look at her moveset nowadays the moves you listed are generally different in functionality and animation (the animations look similar, but they're different enough that you can tell they were animated separately.) Except back throw. That's still pretty much ripped right from kirby.

The odd thing about Jigglypuff versus kirby, though, is the decloning process wasn't all jiggs. Kirby himself underwent a lot of changes that differentiated himself from Jigglypuff, in addition to the other way around. Not really sure how that's relevant, though....

Last edited:

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Killjoy. No cake for you.

Quillion

Smash Hero

That's RIGHT. I'd love to see Ganondorf remain a slow, intelligent fighter, but having a sword would make him better while not necessarily taking away from that playstyle (see: Ike).

Though the other big thing that irritates me about Falcondorf (aside from no sword/trident use) are those stupid kicks. You cannot tell me that Ganondorf can do an axe kick, a flip kick, a flying kick, and a double roundhouse kick. Not only does he not do that in series (only a more reserved thrust kick which was carried into Brawl) he wears heavy armor for god's sake!

Rialdospaldacht

Smash Journeyman
That's RIGHT. I'd love to see Ganondorf remain a slow, intelligent fighter, but having a sword would make him better while not necessarily taking away from that playstyle (see: Ike).

Though the other big thing that irritates me about Falcondorf (aside from no sword/trident use) are those stupid kicks. You cannot tell me that Ganondorf can do an axe kick, a flip kick, a flying kick, and a double roundhouse kick. Not only does he not do that in series (only a more reserved thrust kick which was carried into Brawl) he wears heavy armor for god's sake!
This man also jumps at least thirty feet in the air and backflips in that same heavy armor in TP, though.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
We Gerudo don't get pleasant cooking conditions for cookies either.
Easy for you to say. Where I come from, Nabooru made really good ones.

But if it pleases you, no dominion for you, then.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
What would be ideal for :4ganondorf: is if he had 3 playstyles, but in one character. Kind of like the :4mii: with :4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword:. But imagine :4ganondorf: with a Falcondorf moveset, a magical moveset based of Ocarina of Time, and a sword based moveset. I think that would make people happy.

But it's too much time to consume for one character, so it will never happen, and the people will forever think of :4ganondorf: and :4falcon: as distant cousins.

Quillion

Smash Hero
So everyone, how's it going for voting for a sword-or-trident-using Ganondorf?

Again, I'm sure that if we have BOTH a Canondorf and Falcondorf, everyone will be happy.

The Shadow Emperor

Smash Apprentice
What would be ideal for :4ganondorf: is if he had 3 playstyles, but in one character. Kind of like the :4mii: with :4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword:. But imagine :4ganondorf: with a Falcondorf moveset, a magical moveset based of Ocarina of Time, and a sword based moveset. I think that would make people happy.

But it's too much time to consume for one character, so it will never happen, and the people will forever think of :4ganondorf: and :4falcon: as distant cousins.
:4palutena:

Nuff said.

Quillion

Smash Hero

Well, if they just took the current model, gave it a sword and some animations, they'd save a lot of time.

I mean: look at Lucas. He clearly has had less of a development cycle than Mewtwo did since his model was already similar to Ness and had some similar moves.

I think just giving Ganondorf his infamous sword would be a similar amount of work.

I'm still voting for it.

Top Bottom