• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Hall of Fame - Squirtle Video Thread

dettadeus

Smash Lord
Vs:

Bowser

Captain Falcon

Charizard

King DeDeDe

Diddy Kong

Donkey Kong

Falco

Fox

Mr. Game & Watch

Ganondorf

Ike

Ivysaur

Jigglypuff

Link
Reflex vs Beorn (Link)

Lucario
Qraq vs Merln (Lucario)

Lucas

Luigi

Mario
Reflex vs DP (Mario)

Marth

Ness

Peach

Pikachu

Pit

R.O.B.

Sheik
Qraq vs GB (Sheik)

Snake

Sonic

Squirtle

Toon Link

Wario

Wolf

Zelda

Zero Suit Samus

Educational/Tutorial Videos:
Squirtle in the Neutral Position by TheReflexWonder

Feel free to post any videos you've got! I'mma be updating this with some of my videos soon.

Translucent

Smash Journeyman
Yay Squirtle videos! :)

I think toaster has some matches coming versus Marth soon.

Translucent

Smash Journeyman
WGS,you looked really solid in the beginning of the first game, you got like 50% on him before you got touched. You also had some solid Side-b usage for mobility, and extending combos. It seemed like he noticed that you started using withdraw a lot, and started getting punished for it in the middle of the first game. If you didn't SD, you probably would have won, but I still SD a whole ton with Squirtle. :D

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
You play Squirtle too?

It seems like, like me, you also use Withdraw a lot, and he was able to take advantage of it to trick you into suiciding. I'd say you should be aware of that and be ready to get out of withdraw as soon as you can, so you can recover from it. Even using withdraw that much, you shouldn't be suiciding more than once every few games.

I really liked your use of Water gun. Once I get more experience playing squirtle, I can probably offer better advice.

I'll have videos of my pink squirtle on Friday, so then you can see that my Squirtle's worse than yours. Now that I think about it, I wonder if being pink means I can attract butterfree?

Master WGS

Smash Lord
I'm kinda testing everyone who feels good until I settle. So far Squirtle hasn't quite made the cut, but I go back to him every once in a while. Never a problem to have more characters you're comfortable with.

Translucent

Smash Journeyman
Lol, your audio is very out of synch Sethlon. I like your Squirtle, you knew your hydroplanes and his overall moveset pretty well. You could try and work on dodging Ness' neutral-b, but really a big deal. You had some good combos with Squirtle, and also I like how you tried to incorporate water gun into your play. First game ending was really close :D. I think a lot of the damage from Ness came from him landing PK fires on you then following up. Thanks for sharing the video.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Forgot to give warning that the audio is desynced, thanks for reminding me lol.

Thats actually Bwett manning the squirtle, not I. (Any of you guys who played brawl back in the day might remember Bwett as a really solid Yoshi player from dallas.)

traffic.

Smash Journeyman
Dettadeus: thanks for uploading some matches, i only play much against zss and falcon for the most part, so seeing how other moves trade is always nice.

I notice that your main method of transportation is pivoting, which is great for getting those quick moves out, but if you are stuck to the ground for too long your opponent will not have much trouble avoiding you and get some pretty easy reads. try working in more side to side work in the air, withdraw cancels can move you around quickly and you're better off landing a withdraw to open up than approaching with a gentleman or trying for the 2% pivot chip.

I'm not sure if they're intentional, but i notice you throw out a lot of grabs while you and your opponent are in close quarters and neither of you are shielding or landing hits. grabs are free when your opponent shields in front of you, squirtle's boost grab especially can nab up a nearby shield for an easy dthrow or uthrow > fair. otherwise you are open to a lot of punishment when you miss those grabs, and are better off retreating if you do miss a grab and get away with it.

lastly, i saw a lot of up-bs that were either way above the ledge, or just kinda out there. HUGE punish zone if you miss, and a dangerous way to recover against anyone who can spike you out of it. the freefall afterwards means you really want to be in the clear if you dont land that last hit. however, awesome job for using it on those rogue vertical tech chases, i've been running 99 stocks with a buddy who plays zss and have had some janky fun with uthrow > uair > up-b combos and it is totally rewarding to send them out the ceiling with it. just worth noting that it's a very high risk move to use any time you dont have to, and while it can be great for getting back on stage when certain characters are guarding the edge, it almost always spells free stock when it doesnt hit the opponent.

Translucent

Smash Journeyman
There really isn't a "best squirtle player." This thread hasn't had new videos in a while, so we just have the ones in here unless you can find other videos on streams.

traffic.

Smash Journeyman
Who's one of the best Squirtle players atm, or the best at demonstrating the characters abilities? :)
Currently, there are not many squirtle players at all producing videos. He has a really high learning curve, and I'm presuming most high level players who are working with him aren't happy with him yet to start unveiling. I'm trying to get a recording setup going in the next week or two (it's kept sliding down my priority list with life stuff getting in the way) but I'll be putting together some footage as soon as i can to show off a little turtle power. he's got a tonne of janks, but i think it will still be a while before more squirtles hit the tournament scene.

