• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Importance of TX Unity in Smash 4

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Hey y'all, Razer/GrimTurtle here.

Something I've been wanting to address with TX is the importance of intercity travel and growth through Smash 4. Brawl has died out for the most part in this state which I think is due to a variety of reasons, but that's not for this thread. With Smash 4 releasing, it's a new age in smash for the state of TX. With the recent exposure of smash and Nintendo watching the scene apparently, this game may be an opportunity for smash to be bigger than ever here.

A new game means new blood will enter the scene. It means that some older players and maybe much of the old Brawl scene will be returning. The reason TX smash was so successful and flourishing in 2008-2010 is that cities often traveled to other cities. Dallas traveled to Houston. Houston traveled to Dallas. San Antonio, Austin, RGV, San Angelo, El Paso and other cities often traveled with each other. We had 80+ monthlies at some points. It was amazing for smash here.

Since Brawl died out here, Houston and most of TX has been pretty much dead. Dallas has emerged with their strong PM scene and that's great. I know that Houston will be back in full force with Smash 4 here and other cities like San Antonio will make a comeback as well. I want to stress the importance of cities traveling to other cities for tournaments. This will undoubtedly connect many smashers, old and new, and give us eye popping numbers for tournaments. It'll promote competition and growth across the state back to old form. It'll allow cities to practice and compete against other smashers they aren't familiar with (due to TX being such a large state to travel through).

I'm asking TO heads (Xyro, Nike, Infinity/TLOC etc.) to gather together to set up schedules of major monthly tournaments in each city. If we're even organized enough, we can have one grand circuit throughout the year or every six months similar to the Lone Star Circuit in Brawl.

Lastly, I'm asking each city to have patience with the release of the game. Rules will likely not be the same in the beginning. This holds true for across the nation. Many will be trying 3 stocks vs 2 stocks or custom moves vs no custom moves or certain stages etc. Be logical and understanding and don't let something like one of these rules bar you from traveling. I for one know I'll be traveling all over TX again no matter the rule changes.

Let's get back to the days of night before tournament fests or house tournaments with all of TX there or crew battles. Going to cities all over TX can even help with rankings for larger tournaments. Let's get TX trained up and ready for the ultimate battles at nationals either here or out of state.

I'd like your thoughts as a state. Thanks.

Travel Options

This is for new comers to the scene or people who need a reminder. Texas can be a huge state to travel to. Average commutes from cities can range from 3-6+ hours alone. Here are some of the best ways to gain travel.

1) Arrange a carpool - Tournament threads or Facebook events for tournaments usually show up at least a month before the actual event. If you wish to travel to another city, seek to find a carpool! It's best if 5 or more people can carpool and travel together and split the gas cost. Those of you who are willing and able to drive, please step up in taking people across for tournaments. Make sure to plan your whole trip properly along with housing if needed.

2) Megabus - So Megabus is a an extremly beneficial way to travel across TX if you're looking to save money or simply can't afford the gas costs and such. You can find round trip bus tickets between cities for as low as $1.00 - ONE DOLLAR.
Please utilize this asset. I've went to Dallas before with this. Travel with a group too. Smash 3DS on Megabus sounds pretty freaking fun. For ticket prices: https://www.megabus.com/

3) Air Travel - I would consider this a last resort as plane tickets can be expensive. But if you want to go for it, check out places like https://www.expedia.com/ to find tickets. It's the fastest form of travel but probably most expensive.

Last edited:

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
To start discussion as well, here is the first big tournament I'm seeing here in TX (with adequate time to practice the game)

http://smashboards.com/threads/nov-...ree-venue-and-free-food.366489/#post-17681120

TGC in Houston. No venue fee. Free food. Also features Kart and Pokemon. Should be big.

Dallas is also having a tournament for everyone open on October 5th (2 days after release) if you're interested here

http://smashboards.com/threads/fina...t-denti-dakpo-bwett-aerolink-and-more.370321/

I would love to go but don't feel like I'd have enough time with the game to compete. I haven't had a chance to extensively play the Japanese version. I most likely would attend their next one either later in the month of October or after TGC.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Thanks. I think there's a huge opportunity here and would be wasted if there wasn't some sort of unity or even pointless bickering. Would like to see this thing fly off from the get go.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I'll keep this thread on watch.

It's a good a time as any to remind people that Megabus is absolutely amazing for intercity travel for those who have issues with cars and the like. I just randomly searched for trips to Houston from SA, and found a round trip that totaled four dollars. Four. Damn. Dollars. Use it. Abuse it. Love it.

Players willing to carpool and pick up players from stops and, for national level events, airports are going to be a huge asset to getting everyone together in one place. If unity is what we want, then it's up to everyone to prove it by connecting. :applejack:

Last edited:

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Oh yes! I forgot about Megabus. I know TX is huge so traveling via car can be expensive for some. Megabus is definitely wonderful as I've found tickets from Houston to Dallas round trip for as low as a dollar before.

Communication is the key on this kind of stuff. I think I'll edit in travel options into the OP.

alex mora

Smash Ace
NNID
amora2319
I'd be willing to Co-TO with anyone in Houston to organize a huge monthly Smash 4 tourney once the Wii U version drops. I'd like to collaborate with TGC and/or TLoc for something in the near future!

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Definitely get with Xyro. He's the go to man in terms of Houston tournaments. So far we have TGC November 1st and December 6th set up it looks like.

alex mora

Smash Ace
NNID
amora2319
Havent heard anything about December 6th? Im hosting weeklies in The Woodlands (30 min north of houston) for 3DS every saturday and online tourneys on wednesdays.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
They have apparently set the venue for Decemver 6th as well and will feature the Wii U version so mark your calendars!

Since the Woodlands is a far drive for Houstonians, I suggest you make time to postpone those weeklies on large monthlies based in Houston or another city. It's still early in this process though.

alex mora

Smash Ace
NNID
amora2319
I've been communicating with Xyro about planning for Houston. I think we have the next couple months of weeklies and large tourneys planned pretty well between myself him and gameguys.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Wow Razer, I am really impressed. Full support from me, that's for sure.

TM_icecream

Smash Ace
The hard part about unity is that TO's (at least in TX for the most part) are super alpha-male types. What's going to have to happen is we'll have to set our pride aside and work with each other as best as we can.

I totally agree with the concept, and hope to play a part in making TX the best place on earth for smash.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
lmfao @ super alpha-male types we'll work together at hosting tournaments, travelling and attendance
but it won't stop DALLAS FROM SUCKING **** that's for sure

Last edited:

Haptic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2251-5184-4442
I remember when Razer was just a 16-year-old Wii remote-wielding Snake prodigy. Now he's stepping up and doing his best to unify all of Texas. They grow up so fast. *sniff*

All joking aside, I haven't been a part of the community for many years, but I plan to come back for Smash 4, and I'm all for this! The crew battles between Texas cities at the beginning of Brawl were so hype, I'd love to see them make a return for Smash Wii U.

oscarmalherbe

Smash Cadet
I don't know what you're talking about "dead scene". We've been playing Melee for the past 4 years and project M all year.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I'd definitely go to almost every single TX tournament if I could, but the no car thing is about the only reason I don't.
Not sure on Megabus option though, but maybe once Smash 4 comes out our main drivers in SA will be more available for whichever weekends has a tournament compared to mid 2012 and so on, not a lot of us were ecstatic about spending money for Dallas Lubbock or Tyler tournaments as well for brawl at the time.

Sync.

Smash Champion
Hehe housing and organization won't be a big problem on my side either :) I'll speak with Tesh and stuff for all of that but I'm always on board!

Sex Saloon returns? Pidove edition?

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Good idea, just hope it doesn't fall apart...

Gea

Smash Master
Get yo rivalries on too. Start it off strong. First big meetup = real crewbattles. Houston vs Dallas go.

Airbrush_King

Smash Ace
Great thread Razer! To touch on this thread I will be locking in dates for the venues and everything will be announced in the Texas Gaming Championships thread months in advance so that all the TO's know TGC dates ahead of time. Nov 1 has been announced and Dec 6 is confirmed. Promo has begun and xyro will be launching the thread soon. Texas Gaming Championships 1 will be around Feb so mark your calendars. Im still discussing a deal and date and once that date is confirmed I will sign contracts and announce it. Just so everyone knows Me and Xyro already have our TGC dates planned out up to 2015. Once contracts are signed we will announce dates ahead of time so this prevents date conflicting. I would like to see TO's get together to support each other this way it will make our scene strong as it once was. The challenge is to get everyone on the same page because in the past everyone pretty much did there own thing so if a bond could be made it would be a good look for Texas as a whole. That being said, Im looking forward to the future of the Texas smash community and helping as much as possible. I have some major announcements ill be making soon so stay tuned!

Last edited:

Tesh

Smash Hero
greyhound also started doing 1$ fares as a response to megabus for those of you not in the biggest cities. megabus is still better by far when available though.

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
Good idea! Looking forward to getting more involved in the scene this time around.

Nike.

