• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Hero's Bow and You

Triforce of Love

Smash Cadet
Lets discuss all of the crafty ways your Links like to use the hero's bow. I think that there is definitely a lot of potential to use this fine piece of yew in really creative ways to inflict maximum swag on your opponent. Among the projectiles, there are a lot of mechanical differences between this and the bomb or boomerang. How do you guys use it? Where do you guys think it could be used effectively/ with the most disrespect possible?

SAUS

Smash Ace
I accidentally jab reset someone with it once (in tournament too lol), but there was no awesome punish and I doubt you could do it on reaction.

As for using it, I find it is nice because it goes on its own after you shoot it. It is hard to find a place to shoot the arrow, but once it's in the air, you can follow it up with some more projectiles or something. I usually find jumping to a platform and shooting it is a nice way to use it.

Thor

Smash Champion
If I hit a Jigglypuff way out who held down (generally via spin attacking one that fsmashed my shield or something, which is usually only good on Fountain at percents where dthrow dair might not KO, or in the also somewhat rare case that I catch them landing with fsmash or combo it from the bomb/rang), I'll look to snipe them with the bow for free percent, since a full charge does like 18% or something (the other projectiles do less damage and give her free height to help rising pound, while the bow gives her almost no extra height uncharged and does 18% charged).

I'll try to gimp Ness with it too, although I also try to use bombs and the rang for that, which are often more reliable (or can at least mess up his sweetspot attempts to where he'll sometimes eat a semi-spike from up+B and die).

If I see a Sheik charging needles way far away I'll very occasionally start charging bow, since InternetExplorer once mentioned in a video of him vs M2K [it was him rewatching it and discussing his play] that if Sheik fires the needles, your arrow will often eat right through the needles and still keep going, possibly hitting Sheik, and if you wait for a few needles you can release it. I think it's generally better to approach, but if the Sheik is releasing the needles right away a lot, this is an okayish option.

I don't usually try to gimp Falco with it, I might.

It can also be used to snipe ICs if they go for ledge instead of going high (similar to Puff), then you can do whatever when they have to squall hammer again.

Possibly can snipe Peach out of a very low float as well, but that very rarely happens, and you want to force her out of float as fast as possible (so she has to parasol sooner and has fewer mixups in terms of fallspeed), so it's often better to pull a bomb and throw it (if the rang is deployed) or (best option if you have your rang) throw a boomerang in the way [then pull the bomb and re-aim if the rang misses].

But yeah this move is pretty bad. When I play PM I use it more, but the range on this in Melee is just very low. I agree with SAUS that trying to use it from platforms is better, but... I think it's usually more efficient to try to edgeguard via other means.

It is an excellent move for trolling in friendlies because most people know it's bad (as you mentioned, the swag factor). But that's of course not really a practical use for in tournament.

Last edited:

Triforce of Love

Smash Cadet
I find that there are some small mechanical differences between the bow and the rang. It moves a lot slower so you can basically place it right of you and then move in while they are hit/ blocking. Im not the fastest smasher right now but a lot of times ill end up shooting a limp arrow directly behind me as i move away landing- into a forward smash

Corona

Smash Apprentice
Sniping an off stage opponent with an arrow is always hype, it wrecks havoc on vertical recovering characters if you hit. Disrupting a mindlessly double lasering/camping fox with an arrow is also very gratifying, but not very feasible admittedly. Also, while PS is changing forms, and you just so happen to be falling from a decent height, all the commotion hides you charging that arrow up pretty well as you fall and shoot it off upon landing. That said, with these being some of the best I can come up with, the arrow just isn't your best option.

Last edited:

HarryTheChin

Smash Ace
^ 1:00, 1:52 & 3:12 were instances of all good bow placements, IMO.

0:07, 3:44, 5:34 & 6:24 were all bad examples of when not to use the bow lol.

I try my best in implementing all of Link's moves into a set/match because I ultimately feel as if he can pull it off if played near perfectly.

P.S. completely unrelated to the thread but also note throughout that entire match my uses of air-dodge to get back onto the ledge. Super effective against opponents who do not expect it. :)

Bravo_10

Smash Apprentice
Stro taught me that it's possible to use the bow as a guaranteed roll chase when an opponent misses a tech from far away (if they were close, you'd just jab reset or down smash). Once you see the missed tech, just start charging the bow and react to their get up.

It's possible to use it as a straight-up tech chase, but you're going to have to read the tech if your opponent's character has better than a mediocre tech roll. Either way, landing a fully or close-to-fully charged arrow is decent damage, and it pops up nicely at high percents.

SYickX

Smash Cadet
Arrows stop turnips while in the ground, so sticking one on the ledge while recovering against Peach can both defend you from the turnip and give you the turnip. (You'll get an easy catch since it bounces right above the ledge.)

I got arrow>grab once. I've gotten the reset with it, but mostly edgeguards with weak arrows or fully charged on bad recoveries.

There are rare edgeguarding situations where I feel like a fully charged arrow gets there faster. It does insane hitstun, so if you can land it, it's an easy combo from half of BF or even farther.

I really like using the fully charged arrow as a bait. If Falcon or Marth tries to fair you while charging, you can hit their toes before getting hit yourself, then it's a DI trap for a dair or a hole bunch of uairs.
If you have a bomb, it disappears while charging, so once you play someone who knows how arrows work, you can bait them to go high, then you have a bomb in hand. That's a strong position and it will be hard to catch the bomb since most of it's fuse will be gone.

You can hit Marth while he edge stalls with arrows somewhat easily. It's not as dangerous as bombs, but it can change up the timing.

Fully charged arrow is guaranteed on Ganon when he has to up b to the ledge (from far away).

Once you land a single fca, your opponent will be super scared of 18% and 20 minutes of hitstun. Learn how they deal with it and react accordingly.

Hit dead people with arrows if it won't save them because it goes on the stale moves list to refresh spin for bomb jumping. (Bombs do NOT refresh stale moves.)

Top Bottom