• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Heavenly Scriptures:A Pit Q&A thread!

MuBa

Smash Lord
You should. I'm still trying to figure out what part of his run that triggers the distance.

I've tried holding the C-stick for longer and shorter periods of time but it looks like that's not the cause of it.

MuBa

Smash Lord
Sliding U-smash would be cancelling the dash attack into the Upsmash for a boosted distance. Seeing as how Pit doesn't have one (at least from what I've seen) I go into Hyphen Smashing, which is pretty much cancelling your run (not initial dash phase) into an Up Smash. Pit can slide when doing a Hyphen Smash but when performing it there are times where I end up sliding as far as 1/3rds of Smashville's distance and other not at all.

If I can find a way to know how to get the maximum slide distance for Pit's Hyphen smash then it would be awesome since it'll prevent him from being shield grabbed and go behind the opponent.

Ryanarius

Smash Journeyman
NxC said:
1a) Information
Pit always begins running with his right leg. This is to say he propels himself forward with his right leg, followed by his left taking the first 'step'.
His right foot, when it makes contact with the ground, produces a lower-pitched noise, whereas his left foot makes a higher pitched noise.
The above facts are true for any movement speed-walking, slow walking, or running.
1b) Applications

1) Up Smash

When performing a running up-smash, (sometimes called a H-smash), you may have noticed that Pit seems to slide a random distance. This sliding can encompass the attack itself or the charging of the up-smash. Sometimes Pit slides nowhere, where other times he can slide around 2.5 custom stage 'blocks'.

Upon investigation the sliding distance is far from random and is directly related to which foot Pit has on the ground.

If the up-smash is performed right after Pit's right foot makes contact with the ground (indicated by a lower 'foot' sound), you will maximize your sliding distance. As the frames go by further from that key moment right after his foot makes contact with the ground, the slide's distance shortens and shortens until his left foot makes contact with the ground. If the u-smash is used then, Pit does not slide at all, and will remain stationary for the duration of the attack.

Using this information, if you perform the up-smash as soon as the initial dash animation finishes, you will not slide, since Pit will be on his left foot. If you let him continue to run into his next pace, you will be able to consistently perform the maximum slide distance of Pit's H-Smash
from NxC pits right footed and left handed guide link

xflame

Smash Rookie
Question about Nair:

After reading through these forums a bit, I have seen many discussions about the Nair, but I can't seem to incorperate it into my game because in most situations, it appears that the Fair is a better option. What is the most effective way to use the move and what situations should it be used in?

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
N-air pressures the opponent's shield well.

A SH (Short Hop) N-air works really well against large heavy chars like DK, hoping they arent good at Shieldgrabs.

A way to apply this is to run towards your opponent and do the SH N-air. Some of the other Pits can tell you about it.

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
Question about Nair:

After reading through these forums a bit, I have seen many discussions about the Nair, but I can't seem to incorperate it into my game because in most situations, it appears that the Fair is a better option. What is the most effective way to use the move and what situations should it be used in?
DI its all about DI for this move, you Sh nair like ADM said, then DI away, or what if you do it right, you will land with no exta lag and it is a good move for racking up damage, alowing you to save your Fair for killing. Watch a few Vids from Kupo or Rogue and you'll see how they use it.

Coffee™

I need it....
Funny thing is, in most Pit vids, you don't see many Pits using the move often if at all. It's definitely a good move but i don't find myself using it much either lol.

xflame

Smash Rookie
ok, thanks for the tips. I watched some vids and the basic impression was that its a good pressure move to use and a nice change of pace, but that it should not be one of the more heavily used moves in pit's arsenal. would that be a pretty fair summary?

SonicBoom2

Smash Journeyman
Yup.
That sums it all up.
Pros:
-Pressure
-Defensive
-Decent Damage Racker
Cons:
-A little laggy if you can't finish it right
-Predictable if used a lot (well it goes for anything really)
-You NEED DI here

Is that good?

(Oh and for my question, how often will a Pit be using Arrow Looping and Wing Refreshing?)

