• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "I thought I was good but I'm really not" Thread

Gentatsu-

Smash Rookie
NNID
JessJuxtaposed
3DS FC
2079-6864-4769
Hovering around 50% at around 150 matches. Finally finding my groove since the first 100 matches were me just spamming random characters. Now I play mostly Fox/Lucina and getting more consistent results. Will have to report back after I collect more data!

Thought I would be doing better, but all these Falcons are destroying me. It feels like after a few attacks, I'm already at 80% and a throw->knee combo away from death.

I do love finding really really good people that stomp me. I play them until they leave. To me, FG is training. I live to fight those awesome players.

Last edited:

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
As expected, I'm doing average. I've played about 300 for glory matches and I have a 55% win ratio.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I've always thought myself slightly better than I really am.. but I enjoy getting beaten down. It helps me refine my strategies.

Shen_Jehuty

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2423-3102-6095
I feel like the majority of the For Glory players I've faced are pretty equal to my skill level. If they stick around for multiple matches it usually goes win, lose, win, lose, win for me. Of course there are people that aren't that great that I can usually finish off in a couple of minutes or less, and then there are those freakin unofficial (or possibly official) pros that I can barely even touch. Fought two of those last night. Was fun, but pretty humiliating lol

sweq32

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sweq32
The first couple of days, I thought I was doing really good and was surprised by how well I seemed to be reading my opponents. However, now that people have had time to adapt, I've found that it's Brawl all over again, in which I am below average-average. Of course, I am not too beaten up about it. I knew it was only a matter of time before people would start learning their characters. As a guy who usually just rolls Random in For Glory, I'm just enjoying playing some rounds with amazing people. (which means no spammers, they aren't fun to face)

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Based on playing my friends, all of whom are high-level players, I'm good against some and still getting thrashed by others. Came dead last in every round against them, but I'm getting better every day.

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
After starting this thread and over numerous amounts of online matches against various skill types, I'm slowly but surely getting better and learning as I face both victory and defeat. Like other's have mentioned, fighting against players who are better than you are helps you to learn more advanced techniques and skills that are required to face off against some fierce and rather troublesome opponents. I'm taking what I've learned through my defeats and refining my play style with my mains who are mostly Robin and Lucina currently. I may not be as good as I thought I was but I'm gradually improving and that's the whole point. As Robin would say,
"Now that's strategy!" :4robinm:

Solarman

Smash Cadet
I was doing very well against the common :4littlemac: and:4bowser:. I tend to struggle with:4lucario: but am learning to deal with him. But he is nothing compared to :4sheik:. She is almost unbeatable for me. The only 1 of the 10 or so I've fought that I beat feel to Mac. I feel like she could very well be the new :4metaknight: she has speed, power, recovery and is hard to punish.

Sqweg

Smash Rookie
in for glory i've had games where i completely crush people regularly, i've only gotten bodied hard by one person, idk who he is but god his sheik was far superior to mine, learned alot from his play style

Molma

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3652-0643-3937
I haven't messed around in it too much, but I got 27 out of 40 just by getting used to the game (Muh Melee salt). I have mostly been running into the spammiest, most habitual players yet ._."

I also got a few funny replays, including a MK rage-quitting after I KOd him on 0 dmg using DDD

Last edited:

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
My current score is: 46 Battles, 36 Wins (Around 78%). I mainly use :4shulk: and alternate with either :4littlemac: or :4fox: lately.

I'll play on Glory again in the near future, I'd rather learn more about my characters and practice offline first.

Scoob

Smash Apprentice
Aside from the occasional laggy match, I've gotten pretty good players that I have good matches with. Save for some spammers, of course. I've made my policy to try 1-2 new characters a day and take them to For Glory. It's a fun challenge and it's helping me find that ever-elusive main. Online is pretty good in this game, but I wish there was a way to say GG.

RedbeardMetroid

Smash Rookie
I am absolutely awful at this game. It's my first Smash game. I remember when the N64 version came out and I just seemed to completely skip the series up until now.

My record right now is literally 14-104.

I am learning pretty quickly but it's very discouraging getting owned every time. I'm not necessarily worried about my record but I'd like to win every now and then. I'm still figuring everything out but it's going to take a LONG time for me to be halfway decent at this game. I joined these forums to try and find some sparring partners and to just get some more information about how to play this game.