Translucent

Smash Journeyman
Awesome, thank you so much Traffic. I haven't seen Dettadeus in a while. Hopefully he could put these in the OP soon.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
mostly been up in the g&w boards and my art thread around SWF at least

updatin'

use bubble to edgeguard ROB, it'll work 8x better than what you were doing
heck, even water gun would work better because he still loses his boosts if he gets hit by water gun at all

edit: omf you can quote and then copy the embedded text and it copies the link with it

omfffff

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Here's one of Rat from this past weekend--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEo2ULMVFbY

And, consequently, my critique.

Your use of Forward-B from a distance makes me want to cringe. Each one of those attempts should be easily stuffed by a tilt, N-Air/F-Air (depending on the character), or pivot grab, and you were putting yourself in bad positions by using it as a fairly-obvious combo starter. Try to limit its use to misdirection, because it's not safe or worth the risk otherwise. For all it's worth, you make smart use of Aqua Jet as a finisher, and that's something you don't see often. Keep that up.

You need to make better use of your grounded pokes. Approaching with a fastfalled aerial will get you beaten out by most U-Tilts or aerials if you're the slightly bit predictable.

You try to use Down-B to gimp people too often. It's good, but the slower start-up means that you have less time to react to recoveries with it. While you did it sometimes, I would advocate making more use of N-Air as a gimping tool, especially in the case of fighting a recovery as quick as G&W's.

The biggest thing would be to upgrade your approach game. People will eventually understand the weaknesses of his individual moves, so you have to make use of your great number of movement options and attacks to get in and do work. I see potential, but some basics need to be worked on.

Rat

Smash Lord
Cool thanks reflex! Sorry to make you cringe with sideB use. I will try to stop using it at stupid ranges. You need to understand I really really like that move.

Must practice basic movement and approaches - gotta do the squirtle squad justice!

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
At the very least, try to Aqua Jet over an opponent onto a platform and have your landing edge-canceled so you can go into a closer Forward-B or landing aerial. It has its place, but, don't just charge at the opponent from across the screen with it. :p

Edge-canceled Aqua Jet has a good amount of potential, I feel, both as a camping tool and for sneaky approaches.

traffic.

Smash Journeyman
It can switch an edgeguard situation around very quickly, and with special fall coming in afterwards it can be absolutely imperative to staying in the game. Withdraw is great when you can sneak it in as a punish, and as a tech chase, but it telegraphs like nothing else so once your opponent starts dtilting you it's pretty much jumping into a combo. When you're going for followup attacks, nair and fair are your strongest options, and they follow up with dtilt to gentleman quite nicely. after jab3 hits (especially when you're near a ledge) fsmash can either secure a kill since they are most likely horizontally DIing back towards you, or at the very least provide enough knockback to let you reset the stage to your liking. My go-to rapetrain is withdraw > nair > dtilt > gentleman > fsmash, or if god is willing, withdraw into as many withdraws as possible but it is a gamble since it is dependant on their teching.

his dair cant be crouch-cancelled so it is best to try and land it like a spacie shuffle, keep it low, and use it to open up utilts. utilt has pretty small KB so you can usually chain a few before switching to uairs (side-b also catches fastfallers quite nicely out of utilt), and its fast enough to let you run out and reset if you choose.

SH bubble is an excellent spacing tool, it is considerably more daunting to approach than water gun is, and will provide you with a TONNE of openings out of neutral game. with the momentum you can get coming out of a pivot into a jumping bubble you can stay at a fairly safe distance and punish any approaches. If you are trying to gimp a recovery, DROPZONE NAIR. you will destroy most incoming recoveries, and if it trades you go nowhere. it is fast, has crazy trajectory and you can interupt it whenever which makes it optimal over bubble's hella lag. bubble if you have a sure thing, but it's slow and people will try and wait it out.

with your grab game, dthrow is a beast, but it should be expected by most people playing against squirtle. if you are sliding towards the edge (SS > jc grab) f-throw is an awesome mix-up that will kill fairly low since most people will DI away for a dthrow, putting you in a very easy drop nair position.

Rat

Smash Lord
, but it telegraphs like nothing else so once your opponent starts dtilting you it's pretty much jumping into a combo.
Jump over their Dtilt.

. When you're going for followup attacks, nair and fair are your strongest options
Imo for followups, Withdraw and Aqua Jet > Nair/Fair. Depends on the starter though.

Try using water gun to approach, not to camp. Water Gun > Grab is pretty reliable (strict range though.)

traffic.

