• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

the good, the bad, and the ugly (stages of course!)

Condor

Smash Cadet
(I can't remeber all the stages but for the ones that i can think of right now or are just very memberable for good of bad reasons i will list, feel free to add what u like)

THE GOOD:

final destination

Battlefield

shadow moses

Bridge to Eldin

Delfino Plaza- one thing i don't like tho is the the bottom platform, if u are trying to jump to it from the side u go through it instead of catching the ledge. For example Falco's side B will make him go through it and then fall. but that being said it is great stage

Yoshi's Island

smashville

castle siege

Lyatt Cruise

THE BAD: (not necessarily horrible, just lacking something or needing something to be removed to be a good stage)

skyworld- needs to take away breakable platforms, i hate hitting them and after they break and come back u can't jump through them

Spear Pillar- Too interactive, i can't stand it when the controls go inverted. But i really like the stage set up

green hill zone

Summit

Mario circuit

Pirate Ship- Fun and unique with the incorporation of water instead of falling, but the spring board, Uneven ship platform, honing cannon balls and ship KOs are bad

Wario Ware stage

pokemon stadium 2- not nearly as good as the first one

Luigi's mansion- blocked by mansions breakable and unbreakable objects... fun tho

halberd

mushroomy kingdom

distant planet

Frigate Orpheon

THE UGLY: (Enough said)

75m

rumble falls

Mario Bros

Flat zone 2

New pork city

Pictochat

Hanenbow

norfair

Give me some feedback... Do u think im totally wrong, well let me know and if u give me good enough reason i'll change it, and let me know what u think of the levels i didn't mention so i can list them too

P.S. sorry i don't know the names of some of the levels, like i said i can't remeber them all right now

Lantz

Smash Apprentice
I would have to say Bridge of Eldin and Wind Waker to Bad, Lylat Cruise to Good, Game and Watch stage + Warioware stage to Ugly, and it's relatively all good (with the stages you have listed).

Andromeda

Smash Lord
Should Pirate Ship be a good stage? Where the cannons KO:ed my friend twice in the match we had the other day? >_> And where you can get spiked by the ship if you play a slow character and your opponent knows what he's doing? No, Pirate Ship isn't good. It's fun to play on, but it's not good. Like the beginning of Rainbow Cruise with random occasions.

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
I really have no clue what this thread is about...are the good stages tourney legal and that's why they're "good" (doubt that because Pirate Ship would never be legal, too many people whining about bombs)? I'm just kind of confused because it seems to be nothing but personal opinion, personally, I love all the stages you put in "Bad" except Lylat Cruise and Skyworld and I loathe Battlefield. I do have to agree with ugly...except I think I'm the only person in the world to actually enjoy Rumble Falls...

Anyway, nothing against the OP, but can you clear up what this thread is about please? Thanks.

Condor

Smash Cadet
well this thread is mostly about personal preference, but u have to back up why a stage is good or bad with sufficient reason. This thread has nothing to do with tournament legal, i just wantt to know what everyone else thinks about the the stages b/c there are just some stages that i can not stand!!! i really wonder what they were thinking when they made these stages.... but for the sake of not sounding so negative i also wanted to point out the good levels

I wasn't really thinking when i put pirate ship on the good list, it is fun but i will agree it deserves to go on bad list with the uneven ship platform, spring board, and cannon balls, thanks for pointing that out, but i will say it does a good job at incorporating the water. I think game and watch stage deserves the ugly also, but the only reason i didn't put Wario Ware on ugly is b/c its basic platform set up is nice and its a unique stage that u can interact with, but i will move it to ugly if enough people think it should b/c i honestly hate that stage. If enough people say that Bridge to Eldin should be on the bad then i will move it, but for now i think it should stay on the good b/c it is only slightly interuptive and i think most people like it b/c its simplistic and very large at the same time. And i will keep Lylat Cruise on the bad until more people disagree, b/c i believe battlefield does a better job.... BUT HEY this is totally subject to change, post what u think and if there is good reason and enough people think the same as u then it will change

Rash

Smash Ace
Your choices for bad are just...bad. Those stages are some of the most fun in the game. Everyone I play the game with loves those stages, except maybe Spear Pillar (if only for the screen reversal).

jsjolin260

Smash Rookie
I would have to move Summit to Ugly.

The fish plays too much of a role in everything. What is the point in being able to swim if the fish will eat you before you can even jump out of the water?!

Because of this, my paranoia always leave me having to sit on the top of the small platform, making the entire stage too small and cramped.

Final reasons: too much floating when descending, too much ice, too much going on.

Vicious Delicious

tetigit destruens
Switch FC
SW 0141 8170 9257
Hanenbow is not only a very dull stage but it also has plenty of unnecessary mindgames and inconveniences:

For one, the water: you can't swim in it! What's the point of putting water on if you can't swim in it?
Tree branches aren't solid either. Mindgames!
Too many factors in comboing with too many platforms, platform angles, and platform locations.
Hanenbow (the creatures) get in the way and are just annoying in general.
Larger than necessary
I understand it's an Electoplankton stage, but really, we need actual music! They could've at least made the sounds more exciting.

