• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Great Cave Offensive: Stage Research

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
The Great Cave Offensive is yet another absolutely gigantic stage, with some seriously rocking music to boot.

Previously Covered
Onett
Palutena's Temple
Yoshi's Island
Wily Castle
Gaur Plain
Pyrosphere
Temple
Mario Circuit (Brawl)
Boxing Ring
Port Town Aero Dive
Bridge of Eldin
Pilotwings
Jungle Hijinxs
Wrecking Crew
Halberd
Pokemon Stadium 2
Big Battlefield
Battlefield
Smashville
Lylat Cruise
Castle Siege
Town & City
Duck Hunt
Delfino Plaza
Kalos Pokemon League
Mario Galaxy
Coliseum
Gamer
Wii Fit Studio
Kongo Jungle 64
Windy Hill Zone
Luigi's Mansion
Norfair
Orbital Gate Assault
Woolly World
Skyloft
Garden of Hope
Mushroom Kingdom U
Wuhu Island
Mario Circuit

Layout
The Great Cave Offensive, as can be guessed from the name, is a labyrinthine mess of passages and tunnels, with no clear "main platform" or other such quaint features.

Based on the textures and background, the stage can be roughly divided into the Sub-Tree Area on the top, the Crystal Area in the lower right, the Old Tower in the bottom center, and the Garden Area in the lower left. It should surprise no one that these correspond to the actual areas in The Great Cave Offensive from Kirby Super Star.

Generally speaking, platforms that look like they should be pass-through are, and anything thicker than that is solid.

Players 1 and 2 start in the upper corners, in the Sub-Tree Area. Players 3 and 4 start in the lower corners, in the Crystal and Garden Areas. The Omega form floats over a void, but is also unusually big so that there's very little room between the bottom of the stage and the lower blast line.

The Great Cave Offensive has quite a few stage hazards and other features, although the stage itself is mercifully static.

The Great Cave Offensive. It's gorgeous to look at but oh my word it's huge. Bonus Game: Spot the Kirby!

Barrels
A pair of barrels exist, one at the bottom of the stage in the Old Tower and another in the Garden Area. These barrels are constantly spinning in a choppy manner reminiscent of old school sprite rotations. Pressing A while in a barrel will launch yourself in the current direction. Take care not to launch yourself into the blast line.

Kirby making use of the barrel in the Garden Area.

Chests
If items are enabled for the match, chests will occasionally spawn around the stage. Attacking one will release an item for use. However, sometimes a chest will explode instead for 15% damage. The explosion is slightly delayed, but the camera tends to be zoomed out so much that it's hard to tell if an item appeared or not until it's too late.

Chests will not appear if items are disabled, nor will they appear in Training Mode. Players who have attempted the "Kirby's Crazy Appetite" event are likely to hate these chests with a passion.

A tempting chest in the top center part of the stage, in the Sub-Tree Area. Will it hold an item, or will it explode? (Spoilers: It had an item.)

Mine Carts
Mine carts can spawn in one of two locations, on the left in the Garden Area or on the right in the Crystal Area. Once they spawn, they linger for 10 seconds before rolling forward, doing 10% damage to anyone in the way. They will begin to roll prematurely if someone jumps inside the cart. Players inside the cart can jump out at any time, which is in fact recommended since the left cart eventually crashes into a wall below some spikes, while the right cart rolls into the left blast line.

There is approximately 15 seconds between carts, which alternate between each side when spawning.

Kirby riding the mine cart that spawns on the right, in the Crystal Area. Isn't he adorable?

Danger Zones
The observant reader and player has no doubt noticed the red lava-like sections of wall scattered throughout the stage. These are known as Danger Zones and are exactly as dangerous as the name implies. On contact, they do 25% damage with powerful knockback perpendicular to the surface. If a character touches them when they have 100% damage or more at the time, they explode and lose a life on the spot.

The small torch-like object in the Old Tower is also a Danger Zone. So are the surfaces in the Garden Area despite looking visually different. In general, if it's red and glowing, it's a Danger Zone.