FzeroX

Smash Journeyman
Hmm I really like PS1, which contridicts your CP

also Luigi's isnt a CP against pit nor CS, I could go into more detail now but am lazy

both YI are good CPs YIm is better but alot of tournies dont have it, also YIb isnt bad either. just less arrow loops.

so unless Peach has a huge unknown advantage on those stages I would only keep YIm and maybe YIb as viable CPs

AndrewCarlson

Smash Journeyman
What's the match-up ratio between Pit and Marth? I checked the Marth boards, and they say 60-40, maybe even 65-35 in Marth's favor. Do you guys agree with this? I find the Marth boards to be rather biased at times, though I'm a fellow Marth mainer.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Marth may have the range, but Pit still has his projectile and Mirror Shield against his recovery. Just keep it even so that Im happy.

Kyuubi9t

Smash Journeyman
marth has the slight advantage, im thinking because of killing power and that handy counter, which is great against pit's damage racking and pressure style.

Simple question: how come all of the good pits that i watch, kupo, rogue, undr, and even you admiral, use WOI right before grabbing the edge when they pretty much already have it in their hands???

xflame

Smash Rookie
i could be wrong but i think its to get a slight boost so they can guarenteed sweetspot the ledge cuz sometimes an extra jump would actually put you too high. But i could be wrong...

Apollo317

Smash Cadet
i could be wrong but i think its to get a slight boost so they can guarenteed sweetspot the ledge cuz sometimes an extra jump would actually put you too high. But i could be wrong...
That is correct, but it isn't because it gives you a boost. It stops your momentum. You can restore your invunurability (for edgehogging) by dropping, instantly jumping, and then instantly doing WoI. If your not already, get in the habit of doing this every time you grab the ledge. It's just really good.

AndrewCarlson

Smash Journeyman
Marth may have the range, but Pit still has his projectile and Mirror Shield against his recovery. Just keep it even so that Im happy.
According to the Marth boards, Marth not only has the range but he can easily dominate in close quarters battle. They claim that Pit has no safe KO moves against Marth because by approaching, Pit is instantly at a disadvantage.

Further question: Do Marth's attacks come out quicker than Pit's, or are they slightly slower? And in terms of aerial attacks, who do you think is superior?

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
marth has the slight advantage, im thinking because of killing power and that handy counter, which is great against pit's damage racking and pressure style.

Simple question: how come all of the good pits that i watch, kupo, rogue, undr, and even you admiral, use WOI right before grabbing the edge when they pretty much already have it in their hands???
Ya its the slight grab boost, and wind push to keep people back, it helps you keep your self safe.

According to the Marth boards, Marth not only has the range but he can easily dominate in close quarters battle. They claim that Pit has no safe KO moves against Marth because by approaching, Pit is instantly at a disadvantage.

Further question: Do Marth's attacks come out quicker than Pit's, or are they slightly slower? And in terms of aerial attacks, who do you think is superior?
Not quite sure on the exact #'s but if feels like either the same of slightly faster when I play, but dont quote me on this I dont know for sure.

AndrewCarlson

Smash Journeyman
In that case, would it be good for a Pit player to engage Marth in an aerial battle? I know that Marth has one of the best aerials in the game, but would Pit be able to outprioritize Marth in the air?

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
I would say and again im not quite the guy for this Marths **** me then point and laugh at me :(. For this fight Pit should try to keep a defensive mind (somthing I need to work on) Such as Pits amazing Sidestep to get in close to Marth, use Mirrior sheild > edge hog for the kill. Marth in the air is amazing and with a reach slightly farther the Pit so that if Pit tries to space himself he gets tippered :( I think it might be safer on the ground. Its easy for marth to know where to tipper if Pit charges in so I would say arrow and make marth approch and play a defensive ground game.

Kyuubi9t

Smash Journeyman

In that case, would it be good for a Pit player to engage Marth in an aerial battle? I know that Marth has one of the best aerials in the game, but would Pit be able to outprioritize Marth in the air?
marths aerials are all for sure faster than pit's, in respect with how fast they come out, with the exception of maybe pit's Nair and Uair. As far as the claim that as long as its close quarters pit is immediately at a disadvantage... well it may not be entirely true but it sure does feel that way! Well i believe marths aerials are far superior, in that they all can kill and cover his body up with the hit boxes way better. Not to mention their range.

