• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Great Smash Census - SURVEY NOW LIVE!

GreatGonzales

Smash Apprentice
Hi everyone! I posted this in the Smash 4 forum, spreading the love to you Melee folks!

I have set up the Smash Census survey using google docs - thanks again to everyone who provided feedback on the survey questions. I did not incorporate everyone's ideas, but I used a lot of them and I think we will have some very interesting results to analyze.

To take the survey, please click the link below:

TAKE THE SMASH CENSUS SURVEY

Click here to view preliminary results

Once we have enough results, I will share the results summary page which is generated through google docs. It will look something like this:

[Note: Example only]

In addition, I will be doing a more detailed analysis with cross-tabs, and I will provide those results as well. That won't be until the response rate comes way down, however.

Stay tuned, the results should prove to be interesting! This will tell us a great deal about the population of Smashboards people.

Please let me know if there are any questions.

Handorin

Smash Hero
I've already done it, but I'm supporting the thread here. Don't disappoint, Melee!

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
I love this. People should mention this thread in the character specific boards so we can see which characters people main the most. On that note, would it be possible for someone to analyze each profile on Smashboards and come up with %'s of which characters are mained the most?

GreatGonzales

Smash Apprentice
I love this. People should mention this thread in the character specific boards so we can see which characters people main the most. On that note, would it be possible for someone to analyze each profile on Smashboards and come up with %'s of which characters are mained the most?
Glad you like it! I've already posted the thread 4 times, so I figure that's enough to have people see it. 300 responses now! :)

As for what characters are maimed most, I think we can already see that in the results page. Looks like it's Marth. But I will be doing some more detailed analysis later.

Fierce Deku

Smash Cadet
I can definitely see Marth as most common main. He's generally popular as a character, great at high level competition, but still easy to dominate with even at lower skill levels. You don't have to master a bunch of difficult techniques to make use of big fast powerful disjointed hitboxes.

Judging from the Munich smash scene, I would've expected it to be Falco. Like everybody here has a pocket Falco :D
Maybe Falco will win on the played-in-general list, even if he doesn't beat Marth as far as who people claim as their main.

Edit: Derp, forgot that the data so far was already available. Flaco still under Marth.

voorhese

Smash Master
"when you aren't playing serious matches what game mode do you prefer?"

custom answer; "what kind of casual do you take me for?"

stickmantankguy

Smash Rookie
When it comes to choosing a main, it must be below B tier, and at the same time it must be possible to do well with.
:samus2:
That's my take on it. I personally wouldn't find any enjoyment in playing a character like Marth or Shiek.
We need more low tiers in the game.

Handorin

Smash Hero
You can tell mostly newcomers answered. There are a ton of responses that have never been to a tournament.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
Marth is repping. Goes to show that many low level players like him a lot seeing how poor he is doing in higher level play these days. I like that the vast majority of Smashboard users are among the best in their local group. That said almost half of the voters don't have anyone to play with.

Fierce Deku

Smash Cadet
I like that the vast majority of Smashboard users are among the best in their local group. That said almost half of the voters don't have anyone to play with.
This is the case for me, I'm not that great but I'm one of the best in the immediate area cause there's barely anyone else who's into the competition scene. It seems like there's a lot of such people who have trouble breaking into the tournament scene like they'd want because of the low smasher density. Further indication as to the importance of local tourneys and smashfests.

swanized

Smash Cadet
wow so many casual players O___o.

51% melee players don't use wavedash and L-cancels???

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
wow so many casual players O___o.

51% melee players don't use wavedash and L-cancels???
That isn't how you do that math.

37% of players don't use either
43% Dont use L-Cancelling
45% Don't use Wavedashing

Considering this survey was posted in more Brawl communities than Melee communities I believe the number is actually okay. (Brawl introduced many new players who never tried to learn the technical aspects of Melee.)

Bones0

Smash Legend
I filled this out a while back. Hopefully when it's finished we'll be able to filter results. Like I'd be interested in viewing statistics only from people who say they play Melee a ridiculous amount. Having people that primarily play barlw influence the statistics really waters down their meaning (though still interesting ofc).

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
Nice! I have the same hope as Bones. I'd love to see character coverage/favorite stages amongst primarily competitive players. I know that there will be some inflation amongst the TopX% numbers because it covers a long time period and 15% of players could legitimately have been Top 10% at their peak, but 9% of Brawl players considered themselves Top 1%? Really? I also love the Melee-to-Brawl spectrum.

Yes I chose Mute City as my favorite stage. Though it was a hard choice.

Man look at all that Marth love. Assuming that Nintendo has access to the same data, I think we can expect Marth and/or Lucina as clone in Smash 4 for certain.

Top Bottom