• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The GtaN Brawl General discussion thread! -Wait, did the title change?

fUddO

Smash Ace
If Brawl is so noncompetitive, why hasn't it reached that point of degenerate play at the highest level yet? Only M2K plays that campy, and while he's probably the 2nd best player by a pretty huge margin, he's only one person. Brawl might have more defensive options than other fighters, but it is far from hopelessly campy.

Knowledge of any kind is an important part of competitive games. A win is no less earned or deserved if you beat someone with a strategy they haven't predicted or prepared for. The fact that there are matchups to learn and master has everything to do with competitiveness.

Actually, anything can be competitive, as long as it has a technical and/or intellectual scale that can be measured. Brawl has both, and as long as people find the game fun, there is reason to compete.

EDIT: I'm gonna see if I can get my Wifi working.

Patches

Smash Master
C-c-c-c-combo breaker.

Also. I'm all moved in to my new place, so I won't have internet for a while.

Secondly, with that being said. Anyone who wants to party/chill, c'mon down.

I'm looking at you, joe, darkshadow, hamilton and whitby.

Runawayfire

Smash Lord
I don't want to sound elitist in the slightest, but I wonder if you've ever actually played high level brawl competitively, against these very players you are quoting. Because I know from experience that I have won lots of money playing like a jerk, and have lost just as much to my opponent out-jerk maneuvering me. It may not appear degenerative yet, but in reality it degenerated a long time ago. I played at the top competitive level of our region since brawl's release, and traveled to many many tournaments.

In almost all of these matchups you speak of the best option is to play more like a defensive jerk. Hell that's all the top characters like MK, Snake and Falco do. Falco's best attribute is he can force the other person off of their long range defense, to which they respond with closing the gap so they can play close range defensive play. It's a sickening circle of reactionary play, and all the top characters revolve around exploiting it.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I'd do WiFi but my computer refuses to work with my Wii.
It's issues with Windows 7, so I'm kinda outta luck.

Also, I'm one of the like 6 gamers in the world who do not like Starcraft 2. Traditional fighters do not appeal to me. I pretty much just play Pokémon and Smash competitively.

In other news, I'm getting rid of a bunch of GBA games, make me an offer.

Mario vs. Donkey Kong
Golden Sun
Pokémon LeafGreen
Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts
F-Zero Maximum Velocity
Sonic Advance 2
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Red Rescue Team
Banjo-Kazooie Grunty's Revenge
Tales of Phantasia
Super Mario World Super Mario Advance 2
Legend of Zelda Link to the Past/Four Swords
Legend of Zelda The Minish Cap
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Donkey Kong Country 3
Pokémon Pinball Ruby & Sapphire

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I'm stuck using a Nintendo WFC connector. The application for it specifically refuses to fully install on Windows 7.

I want XP back. Actually screw that, I just want an actual router.

With any luck I'll have work within the next little while though, so whatever.

I need a break from Brawl anyways, I've been playing it almost exclusively for the past 3 months, aside from about a week where I played (and 100%'d) Super Paper Mario.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Apparently I've reached my dl limit on hotfile even though I don't use it 0.o
Anyways, 6 minute wait for the download.

*EDIT* Can anyone reccomend any wiiware titles? I've recently come across an archive of all of them.

Gichan

Smash Champion
Daayyuumm, Nate's posts are pretty damn good and a lot of you aren't thinking about it. I heard a lot of that from Mikey, KingAce, and Ambrose who all tell me the same **** of how they exploited Brawl's favouring of reflexes over thinking.

I always will agree that Brawl is bad competitvely, but fuucck it's such a fun ****ing game because it is indeed original and allows you such control of your character that isn't available in traditional fighters. And although camping is pretty much the best, or at least most effective, strategy it definitely stomps all approaches in brawl. Little to no shield stun and hit stun seriously hinder those who work on approaching while it becomes a deep mechanic in other fighters making one have to really work on being defensive rather than letting the game do most of the work for you.

Regardless, this debate is useless considering a lot of us stlll play it and won't stop even though some of us know it is bad. What keeps us here, at least for me, is the awesome scene and fun game.