Evello

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TinyTinyHippo
3DS FC
0473-7825-0053
I'm hovering around 50%. I was above it for a bit, then I got thrashed repeatedly today and dropped a little below. I expected to get beat online plenty, but I definitely underestimated the skill of the average For Glory player. I've played some absolutely vicious Sheiks and ZSS's, who made mincemeat of my Ike and Shulk. I have no problem getting beaten, since I've learned a lot already from some of my opponents, but I have to say the really close matches are a lot more fun. The difficulty of my opponents seems to vary a lot depending on what time I play, so I'm trying different times to find my best matches.

AttackstorM

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2122-8193-6919
Maybe pretending every single match is a grand finals match at an MLG championship might help your win ratio?

Randomain

Smash Rookie
I've been consistent at around 43% the entire time. (I'm now at ~400 matches)
I've definitely played some opponents for 10+ games and lost every one (and learned a lot). Some opponents were so good that the only thing I could do to keep from being murdered was dodge roll over and over. If I tried to attack, I'd get juggled around and killed.

I kinda expected to do better, but I've only really played with a few friends IRL... so in retrospect, I'm actually surprised I'm not doing worse.

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Well, I had a completely atrocious evening, it was like 11-32 or something godawful like that.

The 3DS version is really uncomfortable to play for long stretches of time, I was missing inputs like crazy as the night went on because my hands were getting tired. I'm going to have to limit myself to like 15 minutes a night to ensure top level play in every match. Nov 21st cannot possibly come fast enough.

Tsukihi Araragi

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3609-1966-0579
I lost 10 1v1 For Glory matches straight yesterday. Half of them were pretty close, that's the annoying part. And the day before I was totally owning.

Shen_Jehuty

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2423-3102-6095
Well, I had a completely atrocious evening, it was like 11-32 or something godawful like that.

The 3DS version is really uncomfortable to play for long stretches of time, I was missing inputs like crazy as the night went on because my hands were getting tired. I'm going to have to limit myself to like 15 minutes a night to ensure top level play in every match. Nov 21st cannot possibly come fast enough.
Sounds like my night last night. Between some extremely annoying spammers and trolls, and a coupe of very difficult, yet enjoyable opponents, I only won about a fourth of my matches. Life goes on though.

I'm counting down to Nov 21st with ya brother (or sister???)!!!!

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Sounds like my night last night. Between some extremely annoying spammers and trolls, and a coupe of very difficult, yet enjoyable opponents, I only won about a fourth of my matches. Life goes on though.

I'm counting down to Nov 21st with ya brother (or sister???)!!!!
I'm a guy. Also, I found the problem. I betrayed my true main from PM and Brawl, Random Select. I'm now 5-0 in the last 5.

Edit: make that 12-3. Tero's back baby!

Last edited:

LucidDreamGod

Smash Cadet
I tend to lose when the match lags as I lose patience and don't try very much. And that happens way too often and it might be from my end. At first I thought there was a lot of really decent people online, but now I just think I'm not that great, or I haven't found my main yet.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
As someone who hasn't fully delved into For Glory yet, I can say that my brief stints in there have been pretty good, actually. The only match I've lost so far is against a Little Mac player on Final Destination, and he only won because of a luckily timed counter.

It's For Fun that I've been having more trouble with, ironically. I think it has to do with the lag.

Xerneas

Smash Cadet
I mostly play For Fun, because For Glory is full of the same Macs and Bowsers over and over and it just gets boring. At first my win ratio was pretty good (to me) about 60% mainly using Ness and occasionally Dedede, Pac Man, and WFT, but after tonight it's down to around 35%. I constantly get grouped with Villagers, Zeldas, and Duck Hunts who run around avoiding fighting and just spamming their ranged attacks when they get the chance, and Macs, Marths, and Lucinas who spam their counters. It wouldn't be so annoying if it was 1 on 1, but when you have 2 other people trying to kill you while you're trying to deal with a spammer it's just not fun. Team battles are even worse because I always get paired with a deadweight and am against annoying Macs and Lucinas

I'm glad there's lots to do solo and that Smash Run is really fun, because right now playing online is unbearable

noshadowkick

Smash Rookie
I played online for the first time this morning. Currently 1-12. I never thought I was good though so I guess I shouldn't be posting ;)

FightingPorygonTeam

Smash Apprentice
I am absolutely awful at this game. It's my first Smash game. I remember when the N64 version came out and I just seemed to completely skip the series up until now.

My record right now is literally 14-104.

I am learning pretty quickly but it's very discouraging getting owned every time. I'm not necessarily worried about my record but I'd like to win every now and then. I'm still figuring everything out but it's going to take a LONG time for me to be halfway decent at this game. I joined these forums to try and find some sparring partners and to just get some more information about how to play this game.
When you play against someone really good, what do you want the match to be like? Do you want the other to adapt his level?

