• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Isaac for DLC - One day. Some day. Golden Sunday.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
Not that Isaac appears to be hurting for supporters, but I am definitely on board with this one. Smash needs more new franchises represented and Golden Sun is certainly deserving!

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well, that's not what I meant. I thought you guys knew Isaac was in the top ten most wanted characters in NA, and the most requested in Europe, along with Professor Layton. :/
I'd presume it'd be fairly difficult to distill popularity down purely to European demand unless there was a Europe-centric place for Smash discussion...
(or you visited many different European sites where Smash is discussed)

I don't think how popular is the point it's that they are very popular across the world making them both have substantial chances to make it in.
Both of them appearing in the next Smash Bros. isn't an impossibility like a lot of people seem to think.
They can both be in the game it's not going to confuse anyone just because they both have blonde hair.
(Or whatever other reasons people may think)
I think it's not unimportant to define the extent of a character's popularity. Sure it doesn't need to be down to the exact ranking, but considering popularity has played a role in inclusions previously, it's worthwhile knowing where characters stand next to other viable candidates.

I do agree it's not impossible both Isaac and Shulk are included though.

Not that Isaac appears to be hurting for supporters, but I am definitely on board with this one. Smash needs more new franchises represented and Golden Sun is certainly deserving!
Always nice to have another Isaac supporter in our midst. ;)
And welcome to the site!

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I think it's not unimportant to define the extent of a character's popularity. Sure it doesn't need to be down to the exact ranking, but considering popularity has played a role in inclusions previously, it's worthwhile knowing where characters stand next to other viable candidates.
I totally agree but in some instances popularity doesn't matter and sometimes it does.
But the fact that characters like Isaac, Shulk, Takamaru, and King K Rool are popular around the world is even more reason to believe that they are in.
However there can only be so many characters and one of those 4 won't make it no matter how much support and uniqueness they have going for them.
Hopefully I'm totally wrong and all of them appear but if one of those had to be cut it would kill a huge fanbase.
Here's a thought if you had to pick 2 to appear from that list who would it be?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I thought I'd change the title once more to reflect our golden boy's recent success on the Wii U. :awesome:

I totally agree but in some instances popularity doesn't matter and sometimes it does.
But the fact that characters like Isaac, Shulk, Takamaru, and King K Rool are popular around the world is even more reason to believe that they are in.
However there can only be so many characters and one of those 4 won't make it no matter how much support and uniqueness they have going for them.
Hopefully I'm totally wrong and all of them appear but if one of those had to be cut it would kill a huge fanbase.
Ofc popularity doesn't dictate every inclusion, but it always has been and likely always will be a factor in at least some inclusions, so it's just beneficial to see how characters stack up.

And I think it's more than possible that a greater amount than just one of those characters doesn't make it, popularity or not.
I'd choose Isaac and Shulk, and considering you asked which two people would like to see in the Isaac thread, you're probably going to get pretty unanimous answers for one of the two. :smirk:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I thought I'd change the title once more to reflect our golden boy's recent success on the Wii U. :awesome:

Ofc popularity doesn't dictate every inclusion, but it always has been and likely always will be a factor in at least some inclusions, so it's just beneficial to see how characters stack up.

And I think it's more than possible that a greater amount than just one of those characters doesn't make it, popularity or not.
I'd choose Isaac and Shulk, and considering you asked which two people would like to see in the Isaac thread, you're probably going to get pretty unanimous answers for one of the two. :smirk:
Don't worry I was expecting that.;)
That's the reason I didn't ask for just one character.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I haven't heard anything about this, I guess the virtual console release is doing well in Japan?
Yeah, it's second on the charts, above Mario, Wario, F-Zero, and AW. And that's a lot better than I think most of us were expecting considering its recent decline in popularity over there.

Seems people still care. ;)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So the land of the rising sun likes Golden Sun to?

This is turning out to be extremely favorable for Isaac!

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
The title change is nice.

I saw the trailer they put up for it. It really is well made. The Karagol sea theme was quite spot on.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Just realised I haven't shown my support in this thread yet. Isaac is a character I supported for Brawl. My want for him waned a little after the AT reveal in Brawl, but I'm glad to see he's still in with a chance this time round.