Smash Journeyman
not saying that dtilts break squirtle (i had marth's in my head when i used it at an example) just that it becomes an incredibly easy read when you approach with withdraw. i'm curious as to how you are doing any moves after aqua jet puts you into special fall though, unless you're talking about landing aqua jet AS a followup. i'm referring to after landing a withdraw, nair's trajectory will reset your opponent so that your dtilt and jab combo can connect afterwards, fair starts to knock them out of decent follow-up range after % racks up. i've had some decent success with water gun after landing a withdraw as well, their stun usually outlasts your lag as you can keep moving before the animation is entirely finished. i'll see what i can do to mix up approaching with it and share my results.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
All I have to say about that Nap v Rat match is that you cannot edgeguard G&W with anything but Dsmash. Bubble doesn't send him further than his UpB goes, and his rising hitbox will outrange all our aerials (except a really well-spaced bair). Dsmash will armor through the hitbox and pretty much all G&W mains, myself included, always aim our UpB just above the ledge, meaning Dsmash could suck it in.
Rat threw away like 4 or 5 stocks in that set by trying to go offstage to edgeguard G&W, which you generally cannot do.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Bones (Squirtle) vs. Wiseley/PB&J

There's a ton of matches so I play vs. a lot of characters. You might want to add a "Various" section.

I'll probably do way better once I start incorporating Water Gun and Bubble. You can see me randomly forcing Bubble into situations because I don't know how to use it yet. lol The last Squirtle match is around the 50 minute mark.

Translucent

Smash Journeyman
Wow Reflex, your footstool on yoshis in the first video was so sick. I really need to incorporate them into my game.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
It's also worth noting that you can ground footstool someone out of their jump startup, so when Majora was footstooled onto the Whimsical Support Ghost, I could have (and should have) footstooled him again so he had no chance of coming back up.

Translucent

Smash Journeyman
I could definitely see myself using footstool in a situation like that but it is scary to just go for a footstool as an edge guard or in the middle of a combo. I also look forward to seeing more matches or your squirtle if you decide to use him in the future.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Well, there's no repercussions for attempting a footstool; if no one is in range, you won't do anything, so you can do a jump/aerial immediately afterward. If you're in range, you'll footstool them. If you're not, you'll do your other option. Basically no risk for a great reward/option select.

Bones0

Smash Legend
What's the default button for footstooling? I vaguely recall using a tag for Demo 1 so I could footstool with X and jump with Y, but I never really used it.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Up-Taunt is the footstool command when you're in the air. I have my X set to footstool for that purpose.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Here are a couple matches of me whipping out Squirtle against JC at one of his fests:
Bubba (Squirtle) vs JCaesar (Snake)
Bubba (Squirtle) vs JCaesar (Diddy)
Didn't know that Snake could CG Squirt at low %'s... :urg:
I just LOVE that w/d goes over bananas without a care in the world! :troll:

Edit: I think my 8-year old computer is bugging out on me. Is anyone else experiencing no sound on the vids I just posted? :confused:

Bones0

Smash Legend
Here are a couple matches of me whipping out Squirtle against JC at one of his fests:
Bubba (Squirtle) vs JCaesar (Snake)
Bubba (Squirtle) vs JCaesar (Diddy)
Didn't know that Snake could CG Squirt at low %'s... :urg:
I just LOVE that w/d goes over bananas without a care in the world! :troll:

Edit: I think my 8-year old computer is bugging out on me. Is anyone else experiencing no sound on the vids I just posted? :confused:
Pretty sure you can get out of Snake's CG by DIing on top of him and jumping or attacking. Pretty sure I would just rage constantly vs. Diddy if I couldn't w/d through bananas. LOL

I have sound on the vids though. I can go through and give you a critique when I get a chance if you'd like.

Bones0

Smash Legend
- Stay under him once you get him above you.
- I think edgeguarding Snake with bair is the best option. Whatever you want to do, I think hitting him with Water Gun (WG) is pretty useless. lol
- I like JCing my grab out of SSs because you cover so much more space with it.
- When someone CCs a dtilt, dsmash immediately after. Can also be good if they CC a utilt, but I usually just utilt again. lol
- OMG, the part where you WGed the grenade back at him was awesome. I might have to try that against projectiles in general to see what it messes with.
- You don't go for actual SS hits too often. Maybe just try mixing some in when you see an opportunity for it. I find it especially useful for KOing with usmash because you can hit confirm super easily, and that way you can stay really safe when fishing for a KO.
- You can blow up mines with WG.
- Don't jump around so much. If you want to jump, stick with SHs and try to fade away with your aerials most of the time.

- w/d vs. tech chases more often; one specific example was on your first stock and you just ftilted him completely losing any followups you could have had from a w/d hit.
- I would also recommend more w/ds after random hits. So like at one part, you did w/d -> bair, and then reset to neutral. I would have w/ded right back at him again. Squirtle has the ability to stay on top of people long after they are done being comfortable with his initial pressure.
- Edgeguard with Bubble more.

Top Bottom