• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Great Smash Census - SURVEY NOW LIVE!

GreatGonzales

Smash Apprentice
Hi everyone! I posted this in the Smash 4 forum, spreading the love to you 64 folks!

I have set up the Smash Census survey using google docs - thanks again to everyone who provided feedback on the survey questions. I did not incorporate everyone's ideas, but I used a lot of them and I think we will have some very interesting results to analyze.

To take the survey, please click the link below:

TAKE THE SMASH CENSUS SURVEY

Click here to view preliminary results

Once we have enough results, I will share the results summary page which is generated through google docs. It will look something like this:

[Note: Example only]

In addition, I will be doing a more detailed analysis with cross-tabs, and I will provide those results as well. That won't be until the response rate comes way down, however.

Stay tuned, the results should prove to be interesting! This will tell us a great deal about the population of Smashboards people.

Please let me know if there are any questions.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Ok I filled it out, but I was insulted by one of the questions.

Which smash game(s) do you want the new smash to most resemble?

The answers were lacking in the option Exactly Like 64

DMoogle

A$
Ok I filled it out, but I was insulted by one of the questions.

Which smash game(s) do you want the new smash to most resemble?

The answers were lacking in the option Exactly Like 64
Yeah, I noticed this as well. Should make some kind of triangle between the three games.

Also, I feel like there should've been some more questions regarding online play, and perhaps game modding. But that depends on what your goals are for this survey...

Battlecow

Play to Win
Yeah, needs an "Exactly like 64" Option.

Finishing this but keep in mind that my answer to that is off

Vale

Smash Ace
I like the preliminary results. 70% of people finish in the top 25%.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
ssb4 should just be 64 with directional air dodges (thus wavedashing), fastfalls during attacks, and no z-canceling. That would be the perfect game.

EggSelent

Smash Apprentice
I like the preliminary results. 70% of people finish in the top 25%.
This might actually be proper reporting, though of course skepticism is always warranted for stuff like this. There's definitely a response bias for the survey -- I think it's reasonable to assume that people with enough interest to peruse the Smash forums and find the survey may be more dedicated to playing and honing their skills. Also, there are a lot of tournaments run outside the scope of the forums (and without top players). For instance I'd be lucky to win a few rounds at a top tournament, but I've easily won some tournaments organized by university clubs or dorms. At those events you'll find players who don't know about teching or Z-cancelling and enter mainly for ****s and giggles.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
This might actually be proper reporting, though of course skepticism is always warranted for stuff like this. There's definitely a response bias for the survey -- I think it's reasonable to assume that people with enough interest to peruse the Smash forums and find the survey may be more dedicated to playing and honing their skills. Also, there are a lot of tournaments run outside the scope of the forums (and without top players). For instance I'd be lucky to win a few rounds at a top tournament, but I've easily won some tournaments organized by university clubs or dorms. At those events you'll find players who don't know about teching or Z-cancelling and enter mainly for ****s and giggles.

This a lot. I've entered several 64 tournies where everybody who enters is mostly a melee player that glanced at the ssb64 wiki and found the tier list. So all I ever face in those tournies are kirby users and I just win by screwing around with side characters like ness or link.

Vale

Smash Ace
ssb4 should just be 64 with directional air dodges (thus wavedashing), fastfalls during attacks, and no z-canceling. That would be the perfect game.

Side b moves though. And why no z-canceling (just wondering, I've seen debates over z/l-canceling before and haven't really picked a side).

clubbadubba

Smash Master
yea you right side-b moves for sure.

I just think its a superfluous input, which would make sense in certain games, most traditional 2D fighting games being a good example. However, in smash, where every movement is as simple as possible and requires no extra inputs, it seems a bit misplaced. Some people like the idea of having more tech skill I guess, which is why they like z-canceling. My counterpoint to that is to ask would those people then also support other superfluous inputs? Like having to press a button to grab the ledge? Or having to press 2 buttons instead of just 1 to attack? That's my view anyway.

And when I say no z-canceling, I mean that all moves should just have 0 landing lag by default

EggSelent

Smash Apprentice
Side b moves though. And why no z-canceling (just wondering, I've seen debates over z/l-canceling before and haven't really picked a side).

I think if Z-cancelling is part of the game, it should be made much more explicitly known. I got Smash 64 when it first came out and I didn't learn about z-cancelling for years. Granted, this was during the dial-up era and I was just a little kid, but I played the game enough to know about nearly everything else. It just seems like an entirely non-obvious part of the game, and somebody who knows about it has an unfair advantage over someone who doesn't.

The Star King

Smash Hero
If we somehow manage to have a Melee vs Brawl discussion on the 64 boards I will lol for days

GreatGonzales

Smash Apprentice
Yes, I see now that I should have formed some questions differently to allow folks to state a preference in SSB64 - my mistake and I apologize about that. It looks like about 11% of the smash population feel this way. It's too bad I didn't think of it when I was writing the questions! I have a melee bias, and I honestly never met anyone who preferred SSB64 most of all, so, out of sight out of mind.

Vale

Smash Ace
If we somehow manage to have a Melee vs Brawl discussion on the 64 boards I will lol for days
sounds fun let's do it

You're saying melee is the 3rd best installment? No way man
ya man. brawl is slow enough for people who want to play a slower game that allows for short strings to punish mistakes while you don't get punished too much for your own, making it heavily focused on continually keeping up spacing and prediction (of course, these are also very important factors in the other games) whereas 64 allows for people who want a mistake to lead to massive punishes and potentially death. melee is just kind of sitting in the middle there like "well, yeah you can do that if you have a great reaction time and can press 30 buttons a seconds and never make a mistake in which way they are going to DI".

clubbadubba

Smash Master
You just stated facts about each game and claimed that those facts make one game better than the other without any justification other than presumably those are your personal preferences. I will not be making Star King lol unless a legitimate discussion is going to happen.

Vale

Smash Ace
You just stated facts about each game and claimed that those facts make one game better than the other without any justification other than presumably those are your personal preferences. I will not be making Star King lol unless a legitimate discussion is going to happen.

yeah the whole debate is pointless because you can't really objectively define one game as better because the #1 way to rate a game is how much fun it is which is entirely subjective.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
yeah the whole debate is pointless because you can't really objectively define one game as better because the #1 way to rate a game is how much fun it is which is entirely subjective.

yea except 64 is the best though :)

clubbadubba

Smash Master
I'm so down for that. Lets add tons of hitstun, give kirby back that utilt and take out all this air dodge bull****

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
very cool to see that data but it should be taken with a grain of salt since the majority of the participants must be ssbb and ssbm players primarily

Vale

Smash Ace
I'm so down for that. Lets add tons of hitstun, give kirby back that utilt and take out all this air dodge bull****

instead of taking it out, air dodging makes you avoid the attack by instantly teleporting you below the bottom blastline. that would be totally practical, right?

i would totally play this if somebody decided to make it. be sure to call it project 64 for maximum confusion.

Top Bottom