Glad to see Golden Sun isn't as disliked as people have made out over in Japan.

Any news when it comes out on the VC for the EU region?

lurxy

Smash Cadet
NNID
lurxylux
Switch FC
SW 7645 5399 8874
Just realised I haven't shown my support in this thread yet. Isaac is a character I supported for Brawl. My want for him waned a little after the AT reveal in Brawl, but I'm glad to see he's still in with a chance this time round.

Glad to see Golden Sun isn't as disliked as people have made out over in Japan.

Any news when it comes out on the VC for the EU region?
As far as I am informed it comes out tomorrow. I'm really looking forward, because I only played DD a bit. But first off I have to finish Advance Wars ^^

I was pretty disappointed when he was confirmed as an AT back in the pre-Brawl time. Although I never played any Golden Sun before Brawl I always felt he would be a very fresh character with his elemental magic. I kind of hope he turns out to be the Last Airbender with hair :p

Arteen

Smash Lord
1) Isaac
2) Who cares? I got Isaac!

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
It could still be relevant if DLC characters are a thing and Isaac isn't in the roster, but that's not really worth worrying about until the 3DS version releases several months from now.

D

Deleted member

Not really. Even if Japan suddenly went goo goo for Isaac, at this point it's far too late for anything to be done about it.
Summer could just as easily refer to the end of august. There is more than enough time to add new characters at this point.

Also don't forget that brawl ended up being delayed, and it can just as easily happen again.

I also refuse to believe the Sal leak. I think he is just some guy who lucked out on a guess, and now he's milking it for all it's worth. His leak is more of a cold reading, where he has hit and misses and he tries to cover up his misses (pacman and mii) by saying "they are still on there way." A Pokemon from X/Y was expected by many, I personally thought it would either be Greninja, Noivern, or Aegislash, because they are overused and some of the most popular and powerful pokemon this gen. The rest of his so called leaks are again highly anticipated characters (of course he says Palutena now that there's a screenshot leak of her and everyone's expecting her), and Chorus men shows me this guy is really thinking outside the box and trying to hit another impossible read like wii fit trainer again, though unlike wft, I simply don't see Chorus men happening at all.

Isaac can still happen, just have faith, and don't believe everything you read on the internet.

FirstBlade

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, it's second on the charts, above Mario, Wario, F-Zero, and AW. And that's a lot better than I think most of us were expecting considering its recent decline in popularity over there.

Wait then what was ahead of it? Fusion? Interesting. People must be clamoring for new additions to these series (so am I). Golden Sun 4 for E3 please!

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
So the land of the rising sun likes Golden Sun to?

This is turning out to be extremely favorable for Isaac!
Yeah, if anything this helps us towards a GS4 instead of Isaac in Smash this time around, similar to what Sabrewulf said. Shame too, once again poor timing for Isaac. :(
But it at least proves Japan isn't done caring about GS as people claimed.

I like Isaac. So I support, I guess..?
Great?

As far as I am informed it comes out tomorrow. I'm really looking forward, because I only played DD a bit. But first off I have to finish Advance Wars ^^

I was pretty disappointed when he was confirmed as an AT back in the pre-Brawl time. Although I never played any Golden Sun before Brawl I always felt he would be a very fresh character with his elemental magic. I kind of hope he turns out to be the Last Airbender with hair :p
He'd probably focus on Earth more than the other three.

Summer could just as easily refer to the end of august. There is more than enough time to add new characters at this point.

Also don't forget that brawl ended up being delayed, and it can just as easily happen again.
I like your optimism, but a few months before release, even if the game doesn't touch down until August, is too late to be adding totally new characters. I mean Sonic was added a year before release and he was still a late addition, and he totally screwed up the development schedule.

Plus... no character will ever match Sonic again, and really there aren't any characters other than him I could see Sakurai delaying the game for, especially now with the possibility of DLC.

Wait then what was ahead of it? Fusion? Interesting. People must be clamoring for new additions to these series (so am I). Golden Sun 4 for E3 please!
It was actually Kirby & The Amazing Mirror. Which isn't that surprising considering Kirby is quite popular in Japan. I don't think Fusion has been released on the VC there yet (or at least it wasn't when GS was).

D

Deleted member

Wait are you telling me that brawl was delayed all for the sake of sonic the hedgehog?

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
So, it's selling surprisingly well? That's something Camelot should consider.

Yeah, if anything this helps us towards a GS4 instead of Isaac in Smash this time around, similar to what Sabrewulf said. Shame too, once again poor timing for Isaac. :(
But it at least proves Japan isn't done caring about GS as people claimed.
The gaps between release dates of both series could clearly be one of Isaac's biggest problems, ugh, I want another Golden Sun but no one knows if this will happen again, hopefully having four games will make worthy his (or Matthew's) inclusion for Sakurai if bad timing happens again (supposing he's not in).

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Wait are you telling me that brawl was delayed all for the sake of sonic the hedgehog?
No probably not solely, but I imagine it was likely a large contributing factor. Anything that big definitely throws off the development schedule.

M23-X0

Smash Journeyman
Hmm ? The thread name has changed to "Big in Japan". I thought that Isaac wasn't popular here, so why ?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Hmm ? The thread name has changed to "Big in Japan". I thought that Isaac wasn't popular here, so why ?

I haven't heard anything about this, I guess the virtual console release is doing well in Japan?

:grin:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Whilst the popularity of this re-release won't matter at this point, do consider that, even looking past the fact that Sakurai probably already knows of future Nintendo plans (as shown by Greninja getting in), Isaac still has a lot going for him.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The gaps between release dates of both series could clearly be one of Isaac's biggest problems, ugh, I want another Golden Sun but no one knows if this will happen again, hopefully having four games will make worthy his (or Matthew's) inclusion for Sakurai if bad timing happens again (supposing he's not in).
Well the bigger the series gets the harder it gets to ignore. Definitely~

Especially since each time we get a GS Isaac's popularity will shoot up again. Maybe for once it could happen when the roster is actually being compiled. :rolleyes::p

Whilst the popularity of this re-release won't matter at this point, do consider that, even looking past the fact that Sakurai probably already knows of future Nintendo plans (as shown by Greninja getting in), Isaac still has a lot going for him.
That's true, but even if there are now hypothetical plans for a GS4, back in 2012 when Sakurai likely finalized the roster Camelot was just finishing Tennis and moving on to Golf... so any plans past that might've been sketchy at best.

That said, I still think Isaac has a decent amount in his favour as well.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Well the bigger the series gets the harder it gets to ignore. Definitely~

Especially since each time we get a GS Isaac's popularity will shoot up again. Maybe for once it could happen when the roster is actually being compiled. :rolleyes::p

That's true, but even if there are now hypothetical plans for a GS4, back in 2012 when Sakurai likely finalized the roster Camelot was just finishing Tennis and moving on to Golf... so any plans past that might've been sketchy at best.

That said, I still think Isaac has a decent amount in his favour as well.
What about the VC re-releases? Would you believe that Sakurai could have known about them being planned back in 2012?

lurxy

Smash Cadet
NNID
lurxylux
Switch FC
SW 7645 5399 8874
He'd probably focus on Earth more than the other three.
I wouldn't be too sure about that. If he is the only Golden Sun character it would make more sense to represent the series as a whole, so with Isaac using all elements. I'm not completely sure about this, but if I remember it correctly, Isaac could use the other elements as well with the help of the Djinns, couldn't he?

If there will be another character like Garet or Jenna in SSB6, I see Isaac getting a completely earth based moveset but for SSB4/5 he would do better with an element moveset (Well, at least the special moves like recovery per wind, projectile per fire and something like a whip per water).

But that's just my humble opinion :>

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
What about the VC re-releases? Would you believe that Sakurai could have known about them being planned back in 2012?
Even if he did VC releases by themselves really mean very little in the grand scheme of things. :/
EDIT: In relevance to Smash that is.

I wouldn't be too sure about that. If he is the only Golden Sun character it would make more sense to represent the series as a whole, so with Isaac using all elements. I'm not completely sure about this, but if I remember it correctly, Isaac could use the other elements as well with the help of the Djinns, couldn't he?

