• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Isaac for DLC - One day. Some day. Golden Sunday.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Speaking of smash run, what mooks could the Golden Sun series contribute? Which are the most memorable/iconic?
I am surprised none of you mentioned the Vermin. That is literally the first enemy you encounter in Golden Sun. Personally, the Vermin is the very first thing I think of when others mention Golden Sun enemies.

Anyhow, aside from the Vermin, I think the Gryphons would make interesting enemies in Super Smash Bros. I would also say the Mimic, but since the Mimicutie from Kid Icarus: Uprising has been confirmed, I doubt it would happen.

Oh, and I just thought of an idea for a Golden Sun assist trophy... I think Alex would make an interesting Assist Trophy. He could do that geyser attack he uses on the Tobli soldiers at the beginning of Golden Sun: The Lost Age. If you get caught in said attack, consider it an instant Star KO.

Pacack said:
What do the ghosts from Golden Sun look like?
There are two ghost-like enemies that appear in the first two Golden Sun games: The Amaze (on the left) and the Ghost (on the right).

[EDIT] Darn it, I always hate when I end up starting a new page.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I am surprised none of you mentioned the Vermin. That is literally the first enemy you encounter in Golden Sun. Personally, the Vermin is the very first thing I think of when others mention Golden Sun enemies.

Anyhow, aside from the Vermin, I think the Gryphons would make interesting enemies in Super Smash Bros. I would also say the Mimic, but since the Mimicutie from Kid Icarus: Uprising has been confirmed, I doubt it would happen.

Oh, and I just thought of an idea for a Golden Sun assist trophy... I think Alex would make an interesting Assist Trophy. He could do that geyser attack he uses on the Tobli soldiers at the beginning of Golden Sun: The Lost Age. If you get caught in said attack, consider it an instant Star KO.

There are two ghost-like enemies that appear in the first two Golden Sun games: The Amaze (on the left) and the Ghost (on the right).

[EDIT] Darn it, I always hate when I end up starting a new page.
I really like the design for the Amaze. Don't know what it is about it, but it just looks appealing to me.

Arteen

Smash Lord
Tornado Lizards would be my top choice, followed by Living Statues. Both are plot relevant enemies and easily recognizable.

Accursed

Smash Journeyman
I can't believe no one remembered the slime monster. They're literally the most iconic RPG monster type.

Oddyesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Oddyesy
Hammer Bros was shown briefly as a smash run enemy, not officially but in the footage.

Speaking of smash run, what mooks could the Golden Sun series contribute? Which are the most memorable/iconic?

I'm thinking.....

Ghost, Punch Ant, Gargoyle, Mushroom, Tornado Lizard, Manticore, Will Head, Wood Walker, Golem, Living Statue and Star Magician.

are the most interesting possibilities. Who do you think would best represent Golden Sun and also be interesting to fight against? Which enemy would contribute well visually?
Maybe the Colosso warriors.

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
What we really need is a Golden Sun stage to really cement an unofficial confirmation.
Actually, we know that SSB4 have different stages depending in each version. If we see any Golden Sun stage in Wii U version that would confirm Isaac to me, after all any Golden Sun stage makes much more sense to be in the 3DS version. Thats the theory...

But i think that any other character of Golden Sun in a minor Role is more important.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
What about the trolls? :troll:

Seriously, Sakurai loves to troll the fans; it makes too much sense.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I am so on Team Isaac. He's one of my most anticipated characters. When I was Saki in the AT section of the Direct, I nearly had a heart attack, but he wasn't there!

Gives me even more hope. He'd make such an awesome addition to the series.

Accursed

Smash Journeyman
What about the trolls? :troll:

Seriously, Sakurai loves to troll the fans; it makes too much sense.
April 17, the Pic of the Day shows the troll monster from Golden Sun. A few days later, Sakurai shows off both Isaac and Matthew as ATs.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
The problem with the Vermin and Slime creatures, do they really stand out? Is a non Golden Sun fan going to say "Gee I'm really glad Golden Sun brought this to the table".