I think the marth boards are right in their arguement about approaching marth, but they def. forgot to mention approaches off the board for edge guarding. Here, pit has the advantage... with a couple good options for killing and overall superior ability to maintain pressure, a pit's best bet is to get a marth off the stage and keep him there. Even if you cant kill the marth, you can dish out alot of damage while he tries to get back on his two feet repeatedly. As far as priority goes, i think marth has more, and his hitboxes are... "more disjointed" than pit's

Overall, i think that Pit engaging marth in the air is a better idea than on the ground. If you can draw out a missed attack from marth, be becomes open to attack. The glide attack can hit marth at angles that his aerials cannot defend against, and Pit's Uair will probably win against marths Dair if used correctly. Also keep arrows coming, arrow loops as well. WoI is an irreplacable tool in creating openings against marth, as mind games will play a huge part in this match up given that pits only real openings are a swing-and-a-miss from marth. So use that WoI, let marth try and cut your wings off... dodge and start the combo.

I give this match up 60-40 in favor of marth

AndrewCarlson

Smash Journeyman
I agree with 60-40 too. Just wanted to hear what the Pit boards had to say, as the Marth boards aren't really open to discussing Marth's weaknesses. Pit is definitely an excellent edge-guarder, one of the best in the game in my opinion. The ability to WoP Marth off the stage and gimp his recovery help keep the match from being too advantageous for Marth.

Another question if people do not mind, this one regarding one of the many Pit stereotypes. Is an experienced Pit really at risk of being gimped when recovering? Everyone always says that Pit is one of the easiest characters to gimp, to which I always reply dumbfounded. Why do people always neglect his 3 mid-air jumps and gliding ability? Even his Up-B can be used successfully to recover without worrying about an intercepting aerial attack or projectile (true in most cases).

Kyuubi9t

Smash Journeyman
yea whoever says Pit is one of the most gimpable characters is just plain WRONG. with what id like to call the most versatile recovery in the game, how is this accusation even possible???

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Hmm I really like PS1, which contridicts your CP

also Luigi's isnt a CP against pit nor CS, I could go into more detail now but am lazy

both YI are good CPs YIm is better but alot of tournies dont have it, also YIb isnt bad either. just less arrow loops.

so unless Peach has a huge unknown advantage on those stages I would only keep YIm and maybe YIb as viable CPs
I'd really prefer details as to why PS1 and Luigi's is good for Pit. They hurt his arrow game don't they?

And, besides Norfair, what other maps do Pits like?

AndrewCarlson

Smash Journeyman
Since other boards are discussing their character placements, just how is Pit doing in tournaments (both large and small)? Meta Knight and Snake may be the top contenders, but Marth, Wario, and Lucario have been doing very well. Since Pit is within this ranking, I was just wondering if he is also making a scene at tournaments.

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
I'd really prefer details as to why PS1 and Luigi's is good for Pit. They hurt his arrow game don't they?

And, besides Norfair, what other maps do Pits like?
Platforms, Pit is amazing if you know what you are doing with platforms. He can rack up damage so fast if they are above him. And we never said Ps1 was a great stage for Pit but a worse stage for most everyone else. where as what makes it so bad for them doesn't affect pit that much, yes they stop simple arrows but do you really expect that to be your main way of getting damage?

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Against Pit's arrows, the big thing isn't damage accumulation (that can be evaded), but how easily they can snipe Peach out of her float. This kills at least one of her best approaches, and overall is simply annoying.

PS1 offers some cover and some varied terrain to stop this.

FzeroX

Smash Journeyman
Pit is not all arrows and I am sure you know that.

Mansion offers some amazing tech chases with pit using dtilt and uptilt as well as nair. He can brickwall the bottom with nair too. his uair can reach through the middle setion and is a great threat to be above him on that level. also since mansion is huge it just help pit with is great recovery. (I actually do worse on mansion without the walls)

And PS1 offers amazing ledgecamping opportunities that **** peach, uair is too buff. as well as being able to ledgecamp well he can camp 3 of the 4 variations very well also, platforms mean nothing to me on the main stage only once has it hindered me.

I always take ppl to norfair, tehn if they ban it i either go fox on corneria or take the time to think about a good CP against them not for me

Nitrix

Smash Ace
Can Pit do anything against a smart ROB? I played one and got my but kicked :urg:. He made brave attempts to edgeguard me, and camped the ledge with projectiles when we has losing. Whenever I tried to face him on level ground, he just did a couple air-dodges and D-smashed. It seemed like ROB had all of the answers and my poor Pit was just out-classed.

Is there anything I can do to beat a campy ROB?

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Reflector, Arrows, at long range, and should you catch the Gyro, you can Glide toss to your liking. N-air works pretty nicely on a Rob, pray that he isnt using N-air.

The other Pits should be able to help out with this matchup.

Top Bottom