Phew. Complaining over.

Yoshi's Island is a good stage. It's balanced, the music is awesome, and it's one of the few stages that's fun to watch rather than play. When I say this, I'm not implying that the stage isn't fun in itself ;)
Support Ghost is awesome. Click below
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=159972

Smashville is also a good stage. See Yoshi's Island desctiption, save for SG praise.

Finally, New Pork City--even though it has awesome music--is an Ugly stage for obvious reasons if you've ever played on it.

Shadow Calibur

Smash Ace
Good:
Battlefield- Nice, balanced, and beautiful background.
Final Destination- See above.
Delfino Plaza- I always wanted a beach level. Looks awesome.
Luigi's Mansion- The fact that it can be destroyed and comes from one of my favorite Gamecube games is why it's in this part of the list.
Bridge of Eldin- Gives me a good opportunity to turn up that Wario Chopper and run over people.
Pirate Ship- I'm a fan of Wind Waker.
Lylat Cruise- Beautiful, balanced, AND a great soundtrack.
Castle Siege- It's 3 stages in one. Can't argue with that.
Halberd- I loved Kirby Super Star. I'm real glad they stuck the Halberd in there.
Corneria- Loved this stage in Melee because of its awesome music.
Rainbow Ride- Loved playing Super Mario 64.
Shadow Moses Island- Kojima did a good job with this stage- destructible towers and the Metal Gears playing around in the background. Nice soundtrack, too.
Green Hill Zone- Guess I'm one of those guys who likes the old Sonic games better. But Adventure and Adventure 2 weren't too bad.
Smashville- I like a stage that changes in real time. Nice track, too, especially "Go K.K. Rider!".
Frigate Orpheon- I'm a fan of the Metroid Prime series.
Yoshi's Island- It's got some snazzy seasonal changes, plus it's somewhat balanced.
Pokemon Stadium 2- I love the interactivity in this stage.

Bad:
Mushroomy Kingdom- Don't get me wrong, I love Super Mario Bros., but the underground level is a bit tough to survive in.
Rumble Falls- It scrolls. At least it isn't Icicle Mountain.
Distant Planet- It's a lovely stage- if it wouldn't be for that Bulborb that ate me every time I stepped on it.
WarioWare- Love playing the minigames. Needs more minigames, though.
Mario Circuit- Maybe I'm just not a fan of Mario Kart...
Onett- Love EarthBound, HATE the cars.
Skyworld- I like the fact that you can destroy this stage, but I don't like that you can get spiked through those clouds.
Yoshi's Island Melee- Nice stage, but those blocks are a real pain in the butt.
Temple- It's a big stage- pretty cool, except for the survival area at the bottom.
Brinstar- It's the rising acid that bothers me.
Port Town Aero Dive- I love F-Zero GX, but I don't like how lethal the racers are this time around.

Downright Ugly:
Mario Bros.- It's cramped and I keep getting attacked by crazy crabs and turtles.
75m- Not even my love for retro DK can quell my anger of the gigantic ape at the top and the scattered platforms.
New Pork City- Platforms are EVERYWHERE, the camera zooms out too much, and I have the Ultimate Chimera to worry about. Need I say more?
Flat Zone 2- I... hate... CHAIRS!!! Lion alone makes me hate this stage a lot.
PictoChat- Doodles are too random!
Hanenbow- It's a nice concept, but water you can't swim in? Why?
Norfair- Lava, lava everywhere. I think this stage just one-upped Brinstar in terms of lava.
Jungle Japes- Really, the new swimming mechanic doesn't help the fact that I get carried away and there's Klaptraps in the water.
Spear Pillar- I like Diamond and Pearl, but I don't like legendaries shooting beams, tilting the arena, and reversing my controls.
Pokemon Stadium- Why did they stick this one in when there's already another Pokemon Stadium?!?
Summit- The fish. That's all that needs to be said.
Big Blue- I hate it when I get knocked on the racetrack.
Green Greens- Why? Why not Fountain of Dreams?

Condor

Smash Cadet
Good:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Delfino Plaza
Luigi's Mansion
Bridge of Eldin
Pirate Ship
Lylat Cruise
Castle Siege
Halberd
Corneria
Rainbow Ride
Shadow Moses Island
Green Hill Zone
Smashville
Frigate Orpheon
Yoshi's Island

Bad:
Mushroomy Kingdom
Rumble Falls
Distant Planet
WarioWare
Mario Circuit
Onett
Yoshi's Island Melee
Pokemon Stadium 2
Temple
Brinstar
Distant Planet
Port Town Aero Dive

Downright Ugly:
Mario Bros.
75m
New Pork City
Flat Zone 2
PictoChat
Hanenbow
Norfair
Jungle Japes
Spear Pillar
Pokemon Stadium
Summit
Big Blue
Green Greens

hmm i agree with most of this list, but im only doing brawl stages for now, and its really hard remembering some of these stages b/c i haven't had my wii for over a week... long story. But anyway i updated my list just a little bit, and i will hopefully get my wii back soon so i can look at all the stages again and have every stage listed. obviously there are some differences in your list and mine so if u want to argue that a stage needs to be moved give me some reasons.... and of course not everyone is going to agree but if u feel one stage deserves better or worse let me know

Condor

Smash Cadet
I would have to move Summit to Ugly.