Edit: Actually I take back what I said about the Vermin, I was getting them mixed up with the other rat enemies. The Vermin look like good candidates. I still stand by what I said for the slime though.

Last edited:

Captain Toad

Smash Apprentice
April 17, the Pic of the Day shows the troll monster from Golden Sun. A few days later, Sakurai shows off both Isaac and Matthew as ATs.
^ This is basically what I'm almost expecting, though Mathew or Isaac instead of both as ATs, that would be too much. I'm hoping it's wrong, because I'm not sure if I'd laugh or cry first, probably a deranged mixture of the two hahaha.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

European/NA trailer. I like this because it further reinforces the fact that they are definitely trying to do something with the franchise as opposed to leaving it in the dust, not caring about it. Look at the quality of the trailer!

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Y'know what would really be something is if Isaac doesn't make the cut this time, we get GS4 after SSB4 releases, the demand for Isaac shoots right back up and dies down again by the time SSB5 comes around. :facepalm:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Speaking of GS4, what is the likelihood of a hypothetical Golden Sun 4 being confirmed at E3?
I'd say it'd be higher next year. I'd guess Camelot only just recently finished development on the Mario Golf for the 3DS, even if GS was their next project seems unlikely they'd announce it before also having something ready to show.

European/NA trailer. I like this because it further reinforces the fact that they are definitely trying to do something with the franchise as opposed to leaving it in the dust, not caring about it. Look at the quality of the trailer!
This doesn't make the wait any easier...
Especially since I don't even have a Wii U. :laugh:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Y'know what would really be something is if Isaac doesn't make the cut this time, we get GS4 after SSB4 releases, the demand for Isaac shoots right back up and dies down again by the time SSB5 comes around. :facepalm:
I figure if GS4 is critically acclaimed and reaches the same heights as the first two games, then demand for Isaac will probably stay strong consistently for a fair number of years afterwards. Sakurai will find it increasingly difficult to ignore the series.

Even if it doesn't quite blow everyone away it'll still have a fourth game under it's belt. Although if Matthew is the main protagonist again he might move closer to snatching the playable role from Isaac.

A part of me wonders if GS3 had stayed with young Isaac & co, would Isaac have a better chance than he does now?

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Well, wouldn't Matthew be the star of a hypothetical GS4? I imagine, if Isaac doesn't get in this time, that Matthew will start becoming highly requested instead.

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
Well, wouldn't Matthew be the star of a hypothetical GS4? I imagine, if Isaac doesn't get in this time, that Matthew will start becoming highly requested instead.
Actually, Matthew is not necessary at all for a 4th part, i dont have nothing specially against him, but 4th Golden Sun is most likely going to take place in the other part of Weyard, West sea. And unlike Matthew that he is in MT Aleph at the end of the game, other characters are already in west sea, with the possibility of other characters of unknown location being also in that sea. And new characters of that region. I wouldnt be surprise if Matthew is in the game, even being the protagonist. But just like Felix was main character of TLA, other character could replace Matthew aswell.

Last edited:

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
Quiz question: What game features abilities extremely similar to the psynergy attacks found in Golden Sun? Quiz question: It's also developed by Camelot games.

Arteen

Smash Lord
Mario Tennis: Power Tour?

I never played the Shining Force games, but I assume you're talking about those. Are they any good? I'm curious how they compare to the Golden Sun games.

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
Mario Tennis: Power Tour?

I never played the Shining Force games, but I assume you're talking about those. Are they any good? I'm curious how they compare to the Golden Sun games.
Actually, your first guess is correct Arteen! Some of the "power shots" used within the game are very similar to psynergy attacks found in the Golden Sun games (the dragon shot and hand-power save are two notable examples)

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Actually, Matthew is not necessary at all for a 4th part, i dont have nothing specially against him, but 4th Golden Sun is most likely going to take place in the other part of Weyard, West sea. And unlike Matthew that he is in MT Aleph at the end of the game, other characters are already in west sea, with the possibility of other characters of unknown location being also in that sea. And new characters of that region. I wouldnt be surprise if Matthew is in the game, even being the protagonist. But just like Felix was main character of TLA, other character could replace Matthew aswell.
I was under the impression that they confirmed that the first games were something of a "prologue" to Matthew's story...

