• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U The games freezes when I press pause

Dulop

Smash Cadet
Hey guys. I've just purchased the wiiU and the smash 4.
Everything is fine except when, in the middle of a fight, I pause the game. The games freezes. Not totally, I can move the camera arround, but I cannot back to game, nor home. Just turn off the console and start again.

Any solution? Anyone had this bug? thank you

A-money2121

Smash Journeyman
I don't understand, you should probably move your controls around. I have an idea of what you're trying to do, and usually pressing the same buttons, the menu would pop back up. If not, then I suppose it's a complete glitch, but shouldn't affect your game in bad ways.

If not, perhaps the glitch would get noticed and patched soon enough.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dulop

Smash Cadet
I don't understand, you should probably move your controls around. I have an idea of what you're trying to do, and usually pressing the same buttons, the menu would pop back up. If not, then I suppose it's a complete glitch, but shouldn't affect your game in bad ways.
All the buttons disable, I can't unpause the game, can't take a picture, can't press the combiation to exit the fight. I can only move the camera or shut down the console.

It seems a bug, but I dont know, I hope gets patched.

David Wonn

Smash Ace
If certain buttons are stuck (or the console thinks they are) then the Start button's default behavior is generally overridden. This has been true of Nintendo consoles since the N64 to allow such button combinations to re-calibrate the analog sticks (and buttons in the case of the GameCube controller.)

If you are using a GameCube controller, hold X+Y+Start for three seconds and see if that fixes it.

If you are using the Gamepad, try moving it far enough out of range of your console. It will time out after one minute.

If you are using any other controller, try the Home button and re-detect the controllers. If that doesn't work, usually a Wiimote or Pro controller will time out if left idle for a few minutes.

If all else fails, try using a different controller than what you are currently using. It sounds to me like certain buttons are getting stuck in the "on" position.

HeavyMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bloodriot779
If the above doesn't work, you could try deleting any data of Smash 4 from your Wii U. That's a really strange bug, never heard it do that to anyone before.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
No buttons work under pause if the control stick is tilted or a button is already pressed. This is to allow you to press combination of buttons (like restart) without accidentaly taking a picture or unpausing the game (although this still happens plenty).

Check your controllers, most probably one either has a faulty control stick or stuck buttons.

D

Deleted member

Did you try powering down the system and rebooting?
If that doesn't work, try re-syncing the Wii U Game Pad or Wii U Pro Controller (whichever you're using).

I've noticed with the Wii U Pro Controller sometimes it acts jank outta nowhere sometimes on console boot and I have to re-sync it sometimes.

Dulop

Smash Cadet
Did you try powering down the system and rebooting?
If that doesn't work, try re-syncing the Wii U Game Pad or Wii U Pro Controller (whichever you're using).

I've noticed with the Wii U Pro Controller sometimes it acts jank outta nowhere sometimes on console boot and I have to re-sync it sometimes.
Yes, and also tried formating the wiiu to system default. But the home button still not work. I think that's the problem with the freezing.

D

Deleted member

Yes, and also tried formating the wiiu to system default. But the home button still not work. I think that's the problem with the freezing.
If you have a defective Game Pad you'll have to call Nintendo's support phone number, they are very nice and you'll have to ship it to them (at their expense).

In the mean time, to cheaply operate the Wii U while you're Game Pad is being repaired, use a Wii Remote to navigate the menus.

Last edited by a moderator:

David Wonn

Smash Ace
^

Just bear in mind while your Gamepad is away, you will not be able to access system settings without it. Be sure you don't need to modify TV settings (HDMI vs. non-HDMI), adjust clock for daylight savings, etc. anytime soon.

As far as Smash is concerned, you only need it for Amiibos and for modifying custom stages. Otherwise everything else is perfectly functional via other controllers.

Top Bottom