Related but distinct is a small set of spikes on the lower left wall in the Crystal Area. They do 10% damage on contact and do not cause death explosions.

Kirby explodes after touching a Danger Zone with 100% damage or more. This counts as a KO.

Summary
  • Barrels spin and launch players, be careful not to launch into the blast zone.
  • Chests sometimes have items, sometimes explode for 15% damage. Attack one and find out!
  • Mine carts do 10% damage if they run over someone, move prematurely if someone jumps in.
  • Danger Zones do 25% damage, instant death if someone has 100% damage or more at the time.

Last edited:

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
"Players who have attempted the "Kirby's Crazy Appetite" event are likely to hate these chests with a passion."

Yes. Yes they are. :mad:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
"Players who have attempted the "Kirby's Crazy Appetite" event are likely to hate these chests with a passion."

Yes. Yes they are. :mad:
Pro Tip: Copy Dedede's special and use that to eat the food instead of picking it up manually. Dedede's Inhale (but not Kirby's) increase the amount that food heals you.

Beat it on hard with 45 seconds to spare this way.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Pro Tip: Copy Dedede's special and use that to eat the food instead of picking it up manually. Dedede's Inhale (but not Kirby's) increase the amount that food heals you.

Beat it on hard with 45 seconds to spare this way.
That's... actually a really good idea and I'm embarrassed I didn't think of it. I've already beat the event on hard, though, and I'm not going back to get a better time on it.

This stage seems lime it would be a riot with 8 people and items involved. It's all about those danger zones.

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
I wish that, when playing on the Wii U gamepad or a 3DS, you could have the camera focused on yourself instead of the whole battle. This stage would be amazing if you could freaking see anything.

DEEK4Y

Smash Apprentice
I wish that, when playing on the Wii U gamepad or a 3DS, you could have the camera focused on yourself instead of the whole battle. This stage would be amazing if you could freaking see anything.
I have somewhat related camera angle problems for other stages.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
I think it's important to note that lava can be tech'd like any other wall or ceiling.

Doing this with the correct timing (ie not the late weird tech that the smash 4 engine permits) will negate the KO effect. I don't actually recall if you get damaged or not though, but you can survive past 100% if your reflexes are sharp.

PS : simply jumping into it will kill you, no tech possible.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I think it's important to note that lava can be tech'd like any other wall or ceiling.

Doing this with the correct timing (ie not the late weird tech that the smash 4 engine permits) will negate the KO effect. I don't actually recall if you get damaged or not though, but you can survive past 100% if your reflexes are sharp.

PS : simply jumping into it will kill you, no tech possible.
If you survive then I'd bet money you don't take damage.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
You probably don't but I don't like affirming something that I don't recall and that I currently can't check. Something about scientific method.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
You probably don't but I don't like affirming something that I don't recall and that I currently can't check. Something about scientific method.
True, and normally I'm all about the scientific method, but GCO is so far down on the list of "stages anyone is likely to care about" that my motivation is not what it usually is.
You don't take damage. however, the Danger Zones have delay between each hit so if you bounce back and forth between the floor and ceiling lava, you will get hurt every other bounce on lava around instakill %s.
That I do recall, I missed my tech once and bounced back into it like twice or three times in a row. Was kind of silly.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Well I'm not going to tell you to do a better job seeing the amount of work you already provided, but even the silliest stages require serious treatments.

Else how could I hope to become the master of random stage random char all item on max FFA ?

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Well I'm not going to tell you to do a better job seeing the amount of work you already provided, but even the silliest stages require serious treatments.

Else how could I hope to become the master of random stage random char all item on max FFA ?
Be Villager or Rosalina, abuse Pocket/Gravitational Pull, profit?

Alternately, be Ness, keep stealing the Smash Ball with PK Thunder, profit, then get banned from using Ness with Smash Balls on ever again. (This actually happened to me in Brawl.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom