• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "I thought I was good but I'm really not" Thread

EpicFlyingTaco

Smash Cadet
Me, I have a lot of trouble with projectile spam. Also my fundamentals aren't that good, so I'm playing smash 4 to work on those so I can carry them over in to melee and PM. Either my fundamentals or my punish game, probably both. That being said, I do feel like I'm getting slightly better every time I play. Very, very, very slightly, but I am getting better.

D

Deleted member

I'm hovering around 60% myself. I really just need to get out of some bad habits and get my reads down and I'll probably improve, but for now I am an incredibly average Smash player.

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
I have no problems in For Glory so far. About 87% in over 100 matches. Not sure how that'll translate after 2 or 3 hundred, but I'm hoping it's as high as it is now. xD

Definitely liking the experience I get from it.

Quetzal77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
yomugo
3DS FC
1349-4940-0147
On release day I went on For Glory a bit and did all right, I'm not competitive so it was about what I expected. I got myself up to 50ish% winning streak. Over the weekend I played a lot, and I could feel myself improving. By Monday my last 10 matches were 80% wins. Until I went back online. Next time I checked it was down to 20% wins. D:

Now it's on and off, sometimes I'll win a bunch in a row, sometimes my opponent and I are evenly matched, and other times I'll get a pro and since I like to stay and face better players a few times it'll bring my rating back down. XP

Peterawr

Smash Cadet
I've been doing a lot f one on one matches lately in for glory.
And it's been tough, but I've grown so much.
I fought this one person who was AMAZING with so many characters.
I lost every single match (coming off a 7 win streak) to him, but damn he made me play hard.

Yea, it sucks losing over and over, but I'm so much better now that I kept fighting him. I used different characters each time as did he. Which made it super fun, rather than fighting against a little mac over and over and over.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
Often I know what I want to do, but I mess up with the controls and it ends up costing me awesomeness. I do like the controls, but sometimes I get frustrated.

I'm doing alright, though.

ChooChoo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4399-0342-2350
I thought I was bad (hadn't owned a Smash Bros. game in six years, and played 4 or 5 times since then), but I'm even worse than I expected. Do I qualify?

3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
I don't know If I'm good or not. I'd say 50 50.

I mean.. I'm good at 1v1 and For Glory in general but For Fun isn't my forte right now.

SupermanNKO

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4570-8405-1628
my biggest problem on line right now is not being able to find someone in the roster i am solid with and i know right off the back is my go to, i have gone from lil mac to dr. mario to bowser jr to duck hunt dog to ness to pikachu to pac-man to wii fit trainer and finally with wii fit trainer i am finally get a consistant number of wins so maybe i just grind with her for a while? idk but its frustrating that all my friends found who they can be solid with and i feel like im running around with my head cut off lol

no1butmenotu

Smash Cadet
I play the game pretty casually. After doing a lot of For Glory matches (Free for alls and 1vs1) I would say that I'm probably about average. My win rate is about 55% so far, however, I don't play the game all that much. Probably about 50 matches total played.

FightingPorygonTeam

Smash Apprentice
my biggest problem on line right now is not being able to find someone in the roster i am solid with and i know right off the back is my go to, i have gone from lil mac to dr. mario to bowser jr to duck hunt dog to ness to pikachu to pac-man to wii fit trainer and finally with wii fit trainer i am finally get a consistant number of wins so maybe i just grind with her for a while? idk but its frustrating that all my friends found who they can be solid with and i feel like im running around with my head cut off lol
I have a similar problem. My current mains are half the roster. :p

WhuTom

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0275-9000-8776
My rating is about 55% W/R. I lost my opening 6 games, won the next, like 12 and have had mini streaks of 3 wins, then 3 losses etc. and I've played about 80 games now.

It's really disheartening though. Amongst my IRL friends, me and three others are miles ahead of anybody at the game, in Melee and Brawl, and we're about even amongst ourselves. So we were convinced, before we realised/discovered there was a competitive smash scene, that we could hold our own against almost anybody. The first few days on SSB4 online have completely shattered that. I main Marth and even against his best match ups like Ike, I get annihilated by seemingly routine moves. It feels like being the biggest fish in a garden pond, then being thrown into the Pacific. Rapidly destroying my perception of my smash skills.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
My rating is about 55% W/R. I lost my opening 6 games, won the next, like 12 and have had mini streaks of 3 wins, then 3 losses etc. and I've played about 80 games now.

It's really disheartening though. Amongst my IRL friends, me and three others are miles ahead of anybody at the game, in Melee and Brawl, and we're about even amongst ourselves. So we were convinced, before we realised/discovered there was a competitive smash scene, that we could hold our own against almost anybody. The first few days on SSB4 online have completely shattered that. I main Marth and even against his best match ups like Ike, I get annihilated by seemingly routine moves. It feels like being the biggest fish in a garden pond, then being thrown into the Pacific. Rapidly destroying my perception of my smash skills.
"If you're the smartest person in the room, find another room."

It's good to have our perceptions shaken up every so often. It means we don't get complacement in our attempts to improve. We're always finding new ways to better ourselves and try out new things, y'know?

Last edited:

SagaTheMeow

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SagaTheNetwork
3DS FC
4399-1366-7597
I think my win ratio has already dropped to something like 39%
I am not sure how to express how i feel other than "i dont understand anything that is going on"

I get comboed to no end, spammed to the moon, i never manage to escape the edge campers and in general i just lose within a minute of the beginning with a sour taste in my mouth and without having learned anything at all.

I think this is the part that makes it a poor experience for me, that dieing twice in 50 seconds teaches you absolutely nothing.
You do one mistake, you get punished to death for it, the match is over, and you are in a different room

The experience is completely different to what i had by playing with my neighbours and friends and i can´t say i am enjoying it.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
Surprise! CPUs aren't comparable to real people.

If you get hung up on winning and losing you're going to suck forever.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
The experience is completely different to what i had by playing with my neighbours and friends and i can´t say i am enjoying it.
Kind of why I prefer to play against friends myself. I find that there's less emphasis on "serious competition" and it feels more so like a "friendly challenge" sort of vibe. That makes the game more enjoyable for me and in turn helps me improve alongside my fellow smashers.

It doesn't work for everybody, but that's how I get better. At the end of the day, as long as you're enjoying yourself, I'd say you're playing the game well.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
"If you're the smartest person in the room, find another room."
And not attempt to pass on knowledge? The ones in the room willing to listen could learn.

It's always bound to change. I can enjoy playing vs anyone, but friends allow me Miis are also nice to have a good time.

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
And not attempt to pass on knowledge? The ones in the room willing to listen could learn.
That goes without saying. But at a certain point, people will have learned all they are going to get from you, and they must be ready to learn for themselves. Then you go to another room to tell the other people out there the same knowledge as before. Holding hands doesn't achieve anything for either party.

If you want to improve in anything, philosophy and Smash included, you have to be willing and able to not only accept the advice of others, but also earn your own victories. The teacher is only as good as the pupil, and when the pupil has attained all that they can by just listening and reiterating what they're been told, then it's time for the teacher to go elsewhere. It's just as much for the teacher's benefit as well: the moment you decide you've learned everything you can and that all you can do is teach, you've already forsaken your chance at improving from then on. We can never, ever stop improving, no matter how good we are.

Silverfox117

Smash Apprentice
I feel like I am pretty good considering how I have an 80 percent win rate out of 400 games i have played. Also I always search for better players. When I beat someone bad I just leave the room, so I feel like I got an accurate reading on how good I am. From a few awesome Rosalina players I also figured how to beat Rosalina as Robin who is a hard counter to him/her.