Smash Hero
  • Don't do GrimTurtle. Razer is better.
  • I agree with the idea of a circuit. Like you said, there is a major opportunity with the support from Nintendo and exposure to new players in Texas seems better than when Brawl came out.
  • Shiken is going to be hosting the monthlies in Austin. About 2 months ago he secured a venue so I'm excited about that.
  • As for San Antonio, I've already got a venue set up. I've also been buying small cheap HDTV's for awhile, I hope to have around 20 by the time monthlies start occurring. Needless to say, San Antonio will be doing great.
  • WEEKLIES. I'm not sure how many smashers here got into PM but the scene really presented an opportunity. The Austin scene got so much interest that they started hosting weeklies on Thursday nights. They were getting 50-60 entrants almost every week. That is absurd. Imagine if every major city/region had weeklies like this and everyone bought into them? We could literally claim best state in the country.
  • As far as concerns, I think RGV is something we as a state should try to improve. Texas traveled to RGV during the Brawl era very little. There were multiple factors as to why but it's something we shouldn't repeat for Smash4. When I was in Corpus a few months ago I presented the idea of traveling down once every few months to host tournies and while it was well received, the problem presented was lack of venues. Idk, just brainstorming right now but thoughts anyone?

SnorlaxPie500

Smash Journeyman

In all seriousness, I loved the post and for someone who is going to be new to the scene it was motivating for me to do my part and make it out to the dffierent cities.

San Antonio and Austin are reasonable drives for me and I will definitely do my best to get to Houston.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
  • Don't do GrimTurtle. Razer is better.
  • I agree with the idea of a circuit. Like you said, there is a major opportunity with the support from Nintendo and exposure to new players in Texas seems better than when Brawl came out.
  • Shiken is going to be hosting the monthlies in Austin. About 2 months ago he secured a venue so I'm excited about that.
  • As for San Antonio, I've already got a venue set up. I've also been buying small cheap HDTV's for awhile, I hope to have around 20 by the time monthlies start occurring. Needless to say, San Antonio will be doing great.
  • WEEKLIES. I'm not sure how many smashers here got into PM but the scene really presented an opportunity. The Austin scene got so much interest that they started hosting weeklies on Thursday nights. They were getting 50-60 entrants almost every week. That is absurd. Imagine if every major city/region had weeklies like this and everyone bought into them? We could literally claim best state in the country.
  • As far as concerns, I think RGV is something we as a state should try to improve. Texas traveled to RGV during the Brawl era very little. There were multiple factors as to why but it's something we shouldn't repeat for Smash4. When I was in Corpus a few months ago I presented the idea of traveling down once every few months to host tournies and while it was well received, the problem presented was lack of venues. Idk, just brainstorming right now but thoughts anyone?
  • Perhaps. I'll let the people decide.
  • Exactly. I see you as the head TO in SA in regards to Smash 4, so hopefully you can get with Xyro and Infinity and whoever else to help set something up.
  • Awesome! Perhaps a group or thread needs to be created collaborating all this and letting people know about events in TX.
  • Sounds awesome. You know I'll be there when I can. Be it FS or Nikefest or whatever.
  • Whoa I didn't even know about that. I definitely support weeklies, but just want those TO's to be aware of the big monthlies. Perhaps delay that week to travel to said monthly? Don't want to split up TX too much.
  • This is true indeed. Hopefully we can see what scene comes out from far cities in TX.

In all seriousness, I loved the post and for someone who is going to be new to the scene it was motivating for me to do my part and make it out to the dffierent cities.

San Antonio and Austin are reasonable drives for me and I will definitely do my best to get to Houston.
Glad to have you on board! TX is an awesome place to travel for smash.

Last edited:

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
idk how to feel.... except pre-excluded as EP doesn't really feel like a part of texas, despite our best efforts no one ever made the trip over here, so we only get to experience one part of the community which is great an amazing but we've tried to invite people to host them and of course since texas is so damn big the only people who accept our invitations are people from the 2 states to the west.

idk why I shared this either...

gamma1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lokighsh
Texas does have great potential. Honestly haven't been around too much since Brawl started dying out. I enjoy this community. It's really cool going to trounaments and seeing old faces and new ones. I'll gladly be doing my part to try and stay active with Sm4sh.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
idk how to feel.... except pre-excluded as EP doesn't really feel like a part of texas, despite our best efforts no one ever made the trip over here, so we only get to experience one part of the community which is great an amazing but we've tried to invite people to host them and of course since texas is so damn big the only people who accept our invitations are people from the 2 states to the west.

idk why I shared this either...
I understand your frustration. El Paso is a whopping 11 hours or so from Houston I believe. I personally couldn't travel or drive out there myself during Brawl. I hope you guys would continue to try and be apart of the Eastern half of TX or try to make it out to San Angelo and stuff. Perhaps a circuit event in El Paso could even help get people out there.

Razer is way better than GrimTurtle

Infinity has 2 weeklies every week, 1 for PM and 1 for smash 4
For now. Like I said, I just want all TO's to talk and schedule stuff out :)

Texas does have great potential. Honestly haven't been around too much since Brawl started dying out. I enjoy this community. It's really cool going to trounaments and seeing old faces and new ones. I'll gladly be doing my part to try and stay active with Sm4sh.
Glad to have you on board!

Top Bottom