But I also, sadly, play because of the low learning curve which allows me to still be decent at this game without putting too much time considering how much I work and all other responsibilities.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I'm currently thinking about picking up Guilty Gear, when it comes to other games. It looks so much fun, but it has an enormous techskill barrier, especially considering how much the one in Melee bothers me.

Gi, I thought about it. And honestly, I don't really care. Until Smash 4, it's my main competitive game. I like it about as much as I do Melee, but if I'm going to switch Smash games right now I'd switch solely to 64, which isn't an option really. I just like games with dynamic stages, what can I say? Melee with it's 6 stage stagelist isn't particularly appealing.

Cruxis

Smash Lord
i aint tellin u guys to play a different game, but anyone who has been playin brawl for a long time comes to realize just how stupid it really is.
its obvious that competition, and balance was not the focus of the game. and we are taking a game not made for competitive purposes, and forcing it into competitive purposes.

KillLock

Smash Lord
>implying sakura wasn't the only person balancing the brawl roster
>implying he didn't want snake and mk to be top tier because of mgs **** sucking

nope sounds sakura-balanced to me

Cruxis

Smash Lord
sakurai could have focused on balancing the game instead of adding stupid shit like subspace emissary or stickers or all the other extra crap in the game nobody cares about

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Sakurai did focus on balancing the game though. We just don't play the game he balanced it to.

Think of how relatively bad transcendent priority is when items are flying everywhere, how bad a terrible airspeed is for getting to a smashball, etc.

But w/e I don't really care.

And I for one liked SSE.

Mprime

Smash Ace
i aint tellin u guys to play a different game, but anyone who has been playin brawl for a long time comes to realize just how stupid it really is.
its obvious that competition, and balance was not the focus of the game. and we are taking a game not made for competitive purposes, and forcing it into competitive purposes.
as much as they did focus on making it non competitive, it will always remain impossible to remove the competition out of smash bros and brawl is my proof. it's like a drug, we just can't help it

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
Didn't Ally 3-0 M2K last weekend by rushing him the **** down in Meta Knight dittos? Not that I play Brawl anymore either (although I still actually respect it as a game), but just wondering given the talk about Brawl being too defensive.

Also curous; how old are you Nate? I went to (and won :p lol) my first SC tourney when I was 12 and am now 25... wondering who really has been around competitive gaming the longest... granted I didn't really do much of anything for a long time after that 1 tourney so I can't hope to claim more experience, but maybe an earlier beginning.

fUddO

Smash Ace
Didn't Ally 3-0 M2K last weekend by rushing him the **** down in Meta Knight dittos? Not that I play Brawl anymore either (although I still actually respect it as a game), but just wondering given the talk about Brawl being too defensive.
The general consensus is that Ally is a better player/M2K has Ally-johns.

swordgard

Smash Hero
dude thats like the best part

also what up to the minus
No, it isn't. Higher gravity=/= a better pace. Its actually much easier to punish landing with a high gravity and makes attacking the shield even less rewarding. Removing most landing lag would be a better thing.

-Googs

Smash Lord
The interview should be called "iliad talks about how salty he is about whitby and how he admits the whitby>hamilton"

I mean whitby was the main topic for pretty much 3/4 of the interview

Whitby's so good we have hamilton take our interviews for us.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Actually sg, come to think of it, a mod focusing solely on SSE would be pretty cool.

Also Ally was playing very defensively that match. It's just M2K kept trying to do stuff first and got ***** because of it. Though legit game 2 on Brinstar was pretty damn awesome to watch in person.

Cruxis

Smash Lord
The interview should be called "iliad talks about how salty he is about whitby and how he admits the whitby>hamilton"

I mean whitby was the main topic for pretty much 3/4 of the interview

Whitby's so good we have hamilton take our interviews for us.
whitby vs york crew battle next tourney

SRTM

Smash Ace
d3...

now THAT'S a game. i prolly spent more time playing d2 then i have playing brawl... people say d2 isnt that compettive but i found it wayyy harder than brawl and way more competetive.
+1. so pumped for d3. the beta supposedly comes out soon.

Top Bottom