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I was under the impression that they confirmed that the first games were something of a "prologue" to Matthew's story...
Yes, they did say that.

I haven't played Dark Dawn (or even completed the Lost Age), but I hear that the story ends with a cliffhanger, so it's probably pretty inevitable that Golden Sun 4 will be a continuation of Matthew's story.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The second part of "Matthew's story" can still involve a new protagonist as well, like Felix in GS2. That was still part of Isaac's story, and it's not like Matthew would be absent in the entirety of a GS4 even if he isn't the "main" or sole protagonist. I mean there were a lot of open ends in DD, I wouldn't be surprised if a new party in GS4 dealt with some of the more unexplained or vague elements of Weyard as it is now and/or the original characters who really were only mentioned in passing in DD.

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
Yes, they did say that.

I haven't played Dark Dawn (or even completed the Lost Age), but I hear that the story ends with a cliffhanger, so it's probably pretty inevitable that Golden Sun 4 will be a continuation of Matthew's story.
I do remember Golden Sun GBA was intended to be a "prologue" of a much bigger history, i dont remember if Matthew was involved at all, maybe, i cant find the interview at the moment.

Talking about others Camelot RPG, take a look at this:

Developed by Camelot, Soundtrack of Motoi Sakuraba (also composer of Golden Sun soundtrack), similar battle system prespective and graphical style.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I do remember Golden Sun GBA was intended to be a "prologue" of a much bigger history, i dont remember if Matthew was involved at all, maybe, i cant find the interview at the moment.

Talking about others Camelot RPG, take a look at this:

Developed by Camelot, Soundtrack of Motoi Sakuraba (also composer of Golden Sun soundtrack), similar battle system prespective and graphical style.
You could add similar characters to the list too. :p

Seriously, that's Isaac, Garet, Jenna and a Djinn right there, and Saturos in the background. :laugh:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I kinda find it annoying that the games always have cliffhangers. They're really tempting fate by stringing the storyline over such a long space of time.

Don't get me wrong more Golden Sun games is great, but there's a constant fear the story will be cut short with an unsatisfying conclusion.

Accursed

Smash Journeyman
On a completely unrelated note: I'd be fine if Isaac is confirmed for Smash 4, then is replaced by Matthew after GS4 is released.

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
On a completely unrelated note: I'd be fine if Isaac is confirmed for Smash 4, then is replaced by Matthew after GS4 is released.
Matthew could be an "alternate skin" of Isaac. Seriously, you can only differentiate Isaac and Matthew for the clothes. Everyone says that Felix or Matthew could replace Isaac AT. But actually i say... Garet, after all he was the first shown character using Move in Golden Sun. Move was also Mars Psynergy in GBA, in DS that was changed.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I doubt that would happen. Marth has never been replaced, why would Isaac be replaced?

Besides Matthew could easily be an alt costume for Isaac, they're most likely of similar height and build.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I doubt that would happen. Marth has never been replaced, why would Isaac be replaced?

Besides Matthew could easily be an alt costume for Isaac, they're most likely of similar height and build.
Well, Marth wasn't the main character of the "prologue" to another character either. Kind of a different situation.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well, Marth wasn't the main character of the "prologue" to another character either. Kind of a different situation.
Camelot can make all the statements they want, but as long as Isaac is the face of and most recognizable character from his series, chances are he'll keep the Smash spot.
Especially if he experiences the effects of actually becoming playable in Smash, in which his popularity will skyrocket and he will pretty much become synonymous with the series, as Marth has become with FE.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Camelot can make all the statements they want, but as long as Isaac is the face of and most recognizable character from his series, chances are he'll keep the Smash spot.
Especially if he experiences the effects of actually becoming playable in Smash, in which his popularity will skyrocket and he will pretty much become synonymous with the series, as Marth has become with FE.
True. Hadn't considered that one.

Top Bottom