• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Gates of Hell: Bayonetta Social Thread

Benmjy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Benmjy
3DS FC
1203-9240-1897
To get a hang of Bayonetta, how would you guys say I should practice? Online, CPUs or Training?

Benmjy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Benmjy
3DS FC
1203-9240-1897
Never CPUs, Some in training, some 1-on-1 in person, online if you absolutely have no other choice.
Would never winning online be a detriment to training? I'm not sure I could honestly ever win a match with any character

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
Would never winning online be a detriment to training? I'm not sure I could honestly ever win a match with any character
No, losing is almost always better experience than winning. The best experience is losing, figuring out why, and turning it around to win, but either way you'll improve faster playing people who are better than you

---

Duck Hunt might not be a great stage for us, by the way. The extra hitlag from the ducks is ruining my combos when I run into them.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Simply put, there's playing to win and then there's playing to learn. Right now, it's every umbra witch's priority to LEARN.

To get a hang of Bayonetta, how would you guys say I should practice? Online, CPUs or Training?
Play Bayonetta lol.

That's actually a reference to Virtua Fighter. I forgot the exact quote :/
JUUNEN HAYAINDAYO! "You're ten years too young!" The line is also under the sound test so it's definitely intentional. Apparently, she says that line if you clear battle with tetsuzanko with a pure platinum.

I AKU I

Smash Cadet
NNID
murphed
A quick test seems to show that hitting someone with the bullet art of a move stales that move as if you had landed it

With that, I'd guess that it acts like you hit the duck etc. with your move.

I'm not 100% up on how staling works in this game, but in Brawl I believe "Fair on Mario" and "Fair on balloon" were considered two different moves in the staling queue, or something along those lines. So this should be a good thing, unless I misunderstand the mechanics.
Staling is exactly the same is it was in brawl with the small exception of character produced items. I just had no idea if the bullet arts were considered an entirely different move, or if they were still part of the move you were using. I was hoping that this could be used to keep her kill moves fresh on Duck Hunt or Smashville, but I just saw your next comment on hitlag interfering with combos on Duck Hunt.

In any case, what do you all think her best stages are? Lylat seems like it'd be up there.

Last edited:

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
Lylat or Town & City are my best bets. Other than the obvious tilt factor of the former she loves low hanging platforms and much like the rest of the "top tiers", she's going to get a lot of mileage out of low ceilings.

I have to say I imagine most players weren't conscious about stage striking Lylat in the past (cause few characters got benefits) but I get the sense that people are going to default to striking that when battling a Bayonetta player lmao.

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
Lylat or Town & City are my best bets. Other than the obvious tilt factor of the former she loves low hanging platforms and much like the rest of the "top tiers", she's going to get a lot of mileage out of low ceilings.

I have to say I imagine most players weren't conscious about stage striking Lylat in the past (cause few characters got benefits) but I get the sense that people are going to default to striking that when battling a Bayonetta player lmao.
This, and I'd also ad DL for having a low ceiling and plats.

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
Behold, GIFs!

With only the most appropriate colors ;p
I'll get to the Bayo 1 versions soon!

Last edited:

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Anybody else having recovery problems. I'm so not use to her recovery because I always use my double jump before I recover now I have to change up my playstyle in recovery and that's going to be hard. Anyways, I really like Bayonetta and I think I could get really good with her I just have to master Witch Twist.

Benmjy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Benmjy
3DS FC
1203-9240-1897
I've never won more online in my life! I would say I won 65% of matches which is insane for me, all with Bayo! I can definitely feel her getting more comfortable in my hands and I'm really happy with what I've done :) So glad to call her my new main!

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
When it comes to recovering, I do slip up on occasion, but as long as I remember the golden rule "sideB or upB first, then jump," I recover just fine. Dont forget that you can sideB even after two upBs and a jump.

And be conscious of doing sideB/UpB combos near the ledge, as you might end up SDing

Last edited:

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
When it comes to recovering, I do slip up on occasion, but as long as I remember the golden rule "sideB or upB first, then jump," I recover just fine. Dont forget that you can sideB even after two upBs and a jump.
Her recovery is going to take a while to get use to for me lol. Thank you though.

And be conscious of doing sideB/UpB combos near the ledge, as you might end up SDing

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
Anybody else having recovery problems. I'm so not use to her recovery because I always use my double jump before I recover now I have to change up my playstyle in recovery and that's going to be hard. Anyways, I really like Bayonetta and I think I could get really good with her I just have to master Witch Twist.
I've been playing with tap jump on for my entire Smash career, but that's not really going to be viable with Bayo so I'm having and issue with that

I also keep wondering why I can't Up B OoS

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
So how often do you guys use Bullet Arts? I've played so much of her games that I have a habit of using them too much haha.
I usually like to start off a match with Dtilt BAs to get off some quick damage as they try to approach, but I don't think that;s my best option :0

Last edited:

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
I've been playing with tap jump on for my entire Smash career, but that's not really going to be viable with Bayo so I'm having and issue with that

I also keep wondering why I can't Up B OoS
Yeah, I've been playing with Tap Jump as well. I guess I just have to work around it

Last edited:

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
So how often do you guys use Bullet Arts? I've played so much of her games that I have a habit of using them too much haha.
I usually like to start off a match with Dtilt BAs to get off some quick damage as they try to approach, but I don't think that;s my best option :0
Almost never except when spamming SH Nair or holding nair/fair to kill airdodges or edgeguard.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
So, I really want to make Bayonetta my main and Cloud as my Secondary. So I'm going to have to grind out Bayonetta alot and learn some Combos, Tech, and learn how to recover better by not using my Double Jump (Which is going to be tough)

Are you guys making Bayonetta your main or secondary?