Gabukin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gabukin
I've played 559 matchs online in For Glory, 425 win and 134 losses so you'd naturally think I'm pretty good right?
Sadly I'm not. I'm really terrible. Whenever I get the chance to fight a really good player, I tend to get bodied so badly which demoralizes me to the point where i'm like "alright its time to take a break." Like today for example I lost 7 matchs in a row to a Rosalina&Luma player as Robin..So after the match was done I left the room and immediately turned off my 3ds..Not outta rage but outta depression.

Cho

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0018-2392-8423
Guilty as charged!
Still iIhave the feeling I'm improving. My Win rate is ~35%
I think it could be a bit higher, as i tend not to leave, when my opponent crushes me - imo you can get alot out of these matches.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
I fear this might be me. I have about a 90% win rate 300+ matches (mostly losses to suicides. last 100 is 96%) but whenever I meet someone decent with a character I just don't know how to play I get bodied hard until I get used to it, usually takes a loss or two. Then I usually win (key word usually. Nothing arrogant like "I'd win if i knew what to do" just like 60-80%) but there's still so many characters I just don't know how to play at a competitive level I'd be willing to bet I'd get bodied in full 3 stock matches with varied characters.

I really need to find people who play wifi-uncommon characters to play. Gonna stalk character boards i think.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Meant to post here earlier but forgot :dizzy:

I've done pretty well in For Glory with a 50/40 record (W/L). My main trouble comes from Japanese players, but I've been able to power through them with patience.

RedbeardMetroid

Smash Rookie
When you play against someone really good, what do you want the match to be like? Do you want the other to adapt his level?
Sorry for the delayed response. I would rather continue playing against very good people. To be honest I'm not super concerned with my record. This is mainly practice for me before the Wii U version comes out.

I need to find my friend code (just got my 3DS the day Smash came out) and find some people here to spar with and get some tips from. I'd like to find some people who can chat on Skype or something while playing but I will make a thread or something later.

I am getting better but it's a long long process. This is my first fighting game and my first Smash game so even holding my own in like 50% of my matches is impressive to me.

I get need to settle with a main and stick with them. I'm leaning towards Greninja or Sheik. Not sure yet which is easier for beginners.

Platsy

Smash Mouth
NNID
Cyani-Oxide
I'm terrible 1v1, but do good in team battles, at least. My atrocious reaction time is at fault for that.

FightingPorygonTeam

Smash Apprentice
Sorry for the delayed response. I would rather continue playing against very good people. To be honest I'm not super concerned with my record. This is mainly practice for me before the Wii U version comes out.

I need to find my friend code (just got my 3DS the day Smash came out) and find some people here to spar with and get some tips from. I'd like to find some people who can chat on Skype or something while playing but I will make a thread or something later.

I am getting better but it's a long long process. This is my first fighting game and my first Smash game so even holding my own in like 50% of my matches is impressive to me.

I get need to settle with a main and stick with them. I'm leaning towards Greninja or Sheik. Not sure yet which is easier for beginners.
You could just try both of them for a while until you notice one of them feels better to play as. I think Greninja is slightly easier for beginners, but it depends a lot on your playstyle.

Keep on playing, you'll get better at smash. (but that's not even half as important as enjoying the game of course).

Drowzee64

Smash Cadet
NNID
drowzee64
3DS FC
2895-6543-6932
My rate was around 40% last time I checked. I've always known I'm not good, but I'm still disappointed.

I wonder if I should try out Greninja online.

RedbeardMetroid

Smash Rookie
You could just try both of them for a while until you notice one of them feels better to play as. I think Greninja is slightly easier for beginners, but it depends a lot on your playstyle.

Keep on playing, you'll get better at smash. (but that's not even half as important as enjoying the game of course).
I think that this is a good perspective. I'm having a fun time even though I am pretty awful. I also think Greninja is probably a bit better than Sheik for beginners. I'm going to post my friend code when I get back from work. Maybe some of us in this thread can spar.

Totally Casual

Smash Cadet
Yep, too many wins against Lvl. 7 CPU + no humans to practice against = < 25% win rate in For Glory

mahkan

Smash Cadet
So far I've been doing terribly in For Glory, but part of the problem is that I'm not totally sure on which character I want to main as.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
I am really bad at this game, Every-time i play the game i do everything the same. I'm like a CPU.

Top Bottom