The fish plays too much of a role in everything. What is the point in being able to swim if the fish will eat you before you can even jump out of the water?!

Because of this, my paranoia always leave me having to sit on the top of the small platform, making the entire thing too small and cramped.

Final reasons: too much floating when descending, too much ice, too much going on.
very good reasons... and i don't have a big problem with moving to the ugly, but i think it deserves a litle more support from other people to tell me it really belongs in the ugly. B/c if your like me i really do not prefer this level at all! but it is slightly legit when u look at it as a small stage meant to have a little more interaction, i personally think it belongs in the ugly but i have a feeling people might flame me for it. So if everyone else could give me some more feedback on what they think of the summit plz let me know.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I agree with your general decisions, although I really couldn't put any stages in an "ugly" category, because I like some more than others, but I don't dislike any.

I think Good/Bad/Ugly was kind of a bad system to use, because it puts anything you wouldn't classify as the best in a category that makes it sound bad.

Overall, no huge gripes with your decisions on the stages, given the system.

Condor

Smash Cadet
Ya originally i wanted to talk about the stages i think are not very well done but i figured i should mention the good ones to not sound so negative. I guess The Bad isn't the best label for those stages, i just named it that b/c those stages could be so much better if something was added or taken away... sometimes i wonder what they were thinking when they created some stages (the ugly). The Bad category could be viewed as a neutral or decent category

Medic

Smash Cadet
I'd definitely move Lylat Cruise to 'good', as it's a very balanced stage, is beautiful, and gets points for being just downright cool. I've got some personal biases in favor of it, but I'd say overall it's an excellent stage.

Condor

Smash Cadet
I'd definitely move Lylat Cruise to 'good', as it's a very balanced stage, is beautiful, and gets points for being just downright cool. I've got some personal biases in favor of it, but I'd say overall it's an excellent stage.
alright, I think it might be my personal preference not to play there, but i will move it to the good list. THe background is awesome... i jsut seem to get lost in it, and im not a big fan of the close platforms. I think other players like this stage as well so i'll put it on the good list, but if other people post that they agree with me then i'll move it down

jesterlolz

Smash Rookie
Good - All neutrals and counterpicks

Ugly - Everything else (except hyrule)
I completely disagree. Thouh most of what are now considered the neutrals and counterpicks are really fun I wouldn't put them all in "Good" category. Not only that, but also some of the banned stages are really fun. I mean, sure Spear Pillar has those annoying pokemon attacks that will prevent it from ever being tourny-worthy, but its still a fun stage, and thats what this thread is about.

Same goes for WarioWare, the winner of that isn't always the best player, but its really just a fun stage to play around with when hanging out with friends.

To the OP, I agree with most of your things, but I'd move Spear Pillar and Rainbow Cruise to Bad, and Distant Planet to Good.

Greenpoe

Smash Ace
Luigi's mansion- This is a great stage! It encourages offensive tactics.

mushroomy kingdom-Definitely NOT a bad stage. IMO, it's a lot of fun like PokeFloats was.
Distant Planet,
Frigate Orpheon, Norfair-This is a wonderful stage! A few tricks to keep it interesting, but they won't hurt you if you know what you're doing.
rumble falls-This is actually a pretty decent stage for anti-camping.
Flat zone 2-It is MUCH better than the last! Definitely a fun stage.

Condor

Smash Cadet
Luigi's mansion- This is a great stage! It encourages offensive tactics.

mushroomy kingdom-Definitely NOT a bad stage. IMO, it's a lot of fun like PokeFloats was.
Distant Planet,
Frigate Orpheon, Norfair-This is a wonderful stage! A few tricks to keep it interesting, but they won't hurt you if you know what you're doing.
rumble falls-This is actually a pretty decent stage for anti-camping.
Flat zone 2-It is MUCH better than the last! Definitely a fun stage.
i dont think i can agree with one thing u said.... Luigi's mansion has some potential and if i get some good reasons i'll move it, but the other stages are only fun for a short while. When i think of rumble falls, flat zone 2, 75m, or any other ugly stages or even some of the bad stages i think of the wasted space it takes up and how this could have been replaced with better stages. I don't mind 2 maybe 3 unique stages to screw around on, but i don't want half of the stages that way!

Top Bottom