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Oh, so small discovery for those having trouble with the Hadoken input. B-stick makes it incredibly easy. Side-b, but hold down on the analog stick. Very easy b reverses as well.

I'm considering it now, since the Smashes aren't really fast enough to want them on the cstick anyway.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I'm trying to understand how people can immediately F-air after Witch Twist. Like here:
Every time I try they jet get knocked too far away to connect. Was it just bad DI on Sheik's part or am I missing something?

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
Hadouken input for down-angled Afterburner Kick is stupid. I know it has been said a million times, but it really is much easier just to press down and then side b. I can now consistently down angle the kicks after not being able to do it at all last night.

I'm also really liking the fair1 shenanigans. I didn't watch the supposed 0-death video, so I was really surprised when I carried a R.O.B. cpu across the stage and into the blast zone.

The toughest thing for me right now is to remember to up b/side b before using my double jump and to correctly use witch time. I'm loving how she plays, though. It's the counter-intuitive aspects of her that I need to learn to get used to.

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
So far with Bayo,
-guns do SO MUCH DAMAGE. Use them after every move
-b guns can be cancel with shield or roll
-do up b, then up b to the right or left, then double jump do up b one more time. Saving the dbble jump is important for another up b
-down smash spike SUPER satisfying
-taunt can be canceled to smashes or attacks
-forward throw can kill at the edge at high percents (around 120ish)
-down air spikes
-chaining fair in multiple fairs into up b and side bs
-side b is a good combo starter
-airdodge is funny looking
-sexy as hell

More first impressions and a breakdown of Bayo!

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g_sRDCD92k

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Same, but I've online with her. Good God, Corrin is ****ing stupid on For Glory. I normally don't grind on there, but I'd like to get comfortable with her.
I suck ass with everyone and I know people are talking about me when I fail sooo

Plus it seems Im not good with bayo, hm

Last edited:

Benmjy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Benmjy
3DS FC
1203-9240-1897
I'm honestly kind of in shock, I've been using Bayo online all night and I've been doing fairly well? I'm getting really comfortable with her, it's so satisfying to spike with her dsmash off stage. Now I'm worried I'm picking up bad habits from For Glory opponents but I won't be participating in any tournaments any time soon so oh well. (I'm sorry for rambling I'm just really proud of myself)

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Anybody notice that Heel Stomp (dsmash) actually has a hitbox on Bayonetta's own foot like in her game?

Action Kazimer

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1005-9002-5481
I'm trying to understand how people can immediately F-air after Witch Twist.
Every time I try they jet get knocked too far away to connect. Was it just bad DI on Sheik's part or am I missing something?
Same problem. Feel like I'm missing something.

Pancakesonfire

Smash Rookie
So idk if this is a legit combo but try first hit of F-air into a quick double jump sweet spot dair! I've tried against multiple people and it kills pretty early

Mothman

Smash Apprentice

wow my two favorite games now in one, this is basically me....(I really need to find out if theres a video to this oh my god)

Croi

Smash Lord
Posting in this thread because I main Duck Hunt and am strongly considering picking up Bayonetta. She's daunting as hell but it would be nice to main a character that is a character most of the time. Let's play some games sometime!

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I love angled After Burner Kick this move is soooooo boss.

I was struggling with Bae before I knew how to do it, and I'm still struggling, but now... less.

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
Anyone else feel like corrin is utter cancer? Especially as far as matchups go?

Like, they're literally "fsmash the character," and that neutral B is frankly ********.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Only 10 hours till I can play as Bayonetta...
*cries uncontrollably*
btw, does anyone have some tips? A friend of mine kept fangasming about her dair, but I'd like to know some tips and tricks from you guys quickly

Mothman

Smash Apprentice
I'm actually kinda happy with progress today as playing Bayonetta, my first time using a combo character too but today I was able to finally do her side b,up b,air side b x2,nair combo and my results were pretty good on FG, I'm hoping I can get down the fair fair up b combo soon etc, at least I'm starting to get the hang of the down angled after burner kick though Im not exactly sure when it's an appropriate time to use it......also I need to work on remember to save my jump before using witch twist when Im off stage (like I'm legit sure that 50% off all my deaths have been me trying to go for a dair meteor smash and then failing to get back up cus I didnt save my jump to after the first witch twist)

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
*cries uncontrollably*
btw, does anyone have some tips? A friend of mine kept fangasming about her dair, but I'd like to know some tips and tricks from you guys quickly
When recovering, remember to use Witch Twist (Up-B) before double jump. Had to drill that into my head.

Top Bottom