If there will be another character like Garet or Jenna in SSB6, I see Isaac getting a completely earth based moveset but for SSB4/5 he would do better with an element moveset (Well, at least the special moves like recovery per wind, projectile per fire and something like a whip per water).

But that's just my humble opinion :>
Yes, Isaac can use all the elements, and I can't imagine he would have a moveset solely relegated to Venus (even Move is Mars), but I think Sakurai would probably go for a more accurate representation of the character over a more general portrait of the series - at the expense of Isaac's affinity to his element. That'd kind of be like giving Pikachu as many moves from other types as Electric. And sure, Pikachu does have attacks other than electric, and Isaac would have attacks other than Earth-based, but the primary focus of Pikachu's moveset is still electricity, as I believe Isaac's would be with earth.

But Ness primarily uses attacks he can't even learn in his game so who ****ing knows anymore, it's Sakurai. :laugh:

Last edited:

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
Okay, I thought the games weren't being released until April 17th.

Remember? Because I hyped everyone up for tomorrow's post. Crap. Maybe tomorrow is when it releases in Europe?

On Kc-MM, they just released a Golden Sun stage, based on a Lighthouse. It is AMAZING. IT opens up and cracks and everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNIe87T66PI

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
That is one sexy stage. If anything like that were to be on the Wii U version in all its graphical glory my eyes would melt. :p

At least P:M will probably have something like that when Isaac is added.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
GS rocking out in Japan apparently? That's lovely news!

I'm still quite hoping Isaac's there to be shown, since he survived the Direct Deoconfirm-geddon.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Golden Sun's unexpected success in Japan's Virtual Console market makes me happy. Though it isn't highly likely, I'm still waiting for the Blonde Venus Fighter's confirmation.​

Last edited:

Arteen

Smash Lord
Perhaps Golden Sun's popularity in Japan was never as low as we thought. We're hardly in the best position to gauge Japanese interest. I have enough trouble believing any statements about Western popularity rankings.

Either way, I hope Nintendo takes notice.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
Well, maybe tomorrow we'll hear about it from Sakurai. Tomorrow's more likely than any date in the future I'd say.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Having Isaac in Smash Brothers is very likely; however, getting Golden Sun 4 does not seem as likely (as of yet).

Isaac is one of those characters that is long overdue for a playable spot in Super Smash Brothers.

Kycse

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nin-Kycse
Well, since we may well end up sealing Isaac's fate in SSB4 tomorrow morning, i wanted to nerd out about him just a bit. I feel like he really is the whole package in terms of a character choice. He has what any character for smash needs, and that is...

-Interesting attacks for a move set
-Stage options
-Music Selection
-History

I could go on and on about what a cool move set for him would be but I'd rather wait and see what he gets (unless he isn't in :/).

As for stages, I can really see a lighthouse being a stage (Probably Jupiter). It could have lightning bolt hazards and gusts of wind (see Temple in SB64) or flaoting/moving Zol, etc. But, what i would really like to see is the Belinsk Opera House as a stage, complete with chandelier dragon hazard. I would love to see that in HD and seeing as how pushed that whole ordeal was back in its time, I could see that being a favorable choice in locale.

The music selection for Golden Sun is pretty good IMO with the biggest criticism probably being that many of the tracks sound very similar. Having said that, I think there are many songs that stand out above the rest. Obviously "Battle with Saturos" would be in, I believe its in all three games. Other inclusions could be Jenna's Theme, Belinsk/Opera House, Forest's Requiem (I imagine it remixed to be more fighter-y), etc.

And above all, Isaac has history. Having more than 1 game is a big deal. He has a bunch of content that can make for interesting items, Assist trophies (C'mon Dullahan/Alex) and Stage hazards. And it doesn't end there, I truly believe we'll be getting a new GS in 1-2 years so this could be a great way to hype him up. (Imagine a Wii U release, how cool would that be!?)

I just wanted to get all that out before tomorrow. Crossing my fingers for his inclusion, even if we don't see him tomorrow. I know I'll be re-buying Golden Sun just to show my support for the franchise!

Top Bottom