Da_Silver98

Smash Rookie
NNID
leafsfan98
3DS FC
3437-3194-6404
I never really considered myself good before playing for glory, sure i beat my friends but that doesn't mean much. I too have a win rate at around 60%, although at first i would test out random characters online and get my a** beat :laugh:. I have an 80% win rate for last 100, so i'm happy with it.

ThaPhantom07

Smash Cadet
NNID
ThaPhantom07
I am doing pretty well but hesitant to play because of all the input lag. I dont wanna lose and blame that but when I do it feels like I was fighting the lag more than my opponent so I haven't done too much for glory.

DavidLowell

Smash Cadet
NNID
PharaohLowell
3DS FC
0318-8056-1329
It's strange because I'm naturally good in the other Smash Bros. titles, even Brawl, but this one.. it feels awkward and unrewarding. I'm seriously thinking about dropping it.
My For Glory win ratio is 73% overall out of the 150 matches I've played One-on-One.

I'm solid in Smash 64, Melee (competitively) and Brawl but this one just doesn't feel the same for me. I just dislike it. I love the concept of a pocket Smash, only if it didn't still favor defensive play..

The controls gimp me a lot and I feel like my movement options are crippled. I don't want the game to play me, I want to play the game. But I digress, I'll just stick to Melee where I'm rewarded for how I want to play.
Sucks because me and some friends are building up a Smash Bros. club in the college library. Guess I'll be the one on Melee and Smash 64 constantly since I can't enjoy this game casually and competitively.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
I have fought a total of 332 battles and currently have a win rate of 73.19% and it usually stays in the range of 70%. However, I do not consider myself good at the game despite having far more wins than losses, as I struggle against people who actually know what they're doing, via local play at tournaments or the people I add on my friend codes. Most of the people who play on For Glory are just really ad and overuse dash attacks, ledge attacks, and other stuff. I don't feel I am very good because:

• I struggle to kill most people and get KOs with almost all characters I play
  • I have difficulty ledge guarding or stopping people who recover low
  • FG only allows Final Destination and Omega Stages, and I haven't gotten accustomed to using stages with platforms.
  • I tend to mix up options quite a lot and choose the wrong attack in certain scenarios, as I am not aware of my options against a certain character, or the options they have against me.
  • I tend to throw out the same move 5 times in a row and get predictable, throwing out raw smashes without reading my opponents.
Basically, I don't feel that I am this good, but instead feel that my opponents are just that bad. If I was, I wouldn't lose so brutally against the people I play at tournaments or almost everyone I add in friend codes. It still feels good sometimes to beat somebody bad, since even though I learn little from playing them, at least it shows I am better than they are and am likely at least remotely competent.

adamlon1

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3583-0365-0217
I hear you I thought my fox was decent but then I faced a Zero Suit Samus player and got ***** right after that I tried my Zelda and I also got ***** I gave up and used Sonic and I was just an inch away from defeating him but I lost and then I used rosalina and then I won but still I need help alot of help I need to fix my Fox and Zelda and practice more with all of my mains.

Archimedes

The Rad Simisear
Switch FC
7772-6031-3529
I was doing great for my first 100 afterwords everyone all of a sudden got so much better so im back at 50+%

Still winning a good amount though.

Drascin

Smash Journeyman
Yep. I'd been away from Smash for most of the Brawl years, and I've come back to find out I can barely play anymore. I remember being good with Jiggs back in Melee, but now I whiff Bairs like they gave out candy for it, damn it. Doesn't help I can't tilt for **** on the 3DS - if I had an euro for every time I Dsmash when trying to Dtilt with Samus, I'd have enough to buy a couple new copies of the game already.

And the problem is that I still beat everyone around my area easily, because it seems there are no actual decent Smashers in my area, so practicing without the horrible lag my connection gets is bloody hard.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
So upon further investigation, it's come to my attention that For Glory isn't for me.

Of course, I am now much more attuned towards and eager to play friendly / rival matches, and in that sense, I'm definitely willing and able to improve as I hoped I would be.

Last edited:
Top Bottom